No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona
    Contraband wrote: »

These employees from Lotus Productions love to throw everything on Instagram huh :-)?
    edited September 2019 Posts: 431
    OMG, exactly when we were discussion locations in NTTD, i just read this:

That would result in some truly Majestic cinematography if you ask me. I have been to the Faroe (Faeröer) Islands, which are an independent autonomous country within the Danish Commonwealth, and it's truly amazing. It will be the first ever time James Bond is going to film in Denmark. It also brings about some questions about the real location as written in the story. Will all footage shot in the Faroe Islands, Scotland and Norway be either Faroe Islands, Scotland or Norway? Only two of these three locations will double for the other no?
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 820
    I kind of hope Malek's villain just has some stupifyingly beautiful lair in the Norwegian countryside for whatever reason and it took them this many locations to pull it together.

Probably not. Maybe the third act is an extended chase sequence of some kind. A moving-climax, if you will.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden

That would result in some truly Majestic cinematography if you ask me. I have been to the Faroe (Faeröer) Islands, which are an independent autonomous country within the Danish Commonwealth, and it's truly amazing. It will be the first ever time James Bond is going to film in Denmark. It also brings about some questions about the real location as written in the story. Will all footage shot in the Faroe Islands, Scotland and Norway be either Faroe Islands, Scotland or Norway? Only two of these three locations will double for the other no?

The only source for that is from "The local guide to Faroe Islands"-site. So treat it with a hand full of salt
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    I kind of hope Malek's villain just has some stupifyingly beautiful lair in the Norwegian countryside for whatever reason and it took them this many locations to pull it together.

Probably not. Maybe the third act is an extended chase sequence of some kind. A moving-climax, if you will.

I am reminded of Nathan's estate in Ex Machina.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    This film is really shaping up to be something special :)
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 820
    TripAces wrote: »

Yes! Loved that. Stellar design. And a real place (hotel):

https://www.businessinsider.com/ex-machina-juvet-hotel-2016-9
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

There was so much that was "Bondian" about the villain and that estate, for sure.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2019 Posts: 5,834

There was so much that was "Bondian" about the villain and that estate, for sure.
    I would love for Oscar Isaac to be a villain, although I'd get it a bit of time. I think he might be too overexposed at the moment. I think that was part of the problem with Christoph Waltz. When an actor is in so many things that people remember, it becomes even more difficult for previous performances to be topped. Everyone compared Waltz' Blofeld to Inglorious Bastards and Django Unchained, even myself.

The only source for that is from "The local guide to Faroe Islands"-site. So treat it with a hand full of salt

If we can trust local newspapers like Sassilive, then we can't we trust local news gathering from some Danish islands :-)?

https://www.guidetofaroeislands.fo/history-culture/james-bond-faroe-islands-scenery

Apparently, a 2nd or 3rd unit is already there for filming aerial scenes. And when the weather gets more sunny, mostly in winter, they will also film there during early winter of 2019. Locations on the Faroe Islands that will be used are Trøllanes and Kalsoy island in the northern part of the Faroe Islands. Apparently, this helicopter will be used:
    9Sl2Smi.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Zekidk wrote: »
    wetnelly wrote: »
    You may be surprised to see what other countries feature; remember hardly any of the production crew ever went to China for SF
    I know. Though I understood it, I was very dissapointed that they faked China. I actually like to see Bond on location. It will be interesting for me to see how they fake Cuba using the Pinewood set.

Funnily enough I think they faked China on the same street that the Chris Pine Jack Ryan film faked Russia: Kenneth Branagh’s evil building was directly opposite in fact! :)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

If we can trust local newspapers like Sassilive, then we can't we trust local news gathering from some Danish islands :-)?

https://www.guidetofaroeislands.fo/history-culture/james-bond-faroe-islands-scenery

Apparently, a 2nd or 3rd unit is already there for filming aerial scenes. And when the weather gets more sunny, mostly in winter, they will also film there during early winter of 2019. Locations on the Faroe Islands that will be used are Trøllanes and Kalsoy island in the northern part of the Faroe Islands. Apparently, this helicopter will be used:
    9Sl2Smi.jpg

I bet that van is really gutted. They use the helicopter, but not the van.
    Guess having his photo on MI6 Community is the vans 15 minutes of fame. ;)
    Benny wrote: »

9Sl2Smi.jpg

LOL, do you bet a lot on such...stuff dear @Benny :-P?
  • PavloPavlo Ukraine
    Spoiler alert!
    Video with scene from filming at train station in Sapri.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden

9Sl2Smi.jpg

Sassilive worked with the Lotus-guys on location, day-by-day info/intel.

While that article in guidetofaroeislands only guessing. They "believe" this and that. So let's see instead of making it the truth now. Some schmuck have already listed it as a location on IMDB.

Prod. usually have two units, Main (principal cast) and Second. The latter for advanced time-consuming action stunts, major special effects scenes, and the use of choppercam plus a thing called Pick-ups (close-ups, inserts, cutaways, establishing shots with no need for principal cast to be present)

In the article it says Third Unit. More correct is "Additional second unit", with that unit director taking orders from Second Unit Directors or Assistant Directors.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    Pavlo wrote: »
    Spoiler alert!
    Loving this! Serious FRWL vibes.

9Sl2Smi.jpg

Sassilive worked with the Lotus-guys on location, day-by-day info/intel.

While that article in guidetofaroeislands only guessing. They "believe" this and that. So let's see instead of making it the truth now. Some schmuck have already listed it as a location on IMDB.

Prod. usually have two units, Main (principal cast) and Second. The latter for advanced time-consuming action stunts, major special effects scenes, and the use of choppercam plus a thing called Pick-ups (close-ups, inserts, cutaways, establishing shots with no need for principal cast to be present)

In the article it says Third Unit. More correct is "Additional second unit", with that unit director taking orders from Second Unit Directors or Assistant Directors.

Wonderful. But we can't have Lotus guys everywhere no? I never posted this as being it some kind of truth. And remember when we used to be careful when Sassilive earlier this year (February) was mentioning this Italy filming.

This news is what it is. No need to tag it with 'truth' on it, or 'guesswork' for that matter. It is what it is.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited September 2019 Posts: 8,253
    Spoiler alert!

Love that!! I think we know why Bond is alone in Jamaica:
    after almost both being killed, he puts her on the next train, promises to catch up with her. He watches the train leave, knowing he's going in the other direction...

9Sl2Smi.jpg

Yes of course.
    Will NTTD be a troubled production going forward? Like FRWL was. And look at the results there.
    Will the teaser trailer come out this week? Next week? Mid October?
    I guess patience really is a virtue.
    Will the trailer / poster emphasise this is Craig's last Bond film?
    I think not, as EON may be hoping to get Craig back for a sixth film. :-O :-SS
    And they're not going to give us that closure un-necessarily.
  • PavloPavlo Ukraine

This guy traditionally has not so bad insider's info. And he wrote very interesting, promising tweet about NTTD and IMAX.

9Sl2Smi.jpg

Yes of course.
    Will NTTD be a troubled production going forward? Like FRWL was. And look at the results there.
    Will the teaser trailer come out this week? Next week? Mid October?
    I guess patience really is a virtue.
    Will the trailer / poster emphasise this is Craig's last Bond film?
    I think not, as EON may be hoping to get Craig back for a sixth film. :-O :-SS
    And they're not going to give us that closure un-necessarily.

Really? How much money have you won as a result of it @Benny :-P I just wanted to post this article. Faroe Islands sounds great as a location. And by the looks (pictures) of it the cinematography could be great too.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2019 Posts: 5,834
    A comment like this will hopefully get a lot of people interested in seeing the film.

Excitement seems to be quite low with general audiences at the moment I think.
    Spoiler alert!

That's fantastic. From the brief snippets of filming and set shots we've seen, I'm loving the overall look of NTTD.
    When put together on the big screen come 2020, I'm hoping, this will be a Bond film we can all enjoy. It appears to have massive scale, with all the Bondian tropes, with beautiful scenery and cinematography. Here's hoping.
  • Zekidk wrote: »
    wetnelly wrote: »
    You may be surprised to see what other countries feature; remember hardly any of the production crew ever went to China for SF
    I know. Though I understood it, I was very dissapointed that they faked China. I actually like to see Bond on location. It will be interesting for me to see how they fake Cuba using the Pinewood set.

There was absolutely no reason that any of the main cast needed to be shipped out to China. There was what, the scene in the casino (on a set so film that in the studio), Craig swimming, driving through Shanghai and then the scene at the building that Bond follows Patrice too (all of which could and were reasonably shot on location in London). Locations are often 'faked' in films - for a variety of reasons, usually just logistics. Does it bother you that Morocco often doubles for Afghanistan and Andalucia in Spain often is used in films for scenes set in the Middle East?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited September 2019 Posts: 10,586
    Spoiler alert!
    God damn, this looks good.
  • Based on the clapperboards, BTS footage, and plot/story structure so far I have an idea of how things may shake out, but there are some unknowns that raise some interesting questions.
    - We open in Norway with the scene of the young girl at the cabin being visited by the masked man, she runs across the frozen lake and escapes (or falls through the ice) as the man shoots at her.
    - Presumably, the opening credits
    - Bond and Madeleine arrive in Matera and we have a “honeymoon” sequence similar to the Venice scenes in CR.
    - Bond visits Vespers grave, which then explodes, and kicks off the chase sequence where Bond rushes back to the hotel in a foot/bike chase to get Madeleine. I know there was talk of this balcony set being blown up/destroyed so perhaps it’s a bit of a ticking timebomb sequence. Bond is shot while running along the bridge, and later jumps off, holding on to a rope to escape.
    - He ends up rescuing Madeleine in time, throws her in the DB5 and they make their escape during the car chase.
    - After escaping the assailants, Bond takes her to the train station and sends her away for her safety (maybe he promises he’ll come find her and never does).
    - We fast forward a few years to Bond living alone in Jamaica, knowing he can no longer live a secure life with the woman he loves.

Now this is where I get curious because according to the synopsis, Felix makes contact with Bond to get his help in rescuing the kidnapped scientist, HOWEVER, we also see Nomi making contact with Bond in Jamaica as well. Is she there to recruit Bond back as well? Is she assisting Felix? Is she there to prevent Felix from engaging Bond? As well, what is it about this rescue mission that entices Bond to return? Boredom with civilian life? A connection to Madeleine?

- Bond goes to Cuba (likely on Felix’s behalf due to complications with the CIA operating in Cuba), we have the Cuba action set piece, where I assume we learn more about the danger/risk with this new technology involving Malek and the kidnapped scientist, so Bond returns to MI6 to gain the proper resources he needs to neutralize/investigate this threat.
    - Bond goes to MI6 to return to active duty, only to find out that he’s been replaced by Nomi as the new 007, we have a little tension/friction before they’re inevitably forced to join forces to take down the villain.

We do know that later in the film Bond, Nomi, and likely Madeline end up in Norway for another action sequence, but how does Madeleine get reintroduced to the story? Perhaps this is where he “screwing Bond over” comes in? As well, we know there is an explosion that takes place at Porton Down, that likely has something to do with the scientist/Malek.

Lastly, based on what we know from Boyle’s departure, that he wanted to kill off Bond while they wanted to leave some ambiguity about whether or not he is alive. Are we still ending on this note??

I can’t wait to find out where this story is headed, there are so many fascinating possibilities and questions unanswered.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Is anyone else getting the vibe that Craig's portrayal of Bond in this film is more akin to the Bond of CR and QOS, as opposed to other two? The way he moves in the clip from the train station reaffirmed that impression.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 1,215
    jake24 wrote: »
    Is anyone else getting the vibe that Craig's portrayal of Bond in this film is more akin to the Bond of CR and QOS, as opposed to other two? The way he moves in the clip from the train station reaffirmed that impression.

CJF had stated Casino Royale is his favourite Bond film and those portrayals of Bond seem more in line with his sensibilities as a writer/director, so that’s what I’m anticipating.
    Craig seems way more visceral in the scenes shown so far very similar to CR.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Spoiler alert!

At first sight I thought it was Ralph Fiennes in the first frame.