The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Ah, okay, that makes sense! I guess "butterfingers" hasn't really made it into my regular vocabulary. Thanks, @ProfJoeButcher!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    It was very common back then. It was even the name of a can’t bar (may still be).
    Yes, I remember the candy bar "Butterfinger" from my U.S. exchange year 45 years ago, and figured it was probably based on peanut "butter", but I was never aware that the brand name was obviously a play on words in the first place, so I didn't make the connection to "butter-hook" either.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It was very common back then. It was even the name of a can’t bar (may still be).

It still exists.
    edited December 2019 Posts: 8,656
    Yes, I googled it in the meantime. The brand is now owned by Ferrero. Before, it was decades of Nestlé. It was pulled from the German market in 1999 because Greenpeace and consumer organisations found out the product contained genetically modified corn, and there were protests all over the place. I haven't seen it in the last twenty years.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Why does Melina say, "Go backwards forwards quickly!"?

If at that point they were facing the wrong way (ie facing the bad guys car as it approached them) then she was saying keep going in the same direction as before, but backwards.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    In the Robert Sellers book The Battle for Bond, p. 218-219, he relates Kevin McClory's later complaints of the Eon Bond films.
    McClory even listed the Bond films he claimed
    infringed his rights. They were Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger,
    Thunderball, You Only Live Twice, Diamonds Are Forever, The Spy Who Loved
    Me
    , and The World Is Not Enough. This also included "any and all infringements
    in DVDs and any other new media."

Why is The World Is Not Enough singled out?

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    In the Robert Sellers book The Battle for Bond, p. 218-219, he relates Kevin McClory's later complaints of the Eon Bond films.
    McClory even listed the Bond films he claimed
    infringed his rights. They were Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger,
    Thunderball, You Only Live Twice, Diamonds Are Forever, The Spy Who Loved
    Me
    , and The World Is Not Enough. This also included "any and all infringements
    in DVDs and any other new media."

Why is The World Is Not Enough singled out?

And why is OHMSS left out? It's in the Blofeld/Spectre run..
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    NicNac wrote: »
    Why does Melina say, "Go backwards forwards quickly!"?

If at that point they were facing the wrong way (ie facing the bad guys car as it approached them) then she was saying keep going in the same direction as before, but backwards.

Such a weird line.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    "Go (from) backwards (to) forwards--quickly!" is closer. There's the desperation of the moment, English as a second language in play. (Better to declare: "DO A JIM ROCKFORD! BOY!!!")

The mechanics of a person in the passenger seating assisting a standard transmission perpetrating a J-turn is pretty fantastic, but the filmmakers make it work on screen.

• MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited December 2019 Posts: 1,165
    It’s intentionally confusing, hence Roger’s “Hrm?” before Melina takes over.
    Why did Bond & Tracy thought it was a good idea to go Skiing the day after Blofeld and his men were chasing them the night before?
    That was the only mean of transportation they had left after their car had given up the ghost the evening before. And they would have gotten away with it too, if not for that meddling Blofeld-caused avalanche.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I should have said why must Drax Industries be the place to start. Wouldn't it be more logical to start the investigation wherever the 707 carrying the shuttle took off for the UK? You know, ask around, find out if anyone saw anything suspicious... or are we meant to assume the plane took off from Drax Industries?

If it didn't, I understand Bond's visit to Drax could be considered to have a diplomatic purpose, even if he says no apology will be issued just yet, but observing how the shuttle is built, getting a tour of the construction facilities... it seems to have little relation with finding out how the shuttle was hijacked in mid-flight. Bond doesn't need a degree in engineering to investigate the theft.

One of the many leaps of faith one must take for MR to work. I mean why send Bond, an double-o, to perform diplomacy. From what I remember of the film Drax wasn't even a suspect. Course that takes us to the next leap of faith. Why does Drax after meeting Bond say "Take Care of Mr. Bond. See that some harm comes to him." Why harm Bond at all. Bond didn't know anything, but now that Drax brings him harm he's now on to him. Drax then doubles down and gets a minion to attempt to assassinate Bond.

I enjoy the brainless MR from time to time but it has plot holes you could drive a mack truck through.
    Gerard wrote: »
    That was the only mean of transportation they had left after their car had given up the ghost the evening before. And they would have gotten away with it too, if not for that meddling Blofeld-caused avalanche.

Were they skiing back to the main town?
    Or to another town, or the next farm.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 3,675
    Any of you music folks know why the score to SP sounds so similar to SF?
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.

Mendes told Newman to reuse the tracks I read it online in a interview i believe by either one of them.
    007Blofeld wrote: »

Mendes told Newman to reuse the tracks I read it online in a interview i believe by either one of them.
    Not quite, @007Blofeld. Mendez and his editor used TN’s Skyfall queues as temp tracks, and thought they fit so well they kept them. My understanding is those bits weren’t re-orchestrated, just tweaked in editing, with tracks like “Backfire” being exceptions.
    I had heard that story before, but just wasn't quite sure if it was true or not.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Minion wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »

Not quite, @007Blofeld. Mendez and his editor used TN’s Skyfall queues as temp tracks, and thought they fit so well they kept them. My understanding is those bits weren’t re-orchestrated, just tweaked in editing, with tracks like “Backfire” being exceptions.

@Minion I guess I heard wrong then.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    How many Bond films does Bond use a foreign tongue?
    I count, FRWL, YOLT, TSWLM,MR, FYEO,OP, TLD, TND, TWINE, DAD, QOS.
    Am I missing any?
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    There’s some more mentioned here
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/6007/james-bond-cunning-linguist

How could you forget Mickey Mouse in SP? 😉
    This question probably been ask but are we suppose to ignore YOLT the movie during OHMSS? Because if Bond is undercover as sir Hillary and meets with Blofeld, wouldn't have Blofeld recognize Bond from YOLT mission in Japan?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited January 2020 Posts: 17,727
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    This question probably been ask but are we suppose to ignore YOLT the movie during OHMSS? Because if Bond is undercover as sir Hillary and meets with Blofeld, wouldn't have Blofeld recognize Bond from YOLT mission in Japan?

It must have been that clever disguise Bond is wearing as Sir Hilary Bray: a hat, glasses and a coat, with a pipe to finish off the look! The writers had thought of explaining Bond's change in appearance with the new actor by revealing Bond had had plastic surgery in order to evade his enemies. Though this was rather gimmicky idea which they ultimately dropped perhaps it would have gone some way to better explain why Blofeld didn't recognise Bond under a rather flimsy disguise.

Of course this problem never came up in the novels as OHMSS was where Bond and Blofeld first met. Interestingly enough, Bond did use the disguise of making himself look Japanese in the following book, YOLT. However, Bunt and Blofeld weren't too long in seeing through that disguise as well when he gets captured in the Castle of Death! The whole problem arises in the film continuity when they decided to film YOLT before OHMSS as they laboured under the (false) impression that OHMSS was "Thunderball on skis." Things would have worked out so much better if TB-OHMSS had actually been filmed in the proper Fleming Blofeld trilogy sequence, and in the case of YOLT, filmed much more faithfully to the source novel than it ultimately was.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    You’d also assume that Blofeld has seen the photograph of Bond that SPECTRE have in their possession from FRWL, although I always got the impression that Blofeld knew/suspected it was Bond long before the reveal.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 1,964
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    fjdinardo wrote: »

Of course this problem never came up in the novels as OHMSS was where Bond and Blofeld first met. Interestingly enough, Bond did use the disguise of making himself look Japanese in the following book YOLT. However, Bunt and Blofeld weren't too long in seeing through that disguise as well when he gets captured in the Castle of Death! The whole problem arises in the film continuity when they decided to film YOLT before OHMSS as they laboured under the (false) impression that OHMSS was "Thunderball on skis." Things would have worked out so much better if TB-OHMSS had actually been filmed in the proper Fleming Blofeld trilogy sequence, and in the case of YOLT, filmed much more faithfully to the source novel than it ultimately was.

Totally agree. This is probably the biggest mess ups in the film series.
    You’d also assume that Blofeld has seen the photograph of Bond that SPECTRE have in their possession from FRWL, although I always got the impression that Blofeld knew/suspected it was Bond long before the reveal.

Me too. They both wrongly thought that their flimsy disguises were fooling each other. In fact I find that the most enjoyable and logical way to interpret it.

That's how I always took it as well.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    In the Inside DAF documentary, Guy Hamilton claims that an assistant screwed up his climactic oil rig battle.

Is this true? I've read many a making-of and never found any reference to such a thing. I think he's lying... Anyone have any info?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Would anyone know if the CZ Scorpion EVO 3 has been seen in any Bond films or other Bond-related media? It was released in 2009, so can only be from the Craig-era films, games, or perhaps the comics. I received one by accident, just want to check before I go through the hassle of sending this thing back, cheers.
    Nope, never appeared in any Bond media.