NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2020 Posts: 10,586
    xolani wrote: »
    So these are the first few seconds of the soundtrack that we get to hear, right?

I love the film-noirish trumpet Bond-theme at the end.
    Jesus Christ, this is amazing. Sounds like a cross between Zimmer, Arnold, and Barry. Very promising.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's the strings for the song rather than from the score, isn't it?
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Perhaps some Zimmer fans can enlighten me - do his scores often get released on vinyl and/or is there likely to be a vinyl release? That's my preferred physical format these days.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    mtm wrote: »
    This is what I can only assume to be a score recording session, so they're obviously incorporating the strings from Eilish's track into the score.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,861
    jake24 wrote: »
    This is what I can only assume to be a score recording session, so they're obviously incorporating the strings from Eilish's track into the score.

Why would someone from Eillish's camp be at a score session?
    Don't get me wrong; I'm sure they did the strings for the song in the same sessions along with the rest of the score (that is AIR Studios where they usually record them), but I don't get why an Eililsh account would post that.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    That's definitely AIR Studios. The stained glass is a giveaway (it's a repurposed church).
    edited February 2020 Posts: 10,586

Why would someone from Eillish's camp be at a score session?
    Don't get me wrong; I'm sure they did the strings for the song in the same sessions along with the rest of the score (that is AIR Studios where they usually record them), but I don't get why an Eililsh account would post that.
    I highly doubt the person filming is the same person posting directly to the account. Someone probably sent this video to the account, saw that it had Eilish's strings and gathered it was probably a recording session for the film's score.

What else would it be?

This was actually posted from Eilish's camp - she was present at this session so this is indeed from the song sessions:

antovolk wrote: »

This was actually posted from Eilish's camp - she was present at this session so this is indeed from the song sessions:

So is it from the score or not? I'm confused.

Guess we won't know until we see the film. But best to assume it's an alternative instrumental for the song, not score. Eilish talked in that new Apple interview about recording some different options to play with
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Guess we won't know until we see the film. But best to assume it's an alternative instrumental for the song, not score. Eilish talked in that new Apple interview about recording some different options to play with

It might be an instrumental cover like the WotW featured in the Spectre soundtrack.

Walecs wrote: »

It might be an instrumental cover like the WotW featured in the Spectre soundtrack.
    Structurally, it sounds completely different from the orchestra in the actual song. The version in the vid doesn't fit the lyrical structure of the song (especially the last 20 seconds). It is either an instrumental or part of the soundtrack.
  • Ryan wrote: »
    Perhaps some Zimmer fans can enlighten me - do his scores often get released on vinyl and/or is there likely to be a vinyl release? That's my preferred physical format these days.

both skyfall and spectre released in vinyl. I believe with vinyl's big return in 2019 it will surly released in vinyl too!
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified
    Uuuuughhh just saw that clip from the scoring session... I think I’m more hyped for Hans Zimmer’s score more than anything else at this point.
    Uuuuughhh just saw that clip from the scoring session... I think I’m more hyped for Hans Zimmer’s score more than anything else at this point.
    It might not even be a scoring session. Whatever it is though, it's far better than any Bond music from the last two films, and possibly beyond that.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 820
    Walecs wrote: »

Structurally, it sounds completely different from the orchestra in the actual song. The version in the vid doesn't fit the lyrical structure of the song (especially the last 20 seconds). It is either an instrumental or part of the soundtrack.

Agree with this. If it's an alt version of the song it's quite different. And given the song's intended vibe -- even if they're just playing around -- I'd be surprised if they actually considered ending it with that muted trumpet Bond theme flourish.

This really, really feels like score.

EDIT: Also, am I hearing choir during the "buildups?" Or is that horns? There's definitely a flavour there that's not strings, and not in the final song.
    silva13 wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    silva13 wrote: »
    Even if the movie is a mess atleast it will flow with great music,
    Haha, my feeling is exactly the other way round :-)).

I hope we're both proved happy then!
    It would take a huge miracle to make me happy with the music. Hopefully I can ignore it while watching the film.

In any case I think this is at least a general indication of the tone of the score since Zimmer and Ellish worked together on her song.
    Also it is possible they are just sitting in on the actually scoring session. I think it's something that they would do.................. I would.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    The recording was likely for the song, but since Zimmer himself orchestrated it I’m very confident we’ll hear instrumental variations of it throughout the film. It’s a very cinematic sounding song, and demands to be used at very crucial moments, particularly the big flourish at the end before the last chorus.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,861
    delfloria wrote: »
    Also it is possible they are just sitting in on the actually scoring session. I think it's something that they would do.................. I would.

She is pretty busy at the moment though, and it was rather on the other side of the Atlantic to where she's mostly been working and living! Not something to just do with her day :)
    The recording was likely for the song, but since Zimmer himself orchestrated it I’m very confident we’ll hear instrumental variations of it throughout the film. It’s a very cinematic sounding song, and demands to be used at very crucial moments, particularly the big flourish at the end before the last chorus.

I can see that rising four note motif working all the way through the film: it's quite Zimmer-ish actually.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited February 2020 Posts: 8,000

I can see that rising four note motif working all the way through the film: it's quite Zimmer-ish actually.

Yup. Piano version for the more quiet moments and the horns for the big moments. You're gonna walk out of the film with that four note motif stuck in your head all night.

Yup. Piano version for the more quiet moments and the horns for the big moments. You're gonna walk out of the film with that four note motif stuck in your head all night.

All week, all month, all year. Zimmer's got a penchant for doing that.
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified
    It might not even be a scoring session. Whatever it is though, it's far better than any Bond music from the last two films, and possibly beyond that.

I couldn’t agree with you more! I was listening to the Skyfall soundtrack earlier and it just seemed so...flat. However, I can confidently say that 55 sec. snippet we got edges out the last two soundtracks by a long shot: strings, brass, a Bondian motif, and quotes of the Bond theme itself? I’m in.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited February 2020 Posts: 8,009
    I'm probably alone in this but after hearing the above Zimmer-penned snippet I felt the urge to go back and listen to "Flight Into Space" from Moonraker - especially the last couple of minutes.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I'm probably alone in this but after hearing the above Zimmer-penned snippet I felt the urge to go back and listen to "Flight Into Space" from Moonraker - especially the last couple of minutes.

I was listening to a Barry Bond Spotify list I made last year only a few days ago and this came on. Definitely one his finest cues, if Zimmer can channel some of the magnificent atmosphere and mystery of this piece we are in good hands.

Barry was so much the master, though hopefully a legend like Zimmer can evoke Bond and also give it a new spin, so looking forward to see what Hans delivers to us.
    From Hans-Zimmer.com - the score credits

Music by Hans Zimmer
    Additional music by Steve Mazzaro
    Ambient music design by Mel Wesson
    Produced by Stephen Lipson

http://hans-zimmer.com/index.php?rub=disco&id=1812
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 4,400
    From Hans-Zimmer.com - the score credits

Music by Hans Zimmer
    Additional music by Steve Mazzaro
    Ambient music design by Mel Wesson
    Produced by Stephen Lipson

http://hans-zimmer.com/index.php?rub=disco&id=1812

Looks like Hans is hoovering up all the credit for himself on this one. How very.....expected.

I'm hoping Mazzaro gets a co-credit. Since he is likely doing a lot of work due to the time pressure.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    What on Earth is "ambient music design"?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    What on Earth is "ambient music design"?

He'll have someone working on sampling and doing sound design work that Zimmer can then incorporate into the performed sheet music. I'd imagine they'd use his demos as a baseline for it.