NO TIME TO DIE (2020) by Billie Eilish - Theme Song Discussion

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,861
    octofinger wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    There's a great comment by Cary Fukunaga in that IG thread.

"Passion has to disturb and push forward, otherwise it’s just slowly dying in nostalgia."

That's encouraged me more than just about anything else I've heard from this cast/crew.

That seems slightly ironic, relative to this song. It's decent but certainly not 'pushing forward' from the previous two songs.

I'd also say that 'pushing forward' is a bit complicated with Bond. The series is fundamentally formulaic, and has been for several decades and 20-odd films. 'Progress' in Bond films is always proscribed, it's always within the constraints of the formula.

To some extent, but I think songwriting shouldn't be quite as formulaic as this. Thunderball was Goldfinger again, sure; but You Only Live Twice and onwards: they were doing something more different than this one aspires to. She seems to have aimed at doing Writings on the Wall right, and seems to have managed that; but it's not pushing forward. It makes me actually respect Madonna for at least trying something different.
    I'm not totally down on this song by the way: it's utterly fine- I just wish it wasn't exactly the song we'd all been expecting it to be. It'd be nice if it had 'disturbed' in some way, as Fukunaga put it: but it wasn't even aiming to disturb.

Just listening to it: it's kind of hilarious in a way. When the verse ends and goes to the chorus you could literally start singing the chorus to Writing's On The Wall and it would fit perfectly :D Try it!
    Suspect that the shot from inside the train might transition away from Bond and into the song.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Just heard it and I kind of like it. I'm not crazy about Billie's voice (first time I heard a song of hers), but overall it fits a Bond movie nicely. Can't say I understood the entire lyrics the first time around. She seems to mumble a bit initially.

The orchestral arrangement is solid. Overall at least a mid-field entry among Bond themes, and better than at least three of the past five. Well, ok, that's not such an enormous achievement.
    antovolk wrote: »

Oh man that sounds so good. That last part gave me chills. Strings and Brass! Bond is back!
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    It’s a solid effort. Far better than the tripe we got last time. But I have to echo some members here who want a bit more pizzazz in the song to elevate it just a little bit more. I’m content with it, and I can’t wait to see how it is incorporated with the titles.
    I’m not sure why but I’m getting Tomorrow Never Dies vibes from this song.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    bondsum wrote: »
    That's kind of like using "triggered" or any other off-the-shelf response. Not very creative or informative. [-X
    I expected more from you @MakeshiftPython.

I could have done "ok boomer".

Besides, never set your expectations in a James Bond forum.
    Just listening to it: it's kind of hilarious in a way. When the verse ends and goes to the chorus you could literally start singing the chorus to Writing's On The Wall and it would fit perfectly :D Try it!
    This is exactly my point as well @mtm. I'm surprised no one else has spotted it, too. The lead-off from that verse is almost identical to TWOTW.
    Once again a decent song but the Craig era leaves you with a feeling of no special song that stands out, I guess after the Connery & Moore era we will never get that again.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    I have listened to No Time To Die a couple times now. My intial reaction was to be underwhelmed and found it in the same vein as Writings on the Wall. After a few listens I have picked up dofferent elements. Its not a belter of a song, which is what I had anticipated, its reserved, lyrical and calculated. My feelings about it are this will be like You Only Live Twice for me. A theme that initially seemed pedestrian but after multiple listens becomes more sophisticated and impressive. As many have already mentioned the impressions of the theme is heavily tied to the films quality. If this themes lyrics and mood mirror a great bond film it will likely become one of my favourites. Either way I implore all to space out your listening to this song, watch the clip produced by 007 with the song snippet included and dont dismiss it because it reminds you of the past two themes. For better or worse this is a Billie Eilish song which means it will likely please her fans earning the film some good buzz. While it may not be the big brass, or bombastic style many expect and want, it is still distincly Bondian. I think there is a nuance to the way Finneas, Billie, Hans and Steve made the song represent the artists work outside Bond while also capturing some Bondian sounds. No Time To Die the song impressed me one other way. Lyrically it is not cheesy, which can be quite difficult with Bond themes. Writings on the Wall is guilty of this as is Die Another Day and even to a certian extent License to Kill. I cant wait to hear covers which focus on the orchestration and lyrics more than the Eilish mood.
    It would be ludicrous to have a song akin to Thunderball, Live and Let Die etc for a film with a narrative that this is supposed to have.

By all accounts, Bond is suspicious, betrayed, paranoid, retired - the suspects the woman he has given everything up for has betrayed him etc etc. Some balls out brassy belter singing about how good he is at killing and bedding would be daft.

The song is OK - but the song in context of the visuals and tone they seem to be going for is excellent.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=9&v=pO6wDBss8PI&feature=emb_logo
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Univex wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »

Oh man that sounds so good. That last part gave me chills. Strings and Brass! Bond is back!

That's Air Studios isn't it? Interesting that they did the strings for the song there- maybe recording the score at the same time?
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    I've had this song on repeat all day, trying to digest it and form a view. I said prior to its release that I was worried that Eilish doesn't have the maturity in her voice to carry a Bond theme and I was right, IMO. Before Eilish was announced as the singer for the title theme, I was hoping for a big Bond theme in the ilk of Goldfinger or Thunderball or upbeat like YKMN but when she was revealed as the artist my hopes diminished. We've gotten exactly what I expected.

I will say this of Eilish's efforts, though.

As an isolated Bond theme it's pretty average, IMO. I don't think it will go down as an iconic song in the Bond cannon. It never elevates like a classic Bond song should. The crescendo at the end is the highlight, but unfortunately it appears too late to be appreciated. However, I will admit that I really like the lyrics and I think in the context of the film it will work well. I like the arrangement by Zimmer, but there's points during the chorus where it sounds almost like Karoke as they switch between real strings and synthesised strings. The addition of the Bond theme early is a nice touch, but at the end it's a bit jarring as it doesn't fit with the tone. The song plays it extremely safe, IMO. I know that WOTW gets trashed a fair bit on these forums, but to me that felt more Bondesque, IMO. Not lyrically, but overall. YKMN remains unequivocally Craig's best Bond song.

The song is written from the perspective of Bond himself, IMO. The lyric about faces from his past appearing worries me about the film as I feel that NTTD attempting to wrap up all five of Craig's films will be a futile endeavour.

Given the footage we received with this release and what we know of the run time, I feel like NTTD is going to spend a pretty substantial period of time reinforcing the relationship between Bond and Madeleine that should've been built in SP. I never really bought the relationship between them in SP so it appears this film will try rectify that problem. The burning note Bond is holding at the grave seems to say Palazzo Venezia or something of that ilk down the bottom, which makes me further think this note is from Vesper. Overall, I'm loving the visuals from this film and the cinematography looks awesome. Eilish's song hasn't captured me, though. It's more of the same from the Craig era which is a shame as it would've been nice to see him to go out with a more upbeat theme.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    This is exactly my point as well @mtm. I'm surprised no one else has spotted it, too. The lead-off from that verse is almost identical to TWOTW.

In my head I did start singing the chorus to WOTW - the falsetto part. It does follow a musical pattern. But then big bruising ballads have dominated the last 3 Craig films. This is the least obvious, the least catchy, but the most interesting of the three.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    JamesCraig wrote: »

wow-- hair on neck standing to attention for Mr. Bond.
    I feel now more then ever that hiring Eilish to sing this song was a marketing move to attract a younger audience to Bond.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 6,665
    I was expecting a Madonna type, Bad guy kind of song from Eilish, with a beat and some weird stuff going on, not unlike that Sigmund Freud crap, or "duh"s.

So, I really really like it. I was pleasantly surprised. And after Smith's falsetto crap on an average ballad, this is a very interesting voice (sometimes it even gives me Jeff Buckley's vibes) in an average ballad. So, I do like it.

And mix it with the visuals and it really works. That new footage of Bond and Swann sold the film to me, frankly. I didn't want a SP2 kind of scenario. But if this song is Smith's done right, maybe the film will be SP done right, if you know what I mean.

Maybe in a decade time we'll see the two films as companion pieces. And the whole of Craig's era as something narratively more solid.

And that soundtrack snippet was stellar. Love that brass in the end. So 60s. So Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,861
    NicNac wrote: »

In my head I did start singing the chorus to WOTW - the falsetto part. It does follow a musical pattern. But then big bruising ballads have dominated the last 3 Craig films. This is the least obvious, the least catchy, but the most interesting of the three.

I think Skyfall is probablly the most interesting in that it's at least Adele's take on a Bond theme; this seems more what Ellish and her brother think a Bond theme sounds like, so it's come out a bit more generic. I know the melody to Skyfall isn't exactly the strongest but it at least has a bit of a unique feel to it.
    I mean, the most original is Spectre, but we didn't get to have that.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Octopussy wrote: »
    I feel now more then ever that hiring Eilish to sing this song was a marketing move to attract a younger audience to Bond.

Well of course. Any strategy to attract an audience is necessary. Bond films are to all intents and purposes fast food for the masses. They need to succeed for audiences of the day. Cubby knew it. He absorbed any hit film of the day, or any popular artist to help sell his Bond films.

They aren't designed to be works for film historians to pour over in 100 years time and analyse. They are works designed to put bums on seats in whatever year they are released, so that they have enough revenue to make another one.

If Billie Eilish will attract a young audience, then way to go.

Footnote: my son is a huge fan of Billie E, she has been his favourite artist for a year or two now. As a result he will go and see the film even though he isn't much of a Bond fan. So, it does work.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 6,665
    I think that WOTW, with a different voice and take on it, would be close to being fairly good.

I wouldn't change a thing on NTTD. Not even on AWTD, SF or YKMN.

If WOTW was sung by another person with a different voice, I'd say I liked all of the Craig era songs.

Interestingly enough, this mirrors my thoughts about the films. Sort of.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    peter wrote: »
    JamesCraig wrote: »

wow-- hair on neck standing to attention for Mr. Bond.

He deserves it. :))
  • silva13silva13 Australia

Well of course. Any strategy to attract an audience is necessary. Bond films are to all intents and purposes fast food for the masses. They need to succeed for audiences of the day. Cubby knew it. He absorbed any hit film of the day, or any popular artist to help sell his Bond films.

They aren't designed to be works for film historians to pour over in 100 years time and analyse. They are works designed to put bums on seats in whatever year they are released, so that they have enough revenue to make another one.

Footnote: my son is a huge fan of Billie E, she has been his favourite artist for a year or two now. As a result he will go and see the film even though he isn't much of a Bond fan. So, it does work.

I 100% agree.
    I was scrolling down instagram earlier and several people had posted selfies with the caption "no time to die" so it's definitely working. These people aren't the type to be caught dead at a Bond film so at the very least it's free advertising!
    silva13 wrote: »

I 100% agree.
    I was scrolling down instagram earlier and several people had posted selfies with the caption "no time to die" so it's definitely working. These people aren't the type to be caught dead at a Bond film so at the very least it's free advertising!

No doubt, but it makes me wonder who else was considered prior to coming to a decision.
  • silva13silva13 Australia
    I think cary put on instagram earlier that he had always wanted her. I also love most of her music and I'm 24 years old so i don't know if that helps explain !!

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    After a couple of listens, it's alright. Nothing special but nothing offensive either. I feel it has the potential to grow on me.

It's just so depressing though. The lyrics represent everything that I fear from this movie. The soap opera of Bond and Madeleine fighting and breaking up. Someone's personal connection to the past coming back to haunt them yet again. It's honestly why I can't get too excited about NTTD.

I know some people have complained about these aspects of the Craig era for a long time, but I wasn't one of them. I enjoyed the depth DC brought to the character initially, but after 5 films we've crossed into soap opera territory.

Back on topic, the song is okay if unspectacular. Hoping it will grow on me and really hoping I am blown away by the title sequence. Who knows, maybe I'll even like the darn movie too. ;)
    Billie Eilish is arguably the Britney Spears of the 2020s! She's only 18 and she will be the biggest diva of the decade!

Billie rose to popularity as a teenager just like Britney back in the last days of the 1990s and 2000s.
  • talos7 wrote: »
    It's basically a better version of WOTW

It’s interesting that you say this, my daughters reaction to the song was , “ this is what Sam Smith was trying to do. “

Best review of the song so far.....

On a few listens, I have to say I really like this song….it has that haunting and eerie vibe that Billie Eilish just nails. But there are enough Bond-ian flourishes in there to really make it part of that pantheon.

I get goosebumps whenever I hear it. Especially when you pair it to the visuals from the film.

Interestingly, it isn’t quite a ‘bold’ as it could have been…..in many respects it actually sounds like a mash-up of both Adele and Sam Smith’s songs. But I’m a very big fan of what I hear so far……..can’t wait to see the video!!!!

Basically, following the Smith/Adele model has meant that Billie has her Oscar on pre-order….

EQtCXHnW4AEK_iq?format=jpg&name=900x900
    I bought it on iTunes this morning so I now own all the official themes I don’t own the unofficial never say never again because screw that film

Off topic I know but does anyone know where to get the fan edit Eon cut of never say never again I remember seeing clips when I was a kid but no idea where to get it pm me if you have any info
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    silva13 wrote: »

I 100% agree.

No doubt, but it makes me wonder who else was considered prior to coming to a decision.
    Anyone who's popular at the moment. Has been like that for the last 40 odd years.

Anyway, for those who're waiting for a belter, you'll have to wait until more powerful music becomes popular again. Billy is hardly the only soft-singing artist out there right now.

Considering all that I think the song is pretty good. I especially like the lyrics for what I can decipher.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 5,767
    the song could lose the whole first minute and nothing would be lost at all.
    Let´s make that three, hehe ;-).

SaintMark wrote: »
    Once again a decent song but the Craig era leaves you with a feeling of no special song that stands out, I guess after the Connery & Moore era we will never get that again.
    Well, the future is always open. But right now definitely doesn´t seem to be a phase for outstanding songs.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    boldfinger wrote: »
    the song could lose the whole first minute and nothing would be lost at all.
    Let´s make that three, hehe ;-).

Quite the partnership you two have. ;)