EON's 'The Rhythm Section' (2020)

Comments

Minion wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Perhaps a small release in November looking for awards in awards season next year.

Nah, this isn't at all an awards title...

Yeah, this is an action thriller, not Oscar material at all.
    In an era where a comic book movie can be nominated, anything is possible.

at least Black Panther was positioned during Oscar time as an awards title, with special screenings and so on...so definitely don't count this as such a title.

Anyway, looks like indeed pushed back to February 2020 - https://www.dcm.co.uk/news/latest-film-release-changes-31-july-2019
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited August 2019 Posts: 5,185
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Is there an Oscar category for hottest lady on the planet?

No but there should be.
    The Bond franchise would have many more oscars then.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Can't they just dump this thing directly onto home video or Netflix and be done with it. It seems like anytime there's any news on it it's about a delay. Eon can't get a Bond film together in less than 4 years these days and any other project gets roughly the same treatment.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Can't they just dump this thing directly onto home video or Netflix and be done with it. It seems like anytime there's any news on it it's about a delay. Eon can't get a Bond film together in less than 4 years these days and any other project gets roughly the same treatment.

It stands a better chance at the BO against 'Gretel and Hansel', then it would have against 'Frozen 2' and 'A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood'.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Dumping it in January doesn't spell hope and optimism for this film.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    There's Birds of Prey and The King's Man coming the following 2 weeks after The Rhythm Section, both likely to be R rated too. They'll take away some of the potential box office earnings of this film.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Or it just means it´s not a big budget blockbuster, which says nothing about its quality.
    But it does feel a bit strange that it takes so long. About the last vital thing we heard about the film was that there was a delay because Blake Lively hurt her hand, but that seems to have been already in 2017. It doesn´t seem probable that that delay should have been several years.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

About time. Looking forward to seeing what it looks like as a sum of its parts.
    Nice, simple poster. Although that doesn't look like Lively at all. I mean, even her profile. Shapes and all ;)

Didn't know Law was in this. Cool. Looking forward for the trailer drop tomorrow.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Or it just means it´s not a big budget blockbuster, which says nothing about its quality.
    But it does feel a bit strange that it takes so long. About the last vital thing we heard about the film was that there was a delay because Blake Lively hurt her hand, but that seems to have been already in 2017. It doesn´t seem probable that that delay should have been several years.

I mean, it's almost never a good sign when a film is delayed without much word numerous times, only to be dropped into a month like January, but I'm still optimistic. I guess we'll see how it looks come tomorrow.
  • I'm actually interested in this. It seems like they've been interested in doing a female led spy film without the baggage of Bond for a while but nothing has ever come of it (scrapped Wai Lin and Jinx spinoffs), so I'm thinking this one must have had a good idea behind it for them to have finally pulled the trigger. And Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool was meant to be pretty good wasn't it, although to be honest, because of the general lack of fanfare surrounding it, I did wonder if it only got its BAFTA noms because of BB being BAFTA president.
    If that shot form the poster is anything to go by, I´m totally in. That foto is very much to my liking.

915957e7-0727-45c9-ac8e-a0803c6b6d01-trs_dom_online_teaser_1-sheet_standing_window_v22.jpg?w=646&fit=max&auto=format&q=70&dpr=2
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2019 Posts: 15,686
    Edit: @antovolk was quicker!

The trailer looks proper badass. Day 1 for me now!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    That actually looks very good.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 5,185
    Looks cool, and i am glad this is not some lame attempt at making a female Bond spin off as people thought. Instead this looks like a small scale, realistic drama about a woman being consumed by revenge. Closer in style to The American or Red Sparrow. Probably a one off as well.

I might give this a watch in cinemas when it comes out.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    If it wasn't for EoN involvement, I'd never even watched the trailer.
    I'll check it out eventually, has similar vibes to Anna and Red Sparrow (battered girl seeking revenge in some fashion, usage of wigs, etc.). Looks very stylish and I dig the cast.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    00Agent wrote: »
    Looks cool, and i am glad this is not some lame attempt at making a female Bond spin off as people thought. Instead this looks like a small scale, realistic drama about a woman being consumed by revenge. Closer in style to The American or Red Sparrow. Probably a one off as well.

Are they planning to make only single film or series?
    edited September 2019 Posts: 5,185

I have no idea, but it doesn't look to me like this is going to be a series. Just doesn't seem like the type of film for that.

EDIT: Ok, so aparently there is a series of books this is based on, so it might turn into a series of films if this one is successful.

It is a book series so if this one doesn't flop then...
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

I thought they were hoping to adapt all of the novels.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    edited September 2019 Posts: 524
    It actually looks quite decent. Indeed quite small and drama-ish, but that's expected. Blake Lively is convincing, I must say.

A bit surprised they didn't go for
    FROM THE PRODUCERS OF
    JAMES BOND

as a title card.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

It is a book series so if this one doesn't flop then...

This is an announced flop.
    Red_Snow wrote: »

EON have the rights to all of them, yes.

And likewise @DeerAtTheGates, surprised they didn't go for that and I wonder why.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    It actually looks quite decent. Indeed quite small and drama-ish, but that's expected. Blake Lively is convincing, I must say.

FROM THE PRODUCERS OF
    JAMES BOND

as a title card.

*puts on tin foil hat*

Proof that feminazi Barbara Broccoli hates the James Bond movies and wants to supplant it with teh womenz agenda!!!11111
    *tin foil hat off*

;)
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    Red_Snow wrote: »

EON have the rights to all of them, yes.

And likewise @DeerAtTheGates, surprised they didn't go for that and I wonder why.

I suppose because they want this to be on its own: small film, different public, different messages. This is the Broccoli/Wilson creative and artistic branch, away from Bond. Fine by me to market it as such, but that's not how you get money out of your film.
  • GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona

FROM THE PRODUCERS OF
    JAMES BOND

as a title card.

That's the thing. EON Productions Ltd. have all the wonderful creative abilities to make a damn good film. And having watched the trailer, it will be a must-see for me personally. This certainly is "Atomic Blonde" meets "Haywire" meets "Jason Bourne" and then with a slightly arty feel to it. This is Barbara Broccoli's 'new baby' in way. The Eon Productions-logo is heavily featured on this film whereas on Bond there's no mention of it (Same with "Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool").

But with such a strategy also comes risk...financial risk. Letting this premiere one week before "DC's Birds Of Prey" and two weeks before "Marv's The King's Man" doesn't bode well. Hence it has all the cards of becoming a 'critically acclaimed film losing money'. Which would be sad, as I obviously hope for Barbara personally that this will do well.

However, for me as a Bond-fan I am more conflicted. All the production time Barbara Broccoli & Michael Wilson didn't spent on Bond, went to "The Rhythmn Section". And although I do admire Barbara for rooting for female producers/actors/directors, isn't there a tiny bit of marketeer in her wanting to brand this as "From the producers of James Bond"? She also has to take into account Paramount Pictures who wanted to pick up this project and finance it. Why not a bit more ambitious campaign. So one can guarantee a sequel.

By the way: I am aware of the fact that Blake Lively was injured for a long period. So it's not only about wanting this to plan better. There are obviously unforeseeable circumstances that can take place. But there shouldn't be a reason to be so….'distant' with Bond when you are producing a non-Bond-Eon-film like this. Perhaps Barbara Broccoli really is that rich and powerful that she needn't to worry and can do whatever she wants, regardless of Bond(fans)…