The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    rwjp9nP.jpg

Ferrari 365GT from 1969. =D>
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Never been a fan of Ferrari, but if somone were to gift me a 400, I wouldn't object. ;)

ferrari-occasion-99155-1.jpg
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    edited October 2019 Posts: 858
    I second the Ferrari statement, when they sit down and think about a proper Grand-Tourer, amazing things happen:
    14568500-3.jpg

The 612 stole my heart when it was introduced, especially when it's Blu Tour de France over tan like this one. Such a shame the 612 is the last real GT, and the last truly beautiful Ferrari imo.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 3,497
    I like most Ferraris right up until the 612.

After that one, it took me until the 812 GTS before I could finally say "beautiful" again (not counting some one offs).

But their dashboards since the California remain awful.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I find most Ferraris OK, but a few stand out. Like the 365 GT 2+2 "Queen Mary" from @JamesCraig 's posting above. Its predecessor, the 330 GTC, is equally hot:

8962327-1-4.jpg&width=960

From the 70s-80s I most like the 365 GT/4 Berlinetta:

Ferrari-365-GT4-Berlinetta-Boxer-1.jpg

And my all-time favorite is the 365 GTB/4 Daytona:
    ferrari_365_gtb_4_daytona_837.jpeg

zebrafish wrote: »
    I find most Ferraris OK, but a few stand out. Like the 365 GT 2+2 "Queen Mary" from @JamesCraig 's posting above. Its predecessor, the 330 GTC, is equally hot:

8962327-1-4.jpg&width=960

From the 70s-80s I most like the 365 GT/4 Berlinetta:

Ferrari-365-GT4-Berlinetta-Boxer-1.jpg

And my all-time favorite is the 365 GTB/4 Daytona:
    ferrari_365_gtb_4_daytona_837.jpeg

=P~ =P~
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    71704514_2419599274835067_507286047688753152_n.png?_nc_cat=106&_nc_oc=AQmIcMDr7fRlG-QFLrEoFFgGvwRCaxJQyy7b3KuUaVi0Rf0jDEFoYBaqpMb1dNnDC9Y&_nc_ht=scontent.ffcm1-2.fna&oh=826f52a4a11caab6c0570a5d3333621d&oe=5E26295E

I love Photoshop.
    71704514_2419599274835067_507286047688753152_n.png?_nc_cat=106&_nc_oc=AQmIcMDr7fRlG-QFLrEoFFgGvwRCaxJQyy7b3KuUaVi0Rf0jDEFoYBaqpMb1dNnDC9Y&_nc_ht=scontent.ffcm1-2.fna&oh=826f52a4a11caab6c0570a5d3333621d&oe=5E26295E

I love Photoshop.

Yep much better.

;)

The DBX will get a "standard AM" grille it seems.
    So... PSA and FCA will merge...

I don't know if this is a good thing, but I still believe that Opel will be killed off soon.
    Why would they kill a brand that sells as well as Citroen? If anything, then sales in Peugeots fell dramatically (simple google search). When Fiat merged with Chrysler, was either of them killed off? I think that Opel has such a strong history that they will keep the name alive. The current model line looks fresher than most Peugeots and Fiats anyway.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 3,497
    Why would they kill a brand that sells as well as Citroen? If anything, then sales in Peugeots fell dramatically (simple google search). When Fiat merged with Chrysler, was either of them killed off? I think that Opel has such a strong history that they will keep the name alive. The current model line looks fresher than most Peugeots and Fiats anyway.

Maybe but the sales of Opel aren't what the used to be, at least not where I live.

If not Opel, then Chrysler. Either way, one brand will be axed.

Citroën's current cars are almost all ugly imho.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 4,311
    Those were the days... Somehow I never really like Opel/Vauxhall, but they had some models that I grew fond of over the years. Small Muscle-Cars for Europeans.

3722987625_94a94a3226_b.jpg
    OpelManta_A1900_04-1199x799.jpg
    au1215-237226_2.jpg?1449682523000

Those were the days... Somehow I never really like Opel/Vauxhall, but they had some models that I grew fond of over the years. Small Muscle-Cars for Europeans.

Ah yes, the small Corvette...

:-?

My neighbours' first car when they moved next to us in 1986, the Rekord E. I don't remember if it was an E1 or E2, but the color is correct:

77Z0N1H.jpg

edited October 2019 Posts: 4,311
    Those were VERY popular in Germany. Still, I would not want one as a classic car, even if you could find one that resisted the rust. VW and Opel used very cheap steel in the 80s, my father's VW T4 bus rusted away while you looked at it.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 8,655
    I think that the merger of FCA and PSA doesn't really have that much bearing on Opel, as compared to the situation after having sold Opel to PSA in the first place.

I myself owned an Opel Kadett C as my second car ever. It was a bright yellow two-door, and whatever I know about car mechanics is due to this vehicle. Just about everything went wrong while I owned it ( it was a '76, which I bought in '79 and got rid of in '82...for a new Kadett D that had a few problems too but was ok overall...until I found I could afford leasing a BMW 316i in 1989.)

At the present time, I actually own an FCA car: A 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee (along with an 11-year old BMW 330d Convertible (E93).
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    wasn't the Kadett D design sold to daewoo?

I never really liked Opel, allthough an ex had a corsa A 1.4 which would do 170k/h on the highway with backwind as it was so light. One of the more scary rides.

I never really liked Opel, allthough an ex had a corsa A 1.4 which would do 170k/h on the highway with backwind as it was so light. One of the more scary rides.

A friend had a Corsa once, a 1.2. I'll post a picture of a similar one tomorrow.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 8,655

Well, one of the crazy ideas by General Motors was to introduce Daewoo cars on the German (or European) market, as a low-price alternative...to their own Opels, among others. I remember their multi-million dollar attempts to tell people how to pronounce Daewoo ("Day-yoooooo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo", to the tune of Belafonte's Banana Boat), and they sold those Daewoos for, I'd say, about 8 years...when they suddenly decided to rename them all to Chevrolet. It apparently didn't work (everybody could see they had nothing to do with the U.S. brand, really), so even before selling Opel/Vauxhall to PSA, they decided to quit selling those South Korean Chevies altogether.

At any rate, minus the troubles with my Kadett C, I don't think Opel made any worse cars than any of the others. And as for wind troubles, I used to have that 1992 Mazda MX-5 for 16 years. Loved it. Still the best and most reliable and most fun car ever for me. But VERY susceptible to high winds, weighing in at only about 800 kgs. But hey, do I have to go more than 180 kmh? Not really, not anymore.

PS (on the edit date): I just now realised I wrote "North Korean Chevies" at the end of my first paragraph initially. It didn't go THAT far, so I corrected it to "South".
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I remember their multi-million dollar attempts to tell people how to pronounce Daewoo ("Day-yoooooo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo", to the tune of Belafonte's Banana Boat)

Ha! We got "That'll be the Daewoo" in the UK.
    JamesCraig wrote: »

A friend of mine had a Corsa once, a 1.2. I'll post a picture of a similar one tomorrow.

RK9lfcx.jpg
    The Corsa was a good car as a „first“ car.
    The Corsa was a good car as a „first“ car.

Yeah my buddy really liked it.

His next car was a Renault Mégane, but let's not get into that, shall we. =;
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

I don't know, I like the look on that tonale and though I might not like it, the market is hot for cross-out eh- over kind of vehicles. It sure looks good to me. I like the throwback design. Still, I'm hopeful my next car will be a Guilia.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 3,497

I don't know, I like the look on that tonale and though I might not like it, the market is hot for cross-out eh- over kind of vehicles. It sure looks good to me. I like the throwback design. Still, I'm hopeful my next car will be a Guilia.

Oh yes, the Tonale does look good.

But they are in desperate need of more models, and that 8C rendering looked awesome. :(

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/alfa-romeo-scraps-plans-new-gtv-and-8c-models

The Lancia Ypsilon sold more during the first 9 months of this year in Italy than Alfa in Europe:

45.783 versus 39.114.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2019 Posts: 14,861

My neighbours' first car when they moved next to us in 1986, the Rekord E. I don't remember if it was an E1 or E2, but the color is correct:

77Z0N1H.jpg

Cool; that was a Vauxhall Carlton in the UK.

And of course lead to this monster:

LOTUS-CARLTON.jpg

The Story of the Lotus Carlton
    186mph and faster accelerating than a then-current Ferrari Testarossa! :)
    mtm wrote: »

77Z0N1H.jpg

Cool; that was a Vauxhall Carlton in the UK.

And of course lead to this monster:

LOTUS-CARLTON.jpg

The Story of the Lotus Carlton

That is one brilliant car I say.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The Lotus Carlton was an out and out beast of a car. Demon hellspawn on four wheels.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

Well, one of the crazy ideas by General Motors was to introduce Daewoo cars on the German (or European) market, as a low-price alternative...to their own Opels, among others. I remember their multi-million dollar attempts to tell people how to pronounce Daewoo ("Day-yoooooo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo", to the tune of Belafonte's Banana Boat), and they sold those Daewoos for, I'd say, about 8 years...when they suddenly decided to rename them all to Chevrolet. It apparently didn't work (everybody could see they had nothing to do with the U.S. brand, really), so even before selling Opel/Vauxhall to PSA, they decided to quit selling those South Korean Chevies altogether.

At any rate, minus the troubles with my Kadett C, I don't think Opel made any worse cars than any of the others. And as for wind troubles, I used to have that 1992 Mazda MX-5 for 16 years. Loved it. Still the best and most reliable and most fun car ever for me. But VERY susceptible to high winds, weighing in at only about 800 kgs. But hey, do I have to go more than 180 kmh? Not really, not anymore.

PS (on the edit date): I just now realised I wrote "North Korean Chevies" at the end of my first paragraph initially. It didn't go THAT far, so I corrected it to "South".

A soon to be classic: the Daewoo Nexia!

ZCCyrbV.jpg

=))

Oh yes, the Tonale does look good.

But they are in desperate need of more models, and that 8C rendering looked awesome. :(

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/alfa-romeo-scraps-plans-new-gtv-and-8c-models

The Lancia Ypsilon sold more during the first 9 months of this year in Italy than Alfa in Europe:

45.783 versus 39.114.

True, but that's only because they're selling the Ypsilon for dump prizes in Italy. Alfa hasn't done that bad at all, for Alfa.

I do regret the 8C not going into production. I guess that as long as these brands are part of monster companies, they're bound to only come up with 'sensible' models, only to lose their heritage and dissapear (see Saab, and soon Lancia, as the Ypsilon is it's last stand).