"Star Trek: Picard" (CBS All Access/Amazon Prime, 2020)

GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona
Like "Star Trek: Discovery" (https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/15933/star-trek-discovery-cbs-all-access-netflix-2017#latest) and "The Orville" (https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/18412/the-orville-fox-tv-2017-present#latest), this new Trek-series deserves it's own topic too. Like any other TV Series. I think there will be different audiences to each of these TV Series. And perhaps it will prevent the too simple "this is better than that series"-debate. A slightly more focused approach so to say ;-).

Having said that, I am tremendously looking forward to "Star Trek: Picard". Down below the first teaser trailer and the latest full trailer that was released this week. "Star Trek: Picard" will premiere Friday 24th of January 2020 on Amazon Prime and will run until Friday the 27th of March (season 1, 10 episodes).

Teaser trailer:

Full international trailer:

Screencaps:

X1mgX2i.jpg
NRNlImR.jpg
pNlaRhU.jpg
AhDugAV.jpg
oKL2IQ1.jpg
uYTfKzU.jpg
lJrn914.jpg
SkjbvM6.jpg
GB8dFzc.jpg
H06HOBG.jpg
nntsl74.jpg
20sKr42.jpg
ioU66mP.jpg
5JhQNc2.jpg
4bAS77j.jpg
obvtevy.jpg
YyIvLWs.jpg
NEtjtEy.jpg
zEcMIkD.jpg
OvEm9Iw.jpg
JtnRfSo.jpg
QjIGdWm.jpg
XrAwmBn.jpg
IgxqGjW.jpg
Z5tw3Uw.jpg
qzjtnMN.jpg
1YgkPer.jpg
vdkGb5O.jpg
34a0J96.jpg
TzCK4NK.jpg
mcUxjpa.jpg
bVuO16S.jpg
WqAESnI.jpg
MuPyroX.jpg
GwPsqbJ.jpg

Conclusions: This looks bloody awesome. It's filmed in a much warmer, friendlier way (color filter) as opposed to the more negative "Star Trek: Discovery". Also interesting. The first looks of Hugh -Three of Five- who had a pivotal role on TNG, Captain William Riker of the USS Titan and Counselor Deanna Riker-Troi. We also see the first images of a small class Romulan Bird of Prey, that was also briefly seen on ENT and TOS. Remarkable are also the new androids (will one of these get Data's implanted memory?) and what seems to be a family member of Picard? In any case...bring it on!

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    THIS is Stat Trek!
  • GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona
    talos7 wrote: »
    THIS is Stat Trek!

I must say, I am looking forward to this.

One advice: do not start watching as of January 24th. Go bingewatch all 10 episodes after March 27th 2020 when all episodes are available on Amazon for streaming. Only then you maximize "The Next Generation"-pleasure 😜😉.
    I wasn't looking this forwards to a Star Trek show in a long long time. But then again, I've always loved Jean-Luc Picard. It's interesting that Patrick Stewart hasn't aged a bit, but Jonathan Frakes has. A lot. Jeri Ryan looks about the same as well.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm not much of a huge TNG fan but I'm already looking more forward to Picard than the other show. Loved seeing the retro TOS Romulan ship. Where are those people saying "YOU CAN'T HAVE THAT IN 2019! THAT'S A 60's DESIGNED SHIP!" ;)
    Univex wrote: »
    I wasn't looking this forwards to a Star Trek show in a long long time. But then again, I've always loved Jean-Luc Picard. It's interesting that Patrick Stewart hasn't aged a bit, but Jonathan Frakes has. A lot. Jeri Ryan looks about the same as well.
    They could have spruced Frakes up a bit but I think he likes playing up the “curmudgeon Riker” in this one.

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    That‘s Not Admiral Janeway, is it?
    zebrafish wrote: »
    That‘s Not Admiral Janeway, is it?

Nope ;-)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited October 2019 Posts: 16,328
    She looked a bit like Beverly but I'm also guessing it's not her.
    Murdock wrote: »
    She looked a bit like Beverly but I'm also guessing it's not her.

I wouldn't be surprised though @Murdock, that given Seven of Nine's leading role on "Picard", that there will at least be a cameo of Kathryn Janeway. Last time, in "Nemesis", she was an Admiral. But who knows what she is now....
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Univex wrote: »

You reckon? I can easily see how Patrick Stewart has aged from a man of around 45- 50 to an old man in his late 70s. Maybe his exposure over the years with X Men has helped us see him age and therefore it hasn't jarred as much.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Because of his bald head Patrick Stewart always looked older than he actually was. He is 79 now and was 47 when he started on ST:TNG. I am amazed and delighted that he still is fit enough to play the role.
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Because of his bald head Patrick Stewart always looked older than he actually was. He is 79 now and was 47 when he started on ST:TNG. I am amazed and delighted that he still is fit enough to play the role.

Let's not forget, between the end of "Star Trek X: Nemesis" and "Star Trek: Picard" there's almost 20 years. That's quite some time; time that will age humans who are 60,and then 20 years later 80.

So it does make sense this show will be quite different from the events of the last four TNG-movies (and endings of DS9 and VOY). It also creates a valuable amount of unexplored backstory. From 2379 to around 2405 is a period a tremendous amount of geopolitical stuff could have happened with both Star Fleet and the Federation. Romulus, does it still exist? How about the Dominion? Is there a different attitude towards holograms and androids (one of the screenshot show a new android)? Seven and Hugh? What has Janeway done to her protégé Seven? And what about Riker's command of the USS Titan?

In short: the creators of Star Trek will find out that making a sequel (Picard) is way easier, narratively satisfying than creating a prequel (Discovery) with all its Canon issues.

Hence my advice: wait until March 27 2020 and then let's binge this one in full, so our Trek-'orgasms' will be even better 😜.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I think the only real problem I have with both trailers so far is just how uncanny valley Data's face looks. I can't tell if it's makeup or TV-budget deaging CGI, but everything about him looks off.

Props to Brent Spiner for being able to recreate his 1987-1994 voice, though. Even in Nemesis, he didn't sound like that.
    All of that said, Patrick Stewart has stayed remarkably fit.and still has a commanding presence.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 431
    All of that said, Patrick Stewart has stayed remarkably fit.and still has a commanding presence.

For me Picard (Stewart) has always been the man I would have liked to see as a Prime Minister or President. The way he talks, how he gives speeches...many human beings could learn from him. Therefore it saddens me to see men with very opposite characters and personalities are now leading nations.

This is one of my favourite speeches. We hear this…..organism in The White House talk a lot about witch hunts. But let's process this one and try to think what real witch hunts are:

And now? Mr Picard returns. Perhaps in a radical different way! But I believe in his virtues and that those ideals he won't give up, even if he's an aged man in "Star Trek: Picard". We live in difficult geopolitical times. Hence we need examples like Picard… Welcome back Jean-Luc Picard :-).

For me Picard (Stewart) has always been the man I would have liked to see as a Prime Minister or President. The way he talks, how he gives speeches...many human beings could learn from him. Therefore it saddens me to see men with very opposite characters and personalities are now leading nations.

This is one of my favourite speeches. We hear this…..organism in The White House talk a lot about witch hunts. But let's process this one and try to think what real witch hunts are:

Can’t resist political mudslinging where it isn’t necessary? It’s a Pathetic, and a quick way to poison a topic.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 431

Can’t resist political mudslinging where it isn’t necessary? It’s a Pathetic, and a quick way to poison a topic.

Hey...that was not my intention :-(. I just love the character Picard. Always been a big fan of TNG. And frankly, this is a pivotal scene from "The Next Generation". Must I not post a scene like that then? The chance is big Picard will continue his ideals in a different context, with a more rogue band of characters. But Picard is Picard. And frankly, you should blame Picard then, and not me.

Star Trek to me has always been a bit deeper then, let's say, Marvel or Star Wars. It is actually one of the reasons peoople criticized Discovery. Too much a series of fighting. Go rewatch some previous series. Even DS9. And you might be confronted a lot more with examples I just posted. That's Star Trek in its purest form.

Hey...that was not my intention :-(. I just love the character Picard. Always been a big fan of TNG. And frankly, this is a pivotal scene from "The Next Generation". Must I not post a scene like that then? The chance is big Picard will continue his ideals in a different context, with a more rogue band of characters. But Picard is Picard. And frankly, you should blame Picard then, and not me.

One of the weakest rationalizations that I’ve ever seen attempted, and you know it’s not the posting of a given scene that is the issue.
    Anyway, I’m moving on.

One of the weakest rationalizations that I’ve ever seen attempted, and you know it’s not the posting of a given scene that is the issue.
    Anyway, I’m moving on.

I think we heavily disagree on this one. But indeed, let's move on.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Yes, please keep politics out of these threads. Cross referencing to POTUS isn't necessary.
    NicNac wrote: »
    Yes, please keep politics out of these threads. Cross referencing to POTUS isn't necessary.

Okay sorry.
    Yes, this is a political “ Neutral Zone” 🖖
    Yes, this is a political “ Neutral Zone” 🖖

LOL, but the United Federation of Planets isn't thát neutral though ;). It's founded on certain principles.

Having said that, I am quite curious what has happened to the Neutral Zone in "Picard", seeing these three images of a small Romulan Bird of Prey.
    Yes, very intriguing. This is look so promising , I hope it delivers.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I think the only real problem I have with both trailers so far is just how uncanny valley Data's face looks. I can't tell if it's makeup or TV-budget deaging CGI, but everything about him looks off.

Props to Brent Spiner for being able to recreate his 1987-1994 voice, though. Even in Nemesis, he didn't sound like that.

It doesn't look like CGI to me, but rather a lot of make up/prosthetic applied. What really perplexes me though is the wig. That's what's really god awful to me. If his appearances are as brief as they seem to be, then I wish they had spent the money on the de-aging for those bits. WESTWORLD did a decent job with de-aging Anthony Hopkins.

They also seem to be using the eye contacts that were used in INSURRECTION and NEMESIS, rather than the previous films and show which kinda throws me off.

It doesn't look like CGI to me, but rather a lot of make up/prosthetic applied. What really perplexes me though is the wig. That's what's really god awful to me. If his appearances are as brief as they seem to be, then I wish they had spent the money on the de-aging for those bits. WESTWORLD did a decent job with de-aging Anthony Hopkins.

They also seem to be using the eye contacts that were used in INSURRECTION and NEMESIS, rather than the previous films and show which kinda throws me off.

Hopefully he’s a work in progress and will look better when aired.

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Not really counting on it, but I can at least shrug it off as just being part of Picard's dream.