NO TIME TO DIE (2020) by Billie Eilish - Theme Song Discussion

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited February 2020 Posts: 7,999
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Not saying I don't like Ballads or Billie Eilish doing it....but sadly, this might be the end of the road for Rock Bond themes. Especially, if Eilish grabs an Oscar for it. I too wanted a Rock Bond theme....but it doesn't mean I hate Diamonds are forever.

We've had successful rock themes before. We'll have another one eventually.

Exactly. We can't just forget Live and Let Die happened.

"Live and Let Die" happened, but it happened in a very different time by one of THE most popular musicians this Earth ever produced. The only rocking tune that was popular after that was "A View to a Kill". Everything else including the Bond cult favorite "You Know My Name" didn't make much of a big splash.

I think the only way we'll ever get another rock tune is if it's by an extremely popular musician that's as phenomenal as Adele and Billie Eilish, and that they have enough clout to persuade EON to accept a rocking tune. But we don't have an artist like that today, at least one that's as young as the latter Craig film artists.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Not saying I don't like Ballads or Billie Eilish doing it....but sadly, this might be the end of the road for Rock Bond themes. Especially, if Eilish grabs an Oscar for it. I too wanted a Rock Bond theme....but it doesn't mean I hate Diamonds are forever.

We've had successful rock themes before. We'll have another one eventually.

Exactly. We can't just forget Live and Let Die happened.

"Live and Let Die" happened, but it happened in a very different time by one of THE most popular musicians this Earth ever produced. The only rocking tune that was popular after that was "A View to a Kill". Everything else including the Bond cult favorite "You Know My Name" didn't make much of a big splash.

I think the only way we'll ever get another rock tune is if it's by an extremely popular musician that's as phenomenal as Adele and Billie Eilish, and that they have enough clout to persuade EON to accept a rocking tune. But we don't have an artist like that today, at least one that's as young as the latter Craig film artists.

These are valid points but they don't owe anything to the futility of hoping for another rock oriented tune. It's far from unlikely, especially in comparison with, say, a rap tune - which the series has never had.

Nonetheless, I like that they've gone with Eilish and I think she's probably going to do a great job. It's a risky move and a genius one in equal measure on Eon's part, considering her age and relative inexperience. But she's the kind of artist that the series needs once in a while, I think. Good to see. I'm liking the clip so far, I've already caught myself humming it on my way home from work.
    You Know My Name spent a month in the UK's top 10 charts and peaked at No7 so not too shabby.

I agree though, EON need to keep with the biggest artists of the day to make a splash in these days of streaming.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Just dropping this excellent video explanation here about why a Bond theme sounds like a Bond theme.
    If she does this, I think we’re safe what the sound is concerned.

I posted that a while ago, brilliant video.
    The song is releasing a bit sooner, is it because of Valentine's day ?
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 2,436
    I've a feeling the song maybe written from Madeleine's perspective to mirror The Writing's on the Wall.
    The piano snippet that is online sounds fairly promising. Slow sounding melody but very Bondian.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    I like those little piano notes...
  • I like the snippet so far, reminds me of Skyfall's intro but more moody and atmospheric. I was hoping we'd get something a little punchier like You Should See Me In A Crown, but I'll reserve judgment until tomorrow.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I am liking what Ive heard so far.

Can very easily imagine it being a main motif throughout the film.
    Mazzaro posted on his Instagram - "awesome experience to work with Billie and Finneas on this"

https://instagram.com/stories/steve_mazzaro/2242646398694965056?igshid=kdo55ijlj61b
  • antovolk wrote: »
    Mazzaro posted on his Instagram - "awesome experience to work with Billie and Finneas on this"

https://instagram.com/stories/steve_mazzaro/2242646398694965056?igshid=kdo55ijlj61b

Looking very, very likely that the theme will be incorporated into the score and if Zimmer AND Mazzaro were involved in the theme, I'd guess it has some pretty robust orchestration as well.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Is everyone happy to keep the NTTD threads attached to the top of the page? Currently this is pinned as an Announcement which effectively stickies it.

As we open the other NTTD threads they can similarly be left as stickies.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 1,661
    Surprised the song is out tomorrow. Seems a bit too early, perhaps. Wouldn't it make more sense to release it two weeks or so before April 2nd? That way it builds the hype straight into the film's release. Also, streaming views could drop by the time of the film's release! If the song is released two weeks before the film, streams will be very high. All the old Bond singles (remember them, actual singles not digital streams!) were released a few short weeks before the release of the film. View To A Kill and The Living Daylights singles were high up the top ten when the films were out.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 1,081
    I like the snippet that was released, but I'm hoping it elevates and soars like a classic Bond theme. Good to hear it'll likely be incorporated into Zimmer's score.
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Surprised the song is out tomorrow. Seems a bit too early, perhaps. Wouldn't it make more sense to release it two weeks or so before April 2nd? That way it builds the hype straight into the film's release. Also, streaming views could drop by the time of the film's release! If the song is released two weeks before the film, streams will be very high. All the old Bond singles (remember them, actual singles not digital streams!) were released a few short weeks before the release of the film. View To A Kill and The Living Daylights singles were high up the top ten when the films were out.

I think this is why tickets appear to be on sale this week, they can directly tie in any radio play or online promo of the song with 'get tickets now'. Less so about the song's ratings but converting them to box office.
    Well I guess we will hear it soon I still don’t see it on iTunes but hopefully it will be released there
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Well I guess we will hear it soon I still don’t see it on iTunes but hopefully it will be released there

https://music.apple.com/es/album/no-time-to-die-single/1498299525

https://play.google.com/store/music/album?id=Bu5cr6fsbk7mfpmtwx7seasyvwu&tid=song-Trfomwhnvtp4glhzuhgs7f4uowy&hl=en_US

Not sure about those, of course... but @-)
    edited February 2020 Posts: 3,497
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Hate to be a downer but didn’t care for the snippet. I’m partially bias though because i was hoping for something akin to You know my name.

There's a shocker.
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    Hate to be a downer but didn’t care for the snippet. I’m partially bias though because i was hoping for something akin to You know my name.

There's a shocker.

what if against all odd Billie does a great rock bond theme lmao

There's a shocker.

With death metal grunts right after the opening... :D
  • RyanRyan Canada

There's a shocker.

We find out this snippet is from somewhere in the middle. It's actually a seven minute progressive metal song.
    looking forward to listening to what she and her brother have come up with? If I forget? It will be Saturday lunchtime by the time I can listen to it properly.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    The timing should work out that I can listen to it on Spotify as I drive home from work.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    NicNac wrote: »
    Is everyone happy to keep the NTTD threads attached to the top of the page? Currently this is pinned as an Announcement which effectively stickies it.

As we open the other NTTD threads they can similarly be left as stickies.

I don t see why that should be necessary.
    Ryan wrote: »

There's a shocker.

We find out this snippet is from somewhere in the middle. It's actually a seven minute progressive metal song.

with Geddy lee and Alex lifeson guesting
  • BMWTREKPSEBMWTREKPSE Colorado
    edited February 2020 Posts: 105
    Does anyone know where it will debut? Youtube?
    BMWTREKPSE wrote: »
    Does anyone know where it will debut @ 4 PM (EST?)? Youtube?

Bound to be on her instagram and on 007 website and YouTube
    Fukanaga just posted to his Instagram with a snippet. It’s a piano intro that sounds like a really beautiful soulful, haunting take on the 3 bond theme notes.
  • Billie Eilish and Hans Zimmer will perform NTTD at the Brit Awards next week...
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8000341/Billie-Eilish-CONFIRMED-perform-James-Bond-theme-tune-BRITs.html

ba98dd11aa78a08766e0379fcd1c0e56.jpg