Is it better when Bond is chasing or being chased?

edited May 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 11,425
I usually prefer when Bond is being chased to when he does the chasing. Also, Bond should not use large machines to take on enemies. Using the digger in the free running scene in CR was un-Bondian. Speaking of which, Bond does nearly all the chasing in CR, which is perhaps one of the reasons I prefer QoS, in which he gets chased more - the chase at the opera is nice..

Comments

I prefer when he's chased mostly (TSWLM, TLD, TND, GF car chases), but there have been tons of cool moments when he's chasing (CR free running, GE tank chase)
    Overall the free running chase is excellent, but I felt using a digger to take on an unarmed man was out of character.
    My favourite chase/fight is on the roof of the docks in YOLT when the camera pans out and Bond punches his way through a swarm of goons.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I prefer the scenes more where he is chasing, and some of my favorites being in CR and QoS, so I guess I'd have to choose that option. I like seeing Bond with a determination in his eyes to do whatever is necessary to get at his enemies.
  • .I think BOND being chased is more suspensful and therefore more exciting. You want him to be able to get away. On the other hand you want him also to catch the villains but there is less an element of danger here for the character as it is him who is doing the chasing. So I go with being chased. Classic example - Sir Roger being chased in the LOTUS in TSWLM. You want Bond to get away.
    Its more likely a spy will be pursued than pursuing. I guess I prefer him being chased.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Its more likely a spy will be pursued than pursuing. I guess I prefer him being chased.

Well it depends. It is more about finding your target and preying on them that getting chased. If you are getting chased in that business you seriously messed up.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Well it depends. It is more about finding your target and preying on them that getting chased. If you are getting chased in that business you seriously messed up.

Yes but anytime your in your enemies territory, your more likely to be concerned with getting away, not giving chase. They'd be terribly disabled to let a spy openly chase through their streets.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Interesting question! I like both as long as it's well done, obviously B-)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    It really depends upon the situation. CR is a good example of chasing, the PTS of TSWLM one of being chased.

I don't love the bulldozer in CR either but I think it's necessary for him to knock down the fence.
    echo wrote:
    It really depends upon the situation. CR is a good example of chasing, the PTS of TSWLM one of being chased.

I don't love the bulldozer in CR either but I think it's necessary for him to knock down the fence.
    He did what spies do. He improvised.

• DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    edited May 2012 Posts: 1,329
    nice idea for a thread :)
    maybe it depends which bond is being chased ? or doing the chasing ?
    i think DC suits chasing down people because he hasnt met anyone who can physically match him yet so i imagine he would just stand there if the pursuer had no weapons and knock them out :D
    (foot chase anyway )
    If the actor is phycially fit enough to do the chasing then why not?

Its been going on a while. Remember Rog chasing Scaramanga and Nick Nack through Bangkok. If it fits the story then I welcome it.

And Craig is such a physcial Bond watching him doing the chasing is extraordinary. I wouldn't like him chasing me.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've always preferred it when Bond was doing the chasing, not vice versa. The Madagascar chase scene, the Italy chase scene, I've always found them more intense that way.
    I like it when Bond is the one being chased. Adds urgency IMO.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Getafix wrote:
    Using the digger in the free running scene in CR was un-Bondian.

as opposed to using a tank to level half of St Petersburg?..

as opposed to jumping into a rag tag and cartoonish moonbuggy?..

as opposed to jumping into an ice speeder to outrun a lousy CGI laser from space?..

using the dozer seems the more subtle route IMO.
    I think it's nice to have a blend of both, but I usually find it more exciting when bond is getting chased.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Most of the Time - at least on the movies i saw - Bond is being chased. TSWLM, GE, TND, DAD, QoS... It is better, adds some action to the movie.

BUT, also there are the times that when the agent is pursuing the action is even greater. GE, TWINE, CR.. Those are good examples of a great action that is rolling on.

oh.. and 4 me, Bond is better when is being chased. The action is best. My favourite is QoS.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    HASEROT wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Using the digger in the free running scene in CR was un-Bondian.

as opposed to using a tank to level half of St Petersburg?..

as opposed to jumping into a rag tag and cartoonish moonbuggy?..

as opposed to jumping into an ice speeder to outrun a lousy CGI laser from space?..

using the dozer seems the more subtle route IMO.

Exactly! Suddenly a buldozer appears subtle in comparison. I have nothing against that scene to be honest, I think it worked well.
    Getafix wrote:
    My favourite chase/fight is on the roof of the docks in YOLT when the camera pans out and Bond punches his way through a swarm of goons.

Couldn't agree more, it is not only one of the highlights of the movie but also the entire series. I really enjoy that scene. I also prefer Bond to be chased, a scense of the odds being stacked against him where Bond has to rely on his wits to gain the upper hand. The other chases I really enjoy are the Spectre chase against Bond in the carnival scene in TB and the scene in OHMSS when the pursue Bond on skies and then by car.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Both within the same film work best, I think. Otherwise you'll always ask "should it have been the other way around?". I'd like to see Bond being chased in a future film next. I don't think we have had that for a while.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited May 2012 Posts: 4,399
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Both within the same film work best, I think. Otherwise you'll always ask "should it have been the other way around?". I'd like to see Bond being chased in a future film next. I don't think we have had that for a while.

he was being chased in the PTS of QOS - and technically he was being chased, and trying to be shot down while flying a plane in the same film.. lol

but i understand what you mean - a foot chase...... yeah, it would be a nice switch. Don't know if we'll see it in Skyfall, but maybe for Bond 24.

HASEROT wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

he was being chased in the PTS of QOS - and technically he was being chased, and trying to be shot down while flying a plane in the same film.. lol

but i understand what you mean - a foot chase...... yeah, it would be a nice switch. Don't know if we'll see it in Skyfall, but maybe for Bond 24.

Well it certainly feels like Bond has more than enough to run from in Skyfall, so you may get your wish.
    HASEROT wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

He was also being chased in the boat in QoS and there is the nice foot chase at the opera, which was very Bondian.
    Both are just as entertaining for me!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 40,370
    Unless I've been reading up on it wrong, doesn't Bond chase Silva on foot throughout London in Skyfall? Unless you were just speaking of Bond being chased on foot in Skyfall, which I'm not sure of. I've been attempting to avoid as much as I can for the film, but it's just too hard!
    Ehh, either one are fine with me quite honestly. We get both on either side nearly equally, though more on the side of Bond chasing the villains. Still, they both have attributes and entertain me just the same.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited May 2012 Posts: 8,009
    A nice balance of both works for me. The bike chase in Tomorrow Never Dies is a great example. The World is Not Enough has the boat chase then.

Connery's movies had the nicest balance of both. And the skiing scenes from On Her Majesty's Secret Service were great too, especially the scene where Blofeld's goons chase Bond and Tracey, resulting in the avalanche.

I also liked the ice chase from The Living Daylights, which was pretty thrilling and gave Dalton some of his most "Bondian cool" moments, "I've had a few optional extras installed."

So I wouldn't really have a preference for either, as long as they were done right and one didn't overpower the other.

Craig needs something cool like the ice chase or those ski scenes, just to keep it fresh.
    @CraigMooreOHMSS

I agree... i thought TLD was the perfect example of taking a more serious and grounded approach, and still keeping the traditional formula intact..... i love CR.. i like QOS.. but I would love to see SF be a bit more like TLD in terms of that balance mentioned above.
    HASEROT wrote:
    @CraigMooreOHMSS

I agree... i thought TLD was the perfect example of taking a more serious and grounded approach, and still keeping the traditional formula intact..... i love CR.. i like QOS.. but I would love to see SF be a bit more like TLD in terms of that balance mentioned above.

For me TLD was the last full fat proper Bond movie.