NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

Skyfall:

Naomi Harris says she's not playing Monneypenny

SPECTRE:

Christoph Waltz says he's not playing Blofeld

NTTD:

Malek says he's not playing Dr.No
    Hmmmmmmmm
  • Hey, been in the background since Skyfall, can I get your opinion on what you guys think of the tone they’re going for? Do you feel more CR/QOS or the Roger Moore/Spectre vibe?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    007007x wrote: »
    Hey, been in the background since Skyfall, can I get your opinion on what you guys think of the tone they’re going for? Do you feel more CR/QOS or the Roger Moore/Spectre vibe?

CR/SF with some hardness and blood from QoS

Not SP
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Hey, been in the background since Skyfall, can I get your opinion on what you guys think of the tone they’re going for? Do you feel more CR/QOS or the Roger Moore/Spectre vibe?
    Looks like it has the grittier tone of the early Craig films with the grandiose plot of the Connery movies. So sort of the opposite of SP.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited December 2019 Posts: 5,834
    @dragonsky But that doesn't mean everytime someone says they're not playing someone, they are playing that person. Plus, this Dr. No thing was blown out of proportion by fans and press. There's no real source for it. This film is seemingly riddled with references, so I'm sure Dr. No will inspire in some way, but there's no reason for Malek to actually be him.
  • dragonsky wrote: »
    Skyfall:

Naomi Harris says she's not playing Monneypenny

SPECTRE:

Christoph Waltz says he's not playing Blofeld

NTTD:

Malek says he's not playing Dr.No
    Hmmmmmmmm
    Apparently Lashana's not playing 007 either
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified

Definitely think they’re going with the harder edge and brutality of CR/QOS and, to an extent, SF. If there’s one thing I absolutely couldn’t stand about SP it was the lack of blood, toughness, and grit. The train fight with Hinx and Bond could’ve used some of that especially.
  • 007007x wrote: »

Definitely think they’re going with the harder edge and brutality of CR/QOS and, to an extent, SF. If there’s one thing I absolutely couldn’t stand about SP it was the lack of blood, toughness, and grit. The train fight with Hinx and Bond could’ve used some of that especially.
    The weird thing about SP is that they were going for a less gritty and more Moore-esque or more 60s type of Bond flavor. Yet at the same time they throw in scenes like the brain drilling machine and Hinx gouging someone’s eyes out. Yikes!! That’s like horror movie territory right there. More grotesque than anything in the more gritty films like CR or QOS. Basically SP was a hot mess! SF got the balance absolutely right! Hard to believe the same director did both films.

• 007007x wrote: »

The weird thing about SP is that they were going for a less gritty and more Moore-esque or more 60s type of Bond flavor. Yet at the same time they throw in scenes like the brain drilling machine and Hinx gouging someone’s eyes out. Yikes!! That’s like horror movie territory right there. More grotesque than anything in the more gritty films like CR or QOS. Basically SP was a hot mess! SF got the balance absolutely right! Hard to believe the same director did both films.

Mendes shouldn't have returned, after SF he said he was exhausted of ideas for Bond, anyway, we digress...
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    nomi seems arrogant and cocky in the trailer for no apparent reason. I’m hoping bond gives her a good dose in the 3rd act.

You know, I was wondering why she is so antagonistic towards Bond. I havn't been scrutinising the trailer and/or productuon of the film, so I might have missed some vital information somone might have dug up.

Maybe he was photographed applauding Harvey Weinstein at an awards ceremony.

Maybe because she knows he's a blunt instrument who had his way with lots of women.

Maybe because she thinks he doesn't like strong women.

And maybe this scene is after he has broken up with Madeline, lost all contact with her or something similar.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    peter wrote: »

Not SP

I was hoping for CR: QoS. But this looks like a straight SP sequel.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,399
    my thoughts as to why Nomi is so salty towards Bond is really fairly simple - she's the new 007, she's younger, she feels he's old and outdated and that she is just flat out superior to him.. "you're the old 007, i'm the new 007." .. and maybe (injecting a little bit of my own personal backstory idea here) maybe she's heard the stories about the infamous James Bond 007 - the man the myth the legend, and meeting him in the flesh for the first time, she none too impressed - so she looks down on him.. then just add in everything i said before, and yeah..
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    nomi seems arrogant and cocky in the trailer for no apparent reason. I’m hoping bond gives her a good dose in the 3rd act.

You know, I was wondering why she is so antagonistic towards Bond. I havn't been scrutinising the trailer and/or productuon of the film, so I might have missed some vital information somone might have dug up.

Maybe he was photographed applauding Harvey Weinstein at an awards ceremony.

Maybe because she knows he's a blunt instrument who had his way with lots of women.

Maybe because she thinks he doesn't like strong women.

And maybe this scene is after he has broken up with Madeline, lost all contact with her or something similar.

Because Nomi is an annoying Jinx style agent and the new 007. So she is threatened by Bond. Hopefully this #metoo bore won’t ruin the most anticipated film of 2020.

+1
    IF she's 007, he will retain his status for most of the film.

Much ado about nothing.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,399
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Hopefully this #metoo bore won’t ruin the most anticipated film of 2020.

similar characters have been all throughout Bond's cinematic history.. Pussy Galore, Fiona Volpe, Tracy DiVincenzo, Tiffany Case, Anya Amasova, Holly Goodhead, and etc..

so the Bond franchise was doing "metoo" stuff before it became a Bro Buzzword.
    DJCLE84 wrote: »

similar characters have been all throughout Bond's cinematic history.. Pussy Galore, Fiona Volpe, Tracy DiVincenzo, Tiffany Case, Anya Amasova, Holly Goodhead, and etc..

Leaders, not followers. ;-)

Yes but these Bond girls had charm and still took a back seat. Jinx in DAD was just utterly annoying with the one liners and constant sparring with Bond trying to steal the screen. Nomi looks similar in the trailer.

Yes but these Bond girls had charm and still took a back seat. Jinx in DAD was just utterly annoying with the one liners and constant sparring with Bond trying to steal the screen. Nomi looks similar in the trailer.

well in fairness, your assumption is based purely off speculation based off a 2 minute trailer... i mean, if you wanna write off a character before seeing the full movie because of hashtags, then thats your choice....

but i got nothing about Jinx honestly - your assertion is spot on, she was annoying AF.... i personally dont get the same "yo momma" vibe from Nomi that i did with Jinx - maybe thats because i dont feel like they are pushing Nomi as the duel threat of being Bond Girl / Bond Equal like they were doing with Jinx... Nomi's just another agent.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

Not SP

I believe NTTD will have more humor than the first three Craig films. Plus, Malek recently said that they changed the tone of a particular scene with Daniel because PWB wrote it with some humor in it and didn’t fit.
    00Ralf wrote: »
    @Torgeirtrap Perfect, thanks!

Is that light blue one called Welcome Aboard, perhaps?

Seems like it!

Looking further at the set decorations, next to the books there's also a chessboard. I don't think that it will play a role in any of the scenes, other than being a nice detail to give the audience a general idea of how Bond spends his free time (assuming that's his place).

Oh and it can serve as another answer to the hardcore trivia question about Bond films featuring chess :D

Good spotting! I guess even Craig's Bond need something to do in his free time ;-)
  • silva13silva13 Australia
    I'm really wondering where the boat explosion fits in. Secret lab perhaps? Do Bond and Nomi rescue the kidnapped scientist from there?

Also wondering whether Safin is in the helicopter chasing Bond or whether he will be a stay at home villain.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 1,469
    The one thing that I really don’t like is this Maddie-Safin connection. It’s essentially what I hated about SP - the Bond-Blofeld connection. Little Jimmy Bond grew up with a foster brother of sorts, they played together, grew up together, blah blah blah. Fast forward many years later and Big Jim Bond discovers that his foster brother is now his arch enemy, the author of all his pain (uggh!!!), and runs this secretive worldwide criminal network that people dare only mention in hushed voices. This mastermind global villain just “happens” to be the foster brother from Bond’s youth. The chances of something like this happening in real life are nil to none. Plus it’s such a lazy trope!!!! We’re not talking about some random person on the street discovering that their long-lost brother is now a criminal mastermind. We’re talking about Bond and this secret organization that he’s been trying to take down for years. And who runs this secret organization? His brother???? Yeah right!!

So now we have Safin and Maddie. This same intruder who once broke into her house is now back and he’s this super-duper all-powerful megalomaniac who has secret lairs and whatnot and a powerful new weapon that can bring the world to its knees. He’s even more powerful and terrifying than Blofeld??? Pleaaasee!!!!! I just hate it when every major villain has to be tied into one of our important character’s past somehow. It’s just lazy!!!!!

With Silva and M it made sense. He’s an agent who went rogue, she sold him out, so he’s back for revenge. But all this other BS about foster brothers and one-time burglars now being super villains is lame. Does this mean some day I will have to square off against a super villain who once tried to jimmy open the door of my house??? Why does everything have to be connected like this to one’s past????

Other than that I think the trailer looks great and I’m really excited to see the film!!!

I agree totally, if there is a connection between Maddie and Safin, and there really seems to be--too much coincidence in this and SP, straining credulity. James' familial connections have no place in a Bond film. From the very beginning, Ian Fleming saw to that: Bond's parents died in a climbing accident. It is very lazy writing, and the writers have shrunk their perspective. Too convenient; too dramatic. Bond has become soap opera! After this film, EON should get back much closer to the original formula, FIRE all the old writers, and hire new, smarter ones. You may know I also questioned the inclusion of Rami Malek, saying he doesn't look threatening. He reminds me of Boris Grishenko and Domenic Greene. Maybe EON needs to improve their casting as well. But, maybe Rami will surprise me--I'm open to that. That said, this film is already in the can, and I'll enjoy it as much as I can, partly because it's a Bond film, I've been a Craig fan, and the cinematography looks superb.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    kaUpFa2.png

A closer look at the books on the table seen when Bond talks to Nomi.

'Zen and the Art of Meditative Maintenance'? Probably not entirely correct, the image is too blurry. But 'The Complete Book of Sea Fishing' seems right, also considering the harpoon gun and the whole setting of the Jamaican hut on the shore.

The title of the bottom book doesn't look to be in English.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    The one thing that I really don’t like is this Maddie-Safin connection. It’s essentially what I hated about SP - the Bond-Blofeld connection. Little Jimmy Bond grew up with a foster brother of sorts, they played together, grew up together, blah blah blah. Fast forward many years later and Big Jim Bond discovers that his foster brother is now his arch enemy, the author of all his pain (uggh!!!), and runs this secretive worldwide criminal network that people dare only mention in hushed voices. This mastermind global villain just “happens” to be the foster brother from Bond’s youth. The chances of something like this happening in real life are nil to none. Plus it’s such a lazy trope!!!! We’re not talking about some random person on the street discovering that their long-lost brother is now a criminal mastermind. We’re talking about Bond and this secret organization that he’s been trying to take down for years. And who runs this secret organization? His brother???? Yeah right!!

So now we have Safin and Maddie. This same intruder who once broke into her house is now back and he’s this super-duper all-powerful megalomaniac who has secret lairs and whatnot and a powerful new weapon that can bring the world to its knees. He’s even more powerful and terrifying than Blofeld??? Pleaaasee!!!!! I just hate it when every major villain has to be tied into one of our important character’s past somehow. It’s just lazy!!!!!

With Silva and M it made sense. He’s an agent who went rogue, she sold him out, so he’s back for revenge. But all this other BS about foster brothers and one-time burglars now being super villains is lame. Does this mean some day I will have to square off against a super villain who once tried to jimmy open the door of my house??? Why does everything have to be connected like this to one’s past????

Other than that I think the trailer looks great and I’m really excited to see the film!!!

+10,000
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

Not SP

It doesn't look so much like a SP sequel but rather an overall final chapter to the four films before it. Keep in mind that felix is back, Bond
    visits Vesper's grave
    , etc.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    kaUpFa2.png

'Zen and the Art of Meditative Maintenance'? Probably not entirely correct, the image is too blurry. But 'The Complete Book of Sea Fishing' seems right, also considering the harpoon gun and the whole setting of the Jamaican hut on the shore.

The title is upside down. The book, I think is Farming the Edge of the Sea.
    No Birds of the West Indies?
    jake24 wrote: »

Not SP

It doesn't look so much like a SP sequel but rather an overall final chapter to the four films before it. Keep in mind that felix is back, Bond
    visits Vesper's grave
    , etc.

+1
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    kaUpFa2.png

The title is upside down. The book, I think is Farming the Edge of the Sea.

I do hope he has a chicken farm.