The TIMOTHY DALTON Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Dalton could still play Bond!

Well maybe not quite. But if he’d got going with the series, I think he could’ve had a good stint.
    He’s a fantastic actor, and was a great OO7. Too bad he only got too make two. Though they’re a great and memorable two.
    Too many toos?
    What if he voiced animated Bond , then wed technically get a third movie :)
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    mattjoes wrote: »
    This is awesome. Yet another Dalton film I must add to my cellar.

I watched Made Men with a friend last night, as we decided admiring Tim's arse in those jeans was exactly how we wanted to see in the new decade.

...What's the film actually about? I haven't the faintest idea.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Tracy wrote: »
    What if he voiced animated Bond , then wed technically get a third movie :)

I have brought this up in the past, and would absolutely love to see this happen. An animated adaption of one of the Bond#17 drafts, yes please.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

I totally forgot about this :))
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

I totally forgot about this :))
    What in God's name did I just witness?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Farrah Fawcett would stop me.

That was awesome, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I watched the show as a kid though forgot about that episode, they rerun Charlie's Angels on the Sony Channel in the UK and just saw Dalton in a trailer, spot the stunt people :))
    I was there and of course don't recall all the episodes the way I view things today, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns.

My recent Farrah Fawcett sighting was a revisit of The Six Million Dollar Man. Damn you Lee Majors. With respect.
    51Fgqz9qUCL.jpg
    2216233457_small_1.jpg
    18970674.jpg
    419a3c7f.jpg
    abab5e4a6d23ce4a532c1fe48a3abe10--farrah-fawcett-lee.jpg
    edited January 2020 Posts: 23,102
    I was there and of course don't recall all the episodes the way I view things today, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns.

My recent Farrah Fawcett sighting was a revisit of The Six Million Dollar Man. Damn you Lee Majors. With respect.
    51Fgqz9qUCL.jpg
    2216233457_small_1.jpg
    18970674.jpg
    419a3c7f.jpg
    abab5e4a6d23ce4a532c1fe48a3abe10--farrah-fawcett-lee.jpg
    I have not seen The Six Million Dollar Man in years, though I have watched The Fall Guy recently.
    Saturn 3 was one of my earliest memory's of Farrah and of course...
    RCR0003g.jpg
    ef8600850e2ae3a8e8a8e830b29d976a.gif
    45c5769730b3f27cbff8b4110efae37f.png
    Cannonball Run such a great movie.
    ... And the famous poster...
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSfYzYQuAOEufwOPtzMC8Y0G6ulU2JSP1rF53XhvS0kPKGIfYsk
    Farrah-Fawcett-Timothy-Dalton-Rare-New-8X10-Photo.jpg
    I think this was taken in 1981, Dalton did not age much at all by the time he played Bond.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 12,914
    The Six Million Dollar Man was nice to revisit. When it was first aired I'd searched out and read the source novel Cyborg by Martin Caidin. So the battle between human and machine strikes a chord, then today I'm further struck how well it plays for Steve Austin to be so grounded and unrelenting for his homespun values. Doggedly human. It still works. And the co-stars/guest appearances are another draw.

I also started a rewatch of The Bionic Woman, more low-key but just as positive with its outlook presented.

The Fall Guy. Okay, you got me. I should catch up with that, too. To be honest at the time, I had the conflicted reaction of relishing the stunts featured and simultaneously "objecting" to either a repeat of a similar Bond stunt or far worse preceding a stunt I didn't recognize already in a Bond film.

Good fun now and then. And now.

edited January 2020 Posts: 23,102
    The Six Million Dollar Man was nice to revisit. When it was first aired I'd searched out and read the source novel Cyborg by Martin Caidin. So the battle between human and machine strikes a chord, then today I'm further struck how well it plays for Steve Austin to be so grounded and unrelenting for his homepun values. Doggedly human. It still works. And the co-stars/guest appearances are another draw.

I also started a rewatch of The Bionic Woman, more low-key but just as positive with its outlook presented.

The Fall Guy. Okay, you got me. I should catch up with that, too. To be honest at the time, I had the conflicted reaction of relishing the stunts featured and simultaneously "objecting" to either a repeat of a similar Bond stunt or far worse preceding a stunt I didn't recognize already in a Bond film.

Good fun now and then. And now.

I am a big fan of Hal Needham movies so The Fall Guy was an easy watch. Though even as a kid I recognised Bond's stunt work was the top tier.

Regarding The Six Million Dollar Man (which has yet to have a remake I think? Though Jaime Sommers had a remake last decade) the reason why so many remakes fall flat is they copy the blueprint though fail to recreate the essence. 70's and 80's TV and Film as obvious as it may sound were great because of the era they belong too.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    She's not in the clip much, but Jaclyn Smith ( :x ) should have been a Bond Girl.
    She's not in the clip much, but Jaclyn Smith ( :x ) should have been a Bond Girl.

Jaclyn was my favourite and Cheryl and Tania ;))
  • zb007zb007 UK
    He was great in a drama that was on ITV in the early 90s called framed where he played a villain
    D2NtYU9UgAAN4PD.jpg
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
  • Agent_47Agent_47 Canada
    Sadly Tim is at the bottom of my ranking. While he is a great actor, he just didn't have the swagger, the style to really have any impact for me.

He was a fairly generic British agent. Which might work for a Fleming purist, but I am a fan of the movies first. So my Bond needs to be the coolest guy in the room.
    Connery created cinematic Bond, but in my mind Lazenby and Dalton are both born from the books of Fleming. TLD and LTK are two of my favourite films in the franchise. I think the fact that he didn't get to reprise the role for Goldeneye is the biggest missed opportunity in the franchise.
    Octopussy wrote: »
    Connery created cinematic Bond, but in my mind Lazenby and Dalton are both born from the books of Fleming. TLD and LTK are two of my favourite films in the franchise. I think the fact that he didn't get to reprise the role for Goldeneye is the biggest missed opportunity in the franchise.

I'll gladly keep Brosnan (and his movies) over Dalton anyday. But I do believe that they should have cast Dalton in A View To A Kill.

Would have given that movie the adrenaline shot it sorely needs.
    Agent_47 wrote: »

I'll gladly keep Brosnan (and his movies) over Dalton anyday. But I do believe that they should have cast Dalton in A View To A Kill.

Unfortunately, Brosnan as mentioned previously was the jack of all trades, but master of none, IMO. He didn't evoke the spirit of Fleming's Bond and therefore wasn't. I wouldn't consider myself a Fleming purist, but every actor who has taken on the role has in some way, shape or form has had at least one characteristic of Fleming's Bond, IMO. Brosnan was trying to emulate the swagger of Connery with the humour of Moore and failed at both. I regard Goldeneye highly, but I've always felt it would've been a better film had Dalton returned.

I do agree that A View To A Kill would've been great with Dalton, but no doubt the movie wouldn't even be recognisable as what we got had he starred.

Unfortunately, Brosnan as mentioned previously was the jack of all trades, but master of none, IMO. He didn't evoke the spirit of Fleming's Bond and therefore wasn't. I wouldn't consider myself a Fleming purist, but every actor who has taken on the role has in some way, shape or form has had at least one characteristic of Fleming's Bond, IMO. Brosnan was trying to emulate the swagger of Connery with the humour of Moore and failed at both. I regard Goldeneye highly, but I've always felt it would've been a better film had Dalton returned.

I do agree that A View To A Kill would've been great with Dalton, but no doubt the movie wouldn't even be recognisable as what we got had he starred.

The fact that Brosnan was a jack of all trades is exactly what propels him to the top of my ranking (alongside Connery)

He brought some much needed unity to the role, something that was lacking. He's the only Bond that feels like he could have been Connery/Moore/Lazenby/Dalton earlier in his career.

His films may have a greatest hits quality about them but that is what makes them work for me. His tenure is a jack of all trades... it features everything I fell in love with in regards to the cinematic Bond.

Just my opinion.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 13,882
    Bringing unity might have been fine at the time, but now that no longer matters, his era comes off as bland.

I do like TND, but I would give it up in a heartbeat for two more Dalton films, then passing Bond to the next actor (preferably one capable of stamping their mark on the series).
    Bringing unity might have been fine at the time, but now that no longer matters, his era comes off as bland.

I do like TND, but I would give it up in a heartbeat for two more Dalton films, then passing Bond to the next actor (preferably one capable of stamping their mark on the series).

To each their own. No hard feelings.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    I see them a bit differently.
    Sean- Roger - Pierce were more Cinematic Bond
    brp522yfvxnheya9od9i

George- Timothy- Daniel are bond's from the book. Much harder, gritty and realistic.
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcS6wsXntCg0r1JSlH1ftBMLpV5vundqPGrzWg7ItHbXnLRdIc95
    brp522yfvxnheya9od9i

George- Timothy- Daniel are bond's from the book. Much harder, gritty and realistic.

I could very much agree with that.

Although I would seperate Dr.No/FRWL Connery (them being a bit more Fleming) from his GF thru DAF version of Bond.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    brp522yfvxnheya9od9i

I could very much agree with that.

Although I would seperate Dr.No/FRWL Connery (them being a bit more Fleming) from his GF thru DAF version of Bond.

Agreed, to add further Sean- Roger - Pierce films were less personal and emotional as well.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited January 2020 Posts: 6,758

Wholeheartedly agree with that statement. Back when I was at university I once wrote an essay where I argued that while Dalton and Lazenby may not have been the favourites of general audiences, they can be considered as the most loyal incarnations of Fleming's literary character.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl

It will surprise nobody to learn that they're my three favourites.