EON to produce new action thriller 'Remote Control' with Gerard Butler

2»

Comments

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Definitely not getting a new Bond to celebrate the 60th anniversary in 2022
    Hope this doesn't delay Bond 26

MGM are more likely to delay B26 than this.
  • I think there are two ongoing lines of argument on this site:

1) EON can't out films as fast as they used to because they're just a small family business and modern movies are massive operations.

2) EON are managing the Bond franchise just fine and these other side projects (Films Stars, Rhythm Section, etc) are no distraction.

But you can't really have it both ways - if EON have the capacity to make all sorts of side projects (it's a few of them now!), then surely they should also be able to run a tighter ship on Bond. But if they're stretched thin on Bond, they should shed some of these other projects.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    EFM Big Deal: Leonine Picks Up German Rights To Gerard Butler Action-Thriller ‘Remote Control’
    https://deadline.com/2020/02/gerard-butler-remote-control-leonine-germany-stx-efm-1202866026/
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    octofinger wrote: »
    I think there are two ongoing lines of argument on this site:

1) EON can't out films as fast as they used to because they're just a small family business and modern movies are massive operations.

2) EON are managing the Bond franchise just fine and these other side projects (Films Stars, Rhythm Section, etc) are no distraction.

But you can't really have it both ways - if EON have the capacity to make all sorts of side projects (it's a few of them now!), then surely they should also be able to run a tighter ship on Bond. But if they're stretched thin on Bond, they should shed some of these other projects.

You're forgetting one critical element in all this: MGM.

MGM needs a producing partner for Bond. They can’t make these on their own anymore, which is why deals were made with Sony and Universal throughout Craig's run. Universal only struck a one film deal with MGM, and they only made that deal because Daniel Craig was attached as the star. In order for EON to make Bond 26, they need MGM to find another production partner that would be interested in investing in a non-Craig Bond film.

Also the only reason NTTD was delayed was not because EON was focusing on side projects, it was delayed because Daniel Craig wanted a break and they granted him that.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    octofinger wrote: »
    I think there are two ongoing lines of argument on this site:

You're forgetting one critical element in all this: MGM.

MGM needs a producing partner for Bond. They can’t make these on their own anymore, which is why deals were made with Sony and Universal throughout Craig's run. Universal only struck a one film deal with MGM, and they only made that deal because Daniel Craig was attached as the star. In order for EON to make Bond 26, they need MGM to find another production partner that would be interested in investing in a non-Craig Bond film.

Also the only reason NTTD was delayed was not because EON was focusing on side projects, it was delayed because Daniel Craig wanted a break and they granted him that.

Wasn't NTTD also a bit delayed by MGM not settling on a distribution partner on time? When SP released, MGW said that they'd find a partner by January 2016, it took them until May 2018 to announce the deal.

When it comes to MGM, the Bond franchise will face uncertain times that could have far more impact than EON making a film.
    The moment MGM effectively sells the whole thing off, things get way more complicated. Best case scenario is that they stay partnered with Universal and renew that deal, but that might lead to some hefty negotiations too.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Negotiations may become tricky. If Universal renews, they may want to chip in on who the next Bond should be and if they don't like EON's choice they'll turn it down and MGM will have to look for a different partner that is comfortable with EON's choice.

The thing that made it relatively easy with Sony was that Amy Pascal was EON's ally and supported Craig's casting.
    Too close to Bond regarding the basic idea..................... why do this? I think they need to spend more time and care on 007, if you ask me.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    To be honest, they should be working towards Bond 26 & the 7th Bond. Instead of focusing on something that looks like what might stumble at the Box-Office again. After the Ignominious situation of The Rhythm Section, am surprised they're thinking of making another film that's looking like another RIP-off from other action films.
    delfloria wrote: »
    Too close to Bond regarding the basic idea..................... why do this? I think they need to spend more time and care on 007, if you ask me.

Well, exactly. It's their moneymaker, the franchise the public is interested in and when you have sure thing, why go for lesser?

I think Broccoli and Saltzman discovered this back with projects like Call Me Bwana with Bob Hope and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, which I understand didn't do as well as we'd think it did, although Saltzman still did other films with other studios. I recall an interview with Cubby in the '80s and him mentioning they had other titles, but maybe he had the foresight to know they weren't worth going forward with. George Lucas used to say something similar and I think he's only done one such project to moderate success.

Just because you can do other projects, why do them if they don't have any real potential?