Folio Society - Ian Fleming Special Editions

Comments

It’s not the most solid slipcase.
  • vzok wrote: »
    shamanimal wrote: »
    If it were heavier does that mean better quality paper or something? I guess some of the cost is for the new artwork.

With all the talk about the books being such superior quality to other books, I was expecting heavier paper stock. I wouldn't advise people not to buy them, but I would warn them that the book doesn't initially feel more substantial than a modern hardback. I have other books with slipcases and I also have to agree that the cardboard is quite thin in comparison with other slip cases.
    If this where a £20 book I wouldn't even bother mentioning it. But in the UK, with postage, you're going to be shelling out over £40.
  • The comments regarding quality are entirely valid.
    In PussyNoMore’s not so humble opinion, it is only the Dalton artworks that make this collection worthwhile.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    while not as luxurious to touch as I had wanted, the paper may still be of higher quality than most publications and last longer but i can’t confirm, only speculate...
    It seems weird they would release books, Bond, in October, but without advance promotion.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    It seems weird they would release books, Bond, in October, but without advance promotion.

They will do their usual annoucement of new books next wednsday and then release the book the following wednsday on the 16th. It's an educated guess but i am 100% confident.

Folio never really promotes their releases. They just announce one week prior that new books are coming and then just drop them.
  • Release them.

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Not really to be honest. This is literary Bond, not film Bond. Regrettably they do things differently here, promotion wise.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 5,185
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Not really to be honest. This is literary Bond, not film Bond. Regrettably they do things differently here, promotion wise.

This is exclusive to Folio though. They never promote unreleased books. They don't even announce the Books they're gonna release until the day they actually release them. They have a bit of a strange business model. For example only 4-5 years ago you could only purchase books from them when you were a subscribing member. Thankfully around the time the first Fleming was released they opened their business to everybody. From what i understand.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 754
    Yeah exactly, book publishers publicize their upcoming books... that’s normal. Particularly easier in the social media age. Folio has just been so niche that even though they’re moving toward broader appeal, they don’t have a marketing dept or leadership to direct how to market stuff. I know they were pushing Game of Thrones and now their Marvel book a bit so maybe they can only concentrate on small steps.
    00Agent wrote: »

This is exclusive to Folio though. They never promote unreleased books. They don't even announce the Books they're gonna release until the day they actually release them. They have a bit of a strange business model. For example only 4-5 years ago you could only purchase books from them when you were a subscribing member. Thankfully around the time the first Fleming was released they opened their business to everybody. From what i understand.

Yes, that's true. I suppose that I shouldn't really have lumped it in with IFP and the literary Bond in that sense. That said, I don't own any of the Bond folios. They're not really my thing. I much prefer collecting older paperback and hardback copies of the Bond novels. I suppose it's really all down to personal taste in the end analysis though.

Yes, that's true. I suppose that I shouldn't really have lumped it in with IFP and the literary Bond in that sense. That said, I don't own any of the Bond folios. They're not really my thing. I much prefer collecting older paperback and hardback copies of the Bond novels. I suppose it's really all down to personal taste in the end analysis though.

Ironically IFP are the ones that do the most advertising for the folios, because they were the ones that announced on their Instagram that TB and LALD are coming out this year, back in February i believe. Otherwise we still wouldn't know what's coming out this month.

Ironically IFP are the ones that do the most advertising for the folios, because they were the ones that announced on their Instagram that TB and LALD are coming out this year, back in February i believe. Otherwise we still wouldn't know what's coming out this month.

I imagine it's in their interests to promote these folio editions and flag up the fact that they are to be released soon, even if the Folio Society itself chooses not to operate on that model of promotion.
    I’m getting impatient...
    Me too, I keep looking at my emails to see if the winter collection has been announced. Any day now thou I think.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Next week we'll have news.
  • I've got a tenner off voucher, I hope they announce soon, it lasts for five days.

These offers seem to come quite often, I think. Anyone else here tend to wait till these offers come around? The last one I bought (DAF) was a tenner off.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Anyone else here tend to wait till these offers come around?

Oh yes. The sales are good too (not that Bond ever shows up in those).

Here ya go...
    Live and let die will be released next Wednesday. Must be Nr. 6 from the top.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 5,185
  • Thanks so much for that 00Agent. It looks lovely. I'm halfway through Diamonds Are Forever, and I wish now I'd waited to read it. Leiter has his hook, see...
    Anyway, I like the slip-case cover. Some I like better than others, (as in they work as covers better), and this one is a doozy. Like CR and DAF, my two other favourites.
    I've got a tenner off voucher, I hope they announce soon, it lasts for five days.

These offers seem to come quite often, I think. Anyone else here tend to wait till these offers come around? The last one I bought (DAF) was a tenner off.

Never seen any vouchers. Where do you get them?
  • I get them via email. One came saying 'it's your birthday, have a tenner off', and one came Monday saying 'you deserve a treat', and it's lasting five days. To be honest, I wouldn't be buying them if they were full price. They come in at nearly £45 with postage. At a tenner off, I can tell myself it's an extravagant purchase. At a tenner more, I'd start feeling like a bit of a mug.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus

Some of those illustrations are fantastic! Dalton's done it again.
    That one with Moneypenny opening the door to M's office is striking and the homage to the 1956 Perma edition of 'Live and Let Die'' as a semi naked bond stands before Mr Big.

LALD25.jpg

Looking forward to getting this along with Thunderball for Xmas (always get a Folio society Bond Xmas present for myself as I buy two a year at once.)
  • I wonder if it'll be abridged* like the recent Vintage Classic version?

*or censored/American version … take your pick.
  • The Pussy has just taken the plunge and has taken delivery of ‘Thunderball’ and ‘Live & Let Die’’
    The visuals are sumptuous in both editions and Dalton does a fabulous job. L&LD slightly has the edge but all in all we are talking literary Bond nirvana!
    That said, at these prices I do think Folio should include book ribbons.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 623
    Live and Let Die arrived here this week too. Am very pleased to report they appear to have used the original English text, and not the more politically correct 'American' version that Vintage Classics went with.

IMG-5440.jpg
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Live and Let Die arrived here this week too. Am very pleased to report they appear to have used the original English text, and not the more politically correct 'American' version that Vintage Classics went with.
    Correct!

In Spanish, but unboxing nevertheless... ;)

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    The Pussy has just taken the plunge and has taken delivery of ‘Thunderball’ and ‘Live & Let Die’’
    The visuals are sumptuous in both editions and Dalton does a fabulous job. L&LD slightly has the edge but all in all we are talking literary Bond nirvana!
    That said, at these prices I do think Folio should include book ribbons.

I thought they did! Too bad about the ribbons.
    I’m starting to think I should put the cost of one of these books into my budget with rent and other monthlies, and just pick them up one month at a time. ;) they’re such beautiful editions!
  • There was about two and a half pages of text missing from the Vintage Classics version (chapter five), but it's all intact in the Folio edition. Buy with confidence and enjoy!