NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    This thread was never not hilarious. The mods have been taking turns in overseeing this kindergarten full of babies craving a teaser trailer more than a fresh diaper and using their wildest fantasies and theories for a pacifier. We're particularly fond of the loudest of these babies, the ones who always seem to know something with 100% (or 99%) certainty, yet none of their predictions have yet come true. This thread really is hilarious!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    This thread was never not hilarious. The mods have been taking turns in overseeing this kindergarten full of babies craving a teaser trailer more than a fresh diaper and using their wildest fantasies and theories for a pacifier. We're particularly fond of the loudest of these babies, the ones who always seem to know something with 100% (or 99%) certainty, yet none of their predictions have yet come true. This thread really is hilarious!

41f90dd87881f7d3a838ba9f6395fab2b857ae2c.jpg

Is this the pacifier you had in mind, @DarthDimi ? ;-)
    The only think I 'drop' are my trousers.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 23,449
    barryt007 wrote: »

And you're doing that way too often, @barryt007; we've talked about this! ;-)

Regarding the delayed teaser/trailer releases, I think EON is strategically planning a blitzkrieg. Some films are announced with loudness and party flags a year in advance. Some trailers are shown endlessly months in advance. At a given point, you risk audience fatigue even before the film is released. Subconsciously, people feel like they've spent more than enough time with the film already and refuse to go see it. Imagine if EON releases an aggressive campaign just weeks in advance. It might get people suddenly hyped up.

Of course, I don't really know what EON is doing; maybe they are waiting for some yet-to-film money shots before they release any promotional material. But meanwhile, the various presses--professional and otherwise--keep talking about the next Bond film no matter what. Others are creating all the necessary buzz for them. Either way, in the end, they will release the trailer when they do. And we get to unwrap our presents when we do. No need to be impatient.
    if you are all like that, then perhaps this petition would be the stuff you need to indulge in:

https://www.change.org/p/eon-productions-hear-fans-out-for-a-moment-about-the-uncertain-future-of-the-james-bond-franchise-now-director-danny-boyle-has-left

At least I tried to verbalize fan's worries in such a way that they in essence remain positive and respectful towards EON.

Why would you do this? Why? Is this the curse of the Internet?

How do you even expect EON will respond, @GertGettler? I mean, seriously?
    1. We are fans and no matter how many times they say that god should bless us, they honestly don't care about us, let alone about that even smaller minority you're representing.
    2. Even if they feel motivated to respond to you, they still won't. If they did, everyone would start their own petitions online, demand ("politely request") answers and expect to get them. They're not going down that slippery slope. Were you drunk when you decided this was a good idea?
    3. You're lecturing them! I feel embarrassed just reading that petition. Who are YOU compared to THEM? You're seriously going to tell people three times your age and a million times more experienced in the filmmaking business what's what and then demand ("politely request") to share their thoughts with you? Have things gotten to your head? We're like Jehova's Witnesses to them: they'll slam the door shut in your face and stay mad at you for the rest of their lives over the 25 seconds of their precious time you have stolen from them.

This is the highest form of arrogance I can think of. Nothing you do, ask, want, beg for or politely ask is going to make the least bit of difference. More than that, a petition? You realise what that is? It means that like some no-good labour union you're all but bringing the pitch forks out. It means you're organising, borderline rallying the troops against them. It's one thing to petition to please have the MR score released in full. It's something else entirely to address the two lead producers directly (even though it's also extremely naive to think they'll ever even read your petition, but that's besides the point) and demand satisfaction. You say you've used a positive and respectful tone?

"But we do hope EON Productions can finish the work on other film projects swiftly, because Her Majesty’s Secret Agent is not only worthy of your attention but of all those other Bond fans with sincere worries."

This is utterly despicable.

"I kindly await any kind of reply to the above arguments, no matter how small or insignificant they are. 'Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool', is the title of the upcoming new production from EON. I would like to add that film stars never die, no matter where they live. On the contrary, every lover of cinema, every Bond fan, should be seen as one of many thousands of film stars; film stars with worthy and practical ideas and solutions."

And this is hilarious and senseless dribble.
    if you are all like that, then perhaps this petition would be the stuff you need to indulge in:

https://www.change.org/p/eon-productions-hear-fans-out-for-a-moment-about-the-uncertain-future-of-the-james-bond-franchise-now-director-danny-boyle-has-left

At least I tried to verbalize fan's worries in such a way that they in essence remain positive and respectful towards EON.

This gave me a good laugh.

I'm still not sure whether to laugh or cry, @Thunderfinger, but I can tell you one thing: this is embarrassing!
    Don't worry, @DarthDimi, they will never, ever read something like that ;) And thank heavens for that.
  • If it is indeed attached to Gemini Man, then we should get some kind of announcement tonight to expect the trailer tomorrow. I really doubt they'll wait till Friday to drop it online if it is playing in cinemas by that point.............................

However, we may have to face the reality that it isn't coming this week. Next week has two big releases Maleficent 2 (which doesn't feel appropriate) and Zombieland 2(more appropriate).Howevr, the Star Wars trailer is coming next week and will play with Maleficent. So we should rule next week out.

Which means it comes the following week or the week after, which means the NTTD will arrive with Terminator: Dark Fate.

giphy.gif

It feels like such a slog to wait another 2 weeks. However, if it were to come with that film, it would still sync up perfectly with th SF promotional campaign. Remember that trailer didn't drop till late May. Only 5 months before the release!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2019 Posts: 15,686
    It's a pretty safe bet that the teaser trailer for NTTD will arrive on the Wednesday or Thursday before Terminator: Dark Fate. As said before, the teaser trailer for SF came out 159 days before the film came out, and October 30th/October 31st are both 161 and 160 days before April 8, 2020.

The question now is what the window of release for the full theatrical trailer will be. In time for Star Wars 9 seems too short now (1.5 months after Terminator 6), so maybe somewhere around Bad Boys 3 in January?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited October 2019 Posts: 8,009

1. We are fans and no matter how many times they say that god should bless us, they honestly don't care about us, let alone about that even smaller minority you're representing.
    2. Even if they feel motivated to respond to you, they still won't. If they did, everyone would start their own petitions online, demand ("politely request") answers and expect to get them. They're not going down that slippery slope. Were you drunk when you decided this was a good idea?
    3. You're lecturing them! I feel embarrassed just reading that petition. Who are YOU compared to THEM? You're seriously going to tell people three times your age and a million times more experienced in the filmmaking business what's what and then demand ("politely request") to share their thoughts with you? Have things gotten to your head? We're like Jehova's Witnesses to them: they'll slam the door shut in your face and stay mad at you for the rest of their lives over the 25 seconds of their precious time you have stolen from them.

This is the highest form of arrogance I can think of. Nothing you do, ask, want, beg for or politely ask is going to make the least bit of difference. More than that, a petition? You realise what that is? It means that like some no-good labour union you're all but bringing the pitch forks out. It means you're organising, borderline rallying the troops against them. It's one thing to petition to please have the MR score released in full. It's something else entirely to address the two lead producers directly (even though it's also extremely naive to think they'll ever even read your petition, but that's besides the point) and demand satisfaction. You say you've used a positive and respectful tone?

"But we do hope EON Productions can finish the work on other film projects swiftly, because Her Majesty’s Secret Agent is not only worthy of your attention but of all those other Bond fans with sincere worries."

"I kindly await any kind of reply to the above arguments, no matter how small or insignificant they are. 'Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool', is the title of the upcoming new production from EON. I would like to add that film stars never die, no matter where they live. On the contrary, every lover of cinema, every Bond fan, should be seen as one of many thousands of film stars; film stars with worthy and practical ideas and solutions."

I'm still not sure whether to laugh or cry, @Thunderfinger, but I can tell you one thing: this is embarrassing!

And in the same breath, @DarthDimi, we get this in another thread.
    Then just give a link to the Lashana Lynch topic. I think I wasn't making 'false' comparisons. I think even us fans get too worked up from a little thing like teaser posters. Expectations are so insanely high on the new Bond-film. And compared with a certain lack of patience, we put ourselves in the shoes of the actual official NTTD-marketeers, like we fans know what's better? Criticizing a t.e.a.s.e.r. poster with both pro's and con's is one thing, damning all aspects of it, producing fan art that's 'better' and even losing positivity because 'we didn't get a trailer' is something else.

So I think it's a perfect valid discussion. But let's continue this in the topic about Lashana Lynch (the female '007').

Re: the trailer, if if arrived with TERMINATOR: DARK FATE, I'd be cool with that. Those two weeks will fly in and it'd give me the added push to see Dark Fate, considering I'm on the fence about it. Linda Hamilton and James Bond might be too hard to turn down.
  • It's a pretty safe bet that the teaser trailer for NTTD will arrive on the Wednesday or Thursday before Terminator: Dark Fate. As said before, the teaser trailer for SF came out 159 days before the film came out, and October 30th/October 31st are both 161 and 160 days before April 8, 2020.

The question now is what the window of release for the full theatrical trailer will be. In time for Star Wars 9 seems too short now (1.5 months after Terminator 6), so maybe somewhere around Bad Boys 3 in January?

Probably will come in time for Sam Mendes' 1917 (another Universal film)........................................

A drop the week after Xmas and before New Year's is always good as people are all doing nothing except sitting at home eating and watching Netflix.
    I still think they should wait till Star Wars for the teaser and leave the full trailer till next week. With Christmas and the New Year, I figured they would want something in their pocket to generate buzz about the film again in 2020.
    It's a pretty safe bet that the teaser trailer for NTTD will arrive on the Wednesday or Thursday before Terminator: Dark Fate. As said before, the teaser trailer for SF came out 159 days before the film came out, and October 30th/October 31st are both 161 and 160 days before April 8, 2020.

Probably will come in time for Sam Mendes' 1917 (another Universal film)........................................

A drop the week after Xmas and before New Year's is always good as people are all doing nothing except sitting at home eating and watching Netflix.

There were 71 days between SF's teaser (May 21st) and SF's trailer (July 31st). If the NTTD teaser does drop in the same timeframe as SF's (so on the 30th/31st of October for Terminator 6), a 71 days gap takes us to January 8th. That week has The Informer, Like a Boss, My Spy and Underwater getting released. Which is why I assume a January 17th release for the trailer is better, in time for Bad Boys 3.

As for 1917, it only gets a very limited Oscar run in December, the wide release won't be until mid-January. So if the wide release for 1917 is on January 8th, then it falls exactly in the same timeframe as SF.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited October 2019 Posts: 8,009
    I still think they should wait till Star Wars for the teaser and leave the full trailer till next week. With Christmas and the New Year, I figured they would want something in their pocket to generate buzz about the film again in 2020.

Something to keep in mind is that we may also get a Final Trailer around the start of March.

There were 71 days between SF's teaser (May 21st) and SF's trailer (July 31st). If the NTTD teaser does drop in the same timeframe as SF's (so on the 30th/31st of October for Terminator 6), a 71 days gap takes us to January 8th. That week has The Informer, Like a Boss, My Spy and Underwater getting released. Which is why I assume a January 17th release for the trailer is better, in time for Bad Boys 3.

As for 1917, it only gets a very limited Oscar run in December, the wide release won't be until mid-January. So if the wide release for 1917 is on January 8th, then it falls exactly in the same timeframe as SF.

Good shout re: 1917
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

r/gatekeeping
  • GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona

Hey hey @DarthDimi. Mind your words eh? If you read the letter in full, I didn't even utter one disrespectful word or vocabulary. And sometimes even a fan prefers to verbalize his/her worries in a more respectful letter than tons of posts in a forum. Disagreeing is one thing, but mind your wordings a bit Dimitri. Not necessary to belittling me, because that's what you're doing (same in the Eurovision topic). No hard feelings, but I just had to say it ☺️.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    edited October 2019 Posts: 524
    It feels like such a slog to wait another 2 weeks. However, if it were to come with that film, it would still sync up perfectly with th SF promotional campaign. Remember that trailer didn't drop till late May. Only 5 months before the release!

I think I know why we have this feeling that it's such a long wait. I agree that when you look back at Skyfall, that teaser came 'late' too, but no one seemed to mind. Yet when it comes to NTTD, most of us get the feeling that it's taking so long.

And that's because there's a difference: yes, SF's teaser was released 5 months before the release of the film, but it wasn't the only thing they put up during that period. They had 7 (!) short video blogs in the mean time.

The title and cast announcement was on November 3rd, 2011. Then we had a first video blog of Sam Mendes talking on February 21st, 2012. Two on the 10th of April (interviews with Berenice and Naomie), a fourth with more interviews on the 12th of April, a production update from Shanghai on the 19th of April, a Turkey update on the 29th of April, update by Dennis Gassner on the 3rd of May, and then the teaser on the 21st of May.

You get where I'm going. If we compare that to the production updates on NTTD, we had the cast reveal on the 25th of April 2019. The look at Jamaica on the 25th of June. And the title announcement at the 20th of August. Say that the teaser is indeed released with Terminator, it's the week of the 21st in the UK or the week of the 28th in the US.

They can give us the trailer whenever they want, sure, but I think why we've been agitated, is that we didn't get much in between. We haven't heard Cary speaking on camera about the film since the announcement. No interviews with the Bond girls since their roles became clearer. And yes, SF's teaser showed Silva in shadows, but Bardem *did* give an interview on his time on the film before that. We haven't seen Malek on set once. We don't know what the different departments are up to. That has always been one of my favourite parts of these blogs: hearing people like Gassner, Corbould, Powell, Temime talking about what they're doing.

And you might say: yes, but Cary's been updating us via Instagram. True, but to me it doesn't feel the same. I'm sure he's very enthusiastic about working on the film and the cast is too, but to me it just doesn't pack enough punch, those posts of his, compared to those video blogs which contained shots from the actual film while they were filming it. That Jamaica blog was pretty good to get us pumped and talking, but I'd hoped they'd follow it up with an Italy one. It would ease the wait a bit.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 15,686

Something to keep in mind is that we may also get a Final Trailer around the start of March.

Good shout re: 1917

Also worth noting: a trailer that came out on January 17th 2019 that earned a huge online buzz was the first trailer for John Wick 3. So yes, if NTTD misses the December mark for its full theatrical trailer, then it isn't the end of the world. I am only assuming it won't get a 2nd trailer in December if the teaser comes out in the final days of this month.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »

And you're doing that way too often, @barryt007; we've talked about this! ;-)

Regarding the delayed teaser/trailer releases, I think EON is strategically planning a blitzkrieg. Some films are announced with loudness and party flags a year in advance. Some trailers are shown endlessly months in advance. At a given point, you risk audience fatigue even before the film is released. Subconsciously, people feel like they've spent more than enough time with the film already and refuse to go see it. Imagine if EON releases an aggressive campaign just weeks in advance. It might get people suddenly hyped up.

Of course, I don't really know what EON is doing; maybe they are waiting for some yet-to-film money shots before they release any promotional material. But meanwhile, the various presses--professional and otherwise--keep talking about the next Bond film no matter what. Others are creating all the necessary buzz for them. Either way, in the end

Finally a post on this thread that isn't ridiculous. Whatever happened to patience?
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    It’s still early. Let’s see what today brings.
  • So we know that Ana De Armas was filming yesterday and then went to the Knives Out premiere.........check out my boy, Cary’s comments on her photo. He is trying to hit. What a legend.
    4lvb9WR_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
    He needs to get his spelling sorted out,that's not the way you spell 'impossible' haha !
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2019 Posts: 5,834
    I wasn’t going to get involved but oh well, looks like I am. So @GertGettler, you started a whole petition about getting the producers to listen to the fans and basically saying interact with us because we know what’s best, but you’re being quite hypocritical. On the poster thread, you have persistently started a debate regarding the constant critisticism of the poster, right?

So how would you feel if I sent a petition and letter to the designer of the poster, explaining how it’s time to listen to the fans about what they want, when actually I should be thinking about how seeing all the critical comments, opinionated or not, I wonder how the actual producers of the films thinks about all this. I prefer to back, support the people who are making the film. Sometimes supporting 'the elite' ain't all that to get back to more civilized debate and respect for those working their buts off trying to make the best film of the franchise.

While your intentions may not have been to insult them, your words and the fact that you’ve attempted this letter in the first place unfortunately come across that way, and it feels like that maybe you should apply the same thought process to this as you have the poster debate.

P.S: @Pierce2Daniel I’m still holding out hope that Ana will be playing a proper femme-fatale ala Fiona Volpe :)
  • GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I wasn’t going to get involved but oh well, looks like I am. So @GertGettler, you started a whole petition about getting the producers to listen to the fans and basically saying interact with us because we know what’s best, but you’re being quite hypocritical. On the poster thread, you have persistently started a debate regarding the constant critisticism of the poster, right?

So how would you feel if I sent a petition and letter to the designer of the poster, explaining how it’s time to listen to the fans about what they want, when actually I should be thinking about how seeing all the critical comments, opinionated or not, I wonder how the actual producers of the films thinks about all this. I prefer to back, support the people who are making the film. Sometimes supporting 'the elite' ain't all that to get back to more civilized debate and respect for those working their buts off trying to make the best film of the franchise.

While your intentions may not have been to insult them, your words and the fact that you’ve attempted this letter in the first place unfortunately come across that way, and it feels like that maybe you should apply the same thought process to this as you have the poster debate.

P.S: @Pierce2Daniel I’m still holding out hope that Ana will be playing a proper femme-fatale ala Fiona Volpe :)

I know buddy. I am utterly ridiculous. It's true actually. I should shut up more often. Sorry. Let's get back on topic a bit and forget me please. I realize how much bad blood I am sowing -again-. And obviously I am realizing it when it's a bit too late. Sorry guys.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Sorry folks, Gert shot his bolt.

Let's keep the discussion on track.
  • barryt007 wrote: »
    He needs to get his spelling sorted out,that's not the way you spell 'impossible' haha !

A moot point, but the misspelling was in Ana's tweet, not Cary's :)

No, it's meant to be "imposible". If you can't "pose", you're "imposible". Come on, @barryt007, I expected better from you. ;-) Besides, who cares about spelling anyway?

funny-spelling-mistakes-errors-fails-120-586e0ba1f1a26__605.jpg

And also:

Doctor on!
    (verb: Just doctor on, my friend, doctor on.)

From Russia with Lofe
    (Middle English, look it up)

Coltfinger
    (when Bond decides it's time for a new weapon)

Thunderbowl
    (a.k.a. a toilet)

Yo, Only Live Twice!
    (when Bond good to da hood)

On Her Majesty's Secrete Service
    (because even She must release Her liquids once in a while)

Diamonds Are For Eva
    (See, Eva has an expensive taste. What can I say?)

Live and Let Dye
    (It's the very motto the Kardashians live by.)

The Man With The Golden Gum
    (... "and he's stickier than your"--okay, I'll stop!)

The Spy who Loved Mie
    (Who doesn't love noodles?)

Moonreeker
    (Hey, maybe the moon isn't smelling too well, what do I know?)

For Your Ayes Only
    (Affirmative!)

Octopus
    (Because what if those pimples just don't get popped?)

A Few To Kill
    (I count three: Justin Bieber's career and ... okay, only one then.)

The Living Delights
    (a.k.a. the lovely girls at the train station who kindly keep asking me if I am looking for a good time, sailor.)

Licence To Quill
    (because I'm bloody tired of using pencils, that's why.)

GoldenAisle
    (It's how I will get married)

TomorrowNeverDries
    (Yeah, that basically sums up the weather in the UK)

The World Is Not A Nuff
    (But whatever a "nuff" may be, I'm sure @Thunderfinger is one.)

Die Another Day
    (Because the entire title is actually one big spelling mistake. The film was originally going to be called "Bondman and Moonbin")

Casino Royal
    (a professional gambler)

Quantum of SOLAS
    (It's an Irish education thing. Look it up: An tSeirbhís Oideachais Leanúnaigh agus Scileanna. Anyway, you will accept a quantum of it, whether you like it or not.)

Skifall
    (My knee still aches, every . single . day; twice as bad when it is cold. I never should have gone to Aspen.)

Scepter
    (Bond's "scepter" is, after all, legendary amongst women.)

No Time To Fly
    (because hey, you just might miss the trailer if you do and that would be a major disaster!)
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 19,339
    It was a tongue in cheek comment ,you peasants ;)

Looks like @GertGettler has been banned.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »

No, it's meant to be "imposible". If you can't "pose", you're "imposible". Come on, @barryt007, I expected better from you. ;-) Besides, who cares about spelling anyway?

funny-spelling-mistakes-errors-fails-120-586e0ba1f1a26__605.jpg

And also:

Doctor on!
    (verb: Just doctor on, my friend, doctor on.)

From Russia with Lofe
    (Middle English, look it up)

Coltfinger
    (when Bond decides it's time for a new weapon)

Thunderbowl
    (a.k.a. a toilet)

Yo, Only Live Twice!
    (when Bond good to da hood)

On Her Majesty's Secrete Service
    (because even She must release Her liquids once in a while)

Diamonds Are For Eva
    (See, Eva has an expensive taste. What can I say?)

Live and Let Dye
    (It's the very motto the Kardashians live by.)

The Man With The Golden Gum
    (... "and he's stickier than your"--okay, I'll stop!)

The Spy who Loved Mie
    (Who doesn't love noodles?)

Moonreeker
    (Hey, maybe the moon isn't smelling too well, what do I know?)

For Your Ayes Only
    (Affirmative!)

Octopus
    (Because what if those pimples just don't get popped?)

A Few To Kill
    (I count three: Justin Bieber's career and ... okay, only one then.)

The Living Delights
    (a.k.a. the lovely girls at the train station who kindly keep asking me if I am looking for a good time, sailor.)

Licence To Quill
    (because I'm bloody tired of using pencils, that's why.)

GoldenAisle
    (It's how I will get married)

TomorrowNeverDries
    (Yeah, that basically sums up the weather in the UK)

The World Is Not A Nuff
    (But whatever a "nuff" may be, I'm sure @Thunderfinger is one.)

Die Another Day
    (Because the entire title is actually one big spelling mistake. The film was originally going to be called "Bondman and Moonbin")

Casino Royal
    (a professional gambler)

Quantum of SOLAS
    (It's an Irish education thing. Look it up: An tSeirbhís Oideachais Leanúnaigh agus Scileanna. Anyway, you will accept a quantum of it, whether you like it or not.)

Skifall
    (My knee still aches, every . single . day; twice as bad when it is cold. I never should have gone to Aspen.)

Scepter
    (Bond's "scepter" is, after all, legendary amongst women.)

No Time To Fly
    (because hey, you just might miss the trailer if you do and that would be a major disaster!)

This just made my day. Maybe my week.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I wonder if the teaser will have any action in it or instead be a tense scene with some dialogue over the top?

I would prefer a Skyfall style teaser personally, because I think Spectre revealed too much too soon
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I agree @Jordo007, I don’t need story, I just want some good visuals with a good look at locations and characters :)