Movie Soundtracks (NOT Bond) - Old & New Films (chat)

4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
I'm starting this thread because I love movies, and I have a special fondness for much older films (30s through 70s). Please feel free to run with this thread. I'm not on here a lot, but I'd enjoy this topic being discussed fully.

Many of you are better informed than me when it comes to movie scores (that is an understatement). I'd really enjoy you dissecting your favorite films - old or new - with the soundtrack/score being the main topic, please. Composers, background stories, video clips, please have at it. I'll go get some popcorn now. ;) Thanks (because I cannot be consistent on the forum; it's up to you to make this thread take off).

Here's a video of the music from a film I really loved from the first moment - and the music is absolutely perfect.
Lawrence of Arabia (1962) ~ composer Maurice Jarre.
a selection of the music ...
and brief clip from the film ...

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Movies from any decade are fine. List your favorites, dissect a particular composer's work, whatever you'd like here. Just stick to nonBond films and keep the topic on the music (not director or actors; though, of course, fine to mention - I just don't want too many digressions).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Godfather I & II-- god it just gets inside of me. Makes me want to eat lots of pasta, bread and olive oil and wash it down with red wine and signing contracts I just can't refuse.

Beautiful work and it adds dimensions to already two, very stunning films.
    Yes, I think the music matched those films beautifully. And now I want nothing more than a big Italian feast to eat. Sigh ...
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Miklos Rozsa's Thief of Baghdad(1940) is such a magical score. Rozsa is also responsible for the many Roman Epics & gave it an instantly recognizable sound in Movies like Ben-hur(1959), King of Kings(1961), Quo Vadis(1951), Julius Caesar(1953), etc. Such an influential Composer.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yes, I think the music matched those films beautifully. And now I want nothing more than a big Italian feast to eat. Sigh ...

Scorsese films like GOODFELLAS do the same thing. Although he takes great songs, primarily from the 50s through to the late 70s and uses them, rather than an original score, to heighten dramatic irony.

"All I ever wanted to be was a gangster"-- Tony Bennett belting out Rags to Riches (my Fate is Up To You), which is what this film is all about (but it's more rags to riches, back to living the rest of a life "like a schnook"... )

Songs like Speedo-- which was the introduction to Jimmy "the Gent"-- made this kid's life so heart-pounding and exciting...

So many classics which have a pulse on where the story is at, all climaxing with a paranoid and stoned-out, coke-head, Henry Hill, rushing all around his neighbourhood in one day.... with songs from the Rolling Stones (Monkey Man), George Harrison (What is Life), and his downfall as a schnook (Sid Vicious singing My Way!!!!)... Scorsese knows how to use popular music to push his narrative...

And then there's the music for Raging Bull... sublime and beautiful...
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 17,241
    peter wrote: »
    Godfather I & II-- god it just gets inside of me. Makes me want to eat lots of pasta, bread and olive oil and wash it down with red wine and signing contracts I just can't refuse.

Beautiful work and it adds dimensions to already two, very stunning films.

Don't need the Godfather films and scores to put myself in that mood. I could eat pasta and bread and wash it down with red wine every day! If it was healthy…
    _________

It's difficult not to mention John Barry even in a non-Bond movie score thread. One of my go-to scores I listen to regularly (and have been for years), is Barry's score for The Ipcress File. I never get tired of it; it's just brilliant.

Lalo Schifrin's Bullitt score is another one I find myself listening to regularly. It doesn't get cooler than these two scores, IMO!

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    When I was about ten years old, my parents bought their first VCR and, with it, a lovely VHS copy of William Wyler's Ben Hur. Though an "old" movie by any standards of mine at the time, I watched and rewatched that movie with an unparallelled fondness, finding much to love, including the story, the Roman sets, the tense chariot race and... the music. After a few viewings of the film, I could hum bars from the score. I had evidently fallen in love with a film score, yet one so "old", I dared not confide this love to my peers, who had just begun discovering pop music and metal and were all about being "cool" and "hip".

A few years later, I was astonished to learn that film music could actually be bought on CD. I went from store to store, in ardent pursuit of Miklós Rózsa's delicious Ben-Hur score, but reality bit me like Winter frost as no such thing proved available at the time. My relentless hunting down of the score was forced to come to an empty end at last when it was made blatantly clear to me that I was looking for something that simply didn't exist. I couldn't believe it.

And then it happened, several years later. A two-disc release of Miklós Rózsa's score was announced and I cried tears of joy. Now an engineering student with access to the Internet, I made my first overseas purchase as it were. A few patient weeks later, it arrived, in a beautiful edition. Thus began the second life of my love for this music, a love that has, in fact, never stopped to grow. Even now, I am still very fond of the Ben-Hur score. I praise it with all my heart. It's quite simply splendid.

But it didn't stop there. Soon, I had tracked down the score for Gone With The Wind, Spartacus, Quo Vadis, Lawrence Of Arabia and even The Ten Commandments; I had bought almost all the famous Bernard Herrmann scores for Hitchcock movies (and others); I became the proud owner of several Hammer scores, of soundtrack albums to most of Kubrick's films, of old horror movie scores (including some particularly obscure ones) and more.

Yes, I love "older" film music. Many of those scores and soundtracks haven't lost one bit of their charm, their grandness, their odours and flavours so to speak. I well up inside when listening to the score of Casablanca and to the music of pretty much any Audrey Hepburn film--with a particular fondness for Mancini's music. Any time I watch an "older" movie and like its music, I will seek it out as a soundtrack, a full score or whatever is available. To quote my parents, I guess I was born "many decades too late."

Film music became a thing for me when I discovered the Bonds, Indiana Jones, Rambo and more. While my classmates were into rock and pop, I was playing the three J's: Barry, Williams and Goldsmith. It would soon turn into a proud obsession. As a teenager, I completely lost any reservations about professing my love for film music. People would ask, "What music are you into?" and I would answer, "film music." Then they would say, "Yeah, yeah, like Axel F and such." I would scoff at them--bloody amateurs. Axel F is not bad, of course; now let us talk about serious stuff, like Blade Runner, Batman, Jaws, ...

Film music is never not on my mind. And I go both deep and broad in my selection. From Japanimation scores to slasher movie scores, from the most classic pieces to the most modern "ambient" scores, from Bond to far beyond. Pretty much anything can play in my house, but I have two rules:
    1. I never listen to a score unless I've seen the film first (with a few exceptions such as an upcoming Bond film).
    2. I never listen to "soundtrack albums" or "music inspired by the motion picture" unless it's the closest I can get to an actual score.

Why I love the Internet? Not for its easy access to topless pics of celebrities, but for its easy access to film scores. Film music is my music, it's what I listen to when I'm working, when I'm reading, when I'm driving my car or taking the train to work. I can grab some other stuff from time to time, but 99% of the time, I'm listening to film music. I couldn't name five Beatles songs, but I know who scored Halloween Resurrection or the 1943 Son Of Dracula.
    I love these films being mentioned here because I am interested enough to go listen to some of this music online. Thank you!.

Miraculously, nobody has mentioned Quentin yet ... ;) ha!
    @Torgeirtrap. Yeah, the score to 'The Ipcress file' is also a favourite of mine. The track 'Alone in three-quarter time' from the score is so very stylish....really fits Harry Palmer's Character. All the tracks are also great. The track 'A man alone' seems to be the main theme...as it's done in 3 different renditions. John Barry really shines with the score.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,416
    I collect soundtracks from movies i haven't collect or/and seen the movie yet.
    Or buy soundtrack because it was cheap and you never know.

Danny Elfman - Men in Black. In 2019 for € 1,00. Very out of print.
    Graeme Revell - The Negotiator
    Jerry Goldsmith - The Russia House. With Sean Connery. Bonus: New
    John Williams - Rosewood. Directed by Steven Spielberg
    Leaving Las Vegas.
    Ennio Morricone - The Untouchables. BD is on my wishlist. Sean Connery.
    Elia Cmiral - Ronin. 2 Disc Se dvd or new BD who include bonus disc atleast..
    Danny Elfman - Edward Scissorhands. Bonus: Gift from work.
    The Jungle Book. Original. Waiting on BD with sleeve.
    Kristen Anderson-Lopez And Robert Lopez, Christophe Beck - Frozen. To exited mood i bought it and to late i discover there is also a 2 disc version. 3D release be on my wishlist and i expect going to be end fast in my collection.
    Oliver & Company - Dutch release. I prefer Dutch dub. 80's dub. Stil waiting to get BD or a new release.
    Hans Zimmer - The Prince Of Egypt. Waiting to spot last year released BD and for a good price.
    James Horner - Jumanji. The 2017 BD steelbook. By mistake i not buy movie on but dvd but some stupid game on queensday in the past. I was exited because include a booklet, nice bonus now when i finaly wil have the movie.
    Hans Zimmer Featuring Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Pirates Of The Caribbean On Stranger Tides. € 5,00 second hand. Release disapointed in bonus material. Waiting on new release, but if can get 3D steelbook i possible get it. Mabey even the 5th end earlier in my collection. But it is Disney, wil be another long wait... Ant Man was my last one and only 3D i collect til i bought 2016 Jungle book.
    Speed 2. Not released in The Netherlands on BD, just waiting til i found English American or even German release. The Soundtrack is limited release and pay as i soundtrack have cost in the 90's. 23 € (Fl 40,60).
    Angelo Badalamenti - A Very Long Engagement. 2 Disc SE with sleeve or new BD release who include bonus disc atleast. Bonus: Include sleeve.
    Brad Fiedel - True Lies. Are Fox sleeping. No BD yet.
    Randy Newman - Monsters, Inc. 3D release not include the bonus disc from earlier 3 disc edition and those days 3D now also missing the sleeve. Already have the sequel's 3 Disc 3D who is a prequel.
    Alan Menken, David Zippel - Disney's Hercules. BD another disapointed release with lack in bonus material. Bonus: 2006 re-release with more tracks and new for € 2,50.
    Burkhard Dallwitz - The Truman Show. Another from the already big BD list of titles you think where is it. Whyle BD include all extra's as CE and it is Jim Carry movie who was stil hot then.
    Michael Kamen - The Three Musketeers. 1993 movie.

25 movies in total.

Thinking i whant collect the movie first can turn out more expensive or a disapointed those days. Possible skipping some very needed soundtracks in the past who are now very out of print.

In collection:
    Xmen 2
    Transformers 2
    Night At The Museum 2
    Speed. Dvd was expensive and Speed 2 soundtrack too.
    Finding Nemo
    The Incredibles
    Spider-Man. Dvd was expensive.
    Lord of Rings. All 3
    Wreck-It Ralph. Bonus: Gift from work. Whyle BD lack in bonusmaterial i collect 3D release with sleeve for € 13,33. Over priced but i bought it together with 3 Disc 3D limited release of Brave and the first Hobbit movie in 3D for € 40,00. All new. So far i pay € 49,99 in total with the soundtrack of Brave ( € 9,99) who collect later.
    A Bug's Life.
    Jurassic Park 1 & 3
    Despicable Me 2
    The Lion King (1994)
    Aladdin (1992)
    Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs
    Pocahontas
    Lady and The Tramp
    Sleeping Beauty
    Tarzan (1999)
    Tarzan (1999)- Dutch dub.
    Treasure Planet
    Epic. Bonus: New for € 5,00. € 17,50 in total with 3 Disc 3D with sleeve of the movie who i bought earlier for € 12,50. Close to max of 13,00 i whant to pay. Money i saved made that i was easier to buy Rio 2 (€ 13,66 coupon price. But for my feeling i pay € 10,00) who no longer include dvd.
    Spirit: Stallion Of The Cimarron
    TRON: Legacy
    Shrek.
    Hulk (2004)
    Mission Impossible 1 & 2. Dvd of second movie is moost expensive i pay from my collection for single disc. € 31,50 (fl 69,99) My moost expensive BD you can have bought twice and stil get € 1,50 left. A bit les of 1/3 i pay for Macgyver collection and more then 50% for what pay for first two seasons of The Saint. Of course mi2 was my second dvd after Twine (€ 27,50/ fl 59,99).

Not:
    X-men
    Transformers
    Night At The Museum
    Spider-Man 2 (&3)
    The Hobbit. All 3.
    Wreck-It Ralph 2
    Jurassic Park 2
    Rio 1&2
    Despicable Me. Not exist.
    The Incredible Hulk (2008)
    Mission Impossible 3 & 4 (5&6)
    Ant-Man
    Iron Man
    Cath me If You Can. 2 Disc Se dvd was already very dificult to get.

In total something around 156-160 include from some of them i only single with title song and with some of them both. Artist soundtrack of 2-3 who overall not fan from and only have because it include score, alternate or/and soundtrack title song of the movie (Mi2, Godzilla 1998) or part of dvd of Shrek.

Isolated scores:
    Tomorrow Never Dies. SE dvd. Thanky David Arnold.
    Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991). BD. Also collect cd and 4 track single.
    Oblivion. 2 disc set with BD include bonus cd with 5 tracks.
    Fallout. 2 Disc BD.

But i prefer actualy discs.Stil i am very happy what Tom Cruise possible ask Universal doing this.

I also own limited dvd who only be avaible with statue limited edition of return of the king with composer doing audio/video commentary in between whyle you see them playing / recording the music in concert style.

I like Morricone’s sparse orchestral part 1, but John Carpenter and his simple synths add something special to part 2
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2020 Posts: 23,105
    Some of my favorite film scores which I own...

Superman the Movie
    JAWS
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    First Blood
    Tron Legacy
    Ben Hur
    Once Upon a Time in the West
    The Good the Bad and the Ugly
    Star Trek the Motion Picture
    Wrath of Khan I have all the scores to Star Trek movies
    The Search for Spock
    Alien
    Aliens
    Enter the Dragon
    Bullitt
    Mission Impossible III though I own all the scores, the second film is average.
    Blade Runner
    The Rocketeer
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Batman '89'
    Dances with Wolves
    Rocky I own all the scores, though 5 is not great.
    Creed
    Stargate
    Total Recall
    The Terminator
    Predator
    Conan the Barbarian
    The Matrix Reloaded I own all the scores.
    The Fellowship of the Ring I own all the scores.
    Kill Bill 1 and 2
    The Four Musketeers

Capricorn One...

Escape from the Planet of the Apes...

I love this theme

Lifeforce...

Who Dares Wins...

Another Sublime score is 'The Last Of The Mohicans' by Trevor Jones & Randy Edelman...such an Epic Score.

Ecstasy Of Gold from The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Ennio in concert version
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    @Torgeirtrap. Yeah, the score to 'The Ipcress file' is also a favourite of mine. The track 'Alone in three-quarter time' from the score is so very stylish....really fits Harry Palmer's Character. All the tracks are also great. The track 'A man alone' seems to be the main theme...as it's done in 3 different renditions. John Barry really shines with the score.

@GadgetMan Indeed – Barry really shines with this one. "Alone In Three Quarter Time" is one of my favourites too. As you write, it's so very stylish; it fits the style and tone of the film really well, but could also easily have been worked into something that would fit a Bond film. I also really like how "A Man Alone" works as a recurring theme (in different renditions) throughout the film. It gives the film character (in lack of a better word) – to me at least.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I first became aware of film music around 12 years old with the obvious double whammy of Star Wars and Superman where i was enthralled by John Williams incredible music. Then Williams score for Raiders of the Lost Ark really cemented my love of film music. That became the first movie soundtrack i ever purchased. I must have worn that LP out back in the day!

I think 1982 was the year my love of film music really took off. There were so many great scores that year and a lot of them remain firm favourites to this day;

Conan The Barbarian (Bazil Poleduris)
    Blade Runner (Vangelis)
    Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan (James Horner)
    E.T (John Williams)
    First Blood (Jerry Goldsmith)
    Tron (Wendy Carlos)
    Mad Max 2 (Brian May)
    The Thing (Ennio Morricone)

That same year my boss at work kindly gave me a Western themes collection of original music that i absolutely loved.

These days i'm not so prolific in my soundtrack collecting, but i have loved some of Hans Zimmer's work (Especially his Nolan scores) and think he is one of the best and versatile composers around.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,247

@GadgetMan Indeed – Barry really shines with this one. "Alone In Three Quarter Time" is one of my favourites too. As you write, it's so very stylish; it fits the style and tone of the film really well, but could also easily have been worked into something that would fit a Bond film. I also really like how "A Man Alone" works as a recurring theme (in different renditions) throughout the film. It gives the film character (in lack of a better word) – to me at least.

It does indeed....true, the score sounds like something that would have worked in a Bond film. Probably the Connery era. Maybe in DN, TB or DAF.

It does indeed....true, the score sounds like something that would have worked in a Bond film. Probably the Connery era. Maybe in DN, TB or DAF.

You definitely hear that Ipcress is very much a score of the "jazzy Barry" era, with tracks and cues that aren't too far away from the early Bond's – while being its own thing of course. To me, there are elements of that score that makes me think of GF, TB (released the same year as The Ipcress File) and DAF. He made some fantastic, standout music in that period!

You definitely hear that Ipcress is very much a score of the "jazzy Barry" era, with tracks and cues that aren't too far away from the early Bond's – while being its own thing of course. To me, there are elements of that score that makes me think of GF, TB (released the same year as The Ipcress File) and DAF. He made some fantastic, standout music in that period!

Yeah, 'a Jazzy Spy Score'....which indeed was the early Barry style. before we later saw his evolution to fit in with the 90s in scores like 'The Specialist' & 'Mercury Rising'. Really like these scores as well.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 17,241

Yeah, 'a Jazzy Spy Score'....which indeed was the early Barry style. before we later saw his evolution to fit in with the 90s in scores like 'The Specialist' & 'Mercury Rising'. Really like these scores as well.

The evolution of Barry's scores sure is interesting. He knew how to keep his music current, IMO – which is why he was so important for the Bond series.

The evolution of Barry's scores sure is interesting. He knew how to keep his music current, IMO – which is why he was so important for the Bond series.

Yeah, he really was.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Are there some special soundtracks people collect:

Creating The Lord Of The Rings Symphony - A Composer's Journey Through Middle-earth that i credit before.

From The Movies: CD in Metal round case. The CD include original themes and also songs from movies done by other singers. Include For Your Eyes Only by Dutch singer Anita Meyer. Original Ennio Morricone Once Upon A Time In The West. Or this fames one:

Shrek 3 Disc limited edition digipack with artist soundtrack.

5 Disc Limited Edition of POTC 1-3 include bonus disc and dvd all in small digipack in blackbox.

La La Land 4 Disc limited edition BD set with artist soundtrack of the movie.
  • Agreed that Miklos Rozsa’s score for BEN-HUR is probably the greatest film score of all time!! Sublime doesn’t even begin to properly describe it!!!
    I would then throw in Morricone’s TGTBATU and Barry’s YOLT to round out my personal top 3!!
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    No Bernard Herrmann here yet?? You're joking...

This thread is humming along nicely; thanks to everyone.

And a big yes from me regarding the music in The Last Of The Mohicans, @GadgetMan
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Another Sublime score is 'The Last Of The Mohicans' by Trevor Jones & Randy Edelman...such an Epic Score.

Hell yes. I love it. The whole sequence in the end, when the woman is taken away, they follow her, one fuy is killed and then the younger sister follows him to death by jumping down...combined with the score...EPIC. The scene alone would be good but only with tgis score music it is totally emotional andund unforgettable.
    This thread is humming along nicely; thanks to everyone.

And a big yes from me regarding the music in The Last Of The Mohicans, @GadgetMan

Yesssss!...an Impeccable score it is.

Hell yes. I love it. The whole sequence in the end, when the woman is taken away, they follow her, one fuy is killed and then the younger sister follows him to death by jumping down...combined with the score...EPIC. The scene alone would be good but only with tgis score music it is totally emotional andund unforgettable.

Sure....Very Soulful Score. Has a Celtic style about it as well.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2020 Posts: 23,105
    ggl007 wrote: »
    No Bernard Herrmann here yet?? You're joking...

Indeed criminal for myself to forget, his unused score from Torn Curtain...

And North by Northwest one of his very best...