NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Americans aren’t as important for Bond.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.

Exactly that's an issue they have to make everyone happy now to just make it an success let alone above the break even point.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    007Blofeld wrote: »

Exactly that's an issue they have to make everyone happy now to just make it an success let alone above the break even point.

Can you elaborate on this, please?
    I hope they go full woke just so we can get another rant from this basement dweller.

Are you kidding? The American market is incredibly important. Just look at EON and MGM/UA's reaction to the U.S. box office returns for LTK, or the fact that Brosnan was initially hired (for TLD) based on his success in an American television program.
    Escalus5 wrote: »

Are you kidding? The American market is incredibly important. Just look at EON and MGM/UA's reaction to the U.S. box office returns for LTK, or the fact that Brosnan was initially hired (for TLD) based on his success in an American television program.

That all changed with CR becoming a bigger hit internationally with a very modest US take.
    Escalus5 wrote: »

I don't think he said it wasn't important. It's just not AS important as international, these days.
    That all changed with CR becoming a bigger hit internationally with a very modest US take.

Doesn't look modest to me:

https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=4653
    It is indeed modest. In Marvel comparisons, that’s closer to ANT-MAN.

No I'm not going to.

No I'm not going to.

I see.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Beijing premiere canceled amid Coronavirus fears, China box office likely to suffer.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-james-bond-cancels-beijing-tour-because-this-is-no-time-to-die-69cwqrvr8

Lets be honest, all films to be released in China are going to suffer because of this virus.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    Beijing premiere canceled amid Coronavirus fears, China box office likely to suffer.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-james-bond-cancels-beijing-tour-because-this-is-no-time-to-die-69cwqrvr8

Lets be honest, all films to be released in China are going to suffer because of this virus.

Exactly, and Bond is not a China-dependent franchise like Marvel or The Fast and Furious. Mulan will probably take the biggest hit this Spring. Hopefully, Chinese theaters will open back up by the time NTTD premiers. Worst case scenario is that $60 to $100 million is left on the table. The middle ground would be NTTD doing Skyfall numbers. With recent box office successes like Bad Boys 3 and Sonic, my gut tells me that NTTD could over perform in the US. Skyfall did $300m in 2012. So, it's doable. Also, Joker was rated R and didn't show in China yet it hit $1billion.

• peterpeter Toronto
    matt_u wrote: »
    70 millions more than SP in the US would be very good. It would basically guarantee the 1 billion mark.

And finally a certain Aiden Turner fan will stop with the doomsday box-office predictions. ;-)

He's been awfully quiet with predictions of late @DaltonCraig007
    Not Bond related but this is a lesson EON should learn listen to all your fans and what they want it's what Cubby did just listen to what the paramount executive said they weren't happy and we listened and fix what they weren't happy with EON should learn a lesson and listen and get rid of the stuff the fans don't want. I won't say what because well you know why. https://variety.com/2020/film/box-office/sonic-box-office-beat-expectations-1203505337/
  • 007Blofeld wrote: »
    Not Bond related but this is a lesson EON should learn listen to all your fans and what they want it's what Cubby did just listen to what the paramount executive said they weren't happy and we listened and fix what they weren't happy with EON should learn a lesson and listen and get rid of the stuff the fans don't want. I won't say what because well you know why. https://variety.com/2020/film/box-office/sonic-box-office-beat-expectations-1203505337/
    Yeah, but then you also get something like The Rise of Skywalker where it doesn't have any identity or credibility as a film because it's too concerned trying to please grumpy people on reddit threads.
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    Yeah, but then you also get something like The Rise of Skywalker where it doesn't have any identity or credibility as a film because it's too concerned trying to please grumpy people on reddit threads.

They wouldn't have had that problem if they did things right the first time. Remember a qoute from Bond "You forgot the first rule of mass media, Elliot: give the people what they want."
    History shows us that relative lack of interest from US audiences isn't necessarily a bad thing in the grand scheme of things but in this case they are clearly feeling that they want to make sure it's an event there. Tomorrow's Brit awards thing is literally the first major piece of marketing that's not aimed towards the US - the trailer launch, the spots so far, the Eilish song, have all been tied towards the US market. And understandably so, especially with China now out of the equation mostly, might make the difference between hitting a billion or not.

And surely it's frustrating that while, say, in the UK and Europe you could call Bond on par with the likes of MCU and Star Wars...in the US you almost certainly can't.
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    As so many have mentioned before, critics and US market will determine the TND box office. I kinda feel that we might break 1b$ boundary, but just barely.

I also don't understand this need to emphasise "UK and Europe", it's like saying: "Brazil and South America."

They wouldn't have had that problem if they did things right the first time. Remember a qoute from Bond "You forgot the first rule of mass media, Elliot: give the people what they want."

That is always easier said than done. Disney's methodology with Star Wars could have just as easily worked out and, given the box office (aside from Solo), there's an argument that it has.

Plus, redesigning a CGI character, while expensive, is much less of a heavy lift than reshooting scenes. Changing a CGI character is comparatively superficial. We really have no idea whether or not NTTD works, even if it features things in the trailer that you don't like.

I think EON have been very responsive to criticisms. When fans complained about GE's musical score they got David Arnold. When fans disliked the excesses of DAD they paired things down with CR. EON listens even if they don't make a big show of it like Paramount did with Sonic or Disney did with Star Wars.

Burgess wrote: »
    I think EON have been very responsive to criticisms. When fans complained about GE's musical score they got David Arnold. When fans disliked the excesses of DAD they paired things down with CR. EON listens even if they don't make a big show of it like Paramount did with Sonic or Disney did with Star Wars.

Spot on and very important to note amidst all the worry and outrage. Eon have a track record for changing things that didn't work in a previous era (or discarding them altogether) when they are starting a new one. This will undoubtedly still apply when we get a new Bond.

You’d have a point if the backlash to what EON has presented with NTTD was as massive as Sonic’s f/x character design, except it’s never been the case. The most controversial thing that EON did that got massive fan backlash was Daniel Craig’s casting. If EON were as cowardly as Paramount and Disney then Craig would have never shot footage as Bond. Thankfully, Barbara Broccoli seems to have more brass balls than most of Hollywood and it paid off big time.

Thankfully EON never took to that quote and instead did something more interesting that got both fans and broad audiences more excited for Bond. Otherwise the box office for Craig’s run would by abysmal. And we ARE talking about box office right? Given your Sonic link is related to that.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2020/02/17/coronavirus-box-office-james-bond-tom-cruise-dwayne-johnson-mulan-f9-tenet-sonic-top-gun/amp/

"Spectre earned $83 million in China when it opened in late 2015, and there was every expectation that No Time to Die (which Universal is distributing overseas) would earn at least that much in April. Spectre grossed $881 million worldwide, so even an equal performance sans China still gets the $250 million-budgeted 007 adventure to $798 million (above Mission: Impossible – Fallout’s $792 million cume which included $136 million from China)."

You’d have a point if the backlash to what EON has presented with NTTD was as massive as Sonic’s f/x character design, except it’s never been the case. The most controversial thing that EON did that got massive fan backlash was Daniel Craig’s casting. If EON were as cowardly as Paramount and Disney then Craig would have never shot footage as Bond. Thankfully, Barbara Broccoli seems to have more brass balls than most of Hollywood and it paid off big time.

Thankfully EON never took to that quote and instead did something more interesting that got both fans and broad audiences more excited for Bond. Otherwise the box office for Craig’s run would by abysmal. And we ARE talking about box office right? Given your Sonic link is related to that.

Yeah I want no time to die to do the best at the box office.
  • Is there a possibility NTTD will be released in China later in the year?
  • DrinmanDrinman New York
    I think this is going to be bigger than Skyfall. Pretty much everyone I know is aware the movie is coming out and had positive things to say. I think the Superbowl spot, NBA spot and Oscar spot combined with the general audience having a good idea this is Daniel's last film have contributed to a big buzz.
    They could try, but isn't pirating a huge thing in China? It might be way too late to try to do a release when most of the country has already seen it through pirating.
    Even without the Beijing premier, the hope is to have theaters open in time for the release. Some money is better than none. Also, there may be pent up demand for entertainment when the quarantine ends.

I think NTTD is going to open big in the US: $92 - $110 million over the Easter weekend.
    • Long range tracking has the film between $70 to 100 million in the USA. Those are healthy numbers.
    • The press tour for the film begins in around 2 weeks (so soon!). Then the European roll-out commences.
    • The great advantage Bond has is that it will have been out in the Europe for over a week before it debuts in America. Which means they can flag the box office numbers overseas as a big selling point (it’s guaranteed to be huge in the UK).
    • If the reviews are good then this is just an added bonus to get US audiences excited. Though the European reviews for SP were mostly great, it was the USA who were lukewarm on it.
    • Aside from ‘Mulan’, NTTD is one of the first big blockbusters of 2020. So there is a whole audience being undernourished. This means they will be hungry when the film opens in April. There is a shocking lack of competition at the moment. It’s why family fare that looked destined to fail like ‘Sonic’ have been so successful as there is nothing else for them to see yet. Also, why ‘Bad Boys’ is doing so well. After ‘Star Wars’ there has been literally nothing for two months in cinemas to feed the young male audience.

I predict NTTD could very well be the second billion dollar Bond……..emphasis on the could
    I predict NTTD could very well be the second billion dollar Bond……..emphasis on the could

That's not a prediction then.