Breaking Bad/El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (2019) Discussion

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Oh awesome! I have cut the cable cord so I watched all the seasons on Netflix. I love Saul Goodman and seeing his evolution. Been great to see other characters we know and love pop up and see their back story developed.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    I can't wait for this movie.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    HOLY SHIT. I am very excited for this. BB is the greatest TV show in history. It had the perfect story. I do wonder if it will tie to BCS with the Gene story line. I would not be mad also if Walter lived. The TV show can still be the best ever with him actually being alive. I know Gilligan said he hates fake outs so I dont think Walter is alive but I could see Walter in flashbacks.

I think he'll definitely be in it via flashbacks/hallucinations. No way they'd do this without getting Bryan Cranston back somehow. But no chance is he alive. There's nowhere left for him to go at all. After "I did it for me" and him finally finishing all those Scarface parallels with the ending (isn't there a scene where he's literally sat watching it at some point? If it wasn't obvious before then that made it pretty clear how the show would end), I think his story is done.

I don't see how they could go down the route of him being alive anyway even if he wanted to. His cancer was back, the bullet had at least immobilised him even if it hadn't killed him and he was surrounded by police. Even if he was rushed to a hospital, had lifesaving surgery and his cancer went back into remission, he'd be in prison with no chance of escape. The last real criminal contacts he had were the nazis and he killed them. So there'd be no way for him to be involved in Jesse's story now if he was alive.

You make very good points and your right his story is done. There really wouldn't be any purpose for him to still be alive. But if he were I trust VG to do it well. Gilligan has never let me down with his writing.
  • fjdinardo wrote: »
    HOLY SHIT. I am very excited for this. BB is the greatest TV show in history. It had the perfect story. I do wonder if it will tie to BCS with the Gene story line. I would not be mad also if Walter lived. The TV show can still be the best ever with him actually being alive. I know Gilligan said he hates fake outs so I dont think Walter is alive but I could see Walter in flashbacks.

I think he'll definitely be in it via flashbacks/hallucinations. No way they'd do this without getting Bryan Cranston back somehow. But no chance is he alive. There's nowhere left for him to go at all. After "I did it for me" and him finally finishing all those Scarface parallels with the ending (isn't there a scene where he's literally sat watching it at some point? If it wasn't obvious before then that made it pretty clear how the show would end), I think his story is done.

I don't see how they could go down the route of him being alive anyway even if he wanted to. His cancer was back, the bullet had at least immobilised him even if it hadn't killed him and he was surrounded by police. Even if he was rushed to a hospital, had lifesaving surgery and his cancer went back into remission, he'd be in prison with no chance of escape. The last real criminal contacts he had were the nazis and he killed them. So there'd be no way for him to be involved in Jesse's story now if he was alive.

You make very good points and your right his story is done. There really wouldn't be any purpose for him to still be alive. But if he were I trust VG to do it well. Gilligan has never let me down with his writing.

Someone on twitter went back and counted the bodies in the final scene after the police radio in the trailer said there were nine. Apparently there were 8 nazis. So the ninth must be Walt. So he's definitely dead.
    Between this and The Irishman, Netflix is killing it. I can't wait!

Someone on twitter went back and counted the bodies in the final scene after the police radio in the trailer said there were nine. Apparently there were 8 nazis. So the ninth must be Walt. So he's definitely dead.
    Are they counting Todd too?
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    bondbat007 wrote: »

Agreed! Any idea on when the new Season of Better Call Saul will be on Netflix? I binged that show and am waiting for a new season!
    @bondbat007 - I don't know why - but I have a sneaking suspicion the new Bill & Ted film might end up going straight to Netflix...
    thedove wrote: »
    bondbat007 wrote: »

Agreed! Any idea on when the new Season of Better Call Saul will be on Netflix? I binged that show and am waiting for a new season!

April 2020 is the rumored date.
    I need to watch the TV series first le alone the movie!!! :))
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Its 62 episodes and you will be hooked. I finished the series in less than 2 weeks.
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Its 62 episodes and you will be hooked. I finished the series in less than 2 weeks.

Thanks for the heads up, but the Mr's has me decorating at the moment! :))
    Hey everybody! Just letting you know El Camino dropped on Netflix today!!
    I watched it last night. Aaron Paul deserves every award he could possibly win for this. Without going into too many spoilers - Jesse Pinkman's journey from put upon victim into snarling anti-hero is incredible to watch.

This really comes with my highest recommendation. Superb.
  • BondStu wrote: »
    I watched it last night. Aaron Paul deserves every award he could possibly win for this. Without going into too many spoilers - Jesse Pinkman's journey from put upon victim into snarling anti-hero is incredible to watch.

Can Netflix films qualify for oscars? Because he definitely deserves it if they can.

Brilliant film. Perfectly written, directed and acted. Everything I wanted and didn't know I needed. I thought Breaking Bad wrapped everything up perfectly but in hindsight Jesse's ending was actually very open ended (what if he was immediately arrested?). He deserves as an ending as fitting as Walt's, so I'm glad they made this and gave him that.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited October 2019 Posts: 3,497
    Watching it now.

It's brilliant. Lovely little cameos too. Todd still creeps me out! ;-)
    BondStu wrote: »

Can Netflix films qualify for oscars? Because he definitely deserves it if they can.

Yes they can. Theres already talks of The Irishman being nominated.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 1,964
    Mod Edit. Such amazing writing and story telling. Vince Gilligan is an absolute genius. El Camino doesn't effect the legacy of Breaking Bad at all. Oh and Aaron Paul deserves an Oscar for his performance.

@fjdinardo - couldn't agree more. I wish there was some way to do spoiler tags so I could discuss my favourite moment in depth. But out of respect to those here who've not seen it - I must bite my tongue.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Works for me. I figure most fans would've seen it by now but give it a few more days then it should be open for business with a warning in the title noting spoilers are ahead.
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    Sorry but I don't get it - why would anyone click on this thread, knowing that the film is out but not having actually watched it? Discuss away, I say...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Tokoloshe2 wrote: »
    Sorry but I don't get it - why would anyone click on this thread, knowing that the film is out but not having actually watched it? Discuss away, I say...

Welcome to the forums. I don't get it, either.
  • I thought it was great for what it was. An epilogue for Jesse's story. And I'm satisfied with the ending!
  • Okay well I'm going to assume that talking about it is fine as long as we use spoiler tags, right? Because I want to rave about the diner scene.
    Walt's line about Jesse not having to wait all his life to do something special. Jesse looking back puzzled at him, as if to say is that really how you see what we're doing. Beautifully summed up the two of them in one little moment. Brilliant.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 373
    Oh wow! I didn't realise we could do spoiler tags! SUPERB - right! AWAY I GO!!!
    My FAVOURITE moment was the western style shootout at the end. IT BLEW ME AWAY!! (please forgive the pun). It was a cathartic moment - and it was the moment where Jessie stopped being a victim and became a TRUE anti-hero. I absolutely LOVED it. I was SO ROOTING for him at this point. Aaron Paul's acting was incredible. Not one INCH of fear or nervousness on his face. Just a little smile. It was at that EXACT POINT that I knew El Camino was a masterpiece.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 3,273
    My take on the new movie....
    It was a big mistake not bringing Walt back into the story. I know why Vince Gilligan did this, to give Jesse's character closure, but from such an exciting final series episode, this fell flat, and didn't hold up in comparison to what had gone before it.

BB without Walt doesn't work, and El Camino clearly demonstrated this. The reason why the series worked was mainly down to Bryan Cranston and the character he portrayed, watching Walt change, and the world around him evolve as the series progressed. It was also all the other surrounding characters that made BB work too. Losing all of them, and just focusing on Jesse was the reason why I felt it didn't work.

Had VG gone done the route of Walt somehow surviving, then escaping on the run with Jesse, that would have been far more exciting and enjoyable to see. I think deep down the fans know this too, and eventually there will be a backlash on this movie, once the hype dies down.
    It was a big mistake not bringing Walt back into the story. I know why Vince Gilligan did this, to give Jesse's character closure, but from such an exciting final series episode, this fell flat, and didn't hold up in comparison to what had gone before it.

BB without Walt doesn't work, and El Camino clearly demonstrated this. The reason why the series worked was mainly down to Bryan Cranston and the character he portrayed, watching Walt change, and the world around him evolve as the series progressed. It was also all the other surrounding characters that made BB work too. Losing all of them, and just focusing on Jesse was the reason why I felt it didn't work.

Had VG gone done the route of Walt somehow surviving, then escaping on the run with Jesse, that would have been far more exciting and enjoyable to see. I think deep down the fans know this too, and eventually there will be a backlash on this movie, once the hype dies down.

The film you want sounds terrible.
    M_Blaise wrote: »

The film we got was terrible.
    M_Blaise wrote: »

The film we got was terrible.
    Doesn't change how awful bringing a character back to life would be.