Desmond LLewelyn 19 December 2019 it was 20 years ago when he died

M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
edited December 2019 in Actors Posts: 4,416
One weak a go, 19 December 2014 it whas 15 years a go that Desmond LLewelyn past a way after a car exident on 19 December 1999.

For people who have now same age (14-15) as me in 1995, but don't know who is whas. He playing Q (Quatermaster) in 17 Bond film's From Russia With Love til The World is Not Enough exclude Live and Let Die.

Comments

Remember this sad day well unfortunately! His final scene in TWINE is so ironic! RIP Desmond! ^:)^
  • ml94ml94 Finland
    RIP.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Yes RIP, the wonderful, irreplaceable Desmond.
  • Dear old Desmond. I share a home town with him and drive past the house were he grew up (now a retirement home) every day. He led an interesting life outside of acting. Spending five years in Colditz as a Prisoner of War was quite the sacrifice for his country.

Every 'Q' will always be compared to him.

Thanks for this thread @M_Balje
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    We miss him.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited January 2015 Posts: 17,728
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    We miss him.

Indeed we do - Desmond Llewelyn is a legend that transcends life itself. :)
    Curiously, the first time I saw Desmond Llewelyn was not in a Bond movie, but in a "girl and horsie" show. This one, to be precise, which aired in France on Saturdays afternoons at the beginning of the 70s. I liked it very much :

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2019 Posts: 15,686
    20 years today since he left us. Thank you for all those wonderful memories in 17 Bond films, Desmond.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    RIP to my favorite Q. You will always be remembered.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited December 2019 Posts: 17,728
    What a sad day that was. I'll never forget being down at my sister's house and hearing the awful story on the Sunday ITV late news that Desmond had been killed in a car accident earlier that day. It was just so shocking at the time.

We can at least take comfort as Bond fans that his memory will live on through his Bond films and other work and he still holds the record for the actor with the most appearances in the Bond films.
    I remember walking straight past him in Waterloo station one morning. I was completely star struck. I had to go back and see if it was him and knocked on the window of his first class carriage to wave. Bit embarrassing but there you go. You only live twice.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Such a tragic way to go, if I remember rightly he was driving himself from a promotion of his book. I was reading his autobiography at the time, very shocking. The timing of his death was particularly poignant too after we had just had the disappearing into the floor scene in TWINE.
    20 years ago, wow, crazy how the years flash by.
    I too recall that day and it dampening the holiday spirit. His death affected me more than any other cast member that had passed up to that time.

Another thing about that day he passed was it was claimed he refused to have a car or limo take him to that appearance and he wanted to drive himself.
    The true Q if there ever will be one.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    He'll forever be missed.
    The irreplaceable Q! Always remembered.