Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

Comments

• edited September 2019 Posts: 1,661
    It's possible Dark Fate may trip over itself like GENIYS. We'll have to wait and see.

You could argue a continuation of Terminator Salvation was the natural progression for the franchise because that was about the future after the war but even that is fraught with potential continuity problems.

I would have preferred a complete reboot. Have Terminator 6 set in 2020 and no Sarah Connor/John Connor/T-800. You start from scratch with all new characters. It's still a challenge to reinvent the franchise - there's only so many ways a robot can hunt a human (!) - but a full reboot would allow screenwriters to forget the Connor family and Schwarzenegger's T800 character.

If the franchise is to endure over the next 10 - 20 years a full reboot would seem inevitable but that will depend on decent box office. You could argue the opposite point of view. Perhaps the franchise should end. It's told the story - no need to reboot it/rehash it. Disney has the excuse that Star Wars has a global fanbase - there's big money to be made out of continuing Star Wars but it's doubtful there's a large enough fanbase for many more Terminator films. My gut feeling is Dark Fate won't do huge box office.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I agree. I feel the series has burned up a lot of goodwill, and that will impact DARK FATE's box office regardless of how good or bad it is.

• edited September 2019 Posts: 1,637
    Arnie should do an actioneer called "Party poopah" :D

Thug : Im so sick and tired of you sabotaging my plans !

Arnie (with bazooka) : Dont be a party poopah

*presses button and blows thug in pieces*

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Haha! So tough! So dramatic!

Here is a tough traffic warden.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2019 Posts: 23,105

17+ Rating
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

A couple of Rev-9 sequences do look cool, I may go and watch this
  • I'd be excited for the "ignore everything after T2" approach if they hadn't already just done that with the last film.

Now if they wanted to do that with Aliens I could get on board with it, because we never really got a good ending to that story. But we didn't really need another Terminator film after T2 anyway, and they've had more than enough chances to get a sequel right. I haven't really hated any of them but they don't need to exist imo.

This one doesn't look that great to me either. All the hype of this being the true sequel but it looks more like Genysis than anything else imo. Big ariel action scene that seems to be entirely CGI, twist on "I'll be back" at the end of the trailer, Judgement Day has been moved forward to a later date but not stopped. It literally looks like the same film.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    To be fair this has every right to ignore the other movies since it's produced by James Cameron, but admittedly this doesn't look very interesting. I think I will probably enjoy it less than T3 and Salvation.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Walecs wrote: »
    To be fair this has every right to ignore the other movies since it's produced by James Cameron

That would have meant something in the 90s and early 2000s. Now the man prefers style over substance.
    To be fair this has every right to ignore the other movies since it's produced by James Cameron

That would have meant something in the 90s and early 2000s. Now the man prefers style over substance.

This. I know he's had a hand in the past couple of installments but I just can't take his word optimistically any longer after praising something as awful as Genisys. This doesn't look to be any better.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

This. I know he's had a hand in the past couple of installments but I just can't take his word optimistically any longer after praising something as awful as Genisys. This doesn't look to be any better.

This looks far better to me, but I still can't shake the "why bother" mentality. I'm still going to check it out because I'm foolishly thinking they'll surprise me on account of Hamilton coming back. The John Connor stuff may sink it from the off, though.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Am i the only one who is excited for this film? I am starting to think i am...
    The butthurt over this movie has been off the charts.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 8,009
    00Agent wrote: »

It has, for sure. I take little notice of any of the backlash about people's comments etc. My sole worry is a narrative one and whether they manage to justify the film's existence after so much time. I'm keeping expectations low as a defence mechanism. :P

The action looks pretty good and I like the look of the Rev-9.

For good reason - it looks about as generic as Genisys was and the earlier reports, pre-production, of how different it would be, akin to the earlier titles, doesn't seem to be the case. Flat acting, bad CGI, likely some awful twists to try and shake up the timeline.

I, too, will end up seeing it eventually because I enjoy torturing myself apparently, but it's not something I'll rush to see in theaters or likely even pay for. I'll likely always remain hopeful that the series can get back on track and deliver something truly special again, but at the same time I sort of wish they would let things die out already and quit bothering.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 5,185

It has, for sure. I take little notice of any of the backlash about people's comments etc. My sole worry is a narrative one and whether they manage to justify the film's existence after so much time. I'm keeping expectations low as a defence mechanism. :P

The action looks pretty good and I like the look of the Rev-9.

That's fair enough, and of course people can always have their doubts or suspicions about a film and all that, but the conversation around this film was borderline ridiculous.

To me only one thing matters.
    The first two films in the series are so amazing because they have an atmosphere that is unmatched by the sequels, there is a sense of dread and looming apocalypse.
    3 was lame comedy, 4 was already done with the apocalypse so why bother, and 5 was... god why does this movie exsist again?

Cameron said they are bringing exactly that atmosphere back.
    If they can pull that off believably, then all the other elemens (narrative, pacing, action) will hopefully fall in place.

Look, i have my doubts about too much cgi and all that stuff too, but i think their heart is in the right place. And i am more than intrigued about what they did with Arnold this time around. The John Conner stuff doesn't bother me at all. I knew this would happen as soon as Linda Hamilton was announced. I thought it was a genious idea.

Literally the only thing i am genuinly worried about at this stage is the soundtrack.
    The T2 soundtrack is a monumental achievement. I hope they don't do generic BS this time.
    I'd be excited for the "ignore everything after T2" approach if they hadn't already just done that with the last film.

Now if they wanted to do that with Aliens I could get on board with it, because we never really got a good ending to that story. But we didn't really need another Terminator film after T2 anyway, and they've had more than enough chances to get a sequel right. I haven't really hated any of them but they don't need to exist imo.

This one doesn't look that great to me either. All the hype of this being the true sequel but it looks more like Genysis than anything else imo. Big ariel action scene that seems to be entirely CGI, twist on "I'll be back" at the end of the trailer, Judgement Day has been moved forward to a later date but not stopped. It literally looks like the same film.
    Hype of this being the true sequel? First time I hear about that. Where did get that idea from?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited October 2019 Posts: 45,489
    Sometimes a trailer makes much more impact in a cinema. The new Star Wars trailer was all right online, but in the cinema it gave me goosebumps.

As for this Terminator movie, it made no difference. Somewhat uninteresting just the same.
    If they can pull that off believably, then all the other elemens (narrative, pacing, action) will hopefully fall in place.
    I don´t know if Cameron really said as much, but I dare say the trailers are proof enough that this has not much to do with the atmosphere of the first two films.

boldfinger wrote: »
    I don´t know if Cameron really said as much, but I dare say the trailers are proof enough that this has not much to do with the atmosphere of the first two films.

If there is one thing that Trailers can never convey convincingly, it's atmosphere.

And yes, Cameron literally said that. I am not the type of guy who just makes stuff up (i hope, well, for the most part.)
    0:20

In this video the quote is an alternate vesion where he said, "this film has recaputerd the tone of the first two films" at 1:05:

If there is one thing that Trailers can never convey convincingly, it's atmosphere.

And yes, Cameron literally said that. I am not the type of guy who just makes stuff up (i hope, well, for the most part.)

In this video the quote is an alternate vesion where he said, "this film has recaputerd the tone of the first two films" at 1:05:

To be fair, he did say that about the last one too.

Fair enough, but he didn't work on the last one though.
    Hey, this film might be horrible, but i'll give it a chance.
    He's the originator after all. He made those first two movies great.
    Maybe he lost it completely. This movie will show.
    It's their last chance and they know it.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 8,009

Fair enough, but he didn't work on the last one though.
    Hey, this film might be horrible, but i'll give it a chance.
    He's the originator after all. He made those first two movies great.
    Maybe he lost it completely. This movie will show.
    It's their last chance and they know it.

I agree. I think this most definitely is the last hurrah. A lot of the goodwill from the series' original fans has dissipated over the last decade, and I personally think they'll struggle to bring in the new generation. Regardless of how good the film is, I'm expecting it to have a hard time at the box office.

I'm giving it my €10 because it's Arnie and Linda back together. They had me at that.

I don't disagree, but that's completely irrelevant.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Terminator: Dark Fate clocking in at 2 hours & 8 minutes.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

I don't feel it is. This movie isn't being sold on its own merits (on its substance), but the fact that Cameron is producing, that it's set after T2, that Arnie and Linda Hamilton are back, and almost everything but ths movie itself. Say what you will about Salvation, a criminally underrated movie in my opinion, at least it was sold because of what it was and not who put it together.

I don't feel it is. This movie isn't being sold on its own merits (on its substance), but the fact that Cameron is producing, that it's set after T2, that Arnie and Linda Hamilton are back, and almost everything but ths movie itself. Say what you will about Salvation, a criminally underrated movie in my opinion, at least it was sold because of what it was and not who put it together.

Again I don't disagree. I'm just saying that I can't blame Cameron for wanting to ignore the movies he didn't make.
    It really should of stayed a Duology eventually I will sit down and see 4 5 and maybe even Dark fate but I got off this train with Rise of the machines...
    Risico007 wrote: »
    It really should of stayed a Duology eventually I will sit down and see 4 5 and maybe even Dark fate but I got off this train with Rise of the machines...
    Cameron himself said back in the day that he wanted a third installment set in the future. His fault if he had more important things to do.