EON's 'The Rhythm Section' (2020)

Comments

• edited January 2020 Posts: 2,436
    How come the Eon logo used in the marketing material for this never appears on Bond?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    How come the Eon logo used in the marketing material for this never appears on Bond?

And not just this film. The logo is also featured on their other non-Bond projects like The Silent Storm (which came out a year before Spectre), Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool, and Nancy.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    This has the stench of death about it. Coming to some bargain basement streaming service near you by the end of February.

And to think we missed out on a Bond 25 in 2017 because of it.

Bond 25 was never gonna come out in 2017. It was only until August 2017 that Daniel Craig confirmed that he would return for the film anyways.
    This has the stench of death about it. Coming to some bargain basement streaming service near you by the end of February.

And to think we missed out on a Bond 25 in 2017 because of it.

Bond 25 was never gonna come out in 2017. It was only until August 2017 that Daniel Craig confirmed that he would return for the film anyways.

That and it’s pretty clear now that the hiatus partly happened because Craig wanted to take a break from Bond after SP came out. Had EON decided to look for a new actor rather than wait for Craig we probably would have already had a new Bond film in 2018.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yeah I forgotten about that: so weird to see they have a logo! :D

And not just this film. The logo is also featured on their other non-Bond projects like The Silent Storm (which came out a year before Spectre), Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool, and Nancy.

Gosh I've never heard of any of those.
    Haven't followed the production of this film, but the trailer was interesting enough for me to call this one of few films in recent years that has my interest. Doesn't look like a film that will get exposure enough to be shown at my local cinema, but I'll make sure to watch it as soon as it's available for purchase.

How is the book, @4EverBonded? Recommended reading?
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Can't say I'm a Blake Lively fan, but after watching the trailer, I'm really looking forward to seeing this!
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 6,665
    Not in the slightest interested in this. Good for EON and Lively, of course, good for them. But personally, not my scene. Been there done that with the Bourne franchise. But hey, this is what I've been advocating all along, new parts for women. There are tons of literature that can easily be adapted for the screen, as this is an example of. So, I'm glad they're doing this. But I'm not seeing this, not on the big screen, and probably not in one of the small ones either.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2020 Posts: 12,459
    Yes, this looks like a good film. I will definitely see it. As I mentioned before, I am unfamiliar with Blake's work, but the vibes about her performance (not on this forum; but elsewhere on the internet) are strong. Looks good to me so far.

I just finished the book, @Torgeirtrap . It was written quite some time ago, and there are three (I think) sequels. This first book establishes the main character, why she is the way she is ... and what she slowly becomes. It is well written. It is mostly, for me, like one long set up to get us into that world of hers; one she was in a way forced into, yet chose willingly due to her all consuming need for revenge. The character is not immediately very likable, but I find her compelling. I'm ordering the 2nd book in the series now, and I hope it continues in the same vein but also gives us more, allows other facets of her personality to develop. I think it will because the author showed us how, almost in fits and starts and backtracks and then progress, she was developing psychologically, ethically, etc. In the book, she is only 23 years old yet already had a few years of torturing herself, putting herself at risk (survivor's guilt) and then finally moving on but very scarred inside.

The film will be different, of course. The author is thrilled with Blake's performance, by the way (quite effusive). I recommend reading the book(s) while keeping in mind that film is a different medium. Also, I think they will need to change the terrorist story a bit to fit our times now a bit better, but that's fine with me.
    Yes, this looks like a good film. I will definitely see it. As I mentioned before, I am unfamiliar with Blake's work, but the vibes about her performance (not on this forum; but elsewhere on the internet) are strong. Looks good to me so far.

I just finished the book, @Torgeirtrap . It was written quite some time ago, and there are three (I think) sequels. This first book establishes the main character, why she is the way she is ... and what she slowly becomes. It is well written. It is mostly, for me, like one long set up to get us into that world of hers; one she was in a way forced into, yet chose willingly due to her all consuming need for revenge. The character is not immediately very likable, but I find her compelling. I'm ordering the 2nd book in the series now, and I hope it continues in the same vein but also gives us more, allows other facets of her personality to develop. I think it will because the author showed us how, almost in fits and starts and backtracks and then progress, she was developing psychologically, ethically, etc. In the book, she is only 23 years old yet already had a few years of torturing herself, putting herself at risk (survivor's guilt) and then finally moving on but very scarred inside.

The film will be different, of course. The author is thrilled with Blake's performance, by the way (quite effusive). I recommend reading the book(s) while keeping in mind that film is a different medium. Also, I think they will need to change the terrorist story a bit to fit our times now a bit better, but that's fine with me.

Interesting summary this, @4EverBonded, thank you! I think I might need to check out the book before I watch the film; it looks like an interesting read. :-)

• Genuinely really excited for this film....I hope its good. It's crew is pretty terrific and this article has me hyped. Especially the potential for a franchise. though i can't help but feel it was probably more suited to Netflix. but i'm genuinely thrilled to see that Chris Corbould was the second unit director on this!!! So it should be good, surely?!?!

I hope this is a franchise for Blake, well....because...

22cf86c4ced95b7b902ebd0e7be38c967aeee2e1.jpg

Blake Lively will be a guest on 'Live with Kelly and Ryan' on Friday, 31 Jan.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I am seeing a "free" sneak peek of the film on Tuesday.
    Since we're on the topic of Blake Lively, I strongly recommend A Simple Favor, starring Blake, Anna Kendrick, and Henry Goulding. Great fun.

• edited January 2020 Posts: 6,665
    I've seen it, @TripAces. It's very... eye-catching.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2020 Posts: 15,686
    Univex wrote: »
    I've seen it, @TripAces. It's very... eye-catching.

I've seen it too. Really enjoyed it, very entertaining film. And great performances from Lively and Kendrick.
    Great performances from the ladies, but a pretty terrible film.
    I keep reading how great Blake's performance is. I want this to be a great film. Coming out in November is a long wait, but good timing for awards, etc.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I keep reading how great Blake's performance is. I want this to be a great film. Coming out in November is a long wait, but good timing for awards, etc.

Isn’t the film coming out next week? The latest trailer had a January 31st, 2020 date written on the screen.

Isn’t the film coming out next week? The latest trailer had a January 31st, 2020 date written on the screen.

Yes. 1/31.
    I read it was pushed to November. I'd love for it to be out this month ...

The latest trailer (from 5 days ago) says the release date is 31st January 2020.

Capture-d-e-cran-2020-01-26-a-08-46-42.png

Looking at Box Office websites, the theater count for next week's releases, which includes those for The Rhythm Section are available. So yes, this film is coming out in 5 days from now.

The previous release date was November 2019, before it was pushed to January 2020. No news whatsoever of another delay, and even this week's trailer is confirming next Friday's release date.

Edit: Just checked the film's official Twitter & Instagram accounts: both say the film is arriving in theaters this Friday (the 31st).
    Ok that is good news for me then. I'll try to catch it when it's here, whenever that is (Japan)
    It was originally supposed to be a February 2019 release. Then in 25 January 2019 it was announced that it was pushed back to November 2019. Then pushed back to January 2020.

The confusion of this being pushed back to November may stem from the fact that that original report happened on January 25th of last year.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/blake-lively-rhythm-section-releae-date-change-1203110803/
    Box Office Pro is predicting a total US gross of $30 million (around $10 million opening weekend), which is about the same box office total of 2018's female revenge flick Peppermint (with Jennifer Garner, directed by Pierre Morel). Peppermint grossed just under $54 million world wide.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Well the posters are up in the Tube so they’d have to stay there for a while! :)
    It's out on 20 Feb in Australia.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 17,241
    Just had a quick look; can't find anything about The Rhythm Section showing at all here in Norway. I see on IMDb that the release dates are "January 2020" for Sweden (no date), and 6 February 2020 for Denmark.

Strange.
  • KronsteenKronsteen Stockholm
    Just had a quick look; can't find anything about The Rhythm Section showing at all here in Norway. I see on IMDb that the release dates are "January 2020" for Sweden (no date), and 6 February 2020 for Denmark.

Sadly, that's incorrect. There's still no release date for Sweden... :(