No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• duke_togoduke_togo france
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    That last paragraph is truly a feast for my eyes. Long live Broccoli. Long live the queen.

Absolutely-- just goes to show, once again, that she-- and her team-- are the best gatekeepers to this franchise (spin-offs would be the norm if one of these huge studios took over. And that would water-down James Bond).

+1

Thank you for sharing the Empire article @00Dalton7

The few things I took from this, Craig saying he "I did most of the movie with a broken leg" when talking about Spectre. Which is crazy, credit to him
    It's interesting that Fukunaga brings up Madeline Swann's mother in the interview. Wonder if that's a part of the story at all?

Not sure what to make of this quote from the article,
    "Globe spanning plot that will see him, along the way, constantly flanked and outfoxed by a group of strong, powerful women."
    Seems a bit odd to mention Bond being constantly flanked and outfoxed by these ladies. Not sure what to make of it, perhaps it's just good PR by the producers to mention these amazing, beautiful actress's in the film.
    I just hope it doesn't turn into a Scooby gang, sort of thing that dogged Spectre. As I don't believe there is nothing more exciting that Bond alone using him wits to go up against the enemy.

I do love what Fukunaga said about the action,
    "Hopefully the action is exciting, but it was important that it felt threatening. Rather than thinking about the action before the story, how could the story drive the action"

This quote has got me massively excited for the action in this film. I feel like Fukunaga really understands that the action has to get your blood pumping but still make you marvel at the technical aspect of it, without taking you out of the film.

I really do get the feeling Fukunaga is the right man for the job and he really understands what makes a Bond film magic. I can't wait for this film, since the trailer was released the hype train has really done it's job and got me excited for the film.

The action seems to be very character driven in this movie as we can see in the trailer, where Bond and Swann are arguing DURING the DB5 car chase if all the action scenes are intense emotionally and physically like this it could be really cool.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    We haven't even seen it yet but already I want Fukunaga signed up for the next one. He says all the right things when it comes to the production. He seems to have a genuine love and respect for the series.
    Loving those new stills from NTTD! Get great vibes from them.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2019 Posts: 12,459
    I was just thinking that now is a good time for some people to return to the forum. We always get moaners, groaners, doomsdayers when a new Bond film begins production. It runs something along these lines ...,

Every glitch becomes a horror show, every cast member brings baggage and doubt, every delay means the production team is screwing up, EON made bad decisions, the director is a hack/genius in his own mind only/ going in the wrong direction, and where is the damn trailer?????????????? OMG they are screwing up the marketing, too. Nothing is going well! Is Daniel in shape? He is INJURED?! Are you kidding me? This film will come out in 2022. :( Arghh! Is his hair too short? Are the suits too tight? This cinematographer going to use a yellow or brown filter on everything? Too many writers again! That means the script is doomed. We will get every cliche and nod to former films shoved down our throats. They are remaking OHMSS! They are remaking Dr. No!
    They are remaking LALD and LTK and QOS, all rolled into one! This film is destined to be crap, with no decent on set photos or videos. EON does not know how to communicate, etc etc ETC. for months on end, I swear.

But now ... Hell yeah, it's going to be a fine Bond film, with a fantastic new Bond director, an interesting script, stunningly filmed, and EON sure is pulling this off like a diamond. Like they are experienced with Bond films or something. ;)

I'm enjoying everything I'm seeing. Happy I skipped a lot of the angst and speculation for the last 6 months.
    That's true, @4EverBonded, as soon as the trailer comes out and the film look to be as good as this one does, all the naysayers mysteriously pull their disappearing acts. It happens every single time. It's like they don't have anything good to say, and so they don't. Not because there isn't anything good to say, but because they're not here to enjoy things, they're here to badmouth and light fires.

This film is going to be epic, I tell ya. "Some people" will not return and say they were wrong. "Some people" just want the world to burn ;) And it won't. Not in that sense anyway.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,548
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I might be thinking too far ahead. But am thinking Fukunaga shouldn't make an immediate return to Bond....to avoid repeating himself. Campbell did that cleverly by refusing to Direct TND. But came back much later for CR. Mendes couldn't really put his best foot forward with SP, coz of his immediate return. And I also think Campbell should direct the New Bond in Bond 26...since he's so good at launching new Bonds.

Campbell is too old and is a has-been. Not gonna happen.
    TripAces wrote: »
    I might be thinking too far ahead. But am thinking Fukunaga shouldn't make an immediate return to Bond....to avoid repeating himself. Campbell did that cleverly by refusing to Direct TND. But came back much later for CR. Mendes couldn't really put his best foot forward with SP, coz of his immediate return. And I also think Campbell should direct the New Bond in Bond 26...since he's so good at launching new Bonds.

Agreed. Suppose this is not the place to discuss Bond26, but I'd very much like someone like Villeneuve to do the next one. But I'll leave that decision on the very capable hands of the EON family.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Too old? Perhaps, but no need to call him a has-been. The man directed two of the finest Bond films; that's earned him more respect.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Too old? Perhaps, but no need to call him a has-been. The man directed two of the finest Bond films; that's earned him more respect.

I agreed that it was probably not gonna happen. Really didn't want to call him a has-been, or even too old. I'm from a country where the oldest most known director lived to be 106, and he directed till the end.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Univex wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »

I agreed that it was probably not gonna happen. Really didn't want to call him a has-been, or even too old. I'm from a country where the oldest most known director lived to be 106, and he directed till the end.

To be honest, I think he's got another one in him. Campbell is an extremely energetic and fit 76 year old. I know it's doubtful, but Never say Never. ;)

• I just still don't care about Madeleine's family or past at all to be intrigued by these developments.

I will say that the movie still looks like a classic Bond romp despite that element, and definitely looks more fun and colorful than Spectre, so I'll continue to be excited over the new characters and the action.

I am not rooting for Campbell to return, but too old?
    He is 77. Scorsese is 78, Ridley Scott who has several projects coming is 83 and Clint Eastwood who has a new movie coming out next month is 89.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Zekidk wrote: »

I am not rooting for Campbell to return, but too old?
    He is 77. Scorsese is 78, Ridley Scott who has several projects coming is 83 and Clint Eastwood who has a new movie coming out next month is 89.

The only reason why Campbell might not come back if asked is because he wouldn't want to. He's two for two with Bond, and I'm sure Eon will remember that.

Not because of his age or someone thinking he's a "has been".
    Some of the big talking points fromt he Empire article:
    • It was Broccoli who came up with NTTD as the title. She thinks she may have remembered it from her father's film, though it wasn't a specific reference.
    • Bond attends Blofeld's birthday party in Cuba. Here, Blofeld makes an announcement 'Welcome to the spectacular end to our pariah. Goodbye, James.
    • Daniel Craig was dissatisfied with Spectre and had a specific idea in mind for his return.
    • Cary Fukunaga campaigned for the job of director.
    • Safin and Madeleine have some connection from their pasts.
    • Safin is trying to be the king of the underworld.
    • Women will be important in the film. More than mere window-dressing.
    • Bond and Madeleine's relationship is central to the film.
    • Nomi will start the film as 007
    • The journalist says that Bond will not return to MI6 at the end. The big ideas are that Bond will either get married or die.
    • Daniel Craig thinks the series should reboot after he leaves.

Everything in this article and the whole tone makes me think that Bond is a goner in this film. If executed well, then I'm into it.

Hmm, many things to be worried from this especially Bond not returning to MI6....that's how SP ended and I was forced...probably it won't be forced this time but having that happen back-to-back...
    I guess not having lots of expectations for NTTD would be the best for me
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    dragonsky wrote: »
    • It was Broccoli who came up with NTTD as the title. She thinks she may have remembered it from her father's film, though it wasn't a specific reference.
    • Bond attends Blofeld's birthday party in Cuba. Here, Blofeld makes an announcement 'Welcome to the spectacular end to our pariah. Goodbye, James.
    • Daniel Craig was dissatisfied with Spectre and had a specific idea in mind for his return.
    • The journalist says that Bond will not return to MI6 at the end. The big ideas are that Bond will either get married or die.

Everything in this article and the whole tone makes me think that Bond is a goner in this film. If executed well, then I'm into it.

Hmm, many things to be worried from this especially Bond not returning to MI6....that's how SP ended and I was forced...probably it won't be forced this time but having that happen back-to-back...

Same
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond

Please note, some points in that post don’t accurately reflect the tone of the actual statements made in the magazine. Best to read it yourself.
    Minion wrote: »

Please note, some points in that post don’t accurately reflect the tone of the actual statements made in the magazine. Best to read it yourself.

@Minion what specifically?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2019 Posts: 14,861

He’d likely be 80 years old by the time they make the next one! :)
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Thrasos wrote: »
    Yes 00Dalton7, thank you for posting all those pages. However I take issue with what Broccoli said in that piece about aiming for Bond's heartstrings in order to really hurt him: "We always like to have a very personal trial for him (Bond) emotionally..." Oh really? I can think of several pre-Craig Bond films that aren't taxing for Bond emotionally. Why does there have to be a focus on Bond's emotions? Is Broccoli trying to get more women to watch Bond films, or to feminize him? Yes he's human, but it's the job that's the focus for Bond, and this particular job requires taking emotion out of the equation! Broccoli can do what she likes, but I think this is something of a betrayal for the character; it's down to the story and writing. And haven't we had enough of the Bond soap opera elements with Craig--I know I have.

I find the more emotional and dramatic it is, the more involved I get, which means the action is more exciting because I actually care what’s happening. For years Bond fans have been saying OHMSS is the best Bond film and I don’t think it’s any coincidence that it’s the one where he actually has an emotional journey. Do Bond fans hate the bit in FYEO where he visits Tracy’s grave? I don’t think so.

@mtm I think why people like it is it's a normal Bond film with emotion not just emotion.

So are the Craig films. In Spectre did he just sit around talking about his feelings or did he crash a plane into a bunch of Land Rovers? Did he spend the whole thing talking to a psychotherapist or did he kick a bad guy out of a helicopter?
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited December 2019 Posts: 3,497

Same

The journalist says it, but will it happen?

Does DC really want a reboot or does the magazine says he wants? or is it a joke from Daniel?

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,247
    Yeah, true....but I think even at 80 if Campbell campaigns for Bond 26....It might be difficult for EON to turn him down, coz of the fine jobs he's done in the past. He's obviously not as athletic as fukunaga, but I guess it's all about instructions. Coz fukunaga himself wasn't entirely present in the matera shoot but it doesn't mean he wasn't aware of what they were shooting. I know George Miller wasn't 80 when he directed Fury Road but If one looks at Fury Road, it's hard to imagine Miller was i think 70 when he directed it coz it looked like a work of a 30yr old director & there's still ongoing talks for him to make a sequel or spinoff to Fury Road & he's 74 these days. Except Campbell chooses not to do it(not that he's campaigning hard for Bond 26). The obvious choice then for Bond 26 looks like Christopher Nolan...and if Tenet is both commercially & critically successful like his previous films, then the job looks like his. Nolan is clearly a Bond fan, Coz it shows in his films.and Nolan had also said he would like to direct a Bond film only when Craig's run is over. He's always said OHMSS is his favourite Bond film & we could see that when he directed INCEPTION & we saw how he made his Batman to have a little feel of espionage thrillers & even giving him a few Gadgets. And Denis Villeneuve is a good director but It seems like he doesn't like action scenes that much. Just like Blade runner 2049 was a critical success, but didn't do well commercially. Coz he's a sort of Slow-burn director.

You didn't have any expectations for it anyway, if I'm correct.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    JamesCraig wrote: »

Same

Does DC really want a reboot or does the magazine says he wants? or is it a joke from Daniel?

Can magazines write anything they want? Daniel may have said that.
    JamesCraig wrote: »

Same

Can magazines write anything they want? Daniel may have said that.

Oh he might have said and if it ends with him quitting MI6 for good (maybe that's the meeting where he arrives with his Vantage), maybe they'll do just that. I think he meant it as a joke, but we'll see.

A side note:

The article also contains "the big ideas are". So again, based on speculation, which we have seen too much with this film.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    No Time To Die: Rami Malek On How Freddie Mercury Inspired New Villain Safin
    https://empireonline.com/movies/news/rami-malek-how-freddie-mercury-influenced-villain-safin-cary-fukunaga/

Speaking to Empire in the upcoming world exclusive No Time To Die issue, on sale from Friday 27 December, Malek revealed the lesson he took from Freddie Mercury for the role. “If I went in there and tried to make a carbon copy of someone, what joy or fun would that be for anybody? I guess that may be a lesson I learned from Mr. Mercury. If it’s not original, then why bother?” he explains. “I’ve pocketed some things from some of my favourites. But I tried to every day imbue this character with something I thought made sense for the character, but might also at the same time be shocking and unnerving.”

The role saw Malek once again team up with his Bohemian Rhapsody dialogue coach William Conacher to figure out the right villainous voice. “I wanted to create something that we couldn’t quite peg from any particular part of the world,” he teases.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    NTTD UK release date: April 2, 2020.

Days left until April 2, 2020: 100 days.

Yes 00Dalton7, thank you for posting all those pages. However I take issue with what Broccoli said in that piece about aiming for Bond's heartstrings in order to really hurt him: "We always like to have a very personal trial for him (Bond) emotionally..." Oh really? I can think of several pre-Craig Bond films that aren't taxing for Bond emotionally. Why does there have to be a focus on Bond's emotions? Is Broccoli trying to get more women to watch Bond films, or to feminize him? Yes he's human, but it's the job that's the focus for Bond, and this particular job requires taking emotion out of the equation! Broccoli can do what she likes, but I think this is something of a betrayal for the character; it's down to the story and writing. And haven't we had enough of the Bond soap opera elements with Craig--I know I have.

I find the more emotional and dramatic it is, the more involved I get, which means the action is more exciting because I actually care what’s happening. For years Bond fans have been saying OHMSS is the best Bond film and I don’t think it’s any coincidence that it’s the one where he actually has an emotional journey. Do Bond fans hate the bit in FYEO where he visits Tracy’s grave? I don’t think so.

@mtm I think why people like it is it's a normal Bond film with emotion not just emotion.

So are the Craig films. In Spectre did he just sit around talking about his feelings or did he crash a plane into a bunch of Land Rovers? Did he spend the whole thing talking to a psychotherapist or did he kick a bad guy out of a helicopter?

Why did everyone bash Spectre then? @mtm
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

For the record, SP isn't nearly as bad as its reputation. That said, two issues plague the film:

1. Foster brother angle
    2. A third act that was a complete mess

Saddest part is that there were a lot of smart, talented people on this film and they couldn't get it straightened out.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    For the record, SP isn't nearly as bad as its reputation.
    As you said, @TripAces.

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,247
    True....but I thought the foster brother thing was already indelible....but that third act was supposed to be SF's equal or even top it. The action should have been bigger and more intricate & I also felt Bond & Hinx should have had a big fight in the finale before Bond confronts Blofeld. The finale just felt too contrived.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Because the plot wasn’t great and the action left a bit to be desired in places, wasn’t it? Why did everyone love OHMSS?