'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

DVD Active have published their review for the Ace Boxset. One each for the two stories (The Happiness Patroll & Dragonfire) included.

http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/ace-adventures-the-happiness-patrol.html
    http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/ace-adventures-dragonfire.html

I'm really excited for this. One McCoy DVD release is enough to send me into a geeky frenzy, and now we get two. \:D/

i have warmed to McCoy over recent years. I used to think he was not great and his stories probably the worst of the series.

But he is such a sweetie with Sophie on the commentaries that I have changed my mind and some of his stories have improved with time. Still think Remembrance and Fenric are overrated though.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    actonsteve wrote:
    i have warmed to McCoy over recent years. I used to think he was not great and his stories probably the worst of the series.

But he is such a sweetie with Sophie on the commentaries that I have changed my mind and some of his stories have improved with time. Still think Remembrance and Fenric are overrated though.

Really? Those two are amonst my top 5 stories. Fenric is #1 with the other 3 series 26 stories taking up places #2 through to #4, with Rememberance rounding out the top 5.

And I'm not going to disagree with you on the commentries. :)
    I recently bought remembrance of the daleks i enjoyed it more than i expected. when Mccoys episodes were originally broadcast the lesser episodes had put me of from watching the series though missed a few good episodes by doing so.
    @MajorDSmythe Trial of a timelord i felt was ok though bonnie langford is irritating. Was not happy with the cop out ending regarding perry, i pretend when watching it that midway through the season was indeed her fate.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I recently bought remembrance of the daleks i enjoyed it more than i expected. when Mccoys episodes were originally broadcast the lesser episodes had put me of from watching the series though missed a few good episodes by doing so.

That's understandable. Those early episodes were very different to the 1988 & 1989 stories.
    @MajorDSmythe Trial of a timelord i felt was ok though bonnie langford is irritating. Was not happy with the cop out ending regarding perry, i pretend when watching it that midway through the season was indeed her fate.

I do like Colin Baker as the 6th Doctor (he's my 4th favourite after McCoy, Troughton & Smith), but that Trial series really tests my patience to the limit. Just as we're about to settle in the stories, we're pulled out of them to sit through another bout of the Doctor acting childish in the courtroom. Not to mention that actually thier joke backfired. I did like the idea of the Valeyard being the sum of the Doctors untapped evil from between his twelfth and final inarnations. When we get to that stage, I wonder if they'll use the Valeyard in some shape of form. Unless the beeb decided to go on beyond the 13 lives.

As for Langford, I watched Time And The Rani recently, and I felt really sorry for her. Mel's story could be written on the back of a postal stamp (she's a computer programmer from Pea's Cottage). She worked really well with McCoy, but all she got to do was scream very loudly. Now compare Mel to her immediate successor, Ace, there's a big difference in what Aldred got to work with. It's not really surprising that Mel has gone on to become one of the least liked companions, whereas Ace became one of the most popular companions.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 6,432
    I agree the court room scenes sucked the life out of the episodes in trial of a timelord, only watched revelation of the daleks from the previous season though i like colin baker and his pompous arrogance. There is a darkness brewing in smiths portrayel i think. Amys choice teases the possibility of the Valeyard appearing later on in the show, with the dream lord. The dream lord being the doctors unconscious mind and potential evil manifesting itself. Amys choice i find a interesting episode as there is the evil doctor, rory dies he disintegrates after being hit by green gas from the creature in elderly lady = hit by light from the cracks and wiped from existence, amy is pregnant, cold star = universe collapsing, the creatures laying dormant waiting in the elderly could be a metaphor for the silence. All these things happen before and after this episode in other episodes. Alot of foreshadowing going on in Amys choice.
    I would not discount the Valeyard being responsible for blowing up the tardis and creating the cracks in time, as a means of somehow taking the 11th doctor's physical form. Regarding the universe being completely wiped out in big bang. whoever orchestrated it all would surely have wanted the doctor to succeed in rebooting the universe. It seems logical that rebooting the universe changed something that aids the villain and there master plan.
    James Bond director Sam Mendes likens the movie franchise's longevity with Doctor Who: "That's why I mentioned the word in the press conference, 'regeneration' rather than 'evolving', because I feel it is like, you know, we have Doctor Who ... there's a geek answer ... and I was brought up on the idea of Doctor Who, who at the end of his final episode, he dissolves and a new actor pops up and he regenerates and it's a whole other character: sometimes it's an old man, sometimes it's a young man, but he just changes. I've always loved that idea." [Collider, 1 May 2012]
    Updated DVD release guide courtesy of DWO:

The Krotons (2nd Doctor) - 2nd July
    The Greatest Show In The Galaxy (7th Doctor) - 30th July
    Planet Of The Giants (1st Doctor) - 20th August

With Greatest Show, the 7th Doctor era will be complete on DVD. And we have another 2nd Doctor release with Krotons. B-)
    Updated DVD release guide courtesy of DWO:

The Krotons (2nd Doctor) - 2nd July
    The Greatest Show In The Galaxy (7th Doctor) - 30th July
    Planet Of The Giants (1st Doctor) - 20th August

With Greatest Show, the 7th Doctor era will be complete on DVD. And we have another 2nd Doctor release with Krotons. B-)

I will give the Krotons a miss because I dont like it much. Quite like GsiTG - its nice and sinister. Havent seen PoTGs but have read good things about it.
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,882
    Are you not a Troughton fan @actonsteve, or is it just the story you don't like? I've never seen that story, but Troughton is my 2nd favourite Doctor, and I really want to see more from him.

I'm not that keen on Hartnell, so I probably wont pick up POTG.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 5,772
    And here's a clip I hope to see on a DVD release: Doctor Who Anime-style:

BTW, here, in France, France 4 will air a Doctor Who night with:

The first four episodes of season 6
    The first episode of season 1 ("Rose"
    Edge of Destruction (in english)
    Genesis of the Daleks (in french)
    City of Death (in english)

And lots of subjects about the history of the show. Better stock on Taureau Rouge ;)
    I found Ace and Mel both annoying.

as for DVDs, my DW collection is growing and I'll probably pick up krotons just to keep a variety of troughton stories, whereas other doctors can be more pick and choose
    Great to see so many fellow Bond fans also fans of another great british fictional institution. I love the modern era of Doctor Who but also a fan of the classic series. I have started collecting classic series stories on DVD but hope (proberly wishful thinking) that season long box-sets will make an apperance soon. I know, it's been done with the connected season stories of Trial of a Timelord and the Key to Time season but I was hoping they could release whole seasons for all the others, (less the still missing stories of Hartnell and Trougton), as it would save me on storage and cost! But I guess they'll keep releasing stories individually and re-releasing as part of smaller themed box-sets to keep Dr Who the cash-cow it has been for the BBC!!
    Are you not a Troughton fan @actonsteve, or is it just the story you don't like? I've never seen that story, but Troughton is my 2nd favourite Doctor, and I really want to see more from him.

I'm not that keen on Hartnell, so I probably wont pick up POTG.

Oh I am a massive Troughton fan. He is an incredible Doctor. Tomb of the Cybes and the Invasion are two of my favourites.

But have never liked the story and the production looks amateur. Despite the mighty Phlip Madoc.
    Gerard wrote:
    An
    BTW, here, in France, France 4 will air a Doctor Who night with:

The first four episodes of season 6
    The first episode of season 1 ("Rose"
    Edge of Destruction (in english)
    Genesis of the Daleks (in french)
    City of Death (in english)

And lots of subjects about the history of the show. Better stock on Taureau Rouge ;)

Fantastic! I never knew Dr Who was so popular! Vive la France!
    Great to see so many fellow Bond fans also fans of another great british fictional institution. I love the modern era of Doctor Who but also a fan of the classic series. I have started collecting classic series stories on DVD but hope (proberly wishful thinking) that season long box-sets will make an apperance soon. I know, it's been done with the connected season stories of Trial of a Timelord and the Key to Time season but I was hoping they could release whole seasons for all the others, (less the still missing stories of Hartnell and Trougton), as it would save me on storage and cost! But I guess they'll keep releasing stories individually and re-releasing as part of smaller themed box-sets to keep Dr Who the cash-cow it has been for the BBC!!

i thought most of the classic sereis was out on DVD apart from about 7 titles. Look them up on Amazon on individual titles - they are all there...

actonsteve wrote:

i thought most of the classic sereis was out on DVD apart from about 7 titles. Look them up on Amazon on individual titles - they are all there...

I didn't release just how few left there were to come. That would be far too many titles for me to collect individually I. It would take forever and how much storage would be taken up also!! I hope there will be box sets available as I described at some point.
    [
    I didn't release just how few left there were to come. That would be far too many titles for me to collect individually I. It would take forever and how much storage would be taken up also!! I hope there will be box sets available as I described at some point.

Some of the first DVD releases you can get very cheaply on Ebay. They are all there - just take your pick.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    All the stories will be out by the end of next year and then hopefully we will get indivail series sets. That's when I'll start collecting them.
    When I became a Whovian and started buying the DVDs, I was in the mindset of buying all of the DVDs. Since i've established what Doctors I like, I now only buy stories of those Doctors.
    I've only seen one or 2 Mccoy stories when I was younger (genesis of the daleks, can't remember what the others were called), the TV movie, and the rebooted series. Out of all the doctors I've seen, Eccleston is the best imo.
    When I became a Whovian and started buying the DVDs, I was in the mindset of buying all of the DVDs. Since i've established what Doctors I like, I now only buy stories of those Doctors.

Which Doctors do you like?

I like all of them especially Tom, Pert, Troughton, Billy and Smithy.

The only one I dont like is Tennant. Too emo and wet for me.

1. McCoy
    2. Troughton
    3. Smith
    4. Baker (Colin)
    5. Pertwee

Those are the Doctors that I try to pick up the DVD's as they're released. In the case of McCoy, being my favourite, i've ventured beyond DW on tv and have been buying the Big Finish Audios.
    1. McCoy
    2. Troughton
    3. Smith
    4. Baker (Colin)
    5. Pertwee

Those are the Doctors that I try to pick up the DVD's as they're released. In the case of McCoy, being my favourite, i've ventured beyond DW on tv and have been buying the Big Finish Audios.

What are the Big Finish Audios like? Worth purchasing?
    What are the Big Finish Audios like? Worth purchasing?

They have gone and done some interesting things with the remaining classic Doctors, especially Davison, Colin Baker, McCoy & McGann. Since this year the 4th Doctor has joined their ranks.
    I started buying BF becaue of their continuing adventures of the 8th Doctor (just one tv movie) and occasionaly branched of to other Doctors, due to some 2nd hand purchases that were worth my while. The Colin Baker Doctor has gotten a much better storyline as he ever got on the tv, even McCoys Doctor became far better than his tv version ever got to be.

They also have the companion chronicles, which are tales told by companions (played by the original actors) about a tale with their Doctor, these tend to be darker but very well written and performed.

Furthermore they have audiolines of: Stargate, Dark Shadows, Highlander, 2000AD, Sapphire & STeele, some spin-off series from DW, SHerlock Holmes, Blake 7.

I find their output, especially the DW, well worth the money and as a DW fan most satisfying. But I would not mind hearing some 9th & 10th Doctor tales but they are off limits as it currently stands.

• edited May 2012 Posts: 5,772
    Fantastic! I never knew Dr Who was so popular! Vive la France!

Not exactly popular. For starters, the original series never aired in France in the 60s (which is too bad, because, thanks to the INA, we might have been able to solve that problem with missing episodes). There were a few episodes that aired in 1989, but on sunday mornings, too early for people to watch it. More information here:

http://gallifreybase.com/w/index.php/France

And here:

http://gallifreybase.com/w/index.php/Timescreen_17

Read that last link, and weep !

The new series has more success, airing on a regular basis on France 4 since its creation (although with one year delay. But it gets beaten regularly by reruns of "The Simpsons"(even Torchwood is more successful, and most people who watch the latter have no clue that it's a spin-off of Doctor Who). And I can't count the times when, when I say I'll be watching or I have watched Doctor Who, people tell me: "You mean Doctor House ?" There's a fanbase, that is slowly growing, but for most people here, the Doctor is really "Who?"

BTW, that night will be the first time we'll see "Edge of Destruction" and "City of Death" in France, and only the second time for "Genesis of the Daleks" (with the original french dub). All of that means that that night is not to be missed. Let's hope it can lead to others airings of "classic" episodes.
    SaintMark wrote:
    I find their output, especially the DW, well worth the money and as a DW fan most satisfying.

I second that. They're the next best thing to seeing stories from your favourite Doctor, hearing them.
    And Thats A rap...

Karen and Arthur have finished their four year stint on Who.

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/its-a-wrap-goodbye-karen-and-arthur-33861.htm
    Steven Berkoff (Octopussy's General Orlov) will appear in Episode 4, along with the return of Mark Williams. The episode also sees the return of unit and has a working title of Cubed
    Virage wrote:
    And Thats A rap...

Karen and Arthur have finished their four year stint on Who.

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/its-a-wrap-goodbye-karen-and-arthur-33861.htm
    Steven Berkoff (Octopussy's General Orlov) will appear in Episode 4, along with the return of Mark Williams. The episode also sees the return of unit and has a working title of Cubed

Goodbye and farewell. Both for me took a little time getting used to and I'm not sure if I'm still getting used to them but I did enjoy their involvement.
    barryt007 wrote:
    This series is not good at all IMO.
    They might as well call it 'The Rory and Amy show' as the Doctor is either standing around doing nothing or is trapped and they have to save the day again - he might as well not be in it .

I'm getting fed up with Rory and bloody Amy,and for the 1st time ever last weekend i walked out on a Dr Who episode through total boredom.

To be honest I'm not a fan of the new stuff at all, I much prefer the old series and get each dvd as they come out, I don't have a favourite Dr I have favourite stories instead.