NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2019 Posts: 14,861
    Minion wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned, the only two memorable tracks produced under the MCU are the Avengers theme and "Driving with the Top Down" from the original Iron Man.

I'm quite keen on the theme from Iron Man 3: I think that's the only decent one. Shame it didn't come a couple of films earlier as it could've grown into something quite iconic. I guess Guardians has a recognisable theme, but it's just sort of okay and feels quite similar to the rest of them. The Avengers one is good and recognisable but it rarely feels like much more than a motif rather than a full theme.

Actually the end credits from Dr Strange is good fun. Giacchino doing some hummable if insubstantial stuff.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited December 2019 Posts: 1,165
    mtm wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned, the only two memorable tracks produced under the MCU are the Avengers theme and "Driving with the Top Down" from the original Iron Man.

I'm quite keen on the theme from Iron Man 3: I think that's the only decent one. I guess Guardians has a recognisable theme, but it's just sort of okay and feels quite similar to the rest of them.

You know, I almost included the GotG theme with those two, until I realized I hadn't the foggiest idea what it sounded like. All I could come up with was the Abrams Star Trek theme, which obviously isn't right.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria

Yeah, true....Ironman(2008) is amongst Marvel best scores. Maybe even the best. And indeed 'Driving with the top Down' is a nice piece from Ramin Djawadi. I like the whole score. 'Fireman' & 'Gulmira' are also Beautiful tracks from the Score. John Debney & Brian Tyler did a good job for it's latter installments. But not as good as Djawadi. Although I like Tyler's 'Can you Dig it' from Ironmam 3....even sounds Bondian in some of it's parts.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited December 2019 Posts: 8,009

Djawadi's score for Iron Man is underrated. It's embarassing that the character has three main motifs, though. Tyler's score is probably the strongest overall.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I'm quite keen on the theme from Iron Man 3: I think that's the only decent one. I guess Guardians has a recognisable theme, but it's just sort of okay and feels quite similar to the rest of them.

You know, I almost included the GotG theme with those two, until I realized I hadn't the foggiest idea what it sounded like. All I could come up with was the Abrams Star Trek theme, which obviously isn't right.

Yeah I can't bring it to mind at all, but it was on telly the other night and I recognised the theme when when I heard it then, so I thought it must be vaguely memorable! :D
    Again it's barely more than a motif though.

Here you go:

I think if someone played me that and told me it was the Avengers theme, I'd probably think they were right! :D
    Riiiiiiiight. As you said, @mtm, I'm not sure I'd know the difference on the spot if you blind quizzed me on the street. Maybe I wouldn't confuse it with the Avengers as that is somewhat iconic, but if you told me it was Ant Man's theme, I'd probably go with it.
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,247
    I think whoever is scoring NTTD, must have started already. It's now just 3months left before the film's release.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @GadgetMan
    Can you please avoid double posting. Thank you.

Sure...not intentional by any means. Probably network. I'll do my best with subsequent messages. Thanks for the Notification.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I think whoever is scoring NTTD, must have started already. It's now just 3months left before the film's release.

I bet he's working on it for a couple weeks now. That Romer rumor surfaced what, a month ago? And who knows how long he had been off the film by that time.

If it has to be a RCP associated guy, personally i would pick James Newton Howard in a heartbeat. He's the most prominent and accomplished of the bunch, next to Zimmer, and he still mostly does old school scoring with actual melodies instead of ambient noise. Also some of his past work is sublime, like Blood Diamonds or Defiance (starring Danny Boy) imho. I would love to see what he would do with the Bond sound, and give his own spin on it.
    00Agent wrote: »

I bet he's working on it for a couple weeks now. That Romer rumor surfaced what, a month ago? And who knows how long he had been off the film by that time.

If it has to be a RCP associated guy, personally i would pick James Newton Howard in a heartbeat. He's the most prominent and accomplished of the bunch, next to Zimmer, and he still mostly does old school scoring with actual melodies instead of ambient noise. Also some of his past work is sublime, like Blood Diamonds or Defiance (starring Danny Boy) imho. I would love to see what he would do with the Bond sound, and give his own spin on it.

Yes....I like Blood Diamond. Good score from A-Z. Howard is a good Composer. I even like his early scores like Waterworld. I also like Peter pan & Green lantern. But I don't know...part of me thinks his Bond Score might sound like Newman's. Not sure, but I just have that feeling it might.

Yes....I like Blood Diamond. Good score from A-Z. Howard is a good Composer. I even like his early scores like Waterworld. I also like Peter pan & Green lantern. But I don't know...part of me thinks his Bond Score might sound like Newman's. Not sure, but I just have that feeling it might.

Not that I would mind that (Skyfall is in my top 3) but i don't think they are similar. Newton is much more versed in action and his scores have a lot more Omph to them than Newmans. But he has a strong melodic sense too.

Not that I would mind that (Skyfall is in my top 3) but i don't think they are similar. Newton is much more versed in action and his scores have a lot more Omph to them than Newmans. But he has a strong melodic sense too.

Yeah, true....Howard does have a taste for good melodies in his scores. But I think Zimmer & his RCP team look more likely to do it.
    Are we still discussing rumours that Romer is off the project?
    Yes.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    It would be funny if all these rumors were bunk and Romer was still the composer with a score already finished.
    Zimmer didn't blatantly rip off Vangelis but given what little time he had to come up with a decent score, I'd say he did very well. I seriously don't think we would have loved it if he had just re-done Vangelis either. I mean, when Ottman bled a lot of Williams' Superman score in his Superman Returns score, some people got all worked up over that; it wasn't original or new enough.
    I have no big problems with the BR 2049 score, as long as I have the remote at hand to control the volume. But I find it plain untrue that it has more than an inkling of similarity with Vangelis. This has nothing to do with it being good or bad. I judt don't think it leads to clarity when people start to put such strange descriptions.
    In the same veign, I have no problems with people enjoying the music of Hans Zimmer or any RCP composer. Everybody is entitled to their own preferences. But we shouldn't claim they do the same thing as "classical" film composers. Again, nothing to do with good or bad. But there is a clear difference in musical content between "classical" film composers, and RCP, not so much because they work differently, but because the use of melody, chords, chord progressions and arrangements is simply something different. Everyone can go and analyse it theoretically, it's undeniable. Like it's undeniable that Arnold, as well as he can emulate Barry sounds, uses them in a different manner than Barry. Again, I'm not talking about good or bad, I'm talking about making realistic assessments and not distorting the truth.

• TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    It would be funny if all these rumors were bunk and Romer was still the composer with a score already finished.

That‘s the thing with rumors ;)
    boldfinger wrote: »
    When Zimmer composed The Lone Ranger we heard Ennio morricone's style & Gioachino Rossini's William Tell's Overture from the Old lone ranger TV series in it. Now, if He composes Bond we can at least expect him to follow Barry's style....even if Zimmer maintains his own style. coz as we heard from Blade Runner 2049, he still retained Vangelis' style.
    WHAT?? There is as much Vangelis in BR 2049 as there is Barry in LTK.

Yeah, of course...that's my point. Zimmer paid Homage to Vangelis in Blade Runner 2049....but Michael Kamen's score in LTK sounding like Barry?....Ummmm, I don't know...am not too sure it does. I believe fans really missed Barry in LTK. After Barry delivered one of the best Bond scores in TLD.

Yes I think you're right- Barry was missed after the lovely TLD score, but in retrospect I quite like the LTK score. It's kind of maximum Kamen and his scores are a lot of fun, and there are some really nice bits to it and gives the film a kind of dangerous-feeling edge. The suite with all of the best bits from the film is an enjoyable listen.

Outside of Barry and Arnold, the only scores I like are LALD and LTK - mainly because I like both movies (LTK in particular), and I feel their soundtracks don't ruin the film.

My only criticism of Kamen's LTK score is it sounding very much like Die Hard or Lethal Weapon in places, making it feel less Bondian, and more generic 80's action flick.
    Yes.

Surely they'd have announced a new composer by now if there was any truth in this
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Zimmer didn't blatantly rip off Vangelis but given what little time he had to come up with a decent score, I'd say he did very well. I seriously don't think we would have loved it if he had just re-done Vangelis either. I mean, when Ottman bled a lot of Williams' Superman score in his Superman Returns score, some people got all worked up over that; it wasn't original or new enough.
    I have no big problems with the BR 2049 score, as long as I have the remote at hand to control the volume. But I find it plain untrue that it has more than an inkling of similarity with Vangelis. This has nothing to do with it being good or bad. I judt don't think it leads to clarity when people start to put such strange descriptions.
    In the same veign, I have no problems with people enjoying the music of Hans Zimmer or any RCP composer. Everybody is entitled to their own preferences. But we shouldn't claim they do the same thing as "classical" film composers. Again, nothing to do with good or bad. But there is a clear difference in musical content between "classical" film composers, and RCP, not so much because they work differently, but because the use of melody, chords, chord progressions and arrangements is simply something different. Everyone can go and analyse it theoretically, it's undeniable. Like it's undeniable that Arnold, as well as he can emulate Barry sounds, uses them in a different manner than Barry. Again, I'm not talking about good or bad, I'm talking about making realistic assessments and not distorting the truth.

Ignoring the antagonistic stuff, I guess it depends how you define ‘classical film composers’ and which scores you’re talking about. I’d say Zimmer is well known for his tonal, Nolan-ish stuff, but equally he has created plenty of very straightforward traditional scores over the years. I still really enjoy his Sherlock Holmes score for example, and I don’t find that shockingly modern.
    It’d be quite fun if the Driving Miss Daisy score had been full of atonal deafening drone noises, but I’m pretty sure that’s not how he approached it.
    :)
    If Hans Zimmer is indeed scoring NTTD, he's no fool. He knows it's JAMES BOND...so it definitely won't sound exactly like his previous scores. Look how he composed 'The Pacific Main Theme'...the listener might think it's John William's work. Zimmer was paying homage to William's style from 'Saving Private Ryan' & Michael Kamen's Score for 'Band of Brothers'....all of which were created or produced by Tom Hanks & Steven Spielberg. If he was that erratic, it would have sounded like what he's done before.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I never loved the SF score much, I liked it but that changed Sunday night in Manchester.

Hats off to Newman, this is one cracking score and those thinking the Bond theme isn't in the score much should probably watch the film again.

No it is not the blatant reading that appears in the Aston unveiling scene with Bond and M in London but TN is weaving the theme throughout.

I think we know why SPECTRE sounded lazy and it wasn't down to Newman that was Mendes and Lee Smith taking the SF score as a temp track and then deciding it sounded fine for the released film.

While I really don't want Mendes near Bond again after SP, I think Newman with another director would not be a bad thing as long as no one butchers his score and uses already existing music.

While I was willing to see what Romer would deliver I'm not surprised this has happened, I don't think we need an experimental score here we need something more traditional although not a Barry tribute act.

If whoever from RCP takes on the baton, if they go down a similar route to Newman but dial up the Bondian sound I'll be quite happy.

I never expected to come away from the Skyfall in concert feeling the way I did about the score but I feel quite silly now for bad mouthing Newman in past threads because his work in SF is superb.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I never loved the SF score much, I liked it but that changed Sunday night in Manchester.

Hats off to Newman, this is one cracking score and those thinking the Bond theme isn't in the score much should probably watch the film again.

No it is not the blatant reading that appears in the Aston unveiling scene with Bond and M in London but TN is weaving the theme throughout.

I think we know why SPECTRE sounded lazy and it wasn't down to Newman that was Mendes and Lee Smith taking the SF score as a temp track and then deciding it sounded fine for the released film.

While I really don't want Mendes near Bond again after SP, I think Newman with another director would not be a bad thing as long as no one butchers his score and uses already existing music.

While I was willing to see what Romer would deliver I'm not surprised this has happened, I don't think we need an experimental score here we need something more traditional although not a Barry tribute act.

If whoever from RCP takes on the baton, if they go down a similar route to Newman but dial up the Bondian sound I'll be quite happy.

I never expected to come away from the Skyfall in concert feeling the way I did about the score but I feel quite silly now for bad mouthing Newman in past threads because his work in SF is superb.
    Good,
    11b516d6-7043-41b5-9497-fdef81e47eff_text_hi.gif
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    If Hans Zimmer is indeed scoring NTTD, he's no fool. He knows it's JAMES BOND...so it definitely won't sound exactly like his previous scores. Look how he composed 'The Pacific Main Theme'...the listener might think it's John William's work. Zimmer was paying homage to William's style from 'Saving Private Ryan' & Michael Kamen's Score for 'Band of Brothers'....all of which were created or produced by Tom Hanks & Steven Spielberg. If he was that erratic, it would have sounded like what he's done before.

Yeah he’s capable of working in any style. He probably could do a Barry-ish score, but I wouldn’t want him to as I’d be excited to see him come up with a fresh approach of his own. It’s all totally what-if at the moment though as we don’t know he’s going anywhere near it, and if he did it seems unlikely he’d be able to do the whole score. But who knows?
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,247

Yeah he’s capable of working in any style. He probably could do a Barry-ish score, but I wouldn’t want him to as I’d be excited to see him come up with a fresh approach of his own. It’s all totally what-if at the moment though as we don’t know he’s going anywhere near it, and if he did it seems unlikely he’d be able to do the whole score. But who knows?

Yeah, sure....I would also like a fresh approach, but with the composer doffing his hat to what has come before. I don't think a composer can score a western, without sounding a bit like Ennio Morricone.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Not sure how quick they are on updates but IMDb still have Romer credited as the composer.
    What's going on? Has it been confirmed Romer has left the production?
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Getafix wrote: »

Just a lot of unsubstantiated rumours...
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    edited December 2019 Posts: 524

True, but rumours have been coming from multiple sources this time. A message board on Hans Zimmer's site, James Bond Radio reaffirmed what they heard from their source a while back and MI6-HQ simply stated "He's out" in their article. A news article on a new score by Romer didn't mention Bond when listing his previous projects.

We won't know for sure until we see a poster with credits or a press release. But I'd say that if multiple sources say there's something going on, chances are growing every day Romer isn't involved anymore.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

True, but rumours have been coming from multiple sources this time. A message board on Hans Zimmer's site, James Bond Radio reaffirmed what they heard from their source a while back and MI6-HQ simply stated "He's out" in their article. A news article on a new score by Romer didn't mention Bond when listing his previous projects.

We won't know for sure until we see a poster with credits or a press release. But I'd say that if multiple sources say there's something going on, chances are growing every day Romer isn't involved anymore.

At this stage, it seems likely. Unless everything we've been fed so far is BS. Nothing on Wallfisch, Balfe or any other composer's media so far. Could be a while before anything is publicly confirmed.