NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

• ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Last thing I've heard: they want to introduce images of Matera and that's the reason of the "delay". No later than next week...

25th? 2nd?
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Last thing I've heard: they want to introduce images of Matera and that's the reason of the "delay". No later than next week...

25th? 2nd?

Ooh thanks, would certainly make sense..and explain why we haven't seen it rated yet or why I haven't heard a peep about this on my end.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 4,400
    ggl007 wrote: »

25th? 2nd?

Hmmmm........I'm very suspicious now. Sounds like the whole 'James Bond Day' title reveal situation all over again.

I think @ggl007 is legit. But whoever his Italy source is, he is very very very unreliable.

Also, throwing out two dates that are a week apart is the definition of 'hedging your bets'.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 4,619
    If we don't get the trailer by next Friday, the 4th of October, I'm gonna dropkick EON Productions.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    If we don't get the trailer by next Friday, the 4th of October, I'm gonna dropkick EON Productions.
    Give it until the 5th.
  • skropper13skropper13 United States
    Welp I guess we can assume no trailer tomorrow
  • GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona
    jake24 wrote: »
    Give it until the 5th.

On my birthday. Always the best date :-P
    skropper13 wrote: »
    Welp I guess we can assume no trailer tomorrow

Unless they drop it out of nowhere... But yeah sounds like nothing just yet.

As other have said though, would give it until Joker's release on the evening of the 3rd, if not James Bond day on the 5th (Eon actually dropped the final SP trailer three days after it hit cinemas with The Walk).

I'll be at both the BFI James Bond day screenings/Q&As this weekend and the Skyfall Live in Concert the following week so I wonder, though it is unlikely, whether anyone there from EON may spill some details...
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    If it's not this week, it will be next week. That's pretty much guaranteed at this point.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 4,619
    As far as Average Joe knows, NTTD is a troubled production. The teaser trailer has to be A+, no ifs ands or buts. I'm talking GoldenEye teaser trailer level good.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited September 2019 Posts: 1,165
    As far as Average Joe knows, NTTD is a troubled production. The teaser trailer has to be A+, no ifs ands or buts. I'm talking GoldenEye teaser trailer level good.
    As far as the Average Joe knows, NTTD is just a movie that will release sometime and maybe there is a black female 007. Normal people barely follow film production as obsessively as the fandom does.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Minion wrote: »
    As far as the Average Joe knows, NTTD is just a movie that will release sometime and maybe there is a black female 007. Normal people barely follow film production as obsessively as the fandom does.
    +1
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 3,164

Yup.

Though I will say the sentiment among the 'tastemakers' (critics, film journalists/influencers/YouTubers particularly American ones) appears to be a bit more dour. The whole 'cursed production' thing over the number of false starts including Boyle leaving, US critics specifically being either mixed or negative on Spectre, the overall sentiment that Bond is played out and the franchise should just move on...but the Phoebe Waller-Bridge involvement and the female 007 angle has certainly upped the much needed optimism surrounding the project on these corners.

So I'd agree , the teaser does need to do a great job of things and if the early intel is to go by (supposedly focused on the stunning potentially series-best cinematography, a supposed 'wow' moment etc) it might just do that. As opposed to a more bare bones/little footage piece like the SP teaser (though I really liked it and let's face it , off the highs of Skyfall they could do that)
  • GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona

Well, it's a fact really. NTTD indeed is (was) a troubled production. I have been critical towards many aspects of pre-production of this 25th Bond flick. However, when it was announced that Cary Fukunaga would direct, I got a smile on my face. If it wasn't for his nerdy, hands-on, improvising, multitasking, 'athletic' style of filmmaking (let's not forget, this is the first time ever in Bond history that the Bond director is also a Bond writer), some of my criticism would have been harsher.

But in the end, even if NTTD is a troubled production, it's all about the final product that will be put on display worldwide next April. Thàt's what counts. And in the end that's what also decides its longevity in the cinemas. Not a trailer.

So far I remain critical (we all should be critical in an objective way), but the fact that finally EON/MGM sees some light (remember MGM warning 'us' a few weeks back?) and puts positive social media buzz (Cary's Instagram) more front and center, most likely also because this is Cary Fukunaga's style, makes me entirely satisfied. And although it's not a guarantee for a great movie, seeing the crew, Cary, Daniel, Barbara, having so much fun, obviously helps in making such mammoth productions (working 13 hours a day, 7 days a week) also a positive experience for everyone involved.

Trailers won't make or break all of this. "SPECTRE" had a fantastic teaser, but the end result….
    Trailers won't make or break all of this. "SPECTRE" had a fantastic teaser, but the end result….

... fantastic as well. :D

Given how cool the Jamaica video was, I think this teaser will be absolutely great. I truly can't wait to see some Sandgren worlk.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 1,165

Well, it's a fact really. NTTD indeed is (was) a troubled production. I have been critical towards many aspects of pre-production of this 25th Bond flick. However, when it was announced that Cary Fukunaga would direct, I got a smile on my face. If it wasn't for his nerdy, hands-on, improvising, multitasking, 'athletic' style of filmmaking (let's not forget, this is the first time ever in Bond history that the Bond director is also a Bond writer), some of my criticism would have been harsher.

But in the end, even if NTTD is a troubled production, it's all about the final product that will be put on display worldwide next April. Thàt's what counts. And in the end that's what also decides its longevity in the cinemas. Not a trailer.

So far I remain critical (we all should be critical in an objective way), but the fact that finally EON/MGM sees some light (remember MGM warning 'us' a few weeks back?) and puts positive social media buzz (Cary's Instagram) more front and center, most likely also because this is Cary Fukunaga's style, makes me entirely satisfied. And although it's not a guarantee for a great movie, seeing the crew, Cary, Daniel, Barbara, having so much fun, obviously helps in making such mammoth productions (working 13 hours a day, 7 days a week) also a positive experience for everyone involved.

That’s all well and good, but I was only addressing @PanchitoPistoles’s claim that the “Average Joe” is up to date on every facet of the BTS of NTTD.

Which they are not.
    matt_u wrote: »

Given how cool the Jamaica video was, I think this teaser will be absolutely great. I truly can't wait to see some Sandgren worlk.

Same. And I'll be honest, my main interest is on its cinematography and overall feel.
    Univex wrote: »

Same. And I'll be honest, my main interest is on its cinematography and overall feel.

Yes. I think the main focus of this teaser will be related to the Jamaica stuff, BTW. Not only because they shot it first, but because I have the feeling those Carribbean scenes could be a a prominent example of how this film will, eventually, feel and sound different from the more retro two.

Yes. I think the main focus of this teaser will be related to the Jamaica stuff, BTW. Not only because they shot it first, but because I have the feeling those Carribbean scenes could be a a prominent example of how this film will, eventually, feel and sound different from the more retro two.

I surely hope so.

BTW, should we keep hopes up regarding the trailer being dropped tomorrow at 16h?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

That’s all well and good, but I was only addressing @PanchitoPistoles’s claim that the “Average Joe” is up to date on every facet of the BTS of NTTD.

Which they are not.

Correct.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 4,343

I surely hope so.

BTW, should we keep hopes up regarding the trailer being dropped tomorrow at 16h?

I prefer not to think about it. Just like with the title. Since a teaser release within the next 10 days is pretty much a given, my mantra until that bloody moment is: No time to hype.
    Skyfall's teaser came out 200 days after principle filing started. That would be a November teaser drop for NTTD.
    If the 007 franchise needs a black female as 007 to attract the audience something is definitely wrong
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    If the 007 franchise needs a black female as 007 to attract the audience something is definitely wrong
    That’s an oversimplification of what’s happening, but ok.
  • PavloPavlo Ukraine
    Maybe someone knows - did producers release first poster and teaser trailer together with SF and SP (for example)? Or was there some time between them?
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Pavlo wrote: »
    Maybe someone knows - did producers release first poster and teaser trailer together with SF and SP (for example)? Or was there some time between them?

The first poster for Spectre came out the same day the title was released,
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    That’s an oversimplification of what’s happening, but ok.

So far, they’ve not done anything to market that it’s craigs last, the bts footage has shown no stunts done real world. We need some Bette buzz off this film

I surely hope so.

I prefer not to think about it. Just like with the title. Since a teaser release within the next 10 days is pretty much a given, my mantra until that bloody moment is: No time to hype.

Quite right you are, Mr. Roark. Will do the same.
    Someone wrote: »
    Skyfall's teaser came out 200 days after principle filing started. That would be a November teaser drop for NTTD.

Yeah but SP teaser came out two months before the SF one... so this means nothing. We know the teaser is ready to be released, it's happening.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 2,436

Most films involve their challenges. (To be honest just getting a production greenlit and off the ground is an achievement all in itself.) You could define most productions as 'troubled' in that sense. Why does No Time to Die seem to be more troubled? Because it's Bond, tabloid journalists know that people will read their columns on it and we live in the age of social media.