NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    00Agent wrote: »
    So Hans is the Composer, ya?
    I wans't too fond of him at first, but if he gives it his all and approaches it with the right mindset, this could be great. Can't wait for his rendition of the Bond Theme. Getting goosebumps already.

Here's a little tribute that Hans wrote for Barry after his death.
    http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2046069,00.html

A lovely tribute there from Zimmer, from what he said there I think we are in more than safe hands.

This won't be just another job for the man, this will be something special, he might well have enlisted help but I don't imagine he'll handing this over like on other projects.

He has been waiting for this job all his scoring life and I think he knows the stakes here, he has the one of the most if not most iconic themes to interpret and he also has responsibility on adding to the legacy of the longest running and enduring film series of all time.

No pressure at all there, not.

@peter also said that his very reliable sources said that Elish's song was only recorded a matter of weeks ago at Air Studios, make of that what you will.
  • I adore Zimmer’s style….he nails action movie scores like no other. In fact, watch this sequence:

The score is pitch perfect and instantly iconic.

In fact the filmmaking from Nolan is exceptional. He has expertly blended the use of practical effects (the Batmobile is a beast in action), the miniature effects and real stunts (there is some hidden CGI there too). The score is the secret sauce.

This is A+ filmmaking! In fact, the whole filmmaking style is reminiscent of Martin Campbell in GE. The Batmobile chase is very similar to the tank chase.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I adore Zimmer’s style….he nails action movie scores like no other. In fact, watch this sequence:

The score is pitch perfect and instantly iconic.

In fact the filmmaking from Nolan is exceptional. He has expertly blended the use of practical effects (the Batmobile is a beast in action), the miniature effects and real stunts (there is some hidden CGI there too). The score is the secret sauce.

This is A+ filmmaking! In fact, the whole filmmaking style is reminiscent of Martin Campbell in GE. The Batmobile chase is very similar to the tank chase.

Yeah, it's no secret....Zimmer is such a genius with action music....ever since I listened to his 'Broken Arrrow' score....I've always followed his music.
  • Oh my @Pierce2Daniel. Did PanchitoPistoles take over your account?
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    JamesStock wrote: »
    Oh my @Pierce2Daniel. Did PanchitoPistoles take over your account?

:)) :))
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,416

Daniel Craig and Lashana..

His Rush Score is more like Mission Impossible 2 and some tracks also have some QOS style and some tracks even a bit TDK.

Jesus, i had to turn that Rush score off - it sounds like Stomp the Musical all those damn drums overwhelming everything. Interestingly i enjoyed the film but the score must've gone under the radar when i watched it.
    Now will Eilish and Zimmer find a way to integrate the main title song into the melody of the soundtrack????????????
  • Will Billie's song be weaved or woven into the score.
    Does anyone know.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Will Billie's song be weaved or woven into the score.
    Does anyone know.
    How could we possibly know that?
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Does anyone know.

Yes, Hans knows.
  • People ask unanswerable questions on here every day. Sometimes multiple times a day. Why am I the only one to get a backlash?
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    People ask unanswerable questions on here every day. Sometimes multiple times a day. Why am I the only one to get a backlash?

I can't answer that question.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Does anyone know.

No. And, no.

At least, that’s where my expectations lie. Until I’m in theaters hearing the Eilish instrumental by Zimmer play out through the film I have no faith in EON seeing to it that it happens beyond a token appearance like with the last two films.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    People ask unanswerable questions on here every day. Sometimes multiple times a day. Why am I the only one to get a backlash?
    Because we all know what you're up to.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.

Welcome to the thread people just try to get topics going and discuss if you don't like it leave I guess. it's a forum.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Does anyone know.

No. And, no.

At least, that’s where my expectations lie. Until I’m in theaters hearing the Eilish instrumental by Zimmer play out through the film I have no faith in EON seeing to it that it happens beyond a token appearance like with the last two films.

Seems fair enough: you can’t be disappointed that way.
    Minion wrote: »
    Because we all know what you're up to.

And who he is. Just don't indulge him guys. We all recognise that rhetoric, don't we?
    mtm wrote: »
    Does anyone know.

No. And, no.

Given how EON has handled music scores and title songs since 1989, I can’t fool myself into thinking it’ll turn out like the years with Barry, Hamlisch, and Conti.
    Does anyone know.

No. And, no.

Given how EON has handled music scores and title songs since 1989, I can’t fool myself into thinking it’ll turn out like the years with Barry, Hamlisch, and Conti.

It serves a different purpose now. Then it was part of the score. The composer wrote the song with one eye on making it usable throughout the movie. Now it is closer to the trailer. An artist is hired to create a buzz ahead of movie release date. You now just have to hope the song isn’t clashing with the score and that it gets used as an instrumental at least once.
    vzok wrote: »
    Does anyone know.

No. And, no.

It serves a different purpose now. Then it was part of the score. The composer wrote the song with one eye on making it usable throughout the movie. Now it is closer to the trailer. An artist is hired to create a buzz ahead of movie release date. You now just have to hope the song isn’t clashing with the score and that it gets used as an instrumental at least once.

Pretty much. Though David Arnold tried to make it a collaboration like Barry did, but didn’t always work out that way (DAD, QOS).
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Probably the title song will not be intervowen in the score. It seems like EON does not want the music composer to write the title song, and we know that FINEAS and Billie have written the song. As some already wrote above, that David Arnold tried this with DAD and QOS, but they opted to have Madonna and White write the songs on their own. With CR it worked, and with TND he actually did this, but his theme song "Surrender"was relegated to the end credits, but at least he did interweave it into his score. Hopefully at least the theme song will be on the soundtrack CD, but I heavily doubt it. In the Craig era it was only QOS, where they put it on the CD.
    It depends on how long the film is. CR, SF, and SP are the longest films of the franchise with a ton of scoring. For those they decided to keep the title songs as just singles. This is why QOS has the title song as the score was short enough to fit the song in the album.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 5,767
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Delicious!....Fukunaga has even heard part of the score & he approves....the score must be absolutely Bondian then.
    Why is that? What else do you expect Fukunaga to say? And even supposing Fukunaga does like what he heard so far, how do you know that his taste is "Bondian"? He brought a composer on board that was sacked late into production.

I think coz he said 'The music of Bond has always been Iconic'....so I think that means the score's Bondian enough. And there's every chance Zimmer looked at the musical history of Bond before he started composing. Remember Fukunaga knows Duran Duran's theme....maybe he thought Romer would embrace the Bond style fully...and obviously, Romer didn't.
    That doesn't make a lot of sense.
    'The music of Bond has always been iconic' is as bland a statement is one can make it. It says literally nothing about the latest film, it merely invites the reader to speculate.
    Zimmer looking at the musical history of Bond films doesn't change his style of production, nor his approach to composing.
    Hardly anything seems less logical than expecting Romer to 'embrace the Bond style'. Fukunaga worked long enough with Romer to know the obvious. If he employed Romer, he wasn't looking for any traditional Bond style.

And can people please stop posting those horrible Zimmer music clips? There isn´t one single example posted here that doesn´t give me nightmares when I think of the music of NTTD.
    I’ll be sure to post more clips to get your hopes up.

Welcome to the Zimmer thread!!!

BWWAAAAARRRMMMMM!!!!

Hans-Zimmer-by-Dita-Vollmond-IMG_4571.jpg
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Delicious!....Fukunaga has even heard part of the score & he approves....the score must be absolutely Bondian then.
    Why is that? What else do you expect Fukunaga to say? And even supposing Fukunaga does like what he heard so far, how do you know that his taste is "Bondian"? He brought a composer on board that was sacked late into production.

I think coz he said 'The music of Bond has always been Iconic'....so I think that means the score's Bondian enough. And there's every chance Zimmer looked at the musical history of Bond before he started composing. Remember Fukunaga knows Duran Duran's theme....maybe he thought Romer would embrace the Bond style fully...and obviously, Romer didn't.
    That doesn't make a lot of sense.
    'The music of Bond has always been iconic' is as bland a statement is one can make it. It says literally nothing about the latest film, it merely invites the reader to speculate.
    Zimmer looking at the musical history of Bond films doesn't change his style of production, nor his approach to composing.
    Hardly anything seems less logical than expecting Romer to 'embrace the Bond style'. Fukunaga worked long enough with Romer to know the obvious. If he employed Romer, he wasn't looking for any traditional Bond style.

Yeah, I would like to believe Fukunaga saying Bond Music is 'iconic' means he knows Bond music....means even though he wasn't looking for traditional Bond music, at least that statement is quite comforting. Of coz even Michael Bay can say Bond Music is iconic. It's just me simply trying to be optimistic about the movie. Believing Fukunaga knows Bond enough to give us a very Bondian film in all aspects. After all Mendes knew Newman's style and still brought him along....and while Newman's work wasn't entirely Bondian, it still sounded like Bond at least....I don't think we can say the same for Romer's score....maybe Fukunaga & Eon thought like Newman, Romer's style would still sound Bondian....while he also retains his style. From the looks of it, it seems Romer gave the score 90% his style & 10% Bond.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    And can people please stop posting those horrible Zimmer music clips? There isn´t one single example posted here that doesn´t give me nightmares when I think of the music of NTTD.

This might not be the thread for you, then. :P
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool

:x
  • EiragornEiragorn Hessia
    vzok wrote: »

That's about the most perfect zimmary I've ever seen :D But, honestly, after looking a bit deeper into his catalogue I got cautiously optimistic: the scores up until the early 00s that put him on the map aren't that bad. Here's hoping he doesn't do it on autopilot this time! Still I can't predict inhowfar he will embrace the Bond style fully for he hasn't shown any respect for the legacy when doing Superman or Batman. That also stretches down to referencing the title song of which he surely had a demo ready from the start.

Btw, afaik the only composers that refused to incorporate the song into the score are Kamen and Newman since in the other examples s/o posted the timing didn't align to do so.