What do you want from Billie Eilish's NTTD's title song?

Comments

• MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Tuxedo wrote: »
    Eliot Sumner.
    That’s cheating. :P
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Sting is way too past it to draw anyone. I say that as a big fan back in his day... but he hasn’t done anything worthwhile in almost 20 years. He’s not going to pull out some great song and he’s not a radio draw anymore so there’s no point other than being Cary s friend, show biz friends... I’m sure Cary has lots of them and many younger, more vital artists. Keep moving.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Only recently became aware of her existence, but I'd like to throw Anna Calvi out there as a potential future Bond song artist.

Anna Calvi is very cool, yeah.
  • DoctorNo wrote: »
    Sting is way too past it to draw anyone. I say that as a big fan back in his day... but he hasn’t done anything worthwhile in almost 20 years. He’s not going to pull out some great song and he’s not a radio draw anymore so there’s no point other than being Cary s friend, show biz friends... I’m sure Cary has lots of them and many younger, more vital artists. Keep moving.

Doesn't bother me if the singer doesn't 'draw people' as long as it's a decent song. I have no interest in how financially successful the film is. It will certainly be successful enough to guarantee the making of another Bond film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    DoctorNo wrote: »

Doesn't bother me if the singer doesn't 'draw people' as long as it's a decent song.

So two counts against Sting then! ;)
  • mtm wrote: »

Doesn't bother me if the singer doesn't 'draw people' as long as it's a decent song.

I'd prefer Lana Del Rey myself!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2019 Posts: 14,861
    mtm wrote: »

I'd prefer Lana Del Rey myself!

I'm trying to think of someone I wouldn't prefer to him... :D
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I will put this link here, because I believed Sia was a frontrunner for this. Sad news:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/05/health/sia-neurological-disease-announcement-twitter/index.html
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    TripAces wrote: »
    I will put this link here, because I believed Sia was a frontrunner for this. Sad news:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/05/health/sia-neurological-disease-announcement-twitter/index.html

That's awful.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 16
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=MYESVkUxWxM

Thought this had a real 60's Bond feel to it when I first heard it.
    Depeche Mode is always the dream.
  • It won't be, but really should be Suede! Their latest album is the perfect audition.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It won't be, but really should be Suede! Their latest album is the perfect audition.

I could imagine them doing a great Bondy style song, yes. But they're not the right profile at the moment, agreed.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 1,261
    This one is a must...

worst-album-covers-svetlana.jpg
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2019 Posts: 4,415
    If Sting wil do title song, i whant Eon to remember that there should ask violist Janine Jansen who working with Sting before and be good friends with Roger Moore. In 2010 i bought her one time magazine Janine from 2009 to take with me to Greece. Interviews with she and Sting and She and Roger Moore. If it was also a reasen why i like idea Bond go to Croatia where she meet Roger. She and Roger Moore also be together in Dutch talk show.

And she is very hot too, so i don't mind cameo aka TLD concert.
  • I had no idea Dame Shirley Bassey slammed Tina Turner's final note in GoldenEye because "she didn't have the range".
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond

I don’t keep up on modern music that much, but this is the first time I saw a tweet like this from an established artist instead of an amateur.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    But isn't the one rule of submitting a Bond song that if you talk in public about it, you're definitely not picked to do it in the end?
    Surely if you as an artist are serious about it, you don't share that information until you're
    A) picked yourself (Adele announcing she's 'doing a theme' on Graham Norton)
    or
    B) not picked, and the singer has been announced (Radiohead with Spectre)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    But isn't the one rule of submitting a Bond song that if you talk in public about it, you're definitely not picked to do it in the end?
    Surely if you as an artist are serious about it, you don't share that information until you're
    or

What’s the first rule about Fight Club? 😏
  • Ohhhh boy.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    By George!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2019 Posts: 4,043
    talos7 wrote: »
    or

I'm sure this has been explained before and Sam Mendes confirmed it, Radiohead were the original artist before Sam Smith. They recorded a song Man of War (infinitely superior). Although despite never releasing it officially, the fact they'd played it live since the 90s on and off it was rejected.

This reason was most likely down to Oscar illegibility, then they went to Smith. Thom Yorke and the band went off and thought they'd have a crack at it with a new song, they contact Mendes and told him they'd composed a new song.

He told them they had the song but asked to listen to it, they said if he could use he was welcome. Mendes then tried several times tried to incorporate it into the film but couldn't do it justice so gave up.

He said he felt the song at the time wasn't what they were going for at it wouldn't fit.

He then admitted that he then saw the version of the main credits with their Spectre song and then thought that it did fit but thought it was probably cooler to say Radiohead almost did the theme.

This was all discussed on BBC 6 Radio a few years ago with Miranda Sawyer. Not sure if the program is available to listen to still but here is a link.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09clppp

Someone even took the time to show how it would have looked.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2019 Posts: 5,834

• edited October 2019 Posts: 4,400
    Shardlake wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    or

I'm sure this has been explained before and Sam Mendes confirmed it, Radiohead were the original artist before Sam Smith. They recorded a song Man of War (infinitely superior). Although despite never releasing it officially, the fact they'd played it live since the 90s on and off it was rejected.

This reason was most likely down to Oscar illegibility, then they went to Smith. Thom Yorke and the band went off and thought they'd have a crack at it with a new song, they contact Mendes and told him they'd composed a new song.

He told them they had the song but asked to listen to it, they said if he could use he was welcome. Mendes then tried several times tried to incorporate it into the film but couldn't do it justice so gave up.

He said he felt the song at the time wasn't what they were going for at it wouldn't fit.

He then admitted that he then saw the version of the main credits with their Spectre song and then thought that it did fit but thought it was probably cooler to say Radiohead almost did the theme.

This was all discussed on BBC 6 Radio a few years ago with Miranda Sawyer. Not sure if the program is available to listen to still but here is a link.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09clppp

Someone even took the time to show how it would have looked.

I heard that. It's very good.

I think what typically happens is Eon and the director invite preferred artists to read the script and write a song. It doesn't mean the song will be chosen or that the singer will even agree for them to use said song. These artists would include Sam Smith, Adele, Amy Winehouse and Madonna.

However, at the same time, prospective songs are submitted by artists who wish to be considered. Very rarely are these artists successful in their bids.

There are those occassions where the composer gets his way and writes a song for a particular artist. This happened frequently in the John Barry days. David Arnold was only successful twice in getting the title song - with Garbage and Chris Cornell.

I really really want Lana del Rey. I mean No Time to Die is basically a Lana Del Rey song title.

46727a2047f30b14bf252d103434a205.jpg

But I also think Radiohead are v cool and could do a great theme. though I can't help but think this idiot will get it.................

Saoirse-ed.jpg
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I truly believe Man of War was one of the biggest missed opportunities of this era that and not getting Amy Winehouse & Mark Ronson theme for QOS.

Jonny Greenwood is a prolific film scorer in his own right for Paul Thomas Anderson and Yorke recently provided the score to the Suspiria remake for Luca Guadagnino

Radiohead know how to do this kind of thing so brilliantly and the only comfort I take is that I wouldn't have wanted one of my favourite band's delivering the theme to that film so in the end the film got the song it deserved.

If only the film would have been worthy of Radiohead's brilliance.

This one is a must...

worst-album-covers-svetlana.jpg
    Just saw this now. Wow. This is incredible :-)).

Boy George is probably by far the biggest talent officially mentioned in this context. What makes me very uncomfortable is that Boy George himself gives credulity to the Sheeran/Dua Lipa rumors :-(.

• DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    For what it's worth, EON themselves state on their website that
    Eon Productions Limited and its affiliated company Danjaq LLC do not accept by email, post or courier any unsolicited materials i.e. material that has not been specifically commissioned by the company.

No idea if that rule is always 100% followed. We know Ed Sheeran has a song already written. If he were to contact EON, would they give him a fair shot? Going by the above, they would reject it because they didn't ask for it.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    edited October 2019 Posts: 2,426
    Out of curiosity, Boy George has posted this track called No Time To Die with quite Bondian lyrics (note the reference to Jamaica!) on SoundCloud last night. Some of you might want to have a listen.

May be as close as he’s going to get to a Bond theme!

I think the choosing of the artist from a select short list seems to be the way over the last 3 movies. Before that the composer tended to hold some say, unless Madonna had a beautiful song waiting in her drawer.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Out of curiosity, Boy George has posted this track called No Time To Die with quite Bondian lyrics (note the reference to Jamaica!) on SoundCloud last night. Some of you might want to have a listen.

...and his typically Boy-Georgian response to the release is ... 😉

This discussion has been closed.