The Beatles and Bond

MrBondMrBond Station S
edited April 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 2,044
I've always thought that the fact of 5th October 1962, the first Bond movie Dr.No was released. Which we all know was a great milestone in the way of making films. It did change the movie industry forever and it kicked of the longest and most popular movie franchise through alltime.
But at same very date, 5th October 1962, The Beatles first single Love Me Do was released. Isn't that a coincidence that the biggest movie franchise and the biggest Band and in terms of sales and inspiration to the music franchise was released at the same date?
I found that very intresting actually!

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Modern music and modern action cinema, re-invented on the same day. Interesting..
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    And both of them turning 50 this year!
    The Beatles..... somebody pass me those earmuffs!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2012 Posts: 13,894
    I can't stand the Beatles. Where's Room 101 when you need it?
  • MrBondMrBond Station S

So you drink wrong temperated Dom Perignon too? ;))

MrBond wrote:

Yes and red wine with fish, old man.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    MrBond wrote:

Yes and red wine with fish, old man.

Ofcourse, SPECTRE!
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool

Whys that mate?
    It's merely a coincidence above all else, the dates in question that is

Never been much of a Fab Four admirer, they did some very good tracks like Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, Eleanor Rigby and Penny Lane but all said I was more into Hermans Hermits or Thunderclap Newman back in the day even though they weren't that well recognized

Incidentally the Cuban Missle Crisis started about the same time as the release of Doctor No but I'm guessing that had nothing to do with James Bond..
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2012 Posts: 15,690
    I see the sons of Ringo, Paul, John and George all are in talks to form the Beatles 2nd generation band !!
    I see the sons of Ringo, Paul, John and George all are in talks to form the Beatles 2nd generation band !!

I heard this too I feel it would be a travesty aha
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    DCisared wrote:

Whys that mate?

Because he's a philistine, clearly... :p
    Ringo's "kid," Zack Starkey, is The Who's official band-drummer. Zack can really pound out the Who songs. Townshend loves him, but he could probably be convinced to loan him out.
    This would be a real neat idea, actually.
    Here's the link http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/apr/04/beatles-next-generation-possibility-mccartney?newsfeed=true
    James McCartney,Dhani Harrison, Sean Lennon and maybe Zack. If not Zack, his brother Jason, who is also a drummer.
    Dhani did a nice job with Jeff Lynne, putting the finishing touches on George's last album.
    St_George wrote:
    DCisared wrote:

Whys that mate?

Haha of course :-))
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    timmer wrote:
    Ringo's "kid," Zack Starkey, is The Who's official band-drummer. Zack can really pound out the Who songs. Townshend loves him, but he could probably be convinced to loan him out.
    This would be a real neat idea, actually.
    Here's the link http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/apr/04/beatles-next-generation-possibility-mccartney?newsfeed=true
    James McCartney,Dhani Harrison, Sean Lennon and maybe Zack. If not Zack, his brother Jason, who is also a drummer.
    Dhani did a nice job with Jeff Lynne, putting the finishing touches on George's last album.

If there were to be an album, that too could be produced by George Martin's son Giles, who did the lion's share of producing on the Cirque du Soleil Love show (featuring Beatles music) and its subsequent album.

Seriously though, the whole idea screams more a gimmick than a genuinely good idea. There's repeated rumours that Macca and Ringo may reunite on-stage in some form for one of the ceremonies at the London Olympics, however. That wouldn't be a bad idea, methinks - especially if you were to rope in their old mate Eric Clapton at the same time... :)
  • DB5DB5

"My dear girl there are some things that just aren't done, such as drinking Dom Pérignon '53 above a temperature of 38 degrees Fahrenheit. That's as bad as listening to the Beatles without earmuffs!"

• edited April 2012 Posts: 4,622
    St_George wrote:
    If there were to be an album, that too could be produced by George Martin's son Giles, who did the lion's share of producing on the Cirque du Soleil Love show (featuring Beatles music) and its subsequent album.

Seriously though, the whole idea screams more a gimmick than a genuinely good idea. There's repeated rumours that Macca and Ringo may reunite on-stage in some form for one of the ceremonies at the London Olympics, however. That wouldn't be a bad idea, methinks - especially if you were to rope in their old mate Eric Clapton at the same time... :)
    I don't know how crazy I would be about a new album. It would depend on how creative musically the 4 were and how close they could come to finding the Beatles sound. What appeals more is if they were to do a Beatles tour. It would be a chance for the world to see the Beatles live, well sort of. They didn't tour after 1966, so most of us never saw them. Just because of their lineage they could probably do a real energetic job on the old songs,spiced with a few new ones. It would be a fun show, more of a Beatles tribute show, but not just by any old tribute band, and a chance for these guys to salute their famous fathers.
    A Macca Ringo re-union would be great. I don't know why these two can't re-unite for one tour. I know they would be hesitant to call it a Beatles tour, but they could call it anything they want. Ringo tours constantly. He's through these parts every summer and Paul has always been up to touring, but they both always seem to have their own things going on, so setting their solo stuff aside might be the hitch. Maybe a short 20 date tour with a big blu-ray release, and then we're all happy. And yes Clapton would be ideal. He and George were collaborators. He'd be the perfect lead guitar. Throw in any old good rythm guitarist and a keyboard player and off you go. I would ask Clapton though to stay bg, as much as that could be possible, and let Paul and Ringo hog the spotlight, to maintain the Beatles feel. But the sooner the better. These guys aren't getting any younger.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    St_George wrote:
    DCisared wrote:
    Haha of course :-))

Anyone that listens to thier music by choice, has my pitty. It's different when you're being tortured by it.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I'd say ' live and let die'. They were great, but all good things come to an end. All bad things do as well, don't worry MajorDSmythe. Everything comes to an end, we shouldn't keep trying to stop that. Just do something new and original.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

X(

I respect The Beatles and their influence on music, but I do not think they are necessarily the "best band ever". It is great that Bond and The Beatles share an anniversary, and that they joined forces in 73'.
    The Rolling Stones > The Beatles
    Volante wrote:
    The Rolling Stones > The Beatles
    Truth (I'm hardcore Stones fan) but the Beatles are legend and IMHO, the biggest, most influential rock band of all time. Not even close. Zep, Stones and the others are several notches below in terms of legacy.

^That
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 163
    "..but the Beatles are legend and IMHO, the biggest, most influential rock band of all time..."

I agree 100%. Some one like me who read Fleming's novels in the late 1950s before DN was filmed, and graduated from the university in early 1960s when Beatles had such fame, such influence on us in the universities, both -Bond and the Beatles were special to me.
    The combination of Bondmania and Beatlemania, which erupted at roughly the same time, might make the 1960's the most influential decade in the history of man. Yep, I think it does. The two phenomena changed the course of human cultural development and the evolution-and-direction of cinema and rock music for millenia.
    10,000 years from now, students throughout the known galaxy, will continue to be schooled in the timeless cultural influence of both Bond and the Beatles. Sean, John, Paul, George and Ringo will be revered as monumental historical figures.
    And to think, 3 of them still walk very much among us. Awesome.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    timmer wrote:
    The combination of Bondmania and Beatlemania, which erupted at roughly the same time, might make the 1960's the most influential decade in the history of man. Yep, I think it does. The two phenomena changed the course of human cultural-development and the evolution-and-direction of cinema and rock music for millenia.
    10,000 years from now, students throughout the known galaxy, will continue to be schooled in the timeless cultural influence of both Bond and the Beatles. Sean, John, Paul, George and Ringo will be revered as monumental historical figures.
    And to think, 3 of them still walk very much among us. Awesome.

Epic post! +1
    MrBond wrote:
    Epic post! +1
    ;) I don't think its possible to overstate the influence of either phenomena.

During my teens I was a huge Beatles fan (even though they had already split up ! ) - the first records I bought age 12 were John Barry 'Bond' scores - but once I heard my sisters copy of Abbey Road I decided to make The Beatles one of my favourites too. Today however much as I like the Beatles songs(together and solo) they are not in my opinion 'real' musicians. Like most pop acts they are' musical entertainers'. The fact that after fifty five years in the music business they cannot read music appalls me. Musical illiteracy is NOT cool . If a man worked in Publishing for Fifty-five years and could not read or write it would be a scandal. For heavens sake primary school children can learn some of the basics of musical notation in a matter of weeks !
    They didn't do too bad for musical illiterates did they?
    From what I recall, they had their own method of writing and I bet there must be at least a couple of authors that can't write in the conventional sense either.
    So what do you feel about those musicians that "play by ear".
    John Philip Sousa > Frank Sinatra > The Beatles
    Music is going backwards for me…