Bond film ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

• DwayneDwayne New York City
    Decisions…decisions!

FRWL. GF is my current #3, so I obviously love that movie as well. It’s just that – on most days – I like the understatement of FRWL better.
    SF. Without a doubt.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,378
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I figured that GF would lose to FRWL, OHMSS and CR. I was surprised to see that the appreciation for DN had grown to the point that it also took my favorite down. GF’s still my number one, and I sadden to see its light fade, but at least the four that will beat it are the next four in my rankings.

All these four are top movies for me and GF follows soon afterwords. Bond is captured for 50% of GF, this is the main reason why this movie isn't part of the very best for me.
    And @IGotABrudder: your plus points for AVTAK are very convincing. Especially Jenny Flex...I'm always sad that she doesn't have more screentime.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    FRWL
    SF
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Birdleson wrote: »
    That's true, but I guess I find a lot of what happens while he's captured interesting. Sure, that bit in Kentucky is kind of boring to me now, after 100 plus viewings, but so are the helicopter and boat chases in FRWL, and so is the a lot of early time spent at Piz Gloria in OHMSS, so is a big chunk of the last third of CR; it's inevitable when you've watched the films as often as we have. But it took many years for any part of GF to lose it's freshness for me. (to be honest, it doesn't really happen with DN and QOS; they move quick enough to avoid any sluggishness, there is a lesson for EON there, I believe).

I understand where you are coming from. But in the case of OHMSS for instance, the Piz Gloria scenes never bore me because of the atmosphere. Mountain top base, covered in snow, fires inside, lovely view, Christmas time. That I miss in GF's Kentucky scenes. When you're not having much going on, sometimes the atmosphere alone makes it worthwhile. On that account mountains, lakes, just being behind the Iron Curtain in some cases or even an ice palace keep me more interested than a horse farm in Kentucky. But I realise that's purely subjective of course.
    Were those Kentucky scenes shot at Pinewood?
    FRWL though close!
    And
    AVTAK, for the sake of variety (though my most recent viewing of SF was more positive!)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    FRWL

SF

Pretty easy for me that one.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 8,655
    FRWL (barely...No. 1 vs. No. 3)
    SF (clearly...No. 2 vs. No....somewhere down there, probably around 22)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    GF over FRWL, but only just. Both top three.

SF over AVTAK.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 385
    FRWL

SF. Not exactly enthused about this one, but View isn't a gem for me either.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    GF over FRWL

SF over AVTAK
  • FRWL & SF
  • FRWL - better story, locations, pacing, and leading lady
    Skyfall - everything is better than AVTAK other than the score and song
  • BondHQBondHQ Heysham, Lancashire
    FRWL & SF
    FRWL & AFTAK
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    FRWL beats GF 28-7

SF beats AVTAK 28-7 as well.

Round 130:

OHMSS vs MR

and

TB vs LTK
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    OHMSS (didn't even have to think about that one, chalk and cheese)

TB (again top 10 favourite against a flawed and jarring film not really to much to think about there)
  • infoviseinfovise Ireland
    OHMSS over MR

TB over LTK
    OHMSS
    And
    LTK easy
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    OHMSS & TB
  • BondHQBondHQ Heysham, Lancashire
    OHMSS & LTK
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    OHMSS and LTK
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Twice very easy:
    OHMSS
    LTK
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    FRWL beats GF 28-7

SF beats AVTAK 28-7 as well.

Round 130:

OHMSS vs MR

and

TB vs LTK

Personally I think From Russia With Love will always outrank Goldfinger as the latter was the film that introduced gimmicks to the franchise. While it definitely began the archetypal formula for the Bond franchise, it also introduced elements that would later be taken to the extreme, IMO. That's my two cents at least. However, I do love Goldfinger and it's iconography is undeniable.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service over Moonraker because it's my favourite film with my favourite Bond. MR was formerly my favourite film of the Moore era and remains his best performance in the role, IMO.

Thunderball over Licence To Kill because it's my second favourite film with Connery's definitive performance in the role. He exudes animal magnetism and is cool as all hell in his fourth film. The relationship between Bond and Largo. Domino. Fiona. Palmyra. Terence Young. Tom Jones. John Barry. It all comes together here in a far more satisfying package then what preceded. Licence To Kill is an upper echelon film for me. I've always loved it, but unfortunately it can't compete with Thunderball's excellence.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    OHMSS over MR

TB over LTK
  • peterpeter Toronto
    OHMSS
    TB
    OHMSS
    TB
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    There’s always one (and in this case I suspect I’m going to be very lonely) so for me it’s MR

large.jpg

And whilst it’s not one I choose to watch often, I’ll go for TB
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    OHMSS
    For the second one I want to go for a draw, but in the end I've got to go for TB.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    OHMSS
    TB
    (reluctantly, but still)