What do you want from Billie Eilish's NTTD's title song?

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2020 Posts: 12,459
    I am fine with either singer, just give us a really great Bond song. And hopefully work with Zimmer without issues. How do you pronounce Billie's last name?
    Yeah it's just odd the Beyonce hints were pretty strong, in my opinion.
    I do wonder if Beyonce faked her hints in cahoots with EON - ha! ;)

Anyway, here's this (no truly official word yet, I think; just this ...)

Maybe a long shot, but could the title song debut at the Grammys during Eilish’s performance?

I am fine with either singer, just give us a really great Bond song. And hopefully work with Zimmer without issues. How do you pronounce Billie's last name?

I *think* eye-leash

but could be wrong
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave

Eye-lish
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    Good to know its Billie Eilish. I love her songs especially Bad Guy and You Should See Me in a Crown. Looking forward to hear her do a Bond theme!
    Definitely more exciting choice than Beyonce
    So this is confirmed? I haven’t heard her before; I’ll have to listen to a few songs.
    She's got a good voice. Will all depend on the song. Beyonce sounds bland to me.
  • Would be happy with Billie Eilish, would be my second choice behind Lana Del Rey, and she is influenced by Lana Del Rey.
  • I was hoping the song would be from Safin's perspective, like Thunderball is from Largo's. Oh well. This is a strong 2nd choice. Is there a chance this will win a third Oscar for Bond songs?
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    How have we fallen from Adele to Eilish in two films smh. I really hope this doesn't turn out to be true. She's got little range and said so herself in an interview. I know nobody cares but her brand image isn't even remotely close to the franchise's so it just feels... inauthentic. It's definitely a choice from Cary who I had championed for being such a breath of fresh air. Guess I forgot to be careful what I wished for. xD
  • How have we fallen from Adele to Eilish in two films smh. I really hope this doesn't turn out to be true. She's got little range and said so herself in an interview. I know nobody cares but her brand image isn't even remotely close to the franchise's so it just feels... inauthentic. It's definitely a choice from Cary who I had championed for being such a breath of fresh air. Guess I forgot to be careful what I wished for. xD

Nowt wrong with Eilish.
    How have we fallen from Adele to Eilish in two films smh. I really hope this doesn't turn out to be true. She's got little range and said so herself in an interview. I know nobody cares but her brand image isn't even remotely close to the franchise's so it just feels... inauthentic. It's definitely a choice from Cary who I had championed for being such a breath of fresh air. Guess I forgot to be careful what I wished for. xD

I get what you're saying about the brand thing, this might turn out to be a QoS type of choice, who knows

We'll see what will happen tho
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 4,400
    The frontrunner at the moment is Billie Eilish. It seems that Cary Fukunaga is a fan.....I fully expect her to sing the title tune.

I would like to say that I called this on 25 December.....there were a few snarky people that said I was gonna be wrong. But I did say it was likely after CJF started following her on Instagram.

Just saying.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 68
    @Pierce2Daniel can I just take this opportunity, to say thank you. You and Antovolk and maybe a couple of others, who only post here with solid news or reasonable speculation, are a breath of fresh air.

As someone who has followed this thread for the last five miserable years, waking up every morning to soul-deadening posts like "Is there any news today?" and "Does anyone think there will be news today?" or "Will David Dencik appear in Matera?" or similar, your name has always been a reason to click on the thread.

It has been noted and appreciated :)
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    I was bummed by the Beyonce rumors, so this is welcome news... don’t know her stuff, so in sampling some, I was pleasantly surprised. What a Bond song will be like by her is a big question mark so that’s cool...

Charmed by her (and family) in this... especially ukulele Beatles and her own original tune:

The same thing could have been said about Nancy Sinatra when comparing her to Shirley Bassey, or Sheena Easton after Carly Simon. But both contributed memorable songs that have either been sampled by other famous musicians or Oscar nominated.

• edited January 2020 Posts: 565
    Nancy Sinatra's voice bothers the crap out of me in YOLT. The forced vibrato. 😱 Both YOLT (excluding Barry's instrumental) and FYEO are the bottom for me in songs, so I have to disagree.

So it's Billie E. At the moment, eh? Ugh, at least I'll be starting with massively low expectations, so it's only uphill, right?
    JamesStock wrote: »
    Nancy Sinatra's voice bothers the crap out of me in YOLT. The force vibrato. 😱 Both YOLT (excluding Barry's instrumental) and FYEO are the bottom for me in songs, so I have to disagree.

So it's Billie E. At the moment, eh? Ugh, at least I'll be starting with massively low expectations, so it's only uphill, right?

Fair enough. I’m just saying that having the best performing album of 2019, with a Metacritic rating of 82 (out of 100), is the direct antithesis of BondAficionado’s sentiment. Would Eilish even be an issue if she was older than 18? Lana Del Rey seems to be an understandably popular candidate on these forums for a Bond theme. Eilish has been compared to Del Rey, and holds her up as an influence.

The frontrunner at the moment is Billie Eilish. It seems that Cary Fukunaga is a fan.....I fully expect her to sing the title tune.

I would like to say that I called this on 25 December.....there were a few snarky people that said I was gonna be wrong. But I did say it was likely after CJF started following her on Instagram.

Just saying.

I can't get rid of the feeling that the MI6-story is just based on your discovery.
  • MonsieurMerciMonsieurMerci France
    I strongly hope it's Billie Eilish, and not the Beyoncé safe choice.

To me, the closest "OST song" sound from Eilish is :

Very nice
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    As long as the artist doesn't do Rap, am not entirely worried. The thing is, most Singers who've done the Bond theme, don't sound like Bond in their other songs. For Example, I can't think of any other Adele or Smith song that sounds like Bond. It only gets to show the Artist adapts to the Bond sound when called upon.
  • As typical as it is for the producers to go for a relevant, marketable artist, Eilish is far more experimental/unusual than I would’ve thought. Especially so soon after parting from Romer for that very reason. That said, I’m very excited by what she’ll put together for this one. For those unfamiliar I’d recommend these:

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Station_Z wrote: »

Just saying.

I can't get rid of the feeling that the MI6-story is just based on your discovery.

Exactly, we don't have any source for confirmation yet. Just speculations.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Just saying.

We just asked why you claimed her to be the favourite. Don’t be bitter.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Eilish is very talented. Since we are talking about the epic culmination of a 5 movies arc Beyoncé + Zimmer still seems a more obvious choice. She’s a superstar. Eilish on the other hand seems more in line with a director like Fukunaga.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I really do want the song & score to bring back the screaming trumpets.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Now watch it be Sting after all. ;)

Which I wouldn't mind either ... just give us confirmation soon. That would be oh so nice.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Eilish would not be such a bad choice at all. The Theme Song is where I always give the movies their maximum commercial exploitation opportunities. I'm fine with not liking it very much (DAD, AWTD) if that means luring more people to the theatre. Understand that Billy is hotter than hell right now. I know what I'm talking about; I'm surrounded by 14 to18-year-olds on a daily basis and they are never not listening to her music. So if this means that they too will consider watching a Bond film and perhaps jump on the wagon of Bond fandom, then that's a good thing, right? Besides, there's a chance I would like her song very much. I've liked most of her previous singles...
  • Station_Z wrote: »

Just saying.

I wouldn’t be too hasty…..I’ve spoken to at least two people inside the loop on this and they have said that Billie Eilish is doing the song. I think the news is starting to leak out now.

I’d be rather chuffed as it shows my detective skills haven’t gone rusty.

Personally, I think Eilish has a terrific voice and style. It’s very haunting and avant garde. I do think her style and way of dressing is a little ‘young’ – though, you won’t be able to see that in the film. I suspect this was a CJF choice. Which is refreshing as Mendes swayed towards big theatrical ballads by young British artists singing about heartbreak……………………this seems very different.

Also, Eilish appeals to younger people, who may not have cared about Bond. However, how many of them will buy a ticket? I doubt many. Just look at the Charlie’s Angels reboot. That had the millennial triple-punch of Arianna Grande, Lana Del Rey and Millie Cyrus. It didn’t help the box office.

For those reasons, I am dubious as Eilish doesn’t seem a very ’on brand’ for the franchise on a surface level. However musically speaking, she’s perfect.

versace-shirt-jacket-and-shorts-chrome-hearts-chain-y-3-sandals.jpg
This discussion has been closed.