No Time to Die production thread

Comments

They should just five or to Arnold then. I don’t see why eon would be hesitant
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 820
    We don't know for sure if there's anything to this yet, but on the sheer impact of such a scoop I'd think JBR would be hesitant to stake their reputation on the claim if they didn't really trust the source.

Music is so critically important to the success and reception of a Bond film. Vastly underrated, IMO, even as appreciated as it generally is.

It's not an area to be screwed around with lightly, so if indeed Romer's work wasn't up to par then kudos to the filmmakers for making a decisive (and no doubt difficult) decision.

But let's just see what happens here. If Romer's truly out, you gotta believe Arnold's in. Or at least has a leading chance.
  • Help us David Arnold, you're our only hope! :)
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 19,339
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    We don't know for sure if there's anything to this yet, but on the sheer impact of such a scoop I'd think JBR would be hesitant to stake their reputation on the claim if they didn't really trust the source.

Music is so critically important to the success and reception of a Bond film. Vastly underrated, IMO, even as appreciated as it generally is.

It's not an area to be screwed around with lightly, so if indeed Romer's work wasn't up to par then kudos to the filmmakers for making a decisive (and no doubt difficult) decision.

But let's just see what happens here. If Romer's truly out, you gotta believe Arnold's in. Or at least has a leading chance.

Precisely.
    SP showed how lazy scoring can be noticed and affect the film massively.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    There are plenty of other talented composers out there - just sayin'!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Satorious wrote: »

Certainly. I would gladly take both Arnold and Newman back, but curious to see what someone new can do.
    Yes there are, but precedent is a thing, and the fact is, our man Arnold has worked on Bond even after he wasn't the composer for the films, being it on special editions, concerts and festivals, commercials, ... And...its his theme that is usually used by countless entities when they refer to Bond. Arnold is perfect for the job, always was, and is available. So, why not?
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 19,339
    Satorious wrote: »

Certainly. I would gladly take both Arnold and Newman back, but curious to see what someone new can do.

I hope to God they don't go for Newman again !

David Arnold all the way,if this is Dan's last film then they need someone who loves composing for Bond,is a BIG Bond fan,knows how the films work in production,and the quality of his work on the Bond films speaks for itself.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Univex wrote: »
    I like Hurwitz, guy can channel Barry sometimes, even. And that, before someone comments, is a good thing, in my book.

But I prefer Arnold. Still say he's done haunting themes, and that Stargate theme of his is one of the best ever. A simple crescendo of epicness. And he is a fellow fan, isn't he? How can we not champion for him?

I remember reading that when Romer was initially chosen Hurwitz was in the final group. I was rooting for him but was just on board for new ques and sound.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Univex wrote: »
    Arnold is perfect for the job, always was, and is available. So, why not?
    He is a great advocate for the series - that I'll give you. Perhaps Cary Fukunaga wants a different vibe? Let's see what happens! Arnold would be the most likely outcome in this situation if it is being reported correctly. I can't help but feel there would be more interesting choices out there though!
  • Oh my, don't get my hopes up with David Arnold again...
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    It looks like Arnold is coming back if this is true he is the go too on short notice.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Help us David Arnold, you're our only hope! :)

oh ffs
    Eon really needs to up their game in the music department for this film.
    Perhaps Romer's score thus far was bringing back bad memories of Eric Serra?
    Perhaps Romer was using Michel Legrand's NSNA music as a role model not realizing NSNA isn't an official Bond film?

Just kidding.

Whatever the reason, Eon still have time to sort things out.
  • TripAces wrote: »

oh ffs

?
    Throwing in my support for Arnold return, I'll be ok if any other composer joins production though!
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited November 2019 Posts: 3,497
    TripAces wrote: »

oh ffs

?
    Throwing in my support for Arnold return, I'll be ok if any other composer joins production though!

I'd love to see him back, but again we are "debating" something for over 5 pages based only on one "source".
    edited November 2019 Posts: 4,548
    Walecs wrote: »
    If Arnold were to return hopefully we'll hear some snippets of Vesper's theme, You Know My Name and Night at the opera in the score.

Interesting. I am not sure how that would play out, given that SP included parts of the SF score, and posters here have been bitching about it ever since. LOL

But back to the issue at hand: I trust CJF. It is his film. EON is likely giving him creative control, and they will not make significant demands on the composer. The fact that Romer was chosen in the first place should signal whose film this is.

So from that standpoint, some of you need to calm down. Even if Romer has left, it is unlikely that CJF would bring in Arnold. First of all, he knows better; secondly, and more importantly, he doesn't want his film's creative components connected to Bond films of old. He's making his own film.

• ?
    That poster is just a grump about David Arnold, that's all there is to it, going as far as shamelessly mocking him for "lack of work", so yeah, a real mature position!
  • robcoperobcope St. Petersburg, FL
    If Romer is definitely out, then we need to get Michael Kamen. I recognize he's been deceased for 16 years, but they still need to make it happen.

?
    That poster is just a grump about David Arnold, that's all there is to it, going as far as shamelessly mocking him for "lack of work", so yeah, a real mature position!

LOL. I am sorry: pointing out Arnold's lack of work is a fact. And if you were to dig a little deeper, you'd see that I enjoyed much of Arnold's work on CR and QoS. I consider "NIght at the Opera" to be one of the single greatest Bond pieces ever composed. But his time and style have passed. I simply disagree that he is "the" composer this series needs now or in the future. He's been put out to pasture, so the speak. Keep him there.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    barryt007 wrote: »

Precisely.

More like bad decision from Mendes' part.

oh ffs

*User criticizes Skyfall or SPECTRE* > *TripAces dismisses it as unfair criticism with no arguments*

*User shows appreciation to Arnold* > TripAces dismisses it as unfair appreciation with no arguments*

We're so lucky we have the truthful and infallible TripAces on our boards and I'm glad for that.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Precisely.

More like bad decision from Mendes' part.

oh ffs

*User criticizes Skyfall or SPECTRE* > *TripAces dismisses it as unfair criticism with no arguments*

*User shows appreciation to Arnold* > TripAces dismisses it as unfair appreciation with no arguments*

We're so lucky we have the truthful and infallible TripAces on our boards and I'm glad for that.

Grow up.
  • Walecs wrote: »

Preach.

Preach.

Nothing to preach.

Do we need to see SF & SP criticism in EVERY thread I ask thee?

Or about any other Bondmovie?
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 198
    David Arnold never came one bit close to anything John Barry composed!

There is melody, there is air, there are foreign/exotic instruments, there is dynamics, but never ever Barry produced a wall of sound. His music breathes, all of his romantic pieces as well as his action pieces.

Many action pieces by Arnold are a complete ugly wall of sound and full of ugly cheap pc games electronics. His more easy or romantic pieces are rare, but never touches the brilliance of Barry.

So no, please no Arnold. His sound is absolete. Get us Hurwitz or a likewise composer.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    JamesCraig wrote: »

Preach.

Nothing to preach.

Here here. It's getting obnoxious at this point. I get they're just trolling, but seriously...
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    If Arnold were to return hopefully we'll hear some snippets of Vesper's theme, You Know My Name and Night at the opera in the score.

Interesting. I am not sure how that would play out, given that SP included parts of the SF score, and posters here have been bitching about it ever since. LOL

But back to the issue at hand: I trust CJF. It is his film. EON is likely giving him creative control, and they will not make significant demands on the composer. The fact that Romer was chosen in the first place should signal whose film this is.

So from that standpoint, some of you need to calm down. Even if Romer has left, it is unlikely that CJF would bring in Arnold. First of all, he knows better; secondly, and more importantly, he doesn't want his film's creative components connected to Bond films of old. He's making his own film.

+1 this, people here really need to calm down and stop behaving like a child.
    May be reading far too much into things (and I know I made this mistake earlier in the year), but Arnold -- who is active on Twitter often, and fairly consistently -- hasn't Tweeted anything today.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    JamesCraig wrote: »

Preach.

Nothing to preach.

You're too stupid to even understand what I meant. LOL
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Michael and Babs at the wrap party:

“Promises to be the best Bond ever.”