The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    This has probably been discussed before, in which case if anyone can direct me to the right place to look please do...

At what point does Blofeld realise who Bond is in OHMSS? A kilt and a pair of glasses isn’t much of a disguise, so Blofeld ought to recognise him straight away, but I suppose we are expected to accept the ruse and go with it. Then again, quite a few of Blofeld’s comments do seem loaded, as if he’s ‘in the know’ and wanting Bond to know he knows. Does Campbell give the game away? Or is it really his Augsburg slip up?

I’m assuming there isn’t a definitive answer, but anyone any theories?

I'd say a bit of both. The slip up probably made Blofeld suspicious and made him realize that the man in his lair is not Sir Hilary Bray, but it is probably Campbell who told Blofled Bond's name.
    Walecs wrote: »
    This has probably been discussed before, in which case if anyone can direct me to the right place to look please do...

At what point does Blofeld realise who Bond is in OHMSS? A kilt and a pair of glasses isn’t much of a disguise, so Blofeld ought to recognise him straight away, but I suppose we are expected to accept the ruse and go with it. Then again, quite a few of Blofeld’s comments do seem loaded, as if he’s ‘in the know’ and wanting Bond to know he knows. Does Campbell give the game away? Or is it really his Augsburg slip up?

I’m assuming there isn’t a definitive answer, but anyone any theories?

I'd say a bit of both. The slip up probably made Blofeld suspicious and made him realize that the man in his lair is not Sir Hilary Bray, but it is probably Campbell who told Blofled Bond's name.

Exactly,Campbell would have been tortured for information,for sure.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Yeah, Campbell doesn’t look like the sort of man who could stand up to much interrogation ... I imagine all Irma Bunt has to do is lean over his shoulder and he’ll be blabbering like a baby.
    Yeah, Campbell doesn’t look like the sort of man who could stand up to much interrogation ... I imagine all Irma Bunt has to do is lean over his shoulder and he’ll be blabbering like a baby.

So would I !!!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I once wrote a piece about how there is only one James Bond film. Continuity is very hit and miss in so many of the Bond films. In FRWL Bond discusses how once when he was with M in Tokyo. Yet in YOLT, Henderson asks Bond if he's ever been to Japan before, to which Bond replies, no never.
    All of these films of course were released before the advent of VCR, DVD and BluRay. This was a time when you couldn't watch a Bond film whenever you liked, so such lines and occurrences weren't so noticeable. Characters are re-cast. Fleming novels filmed out of order. Many elements of the books tossed aside. To me, the film is whatever you want it too be. If you want too go with Campbell was tortured and gave up Bonds name, then that's fine. There's no answer given, so it's up to us the viewer.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    So would I !!!
    hehe!!
    12304855_ori.jpg
    Benny wrote: »
    I once wrote a piece about how there is only one James Bond film. Continuity is very hit and miss in so many of the Bond films. In FRWL Bond discusses how once when he was with M in Tokyo. Yet in YOLT, Henderson asks Bond if he's ever been to Japan before, to which Bond replies, no never.
    All of these films of course were released before the advent of VCR, DVD and BluRay. This was a time when you couldn't watch a Bond film whenever you liked, so such lines and occurrences weren't so noticeable. Characters are re-cast. Fleming novels filmed out of order. Many elements of the books tossed aside. To me, the film is whatever you want it too be. If you want too go with Campbell was tortured and gave up Bonds name, then that's fine. There's no answer given, so it's up to us the viewer.

I always think that Bond was being flippant re Tokyo in FRWL,just to wind M up,hence his reply to Henderson.
    To me, the film is whatever you want it too be. If you want too go with Campbell was tortured and gave up Bonds name, then that's fine. There's no answer given, so it's up to us the viewer.

@Benny yeah you're right, I just wasn't sure if there were any little hints that I'd missed that might lead more to one conclusion over another. I thought Bond was always sailing a bit close to the wind with his interactions from the start e.g asking Bunt if she was from a naval family straight off, mentioning guns make him nervous, he wants to leave his mark on the world/characteristic ambition etc - almost as if he were challenging them to identify himself.

I find it quite an interesting game when watching the film to 'guess when Bond is sussed' ... and like you say, so many possible answers!
    He does have that knowing look about him whenever they meet.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I always had the impression that Blofeld knew all along.

If Lazenby just hadn t gone to Connery s barbershop, and bought the same Rolex, he might have fooled him.

Yeah, Blofeld himself says Campbell is "such a brilliant conversationalist" - and I'm sure that, no matter how pain tolerant one may be, Blofeld surely has his way to make one talk.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Yeah, Blofeld himself says Campbell is "such a brilliant conversationalist" - and I'm sure that, no matter how pain tolerant one may be, Blofeld surely has his way to make one talk.

A hypnotic tape is all it takes.
    Blofeld himself says Campbell is "such a brilliant conversationalist".

Ah ye, that’s a good spot, I reckon it’s probably the sum of all the clues but Campbell definitely dots the I’s and crosses the T’s. Blofeld really could have made a fortune out of his hypnotherapy DVDs and food intolerance pills ... much easier than hijacking all those nuclear missiles!
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    A question from GE...why have a second station in Cuba for the Goldeneye satellite? I don't get the logic of a second command station and don't understand why they wouldn't have both stations in Russia, why even have special stations at all? Couldn't the station be folded into another base?
    thedove wrote: »
    A question from GE...why have a second station in Cuba for the Goldeneye satellite? I don't get the logic of a second command station and don't understand why they wouldn't have both stations in Russia, why even have special stations at all? Couldn't the station be folded into another base?

During the cold war the russians had missiles in Cuba for attacking the USA (Cuban missile crisis) so it could have been linked that way
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Good point, or could be a reason to have Bond travel to somewhere sunny! LOL!

Exactly. And Campbell cracking under pressure is what gives Bond away in the book as well. Bond's bedhopping clinched Blofeld's suspicions. As for the Augsburg mistake, it's the film's biggest continuity howler (Bond is not actually mistaken), and perhaps would have been eliminated if there had been more time in post-production.

Revelator wrote: »
    [As for the Augsburg mistake, it's the film's biggest continuity howler (Bond is not actually mistaken), and perhaps would have been eliminated if there had been more time in post-production.

@Revelator could you expand on that please as I’ve not heard that before.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    In the film Blofeld says the Beauchamp archives are not in the Augsburg cathedral, but in the St.Anna Kirche. Sir Hilary Bray would've known.
    However, Bond is only repeating the information about Augsburg from Sir Hilary.
    Unless Bray is on the pay of Blowers, then it's a slip up on the writers part.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Never heard about this mistake before. Interesting and strange.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    That's quite an interesting thought which had never occurred to me. But judging from the OHMSS transcripts available on the web there is no mention of the "cathedral" at all until Blofeld tells Bond that the tombs are in a different church and he should have known. Sir Hilary only mentions that there are Bleuchamp tombs in Augsburg, not in a particular place there. Come to think of it, it's even more of a goof.
    In the film Blofeld says the Beauchamp archives are not in the Augsburg cathedral, but in the St.Anna Kirche. Sir Hilary Bray would've known.

@Benny Yeah I thought that would be what Revelator is referring to, but that’s something I’ve checked in the past myself and Bond is only told to take him to Augsburg. So I assumed Bond has incorrectly assumed it’s the cathedral (or misremembered his research) rather than the St Anna Kirche - which is also in Augsburg (although there’s probably plenty of other St Anna Kirches in Switzerland). So rather than a goof it could be a valid slip-up on Bond’s part that Blofeld can pick up on.
    Forget that, @j_w_pepper has already said it.

@Benny Yeah I thought that would be what Revelator is referring to, but that’s something I’ve checked in the past myself and Bond is only told to take him to Augsburg. So I assumed Bond has incorrectly assumed it’s the cathedral (or misremembered his research) rather than the St Anna Kirche - which is also in Augsburg (although there’s probably plenty of other St Anna Kirches in Switzerland). So rather than a goof it could be a valid slip-up on Bond’s part that Blofeld can pick up on.

That's the way I look at it,its a personal cock up by Bond himself .
    He was too presumptuous as to where the location was and got caught out.
    Blofeld himself says Campbell is "such a brilliant conversationalist".

Ah ye, that’s a good spot, I reckon it’s probably the sum of all the clues but Campbell definitely dots the I’s and crosses the T’s. Blofeld really could have made a fortune out of his hypnotherapy DVDs and food intolerance pills ... much easier than hijacking all those nuclear missiles!

Yeah, but where would the fun be? :D
    Revelator wrote: »

Exactly. And Campbell cracking under pressure is what gives Bond away in the book as well. Bond's bedhopping clinched Blofeld's suspicions. As for the Augsburg mistake, it's the film's biggest continuity howler (Bond is not actually mistaken), and perhaps would have been eliminated if there had been more time in post-production.

Indeed. Bond tries to convince Blofeld that Campbell has mistaken him for his cousin because the two of them were identical, but Blofeld doesn't seem to buy it and Bond decides to escape Piz Gloria before Blofeld eventually arrests him.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    ...it’s the cathedral (or misremembered his research) rather than the St Anna Kirche - which is also in Augsburg (although there’s probably plenty of other St Anna Kirches in Switzerland). So rather than a goof it could be a valid slip-up on Bond’s part that Blofeld can pick up on.
    Augsburg is not in Switzerland, but in Bavaria. And yes, it could be a "valid slip-up" by Bond, but as far as I can see from the transcript, there is also no scene where Bond mentions the cathedral in the movie at all, so Blofeld's objection seems to come out of the blue altogether.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Augsburg is not in Switzerland, but in Bavaria.

That’s my mistake, sorry I should have checked.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    And yes, it could be a "valid slip-up" by Bond, but as far as I can see from the transcript, there is also no scene where Bond mentions the cathedral in the movie at all, so Blofeld's objection seems to come out of the blue altogether.

Well, it’s either a gaff or a plot point (that’s not been very well executed). Gaff doesn’t sit right with me - Bond invites him to Augsburg, but a specific building isn’t mentioned. However I tend to imagine there’s been some other interaction outside of the filmed scenes where Bond has erroneously mentioned the cathedral, or has made written reference to it in all the paperwork he’s supposed to be preparing.

But of cause it’s all the interpretation, and that’s down to the individual.

I think it’s been an interesting discussion so far, even if no conclusions can be drawn! Overall, for my own personal ‘solution’ I think I’m going with Blofeld having had his suspicions from the start and then shenanigans such as Angel seductions and Augsburg confusion has strengthened this. Campbell was then the perfect opportunity to confirm his suspicions for definite.

Thanks for all the replies, and if anyone has any other ideas keep them coming!

• edited October 2019 Posts: 12,242
    More useful for trivia than anything else, but I’m curious if anyone here knows - how many times does Bond actually say his codename “007” throughout the films? I struggle to think of any right now, outside the time in TB to Felix.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    More useful for trivia than anything else, but I’m curious if anyone here knows - how many times does Bond actually say his codename “007” throughout the films? I struggle to think of any right now, outside the time in TB to Felix.

He definitely mentions ‘007 here’ when reporting in after the training mission incident in the pre-title sequence of TLD. I’m sure someone else will have the definitive answer tho.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Isn't it “007 reporting for duty“ in Skyfall?