"Attempting re-entry", Moonraker appreciation thread

Comments

• edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Ok, I know this is off-topic, but who would you have liked to see instead? Dalton from 1969-1999?

That would've been awesome. Change OHMSS into CR though, works better that way as Dalton was a bit young for OHMSS.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    oo7 wrote:
    Aw i dont know when bond was gonna put a bullet through both his and camilles head i dont really think that was very bondy

In the novel, Live And Let Die, Bond and Solitaire, are being keelhauled. To prevent Solitaire from falling prey to sharks and barracuda, Bond planned to kill her, to save her the agonising death that awaited them. Also Bond would have usd Solitaire's lifeless body to drown himself.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Moore was past it after FYEO, please you poor deluded Rog fans thinking he's could have still played the part up to 1993, most of scenes in VTAK were stuntmen I'm surprised they didn't ask for a cut of his salary on that film.

Roger Moore turned James Bond into a joke!

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Shardlake wrote:
    Moore was past it after FYEO, please you poor deluded Rog fans thinking he's could have still played the part up to 1993, most of scenes in VTAK were stuntmen I'm surprised they didn't ask for a cut of his salary on that film.

Totally agree with that. Though the producers and writers have to most of the responsibility for that. Cubby just wouldn't let Roger go.
    Shardlake wrote:

Totally agree with that. Though the producers and writers have to most of the responsibility for that. Cubby just wouldn't let Roger go.

The alternative might have been an "American", I rather Roger Moore every day of the week and twice in the weekend. O:-)

• edited May 2012 Posts: 1,082
    Shardlake wrote:

You ought to be ashamed. ;) :D

But if Moore turned Bond into a joke, it was a really good one at that. And I think he deserved every penny of his salary. I'd even say he was underpaid. No money in the world is enough for Roger's magnificent perfomances.
    My first trip to the cinema to see a Bond movie was TWINE when I snuck in with my dad underage so I'm guessing with my theory.

But surely those who saw the Connery pics at the cinema were more disappointed with QOS than MR, simply because with MR, you knew what you were getting kind of? QOS was built up and hyped so much, it failed to deliver big time?

Just a theory I'm putting out there

I thought we were talking about MR not comparing it with QoS. I can play that game - when you went to see FYEO did you think DAD would be a load of crud? When you went to see Diamonds did you know TWINE would suck?

As someone who watched MR on release - I enjoyed it but even aged 10 I knew some bits were shit.

• I find that Roger Moore fans often seem to keep their tongue firmly in cheek, and, like their hero, don't tend to take criticism terribly seriously (in general). Sir Rog's self-deprecation adds greatly to his charm, and he has often joked about his creaking joints in his later Bond films.

What he never lost was his impeccable timing, screen presence, and sense of fun. He was clearly always James Bond, albeit an ageing one. Had he hung up his holster after FYEO, we would never have had his twinkling performance in Octopussy.

Besides, Cubby needed Moore in 1983. Who else was going to be able to stand toe-to-toe with McClory and Connery?

And Cubby and Rog beat them too....
    I find that Roger Moore fans often seem to keep their tongue firmly in cheek, and, like their hero, don't tend to take criticism terribly seriously (in general).

I can only speak for myself, but I am a Moore fan and this is spot on.
    What he never lost was his impeccable timing, screen presence, and sense of fun. He was clearly always James Bond, albeit an ageing one. Had he hung up his holster after FYEO, we would never have had his twinkling performance in Octopussy.

True. And that performance (OP) was IMO worthy of an oscar! Sure he had some wrinkles in OP (those were fewer in numbers after the facelifts), but he still was the king.
    Besides, Cubby needed Moore in 1983. Who else was going to be able to stand toe-to-toe with McClory and Connery?

And Cubby and Rog beat them too....

Connery's performance in NSNA was IMO outstanding, but Moore was even better in OP. This plus the fact that OP beat NSNA at the box office can only mean one thing. Let's face it, Moore is much better than Connery. ;)
    I'm watching Moonraker right now, but really feel I should just switch off maybe, we're at the G-force simulator scene now, could well be the best sequence of the movie, this is superb, Bond in real danger and Moore looks the deal as shaken and disorientated when the ride is over, too bad the awful Lois Chiles appears a lot during this and the rest of the film, she really spoils it. This sequence here is truly excellent and would of been fitting as the actual pre credits sequence, without the Q wrist dart, bond would of been toast..
    Think this will do for this night, but just saw the Dufour mauling by the dobermans and would the dogs actually have killed her, seemed like a bit of a nod to The Boys From Brazil which was incidentally released the year before, dog attacks and all, and wondered just then if there was any association, James Bond has always stolen ideas off other movies and this release was no different, I wonder if Dufour really was killed, it was implied for sure, maybe dobermans got a bit bored and had a few bites and left her alone or she played dead or something

Anyway, Bond is in Venice now, and here comes the stupid gondola sequence with knife throwing dracula types, it's not even a damn Q boat!, where do all those fancy stuff come from, the Saint Marks Square bit will be on any moment, I'll just see the double taking pigeon and then that will be enough, could get a bit hooked on this damn nonsense if not careful 8-|

There it was, what a load of nonsense, switching it all off - Goodnight I-)
    Think this will do for this night, but just saw the Dufour mauling by the dobermans and would the dogs actually have killed her, seemed like a bit of a nod to The Boys From Brazil which was incidentally released the year before, dog attacks and all, and wondered just then if there was any association, James Bond has always stolen ideas off other movies and this release was no different, I wonder if Dufour really was killed, it was implied for sure, maybe dobermans got a bit bored and had a few bites and left her alone or she played dead or something

Anyway, Bond is in Venice now, and here comes the stupid gondola sequence with knife throwing dracula types, it's not even a damn Q boat!, where do all those fancy stuff come from, the Saint Marks Square bit will be on any moment, I'll just see the double taking pigeon and then that will be enough, could get a bit hooked on this damn nonsense if not careful 8-|

There it was, what a load of nonsense, switching it all off - Goodnight I-)

You could borrow my brain. Then you would realise the greatness of MR. How can someone not like the Venedig gondola chase. :D The knife throwing scene is so good, as is the rest of the movie.
  • This myth that Moore should have left after FYEO insults the quality of Octopussy and Moore's performance in it
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    You could borrow my brain.

I'd be surprised if Baltimore_007 would want to take charge of such shoddy goods 007RogerMoore.
    Lets face it Rog has buckets of charm but lets be honest he's not much of an actor.

I love the way RM fans try to say he has hidden depths, he's incredibly limited and his Spitting Image puppet is quite accurate. He pretty much plays Roger Moore in every film he's been in with the odd exceptions.
    Shardlake wrote:
    Lets face it Rog has buckets of charm but lets be honest he's not much of an actor.

I love the way RM fans try to say he has hidden depths, he's incredibly limited and his Spitting Image puppet is quite accurate. He pretty much plays Roger Moore in every film he's been in with the odd exceptions.

How many movies with Moore have you seen outside of his 007 oevre?

O:-)
  • I've watched Sir Roger's TV series and several of his movies and feel he is an excellent actor, for whatever it's worth. Granted though he isn't Sir Sean or Daniel ;)
    This myth that Moore should have left after FYEO insults the quality of Octopussy and Moore's performance in it

Agreed.
    You could borrow my brain.

I'd be surprised if Baltimore_007 would want to take charge of such shoddy goods 007RogerMoore.

Don't forget that my IQ level is 979.
    Shardlake wrote:

He is extremely good at portraying Roger Moore then. And he is very good in the serious scenes, as well as the comical ones. I'd say this makes him the greatest Bond actor.

Shardlake wrote:

In fairness is Sean any different?

In practically every film hes in they have to contrive some reason why his character hails from Scotland.
  • Regarding actors apparently 'playing themselves' in every film: Didn't Cary Grant? Didn't John Wayne? Many of the biggest stars ever to have lived have been accused of that. Is that such a great sin, anyway? It didn't stop the public flocking to the box-offices, and it didn't harm the affection the public had for them.

Moore was right for the role of James Bond (his 'buckets of charm' proved to be very handy for that job); he wasn't playing the part of Hamlet.
    Shardlake wrote:

In fairness is Sean any different?

In practically every film hes in they have to contrive some reason why his character hails from Scotland.

I would have to agree with that, SC gets away with is charisma and gravitas but it becomes a little tiring after a while. DC & TD are easily the best actors to play the role with DC edging it for me.

I've seen plenty of films with Rog in outside of Bond, he has no depth full stop, yeah he made a charming Bond and that is it and please don't compare him to Cary Grant as for John Wayne I have no time for him at all.

• I didn't compare him talent-wise with Wayne or Grant. I'm sure you could see, and recognise, the point I was making.
  • Whilst SC is a real star with bucket-fulls of talent, he did tend to play only a couple of 'types' of characters in his films: the charming rouge, or the mentor.
  • True, and yet, the best actor does not necessarily make the best Bond. This would be a dreadfully dull forum if we all had the same opinion. For all their technical faults, for all their limitations, in my opinion Sean Connery is the greatest Bond of them all (in his prime, by some distance) and Roger Moore is worth five minutes of anybody's time.
    Getafix wrote:
    MR has the cable car scene, or am I mistaken? That's enough in itself to save the movie from complete damnation.

That would actually be a reason for me to completely shred the disc to pieces. Quite honestly, I dislike the cable car scene. It's not dangerous or exciting, and the background shots or really horrific.
    Who's defending the cable car scene ? :O

The people who filmed that nonsense were probably involved in the Blair Witch Project or even Quantum of Solace even, there was so much shaking about and camera jerking you sometimes feel dizzy after a viewing

Moonraker is complete unmitigated nonsense, for sure, and the Cable car sequence above Rio De Janiero is truly cringeworthy, how anybody can give it plaudits is beyond my comprehension. It's embarrassing, shoddily done and so unrealistic, and then to crown it all, Moore and Chiles slide down the cable on a chain, and the car speeds up with Jaws inside and then, -

actually no need to go on, everybody is aware of the nonsense of this sequence 8-|
  • The cable car scene was extremely dangerous for Dickie Graydon....
    Yeah feel free to slag off the back projection and the Jaws jump but have respect for Graydons contribution which is top notch stunt work.
    Here's why MR isn't that bad:

"What was that for?"

"For saving my life"

"Remind me more often"

LEGEND!! :D
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Roger Moore has no depth ? please !! go watch 'The Man Who Haunted Himself'...