The November Man (2014) - Pierce Brosnan's return to the spy genre

edited September 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 3,333
Former James Bond Pierce Brosnan will return to the spy genre with November Man, a newly-announced thriller that is going to pair the fan-fave Irishman with rising star Dominic Cooper (The Devil’s Double, Captain America).

November Man is the first film to be released under a deal between Brosnan’s Irish DreamTime and The Solution Entertainment Group. DreamTime co-head and Brosnan’s frequent collaborator, Beau St. Clair, will produce the project, along with Das Films’ Sriram Das (who helped develop the script) and Dino Conte as executive producer.

Michael Finch (co-writer of Predators) and Karl Gajdusek (Trespass) worked together on the script for November Man, which is based primarily on the book “There Are No Spies” by the late Bill Granger. The film adaptation is going to be directed by Roger Donaldson, and is described as follows (in the official press release):

NOVEMBER MAN tells the tale of an ex-CIA operative who is brought back in on a very personal mission and finds himself pitted against his former pupil in a deadly game involving high level CIA officials and the Russian president-elect.

For those who aren’t familiar: Donaldson’s more noteworthy directing efforts over the past thirty years include The Bounty, No Way Out, Cocktail, Species, Dante’s Peak (with Brosnan), Thirteen Days, The Recruit, The World’s Fastest Indian, The Bank Job – and, most recently, the Nicolas Cage thriller Seeking Justice.

Granger’s work on the November Man series has often been compared to that of John le Carré’s spy literature – and, sure enough, there are a handful of obvious similarities between the November Man movie and last year’s Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (which was based on le Carré’s novel). The former isn’t the high-pedigree production that the latter is, but November Man could turn out as a reasonably entertaining espionage flick in Donaldson’s (usually) capable hands. DreamTime and Solution clearly hope that’ll prove to be the case, as they want November Man to kick-off a new franchise.

Production on November Man is scheduled to get underway this October, not too long after Cooper wraps up his work on the thriller Dead Man Down. We will keep you up-to-date on any additional noteworthy developments in the meantime.

http://screenrant.com/pierce-brosnan-dominic-cooper-november-man-sandy-171823/

This should keep the Brozzie fans happy!!

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Great news for his 59th birthday !! <:-P
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yay! It does sound promising; I look forward to it. And yes, I hope it's really good for Pierce. Nothing wrong with him doing spy and thriller films. I thoroughly enjoyed Thomas Crown Affair; that was well done. I did not see most of the director's films, but I did love The Bank Job.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The Bank Job was great, so was Thirteen Days. I want to see Seeking Justice too. :)
  • I hope Pierce does well with this one, and will definitely check it out.
    Happy Birthday Pierce :)
    So in exactly one year from now, Craig will become the only Bond actor below the age of 60..... :D
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Was so excited to have heard about this. He's also doing The Coup, with Owen Wilson, which is an action thriller.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Brosnan is 59? Wow, time flies. Christ I remember when GE was announced. He looks great for his age too. I'll definetly watch this film, and happy birthday Pierce.
    Good luck to Brozza. I just hope they play to his strengths.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    It sounds interesting. I've come to enjoy Brosnan more outside Bond (provided he doesn't sing) than as Bond and this sounds interesting so I'll probably be watching it.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Yay! It does sound promising; I look forward to it. And yes, I hope it's really good for Pierce. Nothing wrong with him doing spy and thriller films. I thoroughly enjoyed Thomas Crown Affair; that was well done. I did not see most of the director's films, but I did love The Bank Job.

Say, about that, has there been any information about that rumored sequel to the Brosnan Thomas Crown Affair?

Say, about that, has there been any information about that rumored sequel to the Brosnan Thomas Crown Affair?

It ain't gonna happen, Agent. The movie you're refering to was going to be called The Topkapi Affair directed by Paul Verhoeven, itself a loose remake of a 1960′s caper film Topkapi that starred Peter Ustinov. Brosnan said this about the filming back in Jan 2009....

”We are full steam ahead. If we do not have it by this year, then we shall just say we gave a best effort. But Mary Parent is a magnificent supporter of the piece. Mr. Paul Verhoeven is still with us as a director and we have great executives over there at MGM now, who are passionate to make this film. So, we have a fabulous writer.”

Alas, poor Pierce, it was never to be.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    bondsum wrote:

It ain't gonna happen, Agent. The movie you're refering to was going to be called The Topkapi Affair directed by Paul Verhoeven, itself a loose remake of a 1960′s caper film Topkapi that starred Peter Ustinov. Brosnan said this about the filming back in Jan 2009....

”We are full steam ahead. If we do not have it by this year, then we shall just say we gave a best effort. But Mary Parent is a magnificent supporter of the piece. Mr. Paul Verhoeven is still with us as a director and we have great executives over there at MGM now, who are passionate to make this film. So, we have a fabulous writer.”

Alas, poor Pierce, it was never to be.

I'm actually kind of glad they didn't do it! After the perfection that was The Thomas Crown Affair I'm not sure that would work (and with Paul Verhoeven nonetheless).
    Hopefully he'll make a decent film again. Not done so since The Matador!
    LeChiffre wrote:
    Hopefully he'll make a decent film again. Not done so since The Matador!

The Ghost Writer ???
    @LeChiffre, you didn't care for Seraphim Falls or Married Life? Shame.
    I did quite like The Greatest with Susan Sarandon.
    If you only watch the scenes in 'Remember Me' that feature Brosnan, you'd think you're watching a masterpiece !!
    I thought his Italian American accent in that sounded too "put on".
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2012 Posts: 4,416
    Years a go there be the first news that Brosnan going to be in The November Man but it whas canceld.

Example http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00002460.html

If there be 2 movies we wait so long then it be Thomas Crown Afair 2 and this November Man movie.

But if happend, good to see that Brosnan stil get his Roger Donaldson movie whyle of course i hope it it have been a Bond movie.

Both Cooper and Brosnan have the experience to work with Lee Tamahori before with sad results, so it is funny the 2 actors meet together now.
    Sandy wrote:
    It sounds interesting. I've come to enjoy Brosnan more outside Bond (provided he doesn't sing) than as Bond and this sounds interesting so I'll probably be watching it.

Absolutely. Despite the fact that I generally despise his Bond films, he is the one actor, aside from Sean, whose post-Bond films I would actually choose to watch. I thinks he's made some interesting choices and as he's aged he has become a more compelling screen presence.
    this is exciting new well done Pierce :)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Delighted. His project choices are very interesting in the past couple of years. I hope he gets one big hit at least. Then he can have a thriving career in the same type of way Sean did after he won his Oscar. He's getting better with age, our Pierce.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Delighted. His project choices are very interesting in the past couple of years. I hope he gets one big hit at least. Then he can have a thriving career in the same type of way Sean did after he won his Oscar. He's getting better with age, our Pierce.

Hear, hear! I so agree.

Good luck to him i say!
    Getafix wrote:
    Sandy wrote:

Absolutely. Despite the fact that I generally despise his Bond films, he is the one actor, aside from Sean, whose post-Bond films I would actually choose to watch. I thinks he's made some interesting choices and as he's aged he has become a more compelling screen presence.

I liked Hot Fuzz and some of Lasenby's martial arts films don't look bad. But Brosnan and Connery seem to have the best post Bond career. He's definetly become a better actor.
    I was worried about Brosnan in the past couple years because he seemed to be going towards more comedic/romantic roles, and I was hoping he would get a few action thrillers/dramas in before he got too old. Even then, look at Connery, who was in TLOEG, and he was pretty old.
    Getafix wrote:
    Sandy wrote:

I liked Hot Fuzz and some of Lasenby's martial arts films don't look bad. But Brosnan and Connery seem to have the best post Bond career. He's definetly become a better actor.

I would never have predicted it, but Pierce is the only actor to rival Sean in terms of post-Bond career success. He is not bad these days and I look forward to his new projects with interest.
    Sounds good, About time Brosnan got his teeth stuck into something spyish! He just gets better with age in my opinion.