NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

And right you were, @Denbigh, right you were.
    Have to say I’m very surprised they didn’t release the trailer last week, I was certain.
    Yes, I was too. I think it's a foregone conclusion it's coming this week. There's no value in holding it any longer, particularly since the theatrical trailer will need to be out in a little more than two months for Star Wars.
  • I'm quite shocked they didn't release it for Global James Bond Day. This isn't me whining or criticizing. Just stating my genuine surprise. Oh well. All good things to those who wait :)
  • I'm quite shocked they didn't release it for Global James Bond Day. This isn't me whining or criticizing. Just stating my genuine surprise. Oh well. All good things to those who wait :)

The notion of releasing it on GJBD was simply wishful thinking by fans. Primarily, it demonstrates the naivety and lack of commercial awareness many members here possess.

Whilst we may have a romantic connection to the notion of a ‘Global James Bond Day’, from a business perspective dropping a trailer on a Saturday almost guarantees to nullify interest or attention. If there was a major sporting event, then sure, drop it. But without any kind of incentive, it would not generate “buzz”. It would essentially disappear.

Trailers and marketing campaigns are planned months in advance. The plan was to always release it in October. Probably with Gemini Man. That film is released globally on Thursday……………..so expect something either today, Tuesday or Wednesday.

Basically, it was never coming on the 5th - but it most likely is coming this week!

The notion of releasing it on GJBD was simply wishful thinking by fans. Primarily, it demonstrates the naivety and lack of commercial awareness many members here possess.

Whilst we may have a romantic connection to the notion of a ‘Global James Bond Day’, from a business perspective dropping a trailer on a Saturday almost guarantees to nullify interest or attention. If there was a major sporting event, then sure, drop it. But without any kind of incentive, it would not generate “buzz”. It would essentially disappear.

Trailers and marketing campaigns are planned months in advance. The plan was to always release it in October. Probably with Gemini Man. That film is released globally on Thursday……………..so expect something either today, Tuesday or Wednesday.

Basically, it was never coming on the 5th - but it most likely is coming this week!

This, absolutely. Didn't think for one minute we would get the trailer on the 5th.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    If it doesn’t come this week, what would be the next major release they’d attach it to? Terminator? Star Wars seems kind of late for the teaser, but then again who knows what they’re planning.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Think on your sins
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Commercially speaking, Joker is an Award winning massive worldwide phenomenon while Gemini Man an announced flop. On the other hand releasing only the poster on JBD made obvious sense, of course.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Today (as written out here in the US) is 10/7...or, 1-007. Just leaving that out there.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    edited October 2019 Posts: 524
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    If it doesn’t come this week, what would be the next major release they’d attach it to? Terminator? Star Wars seems kind of late for the teaser, but then again who knows what they’re planning.

If not Gemini Man, then probably Maleficent 2 the week after.

With the hype of (Global) James Bond Day gone, I can actually see them releasing it next week and not this week, as Maleficent is bound to attract larger audiences than Gemini Man. Terminator is R-rated, so I doubt they'd go for that, similar to the discussion we had with Joker.

Star Wars is too late for the teaser, IMO. I know @antovolk has his mind set on the first full trailer to be released with that film. I'm a bit more sceptic about that now. If the teaser is indeed for this week, there'll be 10 weeks between the teaser and first full trailer. Seems to me that that is too short.

Alternatively, and this going to sound very weird and is just me freewheeling, they could redo the teaser completely (stuff some shots from the Italy shoot in it, as @ggl007 said he'd heard), and release it as the first full trailer in time for Star Wars. But that would mean we don't get a teaser. Which is probably not happening, but I'd like to hold all options open.

With the hype of (Global) James Bond Day gone, I can actually see them releasing it next week and not this week, as Maleficent is bound to attract larger audiences than Gemini Man. Terminator is R-rated, so I doubt they'd go for that, similar to the discussion we had with Joker.

Star Wars is too late for the teaser, IMO. I know @antovolk has his mind set on the first full trailer to be released with that film. I'm a bit more sceptic about that now. If the teaser is indeed for this week, there'll be 10 weeks between the teaser and first full trailer. Seems to me that that is too short.

Alternatively, and this going to sound very weird and is just me freewheeling, they could redo the teaser completely (stuff some shots from the Italy shoot in it, as @ggl007 said he'd heard), and release it as the first full trailer in time for Star Wars. But that would mean we don't get a teaser. Which is probably not happening, but I'd like to hold all options open.

Are we sure they wouldn't wait for a teaser with Star Wars and release a full trailer early next year?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2019 Posts: 15,686

The first teaser for SF arrived on May 21, 2012. SF premiered on October 26, 2012. That is a gap of 159 days.

If we count back 159 days from April 8, 2020, it gives us a date of November 2, 2019 (a Saturday). Which is one day after the release of Terminator: Dark Fate.

The first teaser for SF arrived on May 21, 2012. SF premiered on October 26, 2012. That is a gap of 159 days.

If we count back 159 days from April 8, 2020, it gives us a date of November 2, 2019 (a Saturday). Which is one day after the release of Terminator: Dark Fate.

Which is why a release period from now until Terminator: Dark Fate (and a bit beyond that) would make sense. My point was about Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, which I personally think is too late to debut a teaser trailer. Terminator could perfectly work, but the reason why they maybe won't is because of the presumed R-rating, not because of timing.
  • RC7RC7
    talos7 wrote: »

She actually said ‘massive surprises’, Screenrant choosing to reword it.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    RC7 wrote: »

She actually said ‘massive surprises’, Screenrant choosing to reword it.

Either way, her comments are intriguing.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    This article quotes

The Moneypenny actor isn't the only one who's impressed with No Time to Die's current story, either. The film's script was rewritten by Killing Eve and Fleabag creator Phoebe Waller-Bridge after Boyle stepped down,

Goodness sake.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    Would they drop a trailer without notice?
    I'm expecting a countdown and date announcement.
  • HMBFFHMBFF Lisboa, Portugal
    edited October 2019 Posts: 204

Can we just take a moment to appreciate Naomie Harris? Since coming on board the franchise, Naomie has been one of the greatest ambassadors of Bond. Always positive and enthusiastic. She’s the Miss Moneypenny we deserve :)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    HMBFF wrote: »

Can we just take a moment to appreciate Naomie Harris? Since coming on the board the franchise, Naomie has been one of the greatest ambassadors of Bond. Always positive and enthusiastic. She’s the Miss Moneypenny we deserve :)
    Agreed. I just hope she's given better material this time.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 524
    Would they drop a trailer without notice?
    I'm expecting a countdown and date announcement.

Me too, but i never expected a title announcement video to appear out of the blue, either.

But I don't think it'll be today, as 007.com's Focus Of The Week™ is Mollaka which they already had back in March. So I presume their Tweet of the Day™ is going to be that link and nothing else.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Good grief, of course media outlets fail in the preciseness of their reporting; rather than focusing on that , the actual quote is interesting.

““It’s a tie-up of Skyfall and Spectre. But with massive, massive surprises that even had me like, ‘Oh, wow!’ So I think we’re going to really shock people.”

Interesting points, @Pierce2Daniel ! It shows how little I know about the business of marketing a film :) Thanks for these clarifications. As I said, I wasn't angry - to get angry over something like that is a SERIOUS first world problem - but I was surprised. Now I realize I shouldn't have been!
  • skropper13skropper13 United States
    If this is to be believed and not just thought of as an actor trying to hype up oncoming work regardless of actual quality, it would make sense why EON has been so secretive this time round. Obviously after SP leaks it was destined but it feels as though they are being even more defensive of details then necessary. Getting a bit more excited now, but expect a very vague teaser 👍🏻
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Not today.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I’m not holding my breath for this week. History has taught us that when a teaser poster is revealed, a trailer is typically imminent. But we know they’re not playing by the rules this time around. I’ll genuinely be surprised if a trailer lands this week (or this month for that matter).
    skropper13 wrote: »
    If this is to be believed and not just thought of as an actor trying to hype up oncoming work regardless of actual quality, it would make sense why EON has been so secretive this time round. Obviously after SP leaks it was destined but it feels as though they are being even more defensive of details then necessary. Getting a bit more excited now, but expect a very vague teaser 👍🏻

Of course it is PR. Naomie Harris is very good at getting attention for speaking about Bond. That's what she is paid for. And of all the returning actors she is the best in promoting the franchise.

So "massive, massive surprises" and "we're going to really shock people" are phrases she uses, so that everybody talks about it.

I mean: what could a "massive surprise" be?
    Not even Bond having a child or Bond dying would be a massive surprise as lots of fans already fear something like this might happen. Even Madeleine being cloned would be no surprise after the "Genome of a Woman"-title rumor, before it became "No Time To Die".
    A massive suprise has to be something no one to this date ever thought of.
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    skropper13 wrote: »

Of course it is PR. Naomie Harris is very good at getting attention for speaking about Bond. That's what she is paid for. And of all the returning actors she is the best in promoting the franchise.

So "massive, massive surprises" and "we're going to really shock people" are phrases she uses, so that everybody talks about it.

I mean: what could a "massive surprise" be?
    Not even Bond having a child or Bond dying would be a massive surprise as lots of fans already fear something like this might happen. Even Madeleine being cloned would be no surprise after the "Genome of a Woman"-title rumor, before it became "No Time To Die".
    A massive suprise has to be something no one to this date ever thought of.
    Not necessarily. Any one of those items would count as a massive surprise to mass audiences which is whom she’s referring to. Im sure wasn’t thinking of what a sect of obsessive Bond fans huddled together on a fan forum would consider to be a surprise.
    100 hours or less until the trailer.