Shocking homeless numbers in central London

edited September 2019 in General Discussion Posts: 1,661
I went up to the West End of London yesterday evening. I haven't been up there for some time and I was shocked by the amount of homeless sleeping in the most expensive areas of London. Places like Knightsbridge, New Bond Street/Old Bond Street. I walked past a top hotel with a super expensive sports car outside and turned down a side road and there were people sleeping in the doorways of very expensive clothes/fashion stores. It's insane how you got incredibly wealthy people - perhaps in the top 5 percent in the UK or even the world (lots of rich Middle Eastern arabs frequent Knightsbridge, some of those people are mega rich) and a few feet away, quite literally, the poorest people in the UK. Really depressing. I gave some coins to some of the homeless although many may use cash to feed drugs or alcohol habit. Most people just walk by off to night club, restaurant or cinema. They don't give a damn but hey, that's life.

You should never take your home for granted. Be grateful for what you got. When you see how some people live it does make you aware of what you've got. If you want to see mega wealth and mega poverty go to central London. It's almost surreal. It's shocking. I guess 'austerity' had made a huge impact on the homeless. Apparently there has been a huge rise in homelessness since 2010 when austerity was implemented. Due to the dreaded Brexit issue, homelessness doesn't seem that important to politicians.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/west-london-news/kensington-chelsea-homeless-poverty-streets-16512565

Comments

• edited September 2019 Posts: 19,339
    This has nothing to do with Brexit , the police used to move them on out of areas like Mayfair but it’s mainly all foreigners now dressed like shit but suddenly use their top of the range mobile phone and when their shift is up another one replaces them.
    This doesn’t apply universally in London of course but over 31 years of working there and being born and raised there i know most of it is a scam for commuters and do-Gooders.
    Most of them are richer than me and other Brits.
    Last year I saw one wz a dog so bought a tin of dog food (never give money) and the man took it,looked at it and then me in disgust,stored it away and told me to fuck off in a Russian/Polish accent .
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    I went up to the West End of London yesterday evening. I haven't been up there for some time and I was shocked by the amount of homeless sleeping in the most expensive areas of London. Places like Knightsbridge, New Bond Street/Old Bond Street. I walked past a top hotel with a super expensive sports car outside and turned down a side road and there were people sleeping in the doorways of very expensive clothes/fashion stores. It's insane how you got incredibly wealthy people - perhaps in the top 5 percent in the UK or even the world (lots of rich Middle Eastern arabs frequent Knightsbridge, some of those people are mega rich) and a few feet away, quite literally, the poorest people in the UK. Really depressing. I gave some coins to some of the homeless although many may use cash to feed drugs or alcohol habit. Most people just walk by off to night club, restaurant or cinema. They don't give a damn but hey, that's life.

You should never take your home for granted. Be grateful for what you got. When you see how some people live it does make you aware of what you've got. If you want to see mega wealth and mega poverty go to central London. It's almost surreal. It's shocking. I guess 'austerity' had made a huge impact on the homeless. Apparently there has been a huge rise in homelessness since 2010 when austerity was implemented. Due to the dreaded Brexit issue, homelessness doesn't seem that important to politicians.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/west-london-news/kensington-chelsea-homeless-poverty-streets-16512565

100% agree with you. This is what usually happens when the Conservative Party is in power for 10 years.
    Getafix wrote: »

100% agree with you. This is what usually happens when the Conservative Party is in power for 10 years.

Seriously?? Were you around in 1977 by any chance ?
    Homelessness is a collective failure of society.
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    Couldn't agree more @RogueAgent . Having a home should be a human right. If people actually NOTICED each other in this bloody world things would be a lot different.
    God ain't failed us, we failed Him.

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    You should see what's Rome is becoming...

barboni-stazione-termini-1049645_tn.jpg
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »

Seriously?? Were you around in 1977 by any chance ?

No but I do remember London in the 80s and early 90s.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    BondStu wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more @RogueAgent . Having a home should be a human right. If people actually NOTICED each other in this bloody world things would be a lot different.
    God ain't failed us, we failed Him.

Most people I know don't even care about themselves. Destroying the very planet they live in because "it's their right".
    matt_u wrote: »
    You should see what's Rome is becoming...

barboni-stazione-termini-1049645_tn.jpg

I think with the amount of mass migration across and into Europe this will happen. It is a saddening state of affairs. It will sadly breed ill feeling to the less fortunate and spiral to other places potentially or possibly more sinister.