The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/jaguar/cx75/2015/710480

So uhm... we are fans, and thus collectors. Now it's your chance to own a piece of Bond on wheels... the Jaguar CX75 as seen in Spectre is up for auction...

I've bought too many classic cars during the last 10 years, so I'll leave it up to me mates on this site.

:-?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    JamesCraig wrote: »

So uhm... we are fans, and thus collectors. Now it's your chance to own a piece of Bond on wheels... the Jaguar CX75 as seen in Spectre is up for auction...

I've bought too many classic cars during the last 10 years, so I'll leave it up to me mates on this site.

TBH I don't like it. Worst chase in Bond history, except for the Ice chase, but at least that one was on ice.

I'm no fan of these 'supercars' or 'hypercars'. Try and get one of those through a normal street. I've seen them often enough in the expensive side of town. I was faster on my bycicle because they have to slow down to crawling pace to get over a speed bump. They're useless as cars.

TBH I don't like it. Worst chase in Bond history, except for the Ice chase, but at least that one was on ice.

I'm no fan of these 'supercars' or 'hypercars'. Try and get one of those through a normal street. I've seen them often enough in the expensive side of town. I was faster on my bycicle because they have to slow down to crawling pace to get over a speed bump. They're useless as cars.

Yeah but we can dream. ~O)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Such a lovely looking car and a real shame it never went to production. I didn't know Williams rebuilt them for the movie though; that's an interesting history of that car. Quite an amazing and unique car to own.
    It'll be fascinating to see how much it goes for.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl

When I'm out on 2 wheels I love the schadenfreude of filtering past a very expensive car that's stuck in traffic. So long, suckers!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Agent_99 wrote: »

When I'm out on 2 wheels I love the schadenfreude of filtering past a very expensive car that's stuck in traffic. So long, suckers!

It's a pretty short lived victory though! And folks in cars are usually doing different journeys to those on bikes: it's like a car driver feeling elation that he just drove 200 miles and flicking the Vs at a cyclist for not managing the same feat :)
    edited November 2019 Posts: 3,497
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Sorry, but ...

p.jpg
    =)) =))
    Here is another of my dream cars. Unfortunately it only was a prototype, but I would love to drive one: The 1964 GM-X Stiletto. Those were the days when Americans looked optimistically into a bright future influenced by rocket technology. The Space Age had begun!

1964_GM-X_Stiletto_04.jpg
    a8ee2f18f4714bce18e3dbe248f534dc.jpg
    2017-06-19_13-24-09.jpg
    2017-06-19_13-24-39.jpg
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    That is one epic prototipe! You do wonder what happened in the US after that. especially the eighties....
    Agent_99 wrote: »

As we get even more gray/rainy weather over here in the swamplands than you in Britain, I'm always happy to give some spaceto those on their oversized mopeds. After all, I'm the one sitting on my leather seat, in warm surroundings with some nice music on the radio...
    ;-)

Doesn't mean I wasn't enjoying overtaking a ferrari on the right hand side when I got the chance in busy traffic though. Still had to push my (then) golf onto 140 kp/h to manage it.. :-D
    Which Golf did you have? :D
    edited November 2019 Posts: 7,946
    volkswagen_golf_volkswagen_golf_opknapper_maar_wel_keihard_1991_3850056566050446951.jpg

Exactly like this, but than silver.
    Sweet. ;)
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    As we get even more gray/rainy weather over here in the swamplands than you in Britain, I'm always happy to give some spaceto those on their oversized mopeds. After all, I'm the one sitting on my leather seat, in warm surroundings with some nice music on the radio...
    ;-)

True! (And mine really is an oversized moped.) I try to be a courteous rider, but sometimes my attitude is more "Get out of my way, I'm cold and wet and you're not."
    DBX interior:

y6wPXqA.jpg

USA price: $189.900, which is more than the Bentley Bentayga...
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    Then again, with a DBX you get more than a VW Touareg with some chrome and leather thrown at it :D
    MartinBond wrote: »
    Then again, with a DBX you get more than a VW Touareg with some chrome and leather thrown at it :D

I like the Touareg :-\" [-(
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    I see (luxury) SUV's and especially Crossovers as pointless but a necessary evil for companies to survive, with the exception of the Toyota Land Cruiser and a LaRo Defender.

Having said that, There are some that aren't soo bad, like the Alfa Stelvio, Jaguar F-Pace, Maserati Levante and this upcoming DBX.
    Still, I'd rather have a Giulia/XF/Ghibli/Vantage respectively.
    DBX interior:

y6wPXqA.jpg

If that is an Aston Martin, I wonder how passengers in the backseat could tell. This is very generic and does not shout AM. Are there at least any subtle logos? Any repetition of the famous grille-shape in the design?

I think I would rather buy a nice Touareg, t.b.h., or a Porsche Cayenne.
    zebrafish wrote: »
    DBX interior:

y6wPXqA.jpg

If that is an Aston Martin, I wonder how passengers in the backseat could tell. This is very generic and does not shout AM. Are there at least any subtle logos? Any repetition of the famous grille-shape in the design?

Well, I'm not the biggest Porsche fan, but for some reason I like the Macan a lot. :-?

No wonder it's their best selling model.

61SdzxR.jpg

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    zebrafish wrote: »
    DBX interior:

y6wPXqA.jpg

Have you been in many Astons? They’re not as chintzy inside as Bentleys, although I’ve found their interiors recently to be a little disappointing to be honest. This one looks a little improvement.
    I have never sat in an Aston, unfortunately, but I think for that money one could expect not only luxury, but also something a little different or specific to the marque.

Agreed, the Macan looks much better than the Cayenne (which is the same platform as the Touareg). But as SUVs go, they quickly lose the specific look of their more sportier and smaller cousins, the GTs and Coupés. It would be worth looking at how good the different companies managed to upscale their typical design language and still be instantly recognizable, but in a good way. Volvo is an example where this worked extremely well, to the point that the old XC60 is now as typical of "a Volvo" as the boxy cars 260 or 850 in the 70s-90s. At the other end is BMW, no matter how big the SUV, they all look identical. Difficult to tell X1 from X3 and that from X5 (especially from the back and sides).
    9x6q1z4.jpg

Which of these DB4 Zagato continuations is mine? ;-)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I got up close to one at Goodwood this year: incredible!
    edited November 2019 Posts: 4,311
    Quick, buy one (obviously the one with the fog lights and Rallye-stripes) and wait a couple of years, then sell and retire.

aston_db4_gt_reivew04.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&scale=down

Just realized the bonnets look different - air-intake in one, bulge in the other - what's going on here? I think I posted the wrong car.
    Here we go, this is the one:

aston-martin-db4-gt-zagato-continuation-car_100723253_h.jpg
    aston-martin-db4-gt-zagato-continuation-car_100723264_h.jpg
    Personally it just feels wrong to say 'I sat in the back of an Aston'. You either sit in the front, or there's no use at all. But then again I am one of those 'I don't get the SUV thing' persons. Yes, I understan driving the real ones in rough terrain, but not the luxury ones. That's taking all the fun out of driving.

Still hoping by the end of march I can honestly say we're buying a Giulia. If all goes a little better than planned.....

But just for the fun of it, what are your thoughts? We won't be able to buy the quadrofoglio, just the 'starters model'. But what colour/seat combination do you guys like most?
    Personally it just feels wrong to say 'I sat in the back of an Aston'. You either sit in the front, or there's no use at all. But then again I am one of those 'I don't get the SUV thing' persons. Yes, I understan driving the real ones in rough terrain, but not the luxury ones. That's taking all the fun out of driving.

Still hoping by the end of march I can honestly say we're buying a Giulia. If all goes a little better than planned.....

But just for the fun of it, what are your thoughts? We won't be able to buy the quadrofoglio, just the 'starters model'. But what colour/seat combination do you guys like most?

Black or dark grey. Leather or leather/Alcantara. ;)
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

The Giulia is absolutely gorgeous. I’d go with a dark blue colour and light brown interior with leather seats :x