NO TIME TO DIE (2020) by Billie Eilish - Theme Song Discussion

Comments

• edited February 2020 Posts: 11,425
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Burgess wrote: »

Very interesting interview. And the more I hear the song, the more I like it. I actually think it is a classic - a slow burn classic. This song will grow and grow, I think.

I've listened to it several times and cannot remember anything about it. TWOTW was similar. I actually think they're both half decent but just lack that something extra to make them classics. A memorable melody or riff I guess. I actually think TWOTW might be better.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited February 2020 Posts: 16,328
    I can't remember anything about the song either. It's just so dull and lifeless.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    I was initially underwhelmed by this track. I'd listened to it on a mobile phone speaker. However, after around 15 plays of it, I think it's the best of the Craig era. Make sure it's played on decent equipment and at a good volume. Absolutely cracking track that reveals more with each listen. EoN have played a blinder by using Billie.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2020 Posts: 10,586
    I was initially underwhelmed by this track. I'd listened to it on a mobile phone speaker. However, after around 15 plays of it, I think it's the best of the Craig era. Make sure it's played on decent equipment and at a good volume. Absolutely cracking track that reveals more with each listen. EoN have played a blinder by using Billie.
    Agreed. Listening on a phone speaker doesn't to it (or any song for that matter) justice. I guarantee people will be more enthusiastic once they hear it in the theatre along with Kleinman's visuals.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Murdock wrote: »
    I can't remember anything about the song either. It's just so droll and lifeless.

You think it's at once amusing and lifeless?
  • DrinmanDrinman New York
    I agree with the above comments. Listened to it on my phones speaker while walking home from the store and wasn't a huge fan of it. Went home and played it on my headphones and fell in love with it.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Many on the fence will come to really appreciate the song once the film is released and they hear it in the context of the story and a stronger association is formed.

I

• Just watched the BRIT awards performance. Amazing! =D>
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I can't remember anything about the song either. It's just so droll and lifeless.

Autocorrect is annoying isn't it? I meant dull.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 1,261
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Sarcasm aside, the song IS great.
    Now you´re going too far.

giphy.gif

Maybe you'd rather have The Hoff doing the song? Hey, this guy made the Berlin Wall collapsing.
    I really like the song. My wife and two kids all love it so in our house at least it bridges the generations!!. I’d go as far as to say it’s my joint favourite with Skyfall
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 1,261

Very interesting interview. And the more I hear the song, the more I like it. I actually think it is a classic - a slow burn classic. This song will grow and grow, I think.
    I've listened to it several times and cannot remember anything about it. TWOTW was similar. I actually think they're both half decent but just lack that something extra to make them classics. A memorable melody of riff I guess. I actually think TWOTW might be better.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611985f8c15599242a0b6b14f4970b6e610d42021bf&rid=giphy.gif
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

Autocorrect is annoying isn't it? I meant dull.

Maybe there is a slight Zimmer of hope you'll enjoy the score.
    I've listened to it several times including using headphones. I think it's okay but it really lacks any memorable motif that sticks with you. I don't think it's the worst song we've had by any means. Lyrically I think it's excellent. Just nothing there to leave a lasting impression.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I'm not sure what it's been like for others but at least in my experience so far I find there's been a lot of chatter about the song. Not just media but having been at work, out with friends, and other social interactions. The reception is all positive too. Casuals and non-fans alike. I don't remember this much chatter when WOTW was released whereas as this already seems to be hitting Skyfall levels of discussion.
    Skyfall is a better all round Bond song. But YKMN is the best of the Craig era. Cornell and Arnold hit it out of the park with that one.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    Johnny Marr described that song perfectly. It is minimalist. He's such a tasteful player who appreciates great music. Not every track has to sound like Shirley Bassey or Tom Jones. That's the beauty of the franchise; for every Dire 'Nother Day, there's a Skyfall for balance. Not everyone will like the things I like. I got my man in Craig, but could next end up with someone awful like Cavill. Different strokes for different folks.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    NTTD is itching toward taking SF’s place for me as the best it the Craig era. The real test is how it plays in the film and further cements its place.

Certainly not unmemorable, unless you only listened to it once and took effort to never listen never to it again.
    If find the “fool me once/fool me twice” very earwormy.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    It's been stuck in my head for nearly a week now. It's becoming quite annoying, honestly.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,247
    I have to confess, I've resisted listening to the song so far...coz I want to hear it with Daniel Kleinman's Visuals. Coz the wonder Kleinman's Visuals can do to a song, is second-to-none...even if the song is already good. For instance, in YKMN once Cornell says 'Arm Yourselves'....am imagining the Henchman in the title sequence attacking Bond with the knife, with Bond stylishly disarming & dispatching him. And when Cornell says 'Are you ready to Die?', I imagine a Card flipping & bearing Number 7 and two shots are fired near the 7 to make it 007. Or when Shirley Manson says 'The World is not Enough'...I can imagine Women sitting on Worlds floating around the Screen OR Oil descending and turning into women and a whole lot of others, which I know we already know as Bond fans.

I want Kleinman's Visuals to leave that first impression on me, so I can really, really like the song at the very first listen. Maybe if Kleinman did AWTD's titles it might have improved that song....one will never know. I really think the Visuals from the title sequence planted in one's head, adds a sort of Subconscious visualization, when listening to the song. It's not been easy for me resisting to listen to Eilish's track though.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Matt007 wrote: »

I'm just glad to know that the phrase has spread to other US states besides Texas now:

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside

Yeah same, its the only part of the song that is stuck in my head
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 5,767
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Sarcasm aside, the song IS great.
    Now you´re going too far.

giphy.gif

Maybe you'd rather have The Hoff doing the song? Hey, this guy made the Berlin Wall collapsing.
    What sad little world do you live in? Where I come from we have artists who make really cool music, there is no necessity to chose between two weevils.

• MonsieurMerciMonsieurMerci France
    edited February 2020 Posts: 98
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I have to confess, I've resisted listening to the song so far...coz I want to hear it with Daniel Kleinman's Visuals.
    I'm trying to do the same! I've failed with Adele (too famous, I've began to hear the song in a supermarket, then I've made a proper listen at home while I've been spoiled), and haven't bothered to try with Sam Smith.

I'm expecting to suceed with Billie Eilish, that will bring me back to the past Bond (lesser know) movies where I've discovered the song when seing the film for the 1st time.
    As a Billie Eilish's work lover, I think it will be a memorable moment. 49 days left!

NTTD is really growing on me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Johnny Marr is saying lots of things that get me excited! Hope he Vic Flicks the hell out of this score.
    I’d much rather he Johnny Marrs the hell out of it! He’s yer actual guitar legend! :D
    The soundtrack release for No Time To Die will include an epic, sweeping orchestral version of Billie Eilish’s title track, co-written with her brother Finneas O’Connell.
    https://www.007.com/no-time-to-die-soundtrack/
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,548
    Switching on the radio I missed the announcement, but instantly recognised the intro to Gil Evans's 'Where Flamingos Fly'.
    Except that it wasn’t.
    It was instead the intro to Billie Eilish’s theme tune for No Time to Die. Perhaps others have noticed these remarkable similarities, similarities which do not end with the introduction. Further into the song a high point is reached by a melody strongly reminiscent of one in Sheryl Crowe’s Tomorrow Never Dies.
    But, the words and music aside, Eilish really makes the song her own by contributing the dirge-like quality of her voice. Doubtless the Bond producers had their reasons for considering Eilish's song a fitting theme for Daniel Craig's 007 farewell. For many Bond fans, though, I suspect it will remain a puzzle worthy of an Agatha Christie or Conan Doyle sleuth. Hugely disappointing.

I do, but the similarities are only in the intro.

Have you been reading these boards? Number one hit. Critical success. Most fans like it.

In any case, speaking of ripoffs. This is the greatest film score rip off in history, imho, and it involves Zimmer:

Ripped off by...

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I’m glad I’m not miserable like this guy: http://n007.thegoldeneye.com/film_commentary/bond25/nttd_title_song_review.html

Though he’s been aggressively anti-Craig since day one.