Official NTTD Poster Thread

Comments

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Exactly @Benny it looks more real than other posters of Craig era.
    Univex wrote: »
    They had that house they've built for Bond in Jamaica. It had a desk with a cool lamp and lot's of boxes with papers and stuff. That'd be iconic. Of course using Fleming's desk would've been a dream.

Off topic, but I look forward to that sequence. Liked the look if that little house and the surroundings.

Me too. That sequence for me is one that I'm anticipating the most.

I'm hoping that Fukunaga and Sandgren don't hold back on the colours in that sequence. It's a sequence that screams for some vivid and lively colours (remember that sunset?), and I hope the rest of the marketing campaign will introduce some colours too. Unfortunately this first teaser doesn't really do that.
    They had that house they've built for Bond in Jamaica. It had a desk with a cool lamp and lot's of boxes with papers and stuff. That'd be iconic. Of course using Fleming's desk would've been a dream.

Off topic, but I look forward to that sequence. Liked the look if that little house and the surroundings.

I cannot wait for that sequence either. Do you think they would go as far as having Bond writing in the film?

Now that would be interesting. But what will he be writing?

A combat manual.

A bird watching manual.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    That blue wall should not be the nicest things about the poster, nor should it feature the worst official or unofficial pic we've seen of Craig thus far. Really disappointing. Really feels like a simple element is missing that could elevate this poster.

The most distracting thing is how blurry his watch is. Omega must the thrilled!
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Well, there’s plenty of other people who know a lot more about Bond than I do, but unless I’m missing something obvious, it’s Bond stood next to a wall. I was hoping for more than that. Daniel has that annoyed I don’t want to be here look - it’s just the sort of look I’d expect him to have if the Daily Mail snapped him sneaking out of the Bottoms Up Club at 6 in the morning.

I’ll try harder to like it.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    mtm wrote: »
    Is this actually a poster or just for online or something? The photo just isn’t good enough... I’m a bit confused by this. The earlier bonus image of him walking in front of the Vantage was much better, as were the fan efforts posted above (and I never say that, but in this case it’s actually true).
    It doesn’t feel like a piece of graphic design: it’s just a title slapped onto a snap.
    The Spectre one in the post above this one is so much better and, well, more professional it just doesn’t really compare. How has this happened?
    Agreed. Considering the Bond franchise is the leader in action/spy films, it's pretty embarrassing. The still they used of Craig is unflattering and not the one they should've used to re-introduce him as Bond to audiences after 4 years. It all feels very cheap and under-designed.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    There's a useful four letter word that about sums up that poster.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Me too. That sequence for me is one that I'm anticipating the most.

I'm hoping that Fukunaga and Sandgren don't hold back on the colours in that sequence. It's a sequence that screams for some vivid and lively colours (remember that sunset?), and I hope the rest of the marketing campaign will introduce some colours too. Unfortunately this first teaser doesn't really do that.

I cannot wait for that sequence either. Do you think they would go as far as having Bond writing in the film?

Now that would be interesting. But what will he be writing?

A combat manual.

A bird watching manual.

That would be stellar as well.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 17,241
    mtm wrote: »
    It doesn’t feel like a piece of graphic design: it’s just a title slapped onto a snap.

I think it's done by Greg Williams, not Empire Design who usually does the posters. At least his own Instagram post (and story) seems to suggest this.

m0KBN2M.png
    So, almost no one really likes it. The online response has been negative, to say the least.

They really should post that teaser right now (within the next couple of hours)
  • RC7RC7
    So, almost no one really likes it. The online response has been negative, to say the least.

Just a poster innit? Hardly the end of days.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

At least everyone is talking about it. There's no marketing, like 'negative reactions to bad poster' marketing.

i]
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 6,665
    RC7 wrote: »

My neighbour would say: Just a Bond film innit? Hardly the end of days.

But then again, he is not a fan, is he?

And no, it's not the end of days. But it is their business, their work, their film. Are we saying they shouldn't care? Or that we shouldn't care? Aren't these Bond fandom forums? Aren't we supposed to care? Aren't they Bond producers? Aren't they supposed to care?

Forget about the end of days, I don't care about the end of days. I care about the new Bond flick ;)

eh eh.
    I thought the Cuba section might be set at night. I think the poster would have benefited from a night time setting. Something a little bit more like below. I've always felt that the tux works best in a nighttime setting personally.

1510044597jpg_spo_large.jpg?v=1510127604
  • RC7RC7

Who’s the last person you met who did or didn’t go to a Bond film because they liked/disliked the poster? A lot of hot air out there at the moment. If you didn’t expect the poster to look something like this you’ve been asleep for the last decade.
    I thought the Cuba section might be set at night. I think the poster would have benefited from a night time setting. Something a little bit more like below. I've always felt that the tux works best in a nighttime setting personally.

If he falls through the bar in Cuba, he might have arrived in his tux, stayed a while then shit hits the fan at night.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

Now this is what I call a poster =D>
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 6,665

Who’s the last person you met who did or didn’t go to a Bond film because they liked/disliked the poster? A lot of hot air out there at the moment. If you didn’t expect the poster to look something like this you’ve been asleep for the last decade.

Oh ok, I thought these were Bond fandom forums, made for Bond fans to discuss how they feel about Bond related things. Your thesis is that I shouldn't care and I shouldn't discuss anything I find to be underwhelming. Ok then... And by the way, I remain very positive about everything I've seen about the film. I am not and haven't been a negative nay-sayer. So why shouldn't I, and most of the internet fandom, btw, say that I/we don't find this poster to be top-notch?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Oh ok, I thought these were Bond fandom forums, made for Bond fans to discuss how they feel about Bond related things. Your thesis is that I shouldn't care and I shouldn't discuss anything I find to be underwhelming. Ok then... And by the way, I remain very positive about everything I've seen about the film. I am not and haven't been a negative nay-sayer. So why shouldn't I, and most of the internet fandom, btw, say that I/we don't find this poster to be top-notch?

You should, and it's your opinion. You have every right to it. I think what @RC7 is saying, is don't get too worked up over a teaser poster. Few of the previous posters have really had a wow factor. It's six months till NTTD is released, this is something to whet our appetites.
    And don't worry, we all care or we wouldn't be here. And EON care or they wouldn't be making the 25th Bond film.
    You cant please all of the people all of the time...
  • RC7RC7

My thesis isn’t that you shouldn’t care, but that you shouldn’t be surprised. A lot of people are acting like this was unexpected. It follows the trend. It’s simply there to highlight the film. Title/007/Dinner suit. I made my peace with the minimalist approach years ago.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited October 2019 Posts: 10,586

My thesis isn’t that you shouldn’t care, but that you shouldn’t be surprised. A lot of people are acting like this was unexpected. It follows the trend. It’s simply there to highlight the film. Title/007/Dinner suit. I made my peace with the minimalist approach years ago.
    This is a fair assessment, but my issue lies with the fact that it looks unprofessional and tacky. SP's poster was equally dull, but it never looked cheap to me.
    Well, trends change, and I, for one, thought this could be a nice time to change the ongoing trend of blend posters. I was, of course wrong. It's not about being surprised. I had hopes for a change in that department, considering the new talent involved. So I was disappointed. Many, many people were. And it's not as if we were all "asleep through the last decade" as @RC7 pointed out. We can't help but have renewed expectations each time a new film comes out. Like you said, @Benny, we ARE fans, after all.

But again, I'm not "worked up" - again with this expression - nor is everyone who's disappointed. Frankly, I'm more anxious to see CJF's work through the teaser, whenever that comes. AND, I was one of the first to point out some of the positive stuff in that poster, mainly the colouring.

But saying these things, as some have already said, don't matter, is wrong. They do matter, we collect our posters, and our books about Bond art, and we follow these sort of things for years. And it creates iconography. That's what has supported the franchise. Saying a poster is just a poster and we shouldn't care because it's not the poster who makes the bucks from the tickets sales, is just ludicrous. This is all part of a mythical chunk of cinema History, and shouldn't be taken lightly or even be considered as only marketing.

But hey, that's just a fan's opinion.
    jake24 wrote: »

This is a fair assessment, but my issue lies with the fact that it looks unprofessional and tacky. SP's poster was equally dull, but it never looked cheap to me.

I agree. The SP posters were quite bland as well but they did follow @RC7 's statement about patterns. However, for me, the issue isn't the approach, it's the execution. The poster for THE RHYTHM SECTION that I posted for comparison is equally minimalist but it blows the NTTD poster away.

I'll always be surprised by poor quality posters for big budget films. There is no excuse, imo - whether they are minimalist or not.

However, it's just a poster. And people are talking about it all the same. So I suppose.......job done?
    However, it's just a poster. And people are talking about it all the same. So I suppose.......job done?

Of course. Job's done. But we know there are two ways to go about a job. You do it and that's that. Or you do it with heart and verve. And we know how the end product ends up in both versions.

Of course. Job's done. But we know there are two ways to go about a job. You do it and that's that. Or you do it with heart and verve. And we know how the end product ends up in both versions.

Don't worry, I absolutely agree.

Just taking a stab at the approach that other's have suggested.
  • Underwhelmed by the poster for sure. Low effort.

Don't worry, I absolutely agree.

Just taking a stab at the approach that other's have suggested.

I know, my friend, I know ;)
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    Internet never disappoints, some comments are hilarious.

445reu3.png
    oCWAUIz.jpg

The smaller font used on the Brazillian poster looks much better!
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    oCWAUIz.jpg

The smaller font used on the Brazillian poster looks much better!

Portuguese poster, if you may ;)

@marketto007 and I will later fight over this :)
    Not to be too negative, but I wasn’t expecting much and I still think it’s bad. No sense of key art from the film, no style, no intrigue. Hopefully the later posters have more thought put into them.