NO TIME TO DIE (2020) by Billie Eilish - Theme Song Discussion

Comments

Positive review from the Guardian.
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/feb/14/billie-eilish-no-time-to-die-review-bond-theme

Personally I am slightly nonplussed. It's fine but the lack of a melody or catchy riff leaves me a bit underwhelmed.

At least it's not a disaster. And maybe it will grow on me. For me it's a but like TWOTW. Actually a pretty decent song but perhaps just lacking that little something extra to make it super special.

You can really hear the Zimmer contributions and this is clearly going to be woven into the score. A shame there isn't something a bit more distinctive about it.

On balance I am satisfied and I am more interested in the score itself ultimately.
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified
    For no-english-born : what "Are you death or paradise?" mean?

I would have understand if there was a "in" inside like "Are you death or in paradise?", but without it I don't understand the phrase at all...

I took it as another poetic way of asking, “are you heaven or hell?”
    For no-english-born : what "Are you death or paradise?" mean?

I would have understand if there was a "in" inside like "Are you death or in paradise?", but without it I don't understand the phrase at all...

Exactly. The lyrics are strong IMO.
    She is a talented writer no doubt. It does feel like the song fits Craig Bond's journey.
    I think we can probably assume there is no happy ever after ending.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It's a pretty good song. Feels more like a maturity move for Billie than for the Bond songs. I appreciate the fact that she didn't go 'weird' as she's known to do. Instead, it's an easily digestible Bondian song. Nothing out of the ordinary, but nothing bad either; in fact, 10 listenings in, I'm loving it.
  • Garth007Garth007 Missouri, USA
    After listening to it a few time I gotta say I love it. Easily in my top 5, but that could change over time. This does how ever make me more curious about how the main title sequence plays out with the song which is exciting.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited February 2020 Posts: 2,721
    The notes at the beginning are Bondian, but overall it's a bit of a drag. Not in the league of YNMN or SF but an improvement on WOTW and AWTD. Mainly because of the guitar and those notes. But wish it had some rise or builds.

I think colouring my opinion is the cumulative effect of WOW's disappointment and now NTTD's very similar tone and lyrical preoccupations. It's not the kind of Bond song I'd put on regularly. I've listened to it twice but probably won't listen to again before the film. Curious to see how Zimmer incorporates it into the score and that's the most exciting part for me. Especially after three films of no significant entwinement between title theme and score.

And here's hoping the popularity of Eilish will help get the kids in the cinema.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,343
    I recently broke up after a 6 years relationship. NTTD is the first Bond theme ever that makes me wanna cry. Good job.

Thanks.
    So a Bond song is now supposed to make me fall asleep? Well done.

Like WOTW, there´s a nice song somewhere hidden in there, but the execution is nothing but horrible. Sounds like Sheryl Crow perfoming while sleeping.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    matt_u wrote: »
    I recently broke up after a 6 years relationship. NTTD is the first Bond theme ever that makes me wanna cry. Good job.

I know the feeling.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    boldfinger wrote: »

Like WOTW, there´s a nice song somewhere hidden in there, but the execution is nothing but horrible. Sounds like Sheryl Crow perfoming while sleeping.

No worries @boldfinger Zimmer shall save the day. ;)
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2020 Posts: 10,512
    sabrina wrote: »
    I stand corrected, I saw excerpts from the movie and score where this was incorperated and it is used in the score so attributted to him.
    In my humble opinion far superior to what we have from Billy E and more along the lines of what I and may of us were hoping for.

You and many others were hoping for something akin to a New Order remix? Well, I’m afraid you’ve only got yourself to blame there.
    On first listen - not bad, not great either. At least its better than WOTW, AWTD and DAD.

Too slow, meandering, whispery and depressing at the beginning, but thankfully it builds up to something close to Bondian at the end.

What I would give for another upbeat Bond song again though, like YKMN, TLD, AVTAK or LALD.
    TripAces wrote: »
    At the :20 mark, we get a Pink Floyd "Breathe" sort of vibe, eh?
    Run rabbit run. That’s a nice catch.
    boldfinger wrote: »

No worries @boldfinger Zimmer shall save the day. ;)
    @MakeshiftPython, I´m beyond worrying. And I´m aware that a lot of guys here like Zimmer´s music. Good for them. I understand Zimmer was involved in the production of this song. And the way most of the instruments sound he was, effectively neutering as much life as possible from every string.
    No, I´m not worried. Worry would mean doubt, and I have no doubt I won´t care much for the music of this film, no matter how good the film may be otherwise.

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    TripAces wrote: »
    1.2m views on You Tube in four hours. Damn.

Now just hitting 3 million.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    I like it.

3:23 is the best part of the song for me.
    JamesCraig wrote: »

Ah, now that does sound good. Very promising.

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

I’m sorry to hear man :( hope you’re doing okay.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Seems pretty decent. The verses are a bit long (like Smith’s) but it’s much better than the last one and the sort of recurring piano motif hits a nice mood: I can easily imagine appearing throughout the film. Very decent if not stunning.
  • 00Dalton700Dalton7 Portsmouth
    Structurally for me it suffers the same problem as the Spectre song. It builds twice and then fizzles out. There’s no third verse and it only changes dramatically twice.

Also timing wise the Bond sound at the very end feels like an after thought AND is a few seconds too late for the last lyrics.

Here’s hoping the movie version is meatier and has a bit more punch.

Having said that I do prefer it over the last song but was expecting something mould breaking from her.

The lyrics are the strongest part but agin they have sections that a far to close to Smiths “a million shards of glass, haunt me from my past”.

I’m fearing another selection of faces/flash backs to Craig’s films in the opening title sequence.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    1. You Know My Name
    2. No Time to Die
    3. Skyfall
    4. Another Way To Die

5. Writings On The Wall

Thanks I really appreciate that.

Funny thing is she has the same name and passport of a certain russian Agent from 1977, and now there's the first Bond film ever with him dealing with a break up. Living the James Bond Lifestyle to the fullest. :)
    Its decent, but not brilliant! Like it more than SF, which never really gelled with me, Cornells theme is a still far and away the best of Craig's tenure!
    Kleinman better do something special with the titles, think Billies theme will come across well in the film!
  • 00Dalton700Dalton7 Portsmouth
    1. You Know My Name
    2. No Good about Goodbye ;)
    3. Skyfall
    4. No Time to Die

5. Another Way To Die

6. Writings On The Wall
    On first listen - not bad, not great either. At least its better than WOTW, AWTD and DAD.

Too slow, meandering, whispery and depressing at the beginning, but thankfully it builds up to something close to Bondian at the end.

What I would give for another upbeat Bond song again though, like YKMN, TLD, AVTAK or LALD.

Agreed @jetsetwilly. This song is perfect for a funeral but is a total downer for an opening Bond title. Looks like Eon have gone for the double whammy: two dirgey Bond songs in a row. Another Bond song I won't be adding to my perfect Bond Song Play List. I-)
    This song is not designed to open the film with a bang.

This song is designed to follow and embrace Bond and Swann fallout in Matera.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited February 2020 Posts: 3,497

I must be honest: I almost cried too.

Because I got some really bad news from a friend of mine. I won't get into details, but what she did can only be done because of a broken heart.

:(