Post a picture of yourself! :P

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Great photo gents. :-bd
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Benny wrote: »
    Great photo gents. :-bd

Thanks, @Benny

Huge honor for me, Marcos! We are really glad you enjoyed the experience!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Awesome pic, guys. Love the shirts too. \m/
    QBranch wrote: »
    Awesome pic, guys. Love the shirts too. \m/

Thanks, @QBranch It's one of the presents for all the assistants...
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    That's a great photo of you both! It's neat that you got to meet up like that. I believe it's the first time I've seen a picture of @ggl007. :)
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    67085100_2447081075351486_2814047355270070272_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_oc=AQlgCpF6Nk5W4wQTRfEGlr7E546MnW2_nacXdmhTdWTbgKqdEcWC_hKbcLacB661b20&_nc_ht=scontent-amt2-1.xx&oh=5bc125b9b232d000981a7859b0aa24b7&oe=5E116387

At Drax' estate Chantilly earlier this spring. McLaren GT for those interested, quite suitable for 007.
    Thank you, @Dragonpol After years and years talking online, it's an incredible experience meeting someone face to face. You should try... next year? ;) (I can assure you lots of Fleming and literary talk...)
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Thank you, @Dragonpol After years and years talking online, it's an incredible experience meeting someone face to face. You should try... next year? ;) (I can assure you lots of Fleming and literary talk...)

Yes, I'm sure it is a great experience indeed. I've not met any member here in person as yet, though I have briefly talked to one member over Skype in preparation for a podcast.

You never know, I may get the chance to visit your convention at some point! I'm wondering if the talks are all in Spanish?
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I've not met any member here in person as yet, though I have briefly talked to one member over Skype in preparation for a podcast.

You're overdue for a vacation in America. There are still a few nice people over there.

You never know, I may get the chance to visit your convention at some point! I'm wondering if the talks are all in Spanish?

Yes, but we can use subtitles or do translations. Last year we had Sylvan Whitthingham with us (daughter of Jack, lovely lady) and she talked in English and was translated to Spanish. It wasn't difficult.

Perhaps, you'd like to talk about John Gardner...? :D
    Revelator wrote: »
    I've not met any member here in person as yet, though I have briefly talked to one member over Skype in preparation for a podcast.

You're overdue for a vacation in America. There are still a few nice people over there.

Only just seen this. That would be nice. I've never had any doubts that there are plenty of nice people over there too. And you would be one of the first on my list of people to meet there! :)

Yes, but we can use subtitles or do translations. Last year we had Sylvan Whitthingham with us (daughter of Jack, lovely lady) and she talked in English and was translated to Spanish. It wasn't difficult.

That's good to know. I bought the book on Thunderball Sylvan wrote last year. Talking about John Gardner would be fine (I think all of his Bond novels are translated into Spanish?) as long as I didn't bore everyone to tears! I did talk about John Gardner on the Spybrary podcast earlier in the year and it was a lot of fun to do. :)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    With my Daughter on her 22nd Birthday. The best of times.

9PW9nbO.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Lovely girl you have, and you look like mafia.

I can't talk about it... :D
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    MartinBond wrote: »
    67085100_2447081075351486_2814047355270070272_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_oc=AQlgCpF6Nk5W4wQTRfEGlr7E546MnW2_nacXdmhTdWTbgKqdEcWC_hKbcLacB661b20&_nc_ht=scontent-amt2-1.xx&oh=5bc125b9b232d000981a7859b0aa24b7&oe=5E116387

At Drax' estate Chantilly earlier this spring. McLaren GT for those interested, quite suitable for 007.

Your car, I hope?
    Talking about John Gardner would be fine (I think all of his Bond novels are translated into Spanish?)
    Sadly, that's not the case :( For example, Never send flowers is not in Spanish... ;)
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    talos7 wrote: »
    With my Daughter on her 22nd Birthday. The best of times.

You both look great!
    Thank you, I appreciate it.

That's good to know. I bought the book on Thunderball Sylvan wrote last year. Talking about John Gardner would be fine (I think all of his Bond novels are translated into Spanish) as long as I didn't bore everyone to tears! I did talk about John Gardner on the Spybrary podcast earlier in the year and it was a lot of fun to do.
    Talking about John Gardner would be fine (I think all of his Bond novels are translated into Spanish?)
    Sadly, that's not the case :( For example, Never send flowers is not in Spanish... ;)

Ah, I see. I wasn't at all sure although I have seen a few foreign covers of the Gardner Bond novels over the years. Perhaps there isn't a big demand for the continuation novels in Spain? That's a pity about Never Send Flowers. Spain is missing out... ;)
    And neither Trigger Mortis, nor Forever and a Day has been officially translated... :(
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    talos7 wrote: »

I can't talk about it... :D

Of course. Omerta.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 17,728
    And neither Trigger Mortis, nor Forever and a Day has been officially translated... :(

That's a pity. I remember reading in an article that was published back in 2012 that Franco's regime had censored parts of Fleming's Bond novels when they were translated into Spanish. An academic had done some research into it. Censorship of the Bond novels is an area of research I'm very interested in and I have a lengthy article on my blog about the censorship and banning of Fleming's Bond novels that I wrote back in 2007.

A new thread here on existing and required foreign translations of Fleming's Bond novels and the continuation novels might be a nice idea, actually. We could perhaps formulate a list of what has been translated to what language and what hasn't, including any differences in translation from the original English version? :)

I think I'm right in saying that Raymond Benson's Doubleshot (2000) (which is of course set in Spain and Gibraltar) is published in Spanish?
    I think I'm right in saying that Raymond Benson's Doubleshot (2000) (which is of course set in Spain and Gibraltar) is published in Spanish?

Wrong. Sadly we only had TWINE and DAD from Benson's run. You have here all the Spanish Bond on book: https://archivo007.com/bibliografia/

And yes, you're right about the censorship. Actually, until 1999 (!) all translations repeated those mistakes...
    edited September 2019 Posts: 17,728

Wrong. Sadly we only had TWINE and DAD from Benson's run. You have here all the Spanish Bond on book: https://archivo007.com/bibliografia/

And yes, you're right about the censorship. Actually, until 1999 (!) all translations repeated those mistakes...

Thanks very much for that link, @ggl007. That's just the sort of thing that I was looking for actually. It's good to see that Colonel Sun and a few of the Gardner Bond novels were translated there but there is obviously still much to be done to get the rest translated.

I'm not sure how many Spanish Bond fans buy the Bond novels in English and get to read them that way instead? I'm sure there are some who do this as it may be the only chance to read them.

That's interesting too about the after-effect of the Franco censorship of Fleming Bond novels. I'm sure that it's an area that more research could be conducted on. I'm not sure if anyone's done that as yet though.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Found this on an old memory card. Couldn't have been happier if Diana Rigg was sitting in it...
    IMG-0281-2.jpg

• cwl007cwl007 England
    Nice picture. That was down in Beaulieu wasn't it. I went to the Bond exhibition a few years ago now with my family. It was a fantastic exhibition, I was like a kid in a sweet shop. (and I was 34!)
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Nice picture. That was down in Beaulieu wasn't it. I went to the Bond exhibition a few years ago now with my family. It was a fantastic exhibition, I was like a kid in a sweet shop. (and I was 34!)

Correct @cwl007 it was Beaulieu. This was a few years ago. And like you i was also like a kid in a sweetshop! Great day!

I'd never seen the Mercury Cougar in 'real life' before so that was a real bonus.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Up close the cars looked amazing didn't they. I remember the Cougar was massive, it must have manoeuvred like a block of flats on the ice!
    I spent ages just looking at the vehicles, stunning up close. Although the smashed up Astons from CR and QOS were upsetting to see lol.

cwl007 wrote: »

Correct @cwl007 it was Beaulieu. This was a few years ago. And like you i was also like a kid in a sweetshop! Great day!

I'd never seen the Mercury Cougar in 'real life' before so that was a real bonus.

That's where I went to see the exhibition. Made sure I got a selfie with every car and the huge glass display cabinet/wall with all the other scale models in.....etc. :)) Brilliant day out! :-bd