NO TIME TO DIE (2020) by Billie Eilish - Theme Song Discussion

Comments

Like it, although not convinced it will be one that people remember in a few years. Reminds me a little of Sheryl Crow's Tomorrow Never Dies. Would have preferred something like You Know My Name given the last two ballads, but thank god its better than Sam Smith's effort.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I cant believe I'm saying this but I don't mind it. :-O
    First impression before anything else was that it’s a billion times better than WOTW. That one gets weaker for me every time too.
  • infoviseinfovise Ireland
    I like the song and the I love the subtle use of guitar throughout the song
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    jake24 wrote: »
    Very good, but lacks punch. It needed drums and a beat. Slight missed opportunity.

I think so too. The chorus absolutely soars though. I like it.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    WOTW got better for me over time, while AWTD just got worse and I never liked it.

This one? I like it immediately.
  • To me it sounds like a knock-off of Radiohead's Spectre theme, which I like more than NTTD, but they're both good.
    Really really loved it. You can tell they took this seriously, opposed to Smith. Can't wait to see it with the intro. Well done
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Decent song better than the last one, though I was waiting for the track to step it up another level.

This was exactly my thoughts - feels like it needed to go somewhere and somewhere big, but it never seemed to get there.

I am listening with headphones when at home I will put the track on full volume through my sound system see if that helps, though I was waiting for the huge orchestra to kick in.

On second listen I do like the song, Bond songs always work better once we see it with the title sequence (not including the last one)
  • silva13silva13 Australia
    I cannot stop listening to it. Absolutely love it and the subtle use of the Bond theme throughout is so cool! Works even better with the preview of visuals too!
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited February 2020 Posts: 7,518
    Lyrics:
    I should've known,
    I'd leave alone,
    Just goes to show,
    That the blood you bleed is just the blood you own.

We were a pair,
    But I saw you there,
    Too much to bear,
    You were my life but life is far away from fair.

Was I stupid to love you? Was I reckless to help?
    What is obvious to everybody else?

But I've fallen for a lie,
    You and I were on my side,
    Fool me once, fool me twice,
    How you dare the paradise,
    Now you'll never see me cry,
    There's just no time to die.

I let it burn,
    You're no longer my concern,
    Faces from my past return,
    Another lesson to learn,

How you dare the paradise,

No time to die.

No time to die.

Higher than the paradise,

Thanks @AgentJamesBond007

This is just from listening to it, and the "Higher than the paradise" line is definitely wrong (probably a "Him" or a "You" in there somewhere...) but I can't hack it.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Okay... I like it. Not the greatest Bond song ever, but it's very good. And it surely will grow on me. I was a little sceptic after I checked out Billie's past work.
    Deleted
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    It definitely provides a great motif for Zimmer to use throughout the score. But the song itself falls frustratingly short of greatness. It's definitely top 10 though.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    First impression - I love it. I do wish the second verse built just a little bit more, but that's a minor gripe. It feels so Bondian and the melodies are wonderful.
    This is the best song of Craigs tenure.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Lyrics:
    I should've known,
    I'd leave alone,
    Just goes to show,

We were a pair,
    But I saw you there,
    Too much to bear,

I let it burn,
    Another lesson to learn,

No time to die.

No time to die.

This is just from listening to it, and the "Higher than the paradise" line is definitely wrong (probably a "Him" or a "You" in there somewhere...) but I can't hack it.

The line is “how you dare the paradise”.
    Lyrics:
    I should've known,
    I'd leave alone,
    Just goes to show,

We were a pair,
    But I saw you there,
    Too much to bear,

I let it burn,
    Another lesson to learn,

No time to die.

No time to die.

The line is “how you dare the paradise”.

Thank you!
  • Second listen I think I got it. For the second time in a row I feel like the song reflects Bond and Madeline's relationship. I'm listening to Skyfall right now just to see how it compares.
    Glad to see dominantly positive vibes this time around!! It’s certainly a decent tune; I’m very happy with it!
    Hoping it'll hit Spotify soon...
    EDIT: It's on there.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    I honestly like it. Don't love it though. It's sort of what we'd all expected as her song when she was chosen. Thankfully the instrumentals sound fantastic which really sells it as a James Bond theme song, even if it's a bit uninventive in that sense. Great voice of course.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    edited February 2020 Posts: 3,675
    I adore it! Was so nervous about the choice given Billie's past work, but it just screams Bond! The Thunderball reference at 1:00 gave me chills and then the guitar chord at the end was amazing. And at 3:20, she did exactly what I'd hoped and kicked it up a notch. I couldn't be any more excited for this film.
  • 2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    Second listen I think I got it. For the second time in a row I feel like the song reflects Bond and Madeline's relationship. I'm listening to Skyfall right now just to see how it compares.

I love it, but Skyfall is head and shoulders above it. And I much prefer Billie Eilish's own stuff to Adele's own stuff!
    Not the best theme ever but better then I was expecting
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified
    I had to give it a second listen and, yep, I love this song. The melody, the vocals, and when that trumpet quotes those four notes of the Bond theme... I was like “Yes, ok, *this* is a Bond theme.” It’s Bond, but not overdone; we had that with Adele’s Skyfall. Here, the instrumentals are restrained and still pack a lot of punch. LOVE the buildup to a climax, and then it just simmers the last 20 seconds, ending with the guitar twang.

If I wasn’t a fan of Billie Eilish yesterday, I am now.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    edited February 2020 Posts: 1,182
    It's OK. Not great, but OK. Although the more I listen to it it's slightly growing on me. I think it'll benefit by Kleinman's visuals in the film.

It's interesting that the orchestral arrangement was by Zimmer and Matt Dunkley. Perhaps giving us a tiny taste of what the film's score will sound like.

Also, the guitar was played by Johnny Marr.
    gt007 wrote: »
    It's OK. Not great, but OK. Although the more I listen to it it's slightly growing on me. I think it'll benefit by Kleinman's visuals in the film.

It's interesting that the orchestral arrangement was by Zimmer and Matt Dunkley. Perhaps giving us a tiny taste of what the film's score will sound like.

Also, the guitar was played by Johnny Marr.

How did you know
  • 00Ralf00Ralf Germany
    She nailed it. I wasn't sure about the...modest beginning of the theme, but as soon as the chorus kicked in, I was onboard. Now I fully love it, because of the build-up to the verse with the title.
  • robcoperobcope St. Petersburg, FL
    edited February 2020 Posts: 58
    I try to not speak in hyperbole, but damn, this is terrible. Just dreadful.Three straight unBondian songs. I suppose this is our punishment for AWTD, but the series is clearly descending away from any tempo whatsoever that we're now just at emotional, sad piano music. I don't like it one bit. Bond songs have brass, some tempo, mostly fun. This is the third time in 5 outings that Daniel Craig's James Bond will be crying over a woman. Enough already.