Novice to the post-Fleming novels

Hi everyone, new member of the forum here, I read a few of the Fleming novels many years ago in my youth, but I wondered if anyone could recommend any of the post-Fleming books that would be a good fit for someone keen to imagine further Dalton Bond stories beyond than the two we got as films? Many thanks.

Comments

• Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Welcome and what a good question. Personally I imagine Dalton in the Fleming Bonds when I read them now!

John Gardner's continuation novels would be right for the era but I'm not very keen on those. I'm sure our friendly expert @Dragonpol would be happy to advise though!
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Hello @Betty_May_Kthatu - I can’t help you with your question, as I’m still working my way through the Fleming novels for the first time (long time movie Bond fan and guilt has finally persuaded me to start reading the novels).

I do however have quite a few of the continuation novels sat on my bookshelf waiting for me to eventually get round to them, so I’ll be interested to see what kinds of advice you get from the knowledgeable members of the forum.

Anyway, just wanted to stop by and welcome you to the forum - I hope you have fun here! 😊
    Colonel Sun by Kingsley Amis is closest to Fleming, and therefore I guess closest to Dalton. I also enjoyed High Time To Kill and Forever And a Day too.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 12,916
    As mentioned Colonel Sun is a good start.

I'd also recommend the John Gardner books as more minor missions than Fleming of course but enjoyable. Licence Renewed, For Special Services, Icebreaker and the rest. They feature an older Bond, and that can suit Dalton. He's into his 70s and still looks like he's mission ready.

The newer Horowitz books are also a good read, though for Dalton they'd retcon him to the 60s [I should have said 50s here, as @thedove says below]. Not automatically a bad thing.

All these would be improved by imagining Dalton Bond through the events. I should take that on myself.
  • Betty_May_KthatuBetty_May_Kthatu Hong Kong
    Thank you everyone for the welcome and the suggestions. I suppose the era is the key thing to make literary Dalton Bond work. Are any set in the 90s?
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    @Betty_May_Kthatu Yes the Gardner books are set within the time they were written. He was writing Bond up to Goldeneye novelisation. So he for sure has some 90's adventures. His stuff is uneven but I enjoyed more then those that left me wanting. Carte Blanche by Jeffrey Deaver was set in the 2000's but Bond is younger and has a different background then the cinematic Bond character, and even Fleming's. Horowitz took Bond back to Fleming's era of the 50's. Faulks Devil May Care took Bond to the late 60's as did Boyd with Solo. I didn't read Solo so I can't comment on whether he was successful.

I enjoyed Deaver's take and thought it was bold to bring Bond to a modern setting.
    Thanks very much - that's exactly the sort of summary I needed, thank you for taking the trouble Dove.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    As others have said Colonel Sun is a great novel, I also enjoy the first six or so of the
    John Gardner books.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 2,426
    Where do the Raymond Benson novels fit in? Are they a similar time period to the Gardner’s or later? And is Benson’s Bond similar to Gardner’s? I know he did a few novelisations for the Brosnan films, so are his original novels ‘more Brosnan-like’ than Dalton?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Only my opinion here, so please be kind ;-)
    Benson's Books are more like movie tie ins, lots of
    gadgets etc. I do think they are set after J Gardner's books.
    My feelings on Benson are similar to Gardener's the first few are
    decent enough, but then the quality drops.
    I've read them all a few times over the years but now just stick
    to the Fleming books.
    Benson was asked to align his Bond with Brosnan.
    Thanks for that info @Thunderpussy @vzok
    I don't think anyone has yet mentioned James Bond: The Authorized Biography of 007 by John Pearson, but I would definitely recommend it. I know some are bothered by its alternative continuity, but just consider it as an alternative universe version of Fleming, written by someone who knew Fleming and his life extremely well. The prose is also a cut above most of the continuation authors, aside from Amis. Pearson's portrait of an aged Bond would also fit the OP's request for a further Dalton story, if one envisions today's Dalton as old Bond.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Nobody Lives Forever i think is Gardner's best book and you could certainly see Dalton as Bond in this story.

The rest i find fair to middling. Same with Benson's efforts. Although i thought The Facts Of Death and High Time To Kill weren't bad.
  • Gardener did a Licence to Kill novelisation. Perhaps that might interest you, if you want a literary Daltonesque experience?

IMG-5664.jpg

I never see a Bond actor in my imagination when I read the books. But I've always said Dalton is closest to the person I do see in my mind's eye.
    Belatedly, thank you everyone for your very useful suggestions and insights.
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    I adore Charlie Higson's books.