Comments

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    While we are at it, all the Renaults in James Bond's world:

Renault+taxi+stairs.jpg

i003845.jpg

snap1860.5.jpg

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Ah the Fuego... =))
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Supposedly the Renault 5 was a blast. My experience with them, however, is pretty bad. Had two Clio's in succession (Clio II)
    Like this, but then 5 doors
    103965112_934.jpg
    Pleasing to the eye and ok to drive, but hell they last not very long.

Then I got to drive the modern version. Very pleasing to the eye but hell to drive. What a useless junk of metal that is. Now when I see them I can only think 'what a heap of rust'.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The Renault Feugo, that was a car, like the Isuzu Piazza I mentioned a few pages back, I find pleasantly quirky looking.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    This lovely Saab (96?) rolled up and parked over the road from me when I was out shopping today:

ELbRBQYX0AA5s5B.jpg
    That Saab is very quirky, indeed! And strategically parked if the owner wanted to take pics for selling it.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Indeed, lovely car. The early SAAB's are fun vehicles for sure!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    zebrafish wrote: »
    The A110s (old and new) are actually quite pleasant to the eye in real life ;-)

They are. But not the AMC Renaults ;-)

lwVDCf1.png

What’s this then? Some sort of US built one? Never heard of that before.
    mtm wrote: »

lwVDCf1.png

Yeah, it was a joint venture between American Motor Corporation and Renault.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Motors_Corporation
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

lwVDCf1.png

Yeah, it was a joint venture between American Motor Corporation and Renault.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Motors_Corporation

Interesting, thanks. It actually looks a bit like a Maserati Biturbo! :)

Nice! I had two 900 Turbos which were lovely cars.
    pPz4p5C.jpg

One of the last Pontiac models before GM pulled the plug: the G6 coupé...
    The Pontiac reminds me of this European counterpart, the Peugeot 406 Coupé:

Peugeot_406_Coupe.jpg

Peugeot_406_Coupe.jpg

A bit indeed... :-?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Peugeot_406_Coupe.jpg

That was a very pretty car at the time. Looks a bit more boring now! :)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

Peugeot_406_Coupe.jpg

Tastes do change. The 406 Coupé was a typical late 90s car...but one designed by Pininfarina. A beauty in its own right, replaced by a far inferior design (the 407 with its pseudo-shark mouth).

j_w_pepper wrote: »

Peugeot_406_Coupe.jpg

Tastes do change. The 406 Coupé was a typical late 90s car...but one designed by Pininfarina. A beauty in its own right, replaced by a far inferior design (the 407 with its pseudo-shark mouth).

Yeah, the 407 coupé is one of the ugliest Peugeots ever. It also did not sell well.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2019 Posts: 14,861

Peugeot_406_Coupe.jpg

Tastes do change. The 406 Coupé was a typical late 90s car...but one designed by Pininfarina.

Yes it was very popular (and a mate of mine actually lusted after them, which I did think was a bit extreme. They were pretty but hardly DB7 beautiful! :) ) but they look a bit jelly mould and slightly dull now. It’s definitely a future classic car (if not already) purely because it does still look good though.
    I recently bought a BMW Z4 coupe (the mk1 of course) and I do think that is a design (from around the same time) which really is holding up and was ahead of its time- everyone hated the Bangle style then! :D

Peugeot_406_Coupe.jpg

Tastes do change. The 406 Coupé was a typical late 90s car...but one designed by Pininfarina.

Yes it was very popular (and a mate of mine actually lusted after them, which I did think was a bit extreme. They were pretty but hardly DB7 beautiful! :) ) but they look a bit jelly mould and slightly dull now. It’s definitely a future classic car (if not already) purely because it does still look good though.
    I recently bought a BMW Z4 coupe (the mk1 of course) and I do think that is a design (from around the same time) which really is holding up and was ahead of its time- everyone hated the Bangle style then! :D

Teh Snobbies :-?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I distinctly remember that everyone hated the Bangle style (myself included - the 6 and 7 series with their funny trunks were atrocious), but the Z4 in each of its incarnations wasn't really part of the criticism. Especially since it replaced the anemic "chick car" Z3. I must say just for the looks I liked the latest (before the current model) Z4 best but wouldn't exactly reject the earlier ones either. Shame on me, I also like the current BMW/Toyota Z4 bastard but do not expect to buy one anytime soon.

Full disclosure: We have a 2008 330d convertible (E93) and might have thought about a Z4 in 2008 instead, but preferred to have something with four seats and a six-cylinder diesel. We'll drive it until it dies. But it only has 200,000 kms on the clock so far.
    12 pages!

Thanks to all of you! :)>-
    edited December 2019 Posts: 8,657
    12 pages!

You're welcome, as far as my minor contributions are concerned...but your expectations seem to be rather low. This is still one of the threads with a rather limited number of postings - most of those on the first page of the thread list seem to have a "....K" number of contributions. In other words, at least three times as many.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I distinctly remember that everyone hated the Bangle style (myself included - the 6 and 7 series with their funny trunks were atrocious), but the Z4 in each of its incarnations wasn't really part of the criticism. Especially since it replaced the anemic "chick car" Z3. I must say just for the looks I liked the latest (before the current model) Z4 best but wouldn't exactly reject the earlier ones either. Shame on me, I also like the current BMW/Toyota Z4 bastard but do not expect to buy one anytime soon.

Full disclosure: We have a 2008 330d convertible (E93) and might have thought about a Z4 in 2008 instead, but preferred to have something with four seats and a six-cylinder diesel. We'll drive it until it dies. But it only has 200,000 kms on the clock so far.

Yeah I quite like the Supra. It’s not great looking but it’s not horrible either, and it may take me more time to warm to the current Z4! :)
    The Pontiac looks horriffic to me. As with many American cars it lacks refinement. It's just big and out of balance. The 406 was a thing of beauty. I agree she doesn't age that well though, but Istill like it. Indeed, car design has taken a wild corner after that and BMW was one of the frontrunners. I remember they had a concept car that move those bangles to create something new.

I loved the Z4. Still do. BMW's are anyway solid drivers cars.
    12 pages!

You're welcome, as far as my minor contributions are concerned...but your expectations seem to be rather low. This is still one of the threads with a rather limited number of postings - most of those on the first page of the thread list seem to have a "....K" number of contributions. In other words, at least three times as many.

History isn't kind to men who play God.

;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The Pontiac looks horriffic to me. As with many American cars it lacks refinement. It's just big and out of balance.

Agreed: it’s horrid! :)

I loved the Z4. Still do. BMW's are anyway solid drivers cars.

Yes it’s an absolute hoot: and the six cylinder 3.0L is such a lovely engine.
    12 pages!

You are welcome! I quite like sharing opinions and experiences with cars. What's your motivation?
    12 pages!

You are welcome! I quite like sharing opinions and experiences with cars. What's your motivation?

My duty.
    ;)
    ;)

vOZNoVX.jpg

DeTomaso Mangusta.