Action Movies Thread

edited July 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 5,745
This thread, upon the decision of the mods may be closed at any time if felt appropriate.

BUT, I feel a thread solely devoted to other films and franchises outside of Bond in the action department is appropriate.
It will clear up threads like "The Last Movie You Watched" by allowing users to discuss action films in detail, spoiler galore*, and not impact other users of this site.

Example: Me and another user took up nearly a page of discussion on Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol and moved our discussion to private messages to avoid giving away spoilers.
This thread solves that need, and opens the discussion to a wider audience.

Comments

So to start the thread, while most of us are distracted by the ears on Daniel Craig in the new Teaser, Taken 2 has promoted their first image stills from the new film.
    The images:
    taken2photo2.jpg
    taken2photo3.jpg
    taken2photo1.jpg

Liam Neeson still an ass kicking mother fudger climbing towards 60. I'm excited.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Rambo 5 has been announced, it'll definetly be the last one this time apparently and he'll be fighting Mexican drug lords.

Taken 2 looks awesome. But I thought the 1st one would work better as a stand alone. Ah well.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @JWESTBROOK, I posted those in the 'Coming Soon To Cinemas' earlier on. Thanks for embedding them here, I only had the link.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 5,745
    Rambo 5 has been announced, it'll definetly be the last one this time apparently and he'll be fighting Mexican drug lords.

Taken 2 looks awesome. But I thought the 1st one would work better as a stand alone. Ah well.

I've never been a fan of the Rambo films. The latest one was just fun for the blood&guts department. Was cool.. but I just drone through them.

Taken was an excellent one-off. But I'm curious as to what the sequel will be about. Apparently the father of one of the men Neeson killed in the first film kidnaps Neeson's daughter and ex-wife in this one. It's a bit repetitive, but I'm still looking forward to it.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,350
    We've got a Taken 2 only discussion, already going here:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/72/taken-2-2012/p1
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Apparently the father of one of the men Neeson killed in the first film kidnaps Neeson's daughter and ex-wife in this one. It's a bit repetitive, but I'm still looking forward to it.

That's right, except it's Neeson and his ex-wife that are captured with his daughter being the one that has to rescue them.
    Samuel001 wrote:

JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Apparently the father of one of the men Neeson killed in the first film kidnaps Neeson's daughter and ex-wife in this one. It's a bit repetitive, but I'm still looking forward to it.

That's right, except it's Neeson and his ex-wife that are captured with his daughter being the one that has to rescue them.

It doesn't look like it, and empire is reporting otherwise. http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=33994

Also, this thread is bigger than Taken 2. I'll change the title promptly.
    James Badge Dale has signed on to play IM3's villain.

He will play Eric Savin. In the comics he is an ex-military cyborg that came to be that way after a run-in with a land mine. Its un-clear whether or not he will be the cyborg in the film or not.

It is speculated in the below article
    that he is injected with nano-bots and causes trouble for Tony Stark.

eric-savin-coldblood.jpg
    http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=33986
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

I've never been a fan of the Rambo films. The latest one was just fun for the blood&guts department. Was cool.. but I just drone through them.

Taken was an excellent one-off. But I'm curious as to what the sequel will be about. Apparently the father of one of the men Neeson killed in the first film kidnaps Neeson's daughter and ex-wife in this one. It's a bit repetitive, but I'm still looking forward to it.

I'm looking forward to it too. Although I've always preferred Rocky, I love the Rambo films. Action at it's finest. They're not in the same league as say, the Die Hard films but I love em.
    edited May 2012 Posts: 40,368
    Edit: He is the one that gets kidnapped, Empire has it down wrong. Here's a quote from Neeson himself:

“The action is supposed to take place about a year or a year and a half after the first story. It’s a very clever sequel with the usual thrills and spills, but the ante is upped quite a bit in this one.” … “I’ve taken a job over in Istanbul looking after a sheik who is there, and afterward I discover that my wife’s going through a very bad time with her new husband. So I suggest she and my daughter come over for a few days and hang out with me in this amazing city. And then… [laughs] all this s—t happens, of course.” … “I’m taken — let’s put it that way. They kidnap him to humiliate him, torture him, and ultimately bring him back to the village in Albania where the boys from the original film came from. With the help of my daughter… she wants to help me escape from where these bad guys have me.”
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

JWESTBROOK wrote:

It doesn't look like it, and empire is reporting otherwise. http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=33994

I think Empire have made a mistake. Reports of the plot, when they were released stated otherwise. That's the "twist" to this film.
    Ah, I stand corrected. Thank you.

Very interesting indeed.
    I can't wait to see how they plan to humiliate and torture Mills. I hope he will just spit in their faces with laughter and sarcasm.

It's going to be interesting to see Kim help him escape; after that, I wonder if it's a one man show with Mills, and Kim gets re-taken and is held hostage with his ex-wife, or if she just tags along with him.

I just think I've been dogging the idea of her doing anything physical, but then again, after all that happened, I wouldn't be surprised if Bryan taught her some lessons to help her defend herself, and isn't the same scared little girl that was in the first one.

With these stills, I can only expect a trailer in the coming days/weeks. It's nearly June, and by that point, the film will be out in four months.
  • JWESTBROOK wrote:

I get what you mean. Honestly, I agree to a degree (sounds weird to say out loud...), but this is one of those situations where I feel that the real substance and value of the series and character lies in the first film, before any sequels came along. I don't really have a problem with the sequels having been made (partly since they actually did take different looks at Rambo's character), but I definitely appreciate First Blood the most: an intense action movie that (I think) is underappreciated for its character development/background. Right...my quasi-rant.
    ^Haha I have to admit I haven't seen all the Rambo films all the way through, but I struggle through them when I try.

More News: Sean Bean to play a British commando in a film called 'The Fourth Reich'. The film will follow a group of commandos through Germany who discover a Nazi secret plan of super-soldiers carrying on the evil ways of the Nazis into a fourth Reich.

Sounds like fun.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Taken 2 still has Liam snapping spines and cracking necks in high numbers, so count me in. Reluctantly regarding the plot...
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Love Sean Bean, always happy to have him in a film. He can kick Nazis and I'm happy he is a good guy in this one. By the way has anyone seen CleanSkin? Was that the name?

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I can't wait to see Sean Bean in 'Cleanskin' :)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,882
    I've also been wanting to see Cleanskin. I'm not sure about R1, but it hits R2 DVD (and Blu) on July 2nd.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    If everyone here had to name their top favorite actioneers, what would they be?
    Ah, my top fav action actors are:
    Daniel Craig
    Liam Neeson
    Jason Statham
    Jean Reno
    Robert Downey Jr. (Sherlock mainly, does that count? I like him as Ironman, too)
    Sean Bean
    Jackie Chan
    Bruce Willis
    Viggo Mortensen

Ongoing action film series:
    Bond (natch)
    Transporter (Statham)
    Sherlock Holmes (Downey Jr.)
    Taken (now we know there is the sequel)
    Rush Hour (still going to be another? unsure)
    Die Hard

I am not one to classify films as I think there are layers to films and those layers mean that a film can still be a good drama or thriller and still have great action. For me a few of my top favorite films that have great action are:

True Lies
    The Mission Impossible series
    The Bourne TRILOGY
    The Die Hard franchise
    Sherlock Holmes (though it goes slightly against the character)
    The Transporter series
    Taken
    I Am Legend (or anything with Will Smith)

If everyone here had to name their top favorite actioneers, what would they be?

Off the top of my head, some of my favourite action actors are: Bruce Willis, Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Chow Yung Fat, Jason Statham, Sylvester Stallone, Arny, Liam Neeson and Jean Claude Van Damm. And if I had to choose, these are probably my favourite action films.

The Die Hard films

Bloodsport

Commando.

The Bourne films.

The Transporter films.

The Crank films.

Fists Of Fury/The Big Boss

Face Off

Enter The Dragon

Police Story (2004 reboot)

Who Am I

True Lies

Hard Boiled

The Expendables

The Rambo films

Taken

Predator
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Taken
    Crank
    Expendables
    Bourne
    Die Hard
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,882
    90's Van Damme:
    Universal Soldier
    Nowhere To Run
    Hard Target
    Timecop
    Sudden Death
    Maximum Risk

Post 90's Van Damme:
    Second In Command
    Assassination Games

Also:
    The Last Hunter
    Beverly Hills Cop
    Ironclad
    Taken
    Enter The Dragon
    The Killer
    Predator
    Was going to create a new thread, but remembered I started this one:

Machete 2/ Machete Kills director Robert Rodriguez said Mel Gibson is a 'bond-like villain' in the film with a Bond like story, and an element of space - whether it's a weapon or what - in the film.

Full article also includes Sin City 2 discussion, which is to be more flamboyant than the first with a really strong lead female villain: http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=34018
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Machete 2/ Machete Kills director Robert Rodriguez said Mel Gibson is a 'bond-like villain' in the film with a Bond like story, and an element of space - whether it's a weapon or what - in the film.

Full article also includes Sin City 2 discussion, which is to be more flamboyant than the first with a really strong lead female villain: http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=34018

So, bravely showing my ignorance here, was there a film called Machete? (Since this states Machete 2) I know this director so I am maybe interested. Anyone see it? Was it any good?
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

So, bravely showing my ignorance here, was there a film called Machete? (Since this states Machete 2) I know this director so I am maybe interested. Anyone see it? Was it any good?

Yeah the original Machete came out a year or 2 ago. It actually came from a fake trailer in Grindhouse, which the director made with Quentin Tarantino. Anyway, I really enjoyed Machete, if you're into action films you'll probably enjoy it. Can't wait for Machete 2.

Thanks! That reminds me: I love Kurt Russell. I want him in more action flicks, too! What has he done lately?
    Thanks! That reminds me: I love Kurt Russell. I want him in more action flicks, too! What has he done lately?

He *was* going to be in Django Unchained, but recently dropped out with no explanation. :(

And yes, Machete is a first in what director Robert Rodriguez is trying to make a threqual. Machete, Machete Kills, and Machete Kills Again.

Creative :P
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Ryan Reynolds is favourite for Highlander reboot
    http://collider.com/ryan-reynolds-highlander-reboot/167269/

The Highlander films and specially the Highlander TV series were favourites of mine when I was an early teenager. I'm not sure about Reynolds as Connor McLeod of the Clan McLeod though. What do you think?