No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Anybody remembers the Valhalla? Why is it not at the Bond in Motion exhibition?
    Is is just a wedding present for the epilogue? ;)
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    danielcc wrote: »
    It is embarrassing to say the least to see what is going on in this board ever since we had rumours about Lynch and her role.
    On the one hand we have a typical stereotype beauty like AdA that doest say a word in the trailer but many praise her. On the other hand you have Lynch giving some witty dialogue in a charismatic way and she gets nothing but hate.
    Why can't she act the same way the young Bond behaved? Isnt it the obvious very idea of her role to be the aggressive and over confident young next generation while Bond while be the old dog ?

And anyway: I think it is not the action that makes a Bond movie stand out, it is the interactions of Bond with other characters that make the difference. It worked with Eve in SF and I hope it will work with Nomi in NTTD. If we get great scenes with Bond and Nomi - THATS what I watch a Bond movie for

Word.
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    It is embarrassing to say the least to see what is going on in this board ever since we had rumours about Lynch and her role.
    On the one hand we have a typical stereotype beauty like AdA that doest say a word in the trailer but many praise her. On the other hand you have Lynch giving some witty dialogue in a charismatic way and she gets nothing but hate.
    Why can't she act the same way the young Bond behaved? Isnt it the obvious very idea of her role to be the aggressive and over confident young next generation while Bond while be the old dog ?

And anyway: I think it is not the action that makes a Bond movie stand out, it is the interactions of Bond with other characters that make the difference. It worked with Eve in SF and I hope it will work with Nomi in NTTD. If we get great scenes with Bond and Nomi - THATS what I watch a Bond movie for

Great post!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited December 2019 Posts: 8,009
    peter wrote: »

Very well said @danielcc ... As I was saying to @Shardlake today, I really enjoy Lynch. She’s got a very sultry voice, and is quite sensual in personality and movements (love how she bumps into Bond at the Club, and how she fires her weapon), also; she looks as if she hit you, it’d hurt! I’m personally tired of seeing 90 lb twigs taking out 220lb men! Lynch as Nomi sells power behind her punch!

In the end though, this is a James Bond film. Lynch is a main supporting star, but the central story is about Bond and how Madeleine and Safin effect his life.

Yeah, I kind of covered this yesterday as well. Lynch is doing exactly what she's supposed to be doing in that trailer. The film will speak for itself but the trailer insinuates conflict, which leads to drama, which makes things interesting.

We all know the destination of most Bond films. But for this series especially, it's not about the destination. It's the journey that counts. It's really not that difficult to grasp.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 5,767

Where does Lynch get hatred? I feel my critisism of her is about the only negative reaction on the last ten or so pages, and even I didn´t say anything about hate, I just said I don´t dig her. I don´t hear anything witty or charismatic from her in the trailer, that´s exactly my problem, because I would love to have witty dialogue and charisma.

Very well said @danielcc ... As I was saying to @Shardlake today, I really enjoy Lynch. She’s got a very sultry voice, and is quite sensual in personality and movements (love how she bumps into Bond at the Club, and how she fires her weapon), also; she looks as if she hit you, it’d hurt! I’m personally tired of seeing 90 lb twigs taking out 220lb men! Lynch as Nomi sells power behind her punch!

In the end though, this is a James Bond film. Lynch is a main supporting star, but the central story is about Bond and how Madeleine and Safin effect his life.

Yeah, I kind of covered this yesterday as well. Lynch is doing exactly what she's supposed to be doing in that trailer. The film will speak for itself but the trailer insinuates conflict, which leads to drama, which makes things interesting.

We all know the destination of most Bond films. But for this series especially, it's not about the destination. It's the journey that counts. It's really not that difficult to grasp.
    Exactly my point, only in my book interesting characters interacting with one another is what makes things interesting, not drama. We had drama in the last film, and we know how that turned out.
    edited December 2019 Posts: 8,009
    @boldfinger, the difference is I don't think it's really fair to write her off as uninteresting based on excerpted dialogue from a trailer. It's clear what they are shooting for with Nomi, but it can't be said that it doesn't work yet.

We certainly did have drama that didn't work in SP. But we also had drama in FRWL, OHMSS, TSWLM, TLD, GE, CR, etc. and they were all great, so...
    @boldfinger, the difference is I don't think it's really fair to write her off as uninteresting based on excerpted dialogue from a trailer. It's clear what they are shooting for with Nomi, but it can't be said that it doesn't work yet.

We certainly did have drama that didn't work in SP. But we also had drama in FRWL, OHMSS, TSWLM, TLD, GE, CR, etc. and they were all great, so...
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, but I´m not saying at all that it won´t work in the film. All I´m saying is it doesn´t attract me in the trailer. I believe I said so all along. Of course I would wish for a trailer that wins me over on all levels.

I agree with you two. Also, I know a trailer is a trailer is a trailer, but judging from it it'll be a very Bond centric film.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Contraband wrote: »
    Gotta love Ana :))

Knives Out already feels like it was released months ago.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

+1
    boldfinger wrote: »

@CraigMooreOHMSS, but I´m not saying at all that it won´t work in the film. All I´m saying is it doesn´t attract me in the trailer. I believe I said so all along. Of course I would wish for a trailer that wins me over on all levels.

Fair, @boldfinger. Mea culpa. :)
    boldfinger wrote: »

Fair, @boldfinger. Mea culpa. :)
    Well, @CraigMooreOHMSS, I wouldn´t go as far as speaking of culpability, but thanks anyway :-).

• ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Some twitter-guy wrote to me:

"Did you know that the last set of numbers on Russia plates indicate where car from: 32 St. Petersburg 97 99 Moscow 72 Siberia"

Don't know if that's helpful or even relevant?
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    echo wrote: »

+1

+2

There is a faction that feel most threatened by her presence and it is most telling.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,247
    I still believe if Lynch were a Scream beauty like Armas, she might have been accepted....at least until the movie comes out. I've said it before imagine if Armas was the 00 agent or the temporal 007.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 6,665
    Shardlake wrote: »

+1

+2

There is a faction that feel most threatened by her presence and it is most telling.

+3

Where were they when Wai Lin came out leather-cladded with two sub machine guns in her hands back in 97? Or when "Yo Momma" drove a pink Thunderbird? Or when Fionna Volpe had her cannon mounted motorbike in 65?

It's all faux-perceptions, prejudice and fear mongering created to suit old agendas dressed in new shinny rags.

Feminism and women of war both exist since Athena, yes the ancient Greek goddess of war. It's not new, there is no wokeness, and to say that there is, is to undermine all of what's come before.

Bond women were, for the most part, always emancipated and strong. Nomi is just another one. Saying she's the first is derogatory of the ones who came before. So is their continuously renewed comments about "this time being different and not another Bond bimbo". As far as I'm concerned, every time an actress says that, it's a shot on her very well formed sexy foot.

There was always a need for equality, or at least for rights equality. If we have spent some centuries in some sort of social dark ages, and if some places still exist in where prejudice and gender discrimination, and social or minority bigotry still stand, that mustn't erase all of the efforts continuously made by women throughout the bigger History.

If feminism, or any social/gender/minority fight is still relevant than so be it, do carry on with it, evolve it, make it stronger, but do not say we're awake only now. Globalisation and the internet are new weapons on the ever going fight. But it's as old as humanity, not new. And nor is Nomi. She's just the newest end of a very long rope, or timeline, if you will.

I, for one, am not worried about her presence, as Lynch seems to handle herself very well. It'll be fun to watch Bond react to her.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Univex wrote: »

+1

+2

+3

Where were they when Wai Lin came out leather-cladded with two sub machine guns in her hands back in 97? Or when "Yo Momma" drove a pink Thunderbird? Or when Fionna Volpe had her cannon mounted motorbike in 65?

It's all faux-perceptions, prejudice and fear mongering created to suit old agendas dressed in new shinny rags.

Feminism and women of war both exist since Athena, yes the ancient Greek goddess of war. It's not new, there is no wokeness, and to say that there is, is to undermine all of what's come before.

Bond women were, for the most part, always emancipated and strong. Nomi is just another one. Saying she's the first is derogatory of the ones who came before. So is their continuously renewed comments about "this time being different and not another Bond bimbo". As far as I'm concerned, every time an actress says that, it's a shot on her very well formed sexy foot.

There was always a need for equality, or at least for rights equality. If we have spent some centuries in some sort of social dark ages, and if some places still exist in where prejudice and gender discrimination, and social or minority bigotry still stand, that mustn't erase all of the efforts continuously made by women throughout the bigger History.

If feminism, or any social/gender/minority fight is still relevant than so be it, do carry on with it, evolve it, make it stronger, but do not say we're awake only now. Globalisation and the internet are new weapons on the ever going fight. But it's as old as humanity, not new. And nor is Nomi. She's just the newest end of a very long rope, or timeline, if you will.

I, for one, am not worried about her presence, as Lynch seems to handle herself very well. It'll be fun to watch Bond react to her.

+4
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 17,241
    Contraband wrote: »
    Some twitter-guy wrote to me:

"Did you know that the last set of numbers on Russia plates indicate where car from: 32 St. Petersburg 97 99 Moscow 72 Siberia"

Don't know if that's helpful or even relevant?

…and 95 (Chechen Republic…?)

71151586.jpg?imageId=71151586&width=1024&height=615

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Russia
  • boldfinger wrote: »

Grace Randolph made what I think is a useful point in her trailer breakdown.

Basically she says that it's the responsibility of the production team to take care of their cast, and that in some ways they may (may) have let Daniel and Lashana down in the trailer.

EON wants the audience to like the protagnoists here. But the only dialogue they give to Nomi is her antagonizing Bond (to the point of being menacing). If one of her lines ("stay in your lane" or "I'll shoot your knee") had been put in, that might work. But two feels rather on the nose and risks turning her into an unsympathetic character before opening day.

Further, this risks doing a disservice Bond, too - her jokes hinge on the idea that he is decrepit, forgotten, old . . . again, are we meant to like James? To cheer for him? Because we need to be excited about this character and invested in him, unless they plan to go full-pelt Old Man Logan.

I'm about halfway convinced on this perspective, but it is interesting. I'll certainly be curious to see if they nuance things in a second trailer and, of course, to see how things shake down in the film itself.
    Oh, please. Grace is just being Grace. Neurotic as hell. I like her sometimes, but for most of the times I can't stand her. She also says the best shot in the entire trailer was Nomi retreating into the darkness. Please, the best shot in the entire piece? These youtubers and influencers are for the most part geekish heavily opinionated people who like to impose their views (problem is, most are not fans, or knowledgeable of, say, Bond)

The trailer was awesome, it ticked all the right boxes. Nitpicking is just that, nitpicking. The production team as to take care of their cast? Please. Even Lynch would laugh at that.

As for Grace, her Logan obsession, or her Jackman obsession creeps up from time to time as well, as if she's comparing every other hero to her precious crush.

That being said, @octofinger, this rant of mine is obviously directed at Grace, not at you who have so aptly presented a valid point.

Just don't be halfway convinced on her perspectives, that's what these influencers do. They contaminate and distort. Hence the name: influencer.

Just feel what you feel and trust your instincts, which, btw, I know to be good.

BTW, whenever I put Randolph on here at home, the wife says "Who's strangling the cat?" :-D
    "That blonde chic who thinks she knows best", I usually say. My wife just rolls her eyes, and immediately I know her to be right. I then escape the temptation to watch her squealing about how baby yoda is as cute as Hugh Jackman. The only film youtuber I generally like is Chris Stuckman, and even then he can be annoying sometimes.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Walecs wrote: »

+1

+2

+3

+4

+5
    @007Blofeld sent me a link to that trailer reaction by Randolph. Why is she so…loud? Couldn't even sit through more than a minute of that video.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 5,767
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I still believe if Lynch were a Scream beauty like Armas, she might have been accepted....at least until the movie comes out. I've said it before imagine if Armas was the 00 agent or the temporal 007.
    It would for sure be easier to accept her if she had charme. Nothing to do with her looks. If de Armas would come across the way Lynch does, I would feel the same towards her. But so far I´m anyhow not much impressed by de Armas too, so maybe throwing those who swoon over de Armas and those who are not keen on Lynch all in the same kettle is not the most reasonable approach.
    Please keep in mind that despite me not falling for Nomi I am well aware that a trailer is not the film, and I am willing to hold out until I´ve seen the film. But that doesn´t mean I can´t utter negative reactions to the trailer, much as many people praise Nomi based purely on the trailer and some press fotos.

@007Blofeld sent me a link to that trailer reaction by Randolph. Why is she so…loud? Couldn't even sit through more than a minute of that video.

She's one of the worst Youtubers around, and that is saying something.
  • Calm down, @Univex .

+1

+2

+3

Why does dislike for a character automatically have to do with agendas? This is ridiculous. A gross insult of Fiona Volpe, to throw her in the same pot with Jinx, who by the way did get lots and lots of negative criticism all along. And Jinx didn´t get criticised for being feminist, but for being annoying. To think that all criticism of Nomi has to do with feminism is itself faux-perceptions and prejudice.

• edited December 2019 Posts: 79
    I honestly think the "knee" phrase is the best part of the trailer. THIS is exactly what I want to see.
    Fascinating to realise that some people (fans?) dont seem to get the very essence of the Bond character, and the reason for the success of the series over the decades: Bond always rises to meet a challenge, and he is at the top of his game when these challenges come across as verbal battles with girls, allies, henchmen, femme fatales or the villains (did anyone question that Goldfinger comes across as intellectual superior to Bond with his plan??).

I feel that some people project their own insecurity on Bond, and are afraid that a strong woman could overshadow Bond or put his leading role at risk.

And at the same time just weird that all of that was just accepted with characters as Viona, Xenia or Wai Lin.

I say: the more of those banters the better. Bring them on!

The only thing I hope for: If Nomi is indeed 007 (Which I think she will be), the movie should end with a scene where M asks Bond to return and he replies something like "under one condition..." and then "James Bond will return as 007"
    octofinger wrote: »
    Calm down, @Univex .

I'm perfectly calm, @octofinger.

My answer was long because I was enthusiastically responding to you. I am calm. Jeez, nowadays one has to write in short sentences and paragraphs to not come across as angry.

And @boldfinger, the pot you are referring to, the one I threw all of those Bond women into, was the "strong female fighting character" pot. No harm in that. And the perception of them all was taken accordingly to the time the films came out. You're just making my point stronger, old pal. All I said was that female strong characters who happen to be agents or know how to fight have been around for ages. The current "agenda" is that only now we have awaken to the need for having them on screen, the "agenda" is that there were none of these women before. That they were all Bond girls, not women. And that assumption is ridiculous.

Oh my, my response is overlong, people will tell me to calm dow. Should have used emoticons. Ok, here's a couple that translate my feelings for you all.

;) :) :-D
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    A few weeks ago I was accused of "hysteria" when merely pointing out that Bond films don't have to be kid-friendly. But what is this Lashana thing then if not hysteria? So far, I've read nothing but really positive comments about Lashana. I don't think anyone here is threatened by her presence. We're wasting our breath on perhaps a member or two--at most.

I think she's going to be amazing. I myself am simply not attracted to her, but that's not a big issue since I'm not attracted to Camille or Paris or Triple-X either. I can still love a character, a performance, a presence. And I'm sure I'll enjoy everything Lashana brings to NTTD. But I don't have to call her a good-looking woman if she isn't in my book.

A colleague of mine went berserk when I told her how I felt about Lashana's looks last Friday. "O . M . G! You're only saying that because she's BLACK!" I'm sorry, what? I think Sissy Spacek is an unattractive woman; I find Shelley Duvall flat-out ugly. So now I don't like my own skin colour either? What does one have to do with the other? Talk about 'hysteria'. Also, my dark-skinned girlfriend had to laugh hard when I told her.

That doesn't mean I cannot respect an actress or appreciate what she brings. But I don't have to resort to "inner beauty" nonsense either. It's showbiz. Looks alone can make a star, even if she or he doesn't have any true acting talent. The opposite is also true; you can be the ugliest person on stage but blow us all away with an amazing performance.

Now, I'm not saying that Lashana is ugly; I just don't find her a very good-looking addition to the realm of Bond girls. That may change, though. Still, don't get angry with me, please. I'm glad she's here and I'm admiring her already. She may end up being one of the best things in NTTD. I've always supported the choice to bring her in. I thought her better than Brie in Captain Marvel, even if Brie is the more attractive one in my book. And this has absolutely nothing to do with skin colour. I've seen lots of '70s flicks with Pam Grier and let me tell you, she a whooole lotta woman; the white girls paled in comparison. (Yeah, pun very much intended.)

But like I said, so far, this forum seems very pleased with Lashana.
    octofinger wrote: »
    Calm down, @Univex .

I'm perfectly calm, @octofinger.

My answer was long because I was enthusiastically responding to you. I am calm. Jeez, nowadays one has to write in short sentences and paragraphs to not come across as angry.

And @boldfinger, the pot you are referring to, the one I threw all of those Bond women into, was the "strong female fighting character" pot. No harm in that. And the perception of them all was taken accordingly to the time the films came out. You're just making my point stronger, old pal. All I said was that female strong characters who happen to be agents or know how to fight have been around for ages. The current "agenda" is that only now we have awaken to the need for having them on screen, the "agenda" is that there were none of these women before. That they were all Bond girls, not women. And that assumption is ridiculous.

Oh my, my response is overlong, people will tell me to calm dow. Should have used emoticons. Ok, here's a couple that translate my feelings for you all.

;) :) :-D
    Those are very beautiful emoticons, @Unvex, but I get a feeling I got what you said even without them ;-). Seems I misunderstood your previous post. I will be more attentive henceforth.