The Eurovision Song Contest Thread

Comments

• GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona
    I really think this is a groovy Eurovision classic :-P:
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    This is obviously the greatest ever Eurovision entry from 2008. It's a travesty that it didn't go on to win!

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    This is obviously the greatest ever Eurovision entry from 2008. It's a travesty that it didn't go on to win!

The quality of this song is perfectly representative of Eurosong. I'm still waiting for something not ten years past its time to come out of that contest.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

The quality of this song is perfectly representative of Eurosong. I'm still waiting for something not ten years past its time to come out of that contest.

Sheer exaggeration :-). But I think it's like talking against a wall. Once certain people make up their minds without giving some examples that proves otherwise (like I did), it will stay that way :-).

Now why did it not win? Why did it not even qualify?

I think the current state of Brexit in a way is reflected in how the UK (and Ireland) think about Eurovision.

Against ridiculous examples like Ireland that basically self-eliminated itself, I can come up with more serious attempts, that even went on to win, that reflect today's popular music quite nicely, but I won't. It's useless :-).
    Please mind the double posts, @GertGettler. The edit button still functions well.
    Please mind the double posts, @GertGettler. The edit button still functions well.

How incredibly careless of me.

What is actually your favourite music @DarthDimi?
    Film music, of course. I rarely listen to anything else.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited September 2019 Posts: 13,882
    Take the Eurovison Song Contest seriously? We've always taken it seriously. We just liek to act as though we think it is a pointless cheesefest. ;)
    Take the Eurovison Song Contest seriously? We've always taken it seriously. We just liek to act as though we think it is a pointless cheesefest. ;)

That's absolutely true @MajorDSmythe. But obviously the UK has been so enormously big in Eurovision. From a more serious anthemic rock anthem from Katrina & The Waves to the lovely play with skirts of 'Making Your Mind Up'...

In part I think the late Sir Terry Wogan did quite some damage to the contest with his commentary. It is easy to ridicule every entry except the Brittish one. It's more difficult to be a more loyal ambassador to the contest and be honest about the British entries and that stuff like this truly deserved 'nul' points:

And compare the above dire vocals with a true respectable winner like this:

Of course. :)

We also act as though this contest is about music when it's really about outrageous shows, striking costumes and crazy politics. The songs are still stuck in the '90s--radio music of the '90s that is. Unoriginal melodies, unimpressive computerized beats, terrible singing voices and uninspired lyrics reign supreme. For perhaps one or two really good songs each year, one must suffer through an endless playlist of generic musical embarrassment, almost as bad if not as bad as Schlager music. Watching Eurosong equates to fighting boredom and lasting mental damage. I consider myself 80 years too young and several IQ points too smart for this "contest" that's supposed to unite Europe--or whatever that means. It's perhaps far more expensive than a hillbilly banjo contest before a BBQ, but it's certainly no better in terms of quality. The weakest Clash or Metallica songs are still several degrees better than anything I've ever heard on Eurosong in the past 25 years. My opinion, of course. It's just that the only people I know who actually like this crap are senior citizens who believe that it's hip to call this music hip and whose musical frame of reference is some folk music from way back when.

Of course. :)

We also act as though this contest is about music when it's really about outrageous shows, striking costumes and crazy politics. The songs are still stuck in the '90s--radio music of the '90s that is. Unoriginal melodies, unimpressive computerized beats, terrible singing voices and uninspired lyrics reign supreme. For perhaps one or two really good songs each year, one must suffer through an endless playlist of generic musical embarrassment, almost as bad if not as bad as Schlager music. Watching Eurosong equates to fighting boredom and lasting mental damage. I consider myself 80 years too young and several IQ points too smart for this "contest" that's supposed to unite Europe--or whatever that means. It's perhaps far more expensive than a hillbilly banjo contest before a BBQ, but it's certainly no better in terms of quality. The weakest Clash or Metallica songs are still several degrees better than anything I've ever heard on Eurosong in the past 25 years. My opinion, of course. It's just that the only people I know who actually like this crap are senior citizens who believe that it's hip to call this music hip and whose musical frame of reference is some folk music from way back when.

And in the end music is always a matter of taste :-).

What is your favourite UK entry @MajorDSmythe ?
    edited October 2019 Posts: 431
    How cooool! Like The Netherlands did in recent contest, is now being done by Flanders: A famous native act goes to Eurovision. The exquisite Belgian band Hooverphonic will try to do a double victory for the Benelux ;-)! I'msuper excited:
    HQ5Semo.png

A quick discography of Belgium's most famous band:

The hit '2Wicky'

The other hit 'Mad About You':

A personal favourite of mine, the song 'Eden':

The title track from the album with the same name: 'The Night Before':

A big hit in Belgium, but also in Italy, 'Anger Never Dies' (very Bond-esque):

The song 'Amalfi', released in 2013:

And my favourite track from their newest album: 'Badaboum':

An evergreen 'Sometimes' most definitely is:
    edited October 2019 Posts: 23,448
    The exquisite Belgian band Hooverphonic

giphy.gif

We're not sending quality now; we're sending arrogance. Okay, might work. Another band stuck in yesterday. This is becoming so predictable, it's almost physics.

Oh, and @GertGettler, for the last time, that "F-bomb in disguise" I had to remove from your post is still an "F-bomb" and you will avoid it.
    The exquisite Belgian band Hooverphonic

giphy.gif

We're not sending quality now; we're sending arrogance. Okay, might work. Another band stuck in yesterday. This is becoming so predictable, it's almost physics.

Oh, and @GertGettler, for the last time, that "F-bomb in disguise" I had to remove from your post is still an "F-bomb" and you will avoid it.

How to drag the soul and fun out of a discussion. You know about context no? Ah yes, rules are rules. I will now also not use disguised 'obscene language'. But really, sometimes a moderator needs to know the context of a sentence, if there's true bad intention in place, and interpret rules in such a way that they can be beneficial for the friendly flow of things. What you are doing now, and it feels a bit like that, is cutting the head off a chicken.

Regarding Eurovision: you are so incredibly anti-Eurovision now (or baseless negativity on the whole with regard to Eurovision) that most of your arguments are not even nuanced anymore. You just slam the contest with whatever you want, including nasty .gif's. And if you say "another band stuck in yesterday", you don't even come up with an idea from your side that proves the opposite of "another band stuck in yesterday". Not to mention the fact a song hasn't been chosen yet. I know it's your personal opinion, but this is my opinion too. And if you only piss at the contest during every post, then we not refrain from posting in here. Just for the sake of 'good atmosphere', which is so important for moderators.

We are Bond-fans. Just imagine if you belittle a Bond-fan in a similar way @DarthDimi. Now I am a Eurovision-fan too. Think about that. This is not a Bond-forum, but this is a Eurovision topic.

(PS: 'piss' is more common language in here and is not mentioned in the book of rules. For reference, I can send a few examples).
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2019 Posts: 4,416
    Sound to me as Belgium Sharleen Spiteri.

If England is smart there send a big star or comedy act. In other words: Typical British.
    My wish NTTD title performer wil do song there as in between act.
    M_Balje wrote: »
    Sound to me as Belgium Sharleen Spiteri.

If England is smart there send a big star or comedy act. In other words: Typical British.
    My wish NTTD title performer wil do song there as in between act.

Great post @M_Balje :-). Actually, the UK will dramatically change the selection of the Rotterdam 2020 entry. As mentioned in below tweet, the UK will, Thank God, completely eliminate the influence of televoters/the public by getting rid of the British National Final "BBC's Eurovision You Decide". In return the BBC will internally choose a song and performer in collaboration with record company BMG:

Irish public broadcaster RTE (https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/eurovision/) will do exactly the same. So they will follow in the footsteps of how recently the Dutch broadcaster AVROTROS (Anouk 9th place, The Common Linnets 2nd place, Duncan Laurence 1st place) and Belgian broadcaster RTBF/VRT (Loïc Nottet 4th place, Laura Tesoro 10th place, Blanche 4th place) have chosen their song and candidate for Eurovision.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

I think the current state of Brexit in a way is reflected in how the UK (and Ireland) think about Eurovision.

Against ridiculous examples like Ireland that basically self-eliminated itself, I can come up with more serious attempts, that even went on to win, that reflect today's popular music quite nicely, but I won't. It's useless :-).

The Republic of Ireland was quite simply taking the piss out of Eurovision as only the Irish can. It was fair enough as the former Eastern European bloc countries (cleverly referenced at the end by Dustin the Turkey to try to win favour with them!) had made a bigger farce out of an already farcical contest. This referenced the political voting that went on in the contest. So it was quite right for them to stick two fingers up to it in that fashion. I've never watched Eurovision and I never will. I'm not even sure why the UK and Ireland bother to take part in it any more. Perhaps there should be a Brexit from Eurovision as well. I'd certainly vote for it!

The Republic of Ireland was quite simply taking the piss out of Eurovision as only the Irish can. It was fair enough as the former Eastern European bloc countries (cleverly referenced at the end by Dustin the Turkey to try to win favour with them!) had made a bigger farce out of an already farcical contest. This referenced the political voting that went on in the contest. So it was quite right for them to stick two fingers up to it in that fashion. I've never watched Eurovision and I never will. I'm not even sure why the UK and Ireland bother to take part in it any more. Perhaps there should be a Brexit from Eurovision as well. I'd certainly vote for it!

Yes, but that was 10 years ago. The big fact now is that the former Eastern European bloc countries are slowly fading a bit with regard to success. The 'classic' Eurovision nations, nations that have been participating since the 1950's to 1970's, are busy with a clear push to a return to its former glory. Their results have been steadily improving since the re-introduction of juries in 2009 (the era Dustin the Turkey was taking the piss off, was the 100% televoting era 1998 - 2008):

Below chart shows that:
    h9xLKyY.png
    DR6krLy.png
    --> The more green / dark-green, the more succesful a nation in a particular contest.
    --> The more white to pink-ish, the more unsuccesful a nation is.
    --> Red is dead last.

So look at this year's contest in Tel Aviv, Israel. From the former Soviet nations, only Azerbaijan and Russia managed to enter the Top 10. Which is a huge difference from the era you @Dragonpol so eagerly despise, and which is behind us. Back in 2007 around 7 former Soviet nations ended in the Top 10. So it seems you're a bit stuck in the past.

Top 10 this year ('classic' Eurovision nations and nations with a Western-style culture):
    - 1st: The Netherlands ('founding father')
    - 2nd: Italy ('founding father')
    - 4th: Switzerland ('founding father')
    - 5th: Sweden
    - 6th: Norway
    - 9th: Australia
    - 10th: Iceland

Top 10 in 2018 ('classic' Eurovision nations and nations with a Western-style culture):
    - 1st: Israel
    - 2nd: Cyprus
    - 3rd: Austria
    - 4th: Germany ('founding father')
    - 5th: Italy ('founding father')
    - 7th: Sweden
    - 9th: Denmark

Top 10 in 2017 ('classic' Eurovision nations and nations with a Western-style culture):
    - 1st: Portugal
    - 4th: Belgium ('founding father')
    - 5th: Sweden
    - 6th: Italy ('founding father')
    - 9th: Australia
    - 10th: Norway

So, my message to Ireland and the United Kingdom would be: stop treating Eurovision as a show of ridiculousness, stop think in such a protectionist way (us vs. them, islanders vs. rest of Europe). And instead be more receptive to positivity, with an international, self-critical approach, also towards international music shows, and simply bring quality to the contest...or in essence stuff that appeals to everyone in Europe, music that people want to vote for. Or otherwise, like Brexit, go away, stop participating and cancel your European Broadcasting Union-membership entirely. But the changes that the BBC and RTE made a few weeks ago are a step in the good direction and show they want to try sending something better to Eurovision.
    But Gert, the UK isn't European anymore. It's... uh... its own thing now. I'm sure it's not going to take part in the Eurosong contest. ;-)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Time for the UK Song Contest. :-bd
    But Gert, the UK isn't European anymore. It's... uh... its own thing now. I'm sure it's not going to take part in the Eurosong contest. ;-)

Mind what you are saying you little rascal ;-). Boris Johnson might chase you with an axe! :-)
    Let Boris perform at Eurosong. I'm thinking about a new rendition of "Unite, Unite, Europe."
    Let Boris perform at Eurosong. I'm thinking about a new rendition of "Unite, Unite, Europe."

But the Tories Convention just took place buddy.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    What the hell are Australia doing there?
    I mean honestly. If there going to do that, it should be scrapped and renamed the 'World song contest'
    I remember watching Eurovision as a kid with my brothers, and we'd mock how truly bad it was.
    Benny wrote: »
    What the hell are Australia doing there?
    I mean honestly. If there going to do that, it should be scrapped and renamed the 'World song contest'
    I remember watching Eurovision as a kid with my brothers, and we'd mock how truly bad it was.

How Australia's interest in Eurovision kickstarted
    Okay, let me explain @Benny. Australia indeed is a pretty weird case. And frankly, it surprises me a bit that many British, who are the Ozzies' Commonwealth bro's, don't understand Australia's participation. In fact, Australia's participation has some similarities with Israel's participation that started in 1973, but I come back to that later.

Back in 1974 in Brighton Sweden won the Eurovision Song Contest with 'Waterloo' by Swedish band ABBA. ABBA was a sensation in Europe and within two years after their victory also a huge hit sensation in Australia. Some of ABBA's most important videoclips and concert videos were filmed in Australia. The 'ABBA sensation was so huge that it also catapulted interest in the Eurovision Song Contest.

From 1976 until 1982 the official BBC registration with Terry Wogan's commentary, broadcasted via BBC Australia, was quite a success. Millions of Australians watched that registration during the April live event (in those days Eurovision was broadcasted in April).

After that Australian public broadcaster SBS broadcaster started transmitting the contest. That was in 1983. Sometimes with Terry Wogan's commentary (until the 1990's), sometimes with Australian commentary (later on, during the late 1990's),the contest was an immediate success. Obviously it's understandable SBS became interested in more extensive involvement. Since the 2000's SBS is broadcasting the contest with its own 'mock televoting'. And then in 2012 Australia got its own commentary booth in the 2012 contest in Baku.

Associate Membership of the European Broadcasting Union
    Apart from this massive interest, cheer positive attitude and becoming more and more ambassadors of the contest outside the European Broadcasting Union Membership, Australia was granted its first full participation during the 2015 contest in Vienna, Austria.

Regarding the membership of the European Broadcasting Union, it is important to note that this EBU needed to make an exception for Australia. However, the EBU also has an 'Associate Membership option'. This was basically initiated in 1950 when the EBU was founded. It says: "Any group or organisation from an International Telecommunication Union (ITU) member country, which provides a radio or television service outside of the European Broadcasting Area, are permitted to submit applications to the EBU for Associate Membership. Countries which have this status also pay an annual fee to maintain this status." So way back in 1950 with the foundation of the EBU, Australian public broadcasters immediately became an 'associate EBU member'.

So Australia has been a loyal fee payer to the EBU since 1950. In part this interest in European broadcasting activities can be explained because Australia has big cultural ties with (Western) Europe. Primarily because a significant proportion of the population have ancestry in Europe (in particular in the United Kingdom).

Australian culture and Western-European culture
    There you have it. The real reason Australia now participates in the Eurovision Song Contest. In a weird twist however, it was only UK commentator Graham Norton who openly was against participation of Australia, while most commentators from 'mainland' Europe were much more positive. My personal feeling is that Australia is uttermost welcome in the contest. They basically show that its pop music culture, which is very similar to the UK's pop music culture, cán work at Eurovision. The BBC only has to look at their bigger Commonwealth brother to see that scoring points and ending on the left hand side of the scoreboard is very much achievable and possible.

Australia's participation also shows that its harder to bring up favouritism and the so called 'political' voting, which I believe is nonsense, as arguments against Australia's participation. Australia literally has no neighbours.

In a way it's also one of the reasons that Israel started participating in the Eurovision Song Contest back in 1973. Also Israel has big cultural ties with Mainland Europe. And like the EUFA (for football), Israel has been a member of the EBU for a long time. Down below gives you an idea that (associate) membership of the EBU is the driving force behind participant in EBU organized events like Eurovision. It also shows it's a huge difference from the strict geographical borders of continent Europe.

EBU membership area and its associate members:
    EBU_Member_Elliptic.svg

Strict geographical borders of continent Europe:
    cgiktdQ.png

Eurovision Asia Song Contest and Eurovision's American Song Contest
    On top of that it is interesting to mention that the EBU is working on spin-off's of the Eurovision Song Contest. Currently an American Song Contest (https://eurovoix.com/2019/05/14/american-song-contest-to-be-launched-in-2021/), to be produced by the NBC in 2021 and an Asiavision Song Contest (Australia is part of continental Oceania) are in the making. So within the next 5 years their first editions will be broadcasted. It is one of the main reasons why the EBU declined participation of China in the European variant. There's already an official website for the Asia variant: https://www.eurovisionasia.tv/. Perhaps the United Kingdom can show interest in participating in the American Song Contest :-P?
    pjitZZD.png
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Well that all sounds lovely.
    Seems like a waste of time, Eurovision is about as popular as a fart in a spacesuit 'down under' .
    About Australia and the ESC :

Oh, and there's that too, about Canada :

Seems like a waste of time, Eurovision is about as popular as a fart in a spacesuit 'down under' .

Then obviously you stay away from this 'fart' of a topic 🤔😜.

Not just 'down under', @Benny. Over here, we enjoy making fun of that thing as well. It's all fun for that 65+ crowd, but the rest of us understand that it's all show and no content. It's like a parade: all show, but what the heck it's for? Few care. ;-)
    Then obviously you stay away from this 'fart' of a topic 🤔😜.

Maybe we will, maybe we won't. @Benny and myself get bored sometimes. ;-)