NTTD: The Clapperboard thread

Comments

• edited September 2019 Posts: 151
    slyfox wrote: »
    The scene I watched here in Matera two days ago. Bond and Swann arriving at their hotel entrance with the hotel staff carrying their luggage in after them. Scene 19.

Wow. OK. What the hell happens to Jamaica then and Felix Leiter? That would have to be the PTS, which would be odd, and then the Norway scene is a Madeleine dream and she wakes up with Bond in the car as they are arriving in Matera. But, why is Bond in Matera with Madeleine and not going after the kidnapped scientist with Leiter? None of it makes sense.
    Someone wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    We've already established that Matera is scene 19-50s, likely with some location jumping in between.

Scenes 19-50s? Eh, how did you decide that? I think the earliest clapperboard we've seen is for scene 37, which would be 26 minutes, and the latest scene we have is 48, which is 34 minutes. Norway is scene 15K, which is about 11 minutes. Where did you get scene 19 from? What clapperboard is that?

Not sure where you are getting your scene timings from? Scenes can be short, moving quickly from scene to scene, particularly action or very dramatic and pacy scenes. For example; one of the action based scripts I am the writer on has 19 scenes in the first 9 pages, approx 6-7 mins of screen time.
    The scene I watched here in Matera two days ago. Bond and Swann arriving at their hotel entrance with the hotel staff carrying their luggage in after them. Scene 19.

Wow. OK. What the hell happens to Jamaica then and Felix Leiter? That would have to be the PTS, which would be odd, and then the Norway scene is a Madeleine dream and she wakes up with Bond in the car as they are arriving in Matera. But, why is Bond in Matera with Madeleine and not going after the kidnapped scientist with Leiter? None of it makes sense.

Jamaica and Cuba are after Matera. Most likely present day (2020). I suspect the Matera scenes will be a continuation of Spectre so years earlier.
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    We've already established that Matera is scene 19-50s, likely with some location jumping in between.

Scenes 19-50s? Eh, how did you decide that? I think the earliest clapperboard we've seen is for scene 37, which would be 26 minutes. Norway is scene 15K, which is about 11 minutes. Where did you get scene 19 from? What clapperboard is that?

Not sure where you are getting your scene timings from? Scenes can be short, moving quickly from scene to scene, particularly action or very dramatic and pacy scenes. For example; one of the action based scripts I am the writer on has 19 scenes in the first 9 pages, approx 6-7 mins of screen time.

It's an average. I worked out by looking at the Skyfall and Spectre clapperboards and watching the movies and seeing when, how many minutes into the film, the scene fell in the movie, and when you divide the total amount of seconds by the scene number, a number around 42 seconds pops out.

Jamaica and Cuba are after Matera. Most likely present day (2020). I suspect the Matera scenes will be a continuation of Spectre so years earlier.

But, that means Barbara Broccoli's comments about how the film starts were wrong and it means we don't actually get into the proper story, with Leiter and the mission, until about 50 minutes in. Fifty minutes to kill Madeleine and send Bond to a new life in Jamaica? I don't buy it. And WTF is the PTS?

Agreed. I think, from what we are seeing, scenes 1 - 15 are pre-title - Norway and then perhaps some kind of re-introduction to Bond and Madeleine following from the end of SP (reminding the audience of where we are in their story), perhaps some action or suggestion they are being watched/followed by Spectre agents, setting up the fact they can't escape to a new life very easily - so a more low key but suspenseful opening. Then after the titles, we kick off with scene 16, Bond and Madeleine now in Italy driving to Matera along the coastal road, and scenes 17 and 18 is them arriving in the town and Bond, slightly on edge, thinking they may have been followed/watched, and sc. 19., as witnessed by @slyfox, is Bond and Madeleine entering the hotel. Next day, all the sh** hits the fan!!! Or, all of this happens as pre-titles, a sort of mini-movie, and the longest Bond opening ever, but explains how Bond's and Madeleine's attempt to find a new a life together is wrecked, leaving Bond alone when, after the titles, we find him in Jamaica a few years later.
    Bond will be in Jamaica by the 30-35 minute mark with two hours left in the film
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

Agreed. I think, from what we are seeing, scenes 1 - 15 are pre-title - Norway and then perhaps some kind of re-introduction to Bond and Madeleine following from the end of SP (reminding the audience of where we are in their story), perhaps some action or suggestion they are being watched/followed by Spectre agents, setting up the fact they can't escape to a new life very easily - so a more low key but suspenseful opening. Then after the titles, we kick off with scene 16, Bond and Madeleine now in Italy driving to Matera along the coastal road, and scenes 17 and 18 is them arriving in the town and Bond, slightly on edge, thinking they may have been followed/watched, and sc. 19., as witnessed by @slyfox, is Bond and Madeleine entering the hotel. Next day, all the sh** hits the fan!!! Or, all of this happens as pre-titles, a sort of mini-movie, and the longest Bond opening ever, but explains how Bond's and Madeleine's attempt to find a new a life together is wrecked, leaving Bond alone when, after the titles, we find him in Jamaica a few years later.

Yes, this is exactly what I was trying to explain two days ago. Correct. But I think the title credits after 40 minutes, let's say, would be too much. Plus, the presence of Bensallah in Matera kind of suggest those sequences stand for something that will be reprised further into the film. The idea that Bond presumes Madeleine is dead in Matera is pretty convincing.

@Someone BB comments were not wrong, lol. Jamaica is where the main plot of the film starts. She just didn't spoil the beginning. Do you remember SF synopsis? Obviously they didn't mentioned Bond getting "killed"...
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Bond will be in Jamaica by the 30-35 minute mark with two hours left in the film

We've seen clapperboard for scene 253, which works out at 177 minutes, 2hrs 57 minutes. Even if that is the very very final scene, it's a 3h movie basically. I just don't think we're looking at a 30 minute PTS or no PTS and a 30min mini movie of the Bond's life after Spectre. Something strange is going on.

Not necessarily, as per my earlier post, the earlier scenes (Norway) might be very short and sharp, so we end up more around the 20+ min mark - still long - before (after Matera) we jump to modern day Jamaica. (Originally the early cut of the LTK pre-title was pretty close to 20 mins but, and I remember this well, it was sharply tightened up.)
    edited September 2019 Posts: 4,343

We've seen clapperboard for scene 253, which works out at 177 minutes, 2hrs 57 minutes. Even if that is the very very final scene, it's a 3h movie basically. I just don't think we're looking at a 30 minute PTS or no PTS and a 30min mini movie of the Bond's life after Spectre. Something strange is going on.

I believe that was scene 53, or perhaps comes from the very end but the 2nd unit has a slightly different numbering system. NTTD will run 130-140 minutes, it seems. The script has this timing, it was confirmed by some of our members in Matera who had spoken to some people there.
    matt_u wrote: »
    @Someone BB comments were not wrong, lol. Jamaica is where the main plot of the film starts. She just didn't spoil the beginning. Do you remember SF synopsis? Obviously they didn't mentioned Bond getting "killed"...

The SF synopsis does say: "When James Bond's (Daniel Craig) latest assignment goes terribly wrong...," so it was referring to the PTS. The NTTD synopsis directly references Jamaica. "The film finds Bond retired from active service in MI6 in Jamaica," and BB said the film starts in Jamaica. I can't see how more categorical that can be, but we have early scenes, between 10 and 20, for Norway and Matera. None of the theories I've read here make any sense.

The SF synopsis does say: "When James Bond's (Daniel Craig) latest assignment goes terribly wrong...," so it was referring to the PTS. The NTTD synopsis directly references Jamaica. "The film finds Bond retired from active service in MI6 in Jamaica," and BB said the film starts in Jamaica. I can't see how more categorical that can be, but we have early scenes, between 10 and 20, for Norway and Matera. None of the theories I've read here make any sense.

Yes, BB said the film finds Bond retired, but that does not explicitly mean there are not pre-title scenes which set up why he is alone in Jamaica. I think, from what we are seeing, the most logical explanation is Norway, Matera, and then Jamaica, leading to Cuba and then back to UK and then Norway again.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 4,343

I don't see your point. Clapperboards don't lie. The Norway lake scene directly flows into Matera, that will last from scene 16/17 to 50+. Jamaica is after Matera. Try to use logic. SP ended with Bond resigning with Madeleine by his side. In Matera they are happy and in love. Then in Jamaica Bond is alone living in a cabin by the beach, alone. Matera is clearly a direct continuation of SP ending, and Jamaica is obviously after, and that's where the main plot about the scientist kicks in. The fact that BB didn't mentioned Matera as the first place where we'd find Bond means nothing. She just mentioned where we find Bond when the main plot start. It's not that complicated.

Yes, BB said the film finds Bond retired, but that does not explicitly mean there are not pre-title scenes which set up why he is alone in Jamaica. I think, from what we are seeing, the most logical explanation is Norway, Matera, and then Jamaica, leading to Cuba and then back to UK and then Norway again.

Yes. With a coda in Italy (or Italy doubling for Jamaica), if the rumors are true...

This is not goin to be a typical Bond film. Let's just think about how late in the game Bonds goes to M's office in London... like scene 140...
  • PavloPavlo Ukraine
    There were some rumours on early stages of production that NTTD can have non-linear structure and Cary will mix different scenes from different times and places.
    Pavlo wrote: »
    There were some rumours on early stages of production that NTTD can have non-linear structure and Cary will mix different scenes from different times and places.

Sounds too "extreme". Bond is no HBO TV show. Neither an arty effort. I think Cary will just toy with the pattern a bit.
    I wonder when he first see the mi6 gang
    I don't see your point...The fact that BB didn't mentioned Matera as the first place where we'd find Bond means nothing. She just mentioned where we find Bond when the main plot start. It's not that complicated.

This is not goin to be a typical Bond film. Let's just think about how late in the game Bonds goes to M's office in London... like scene 140...

Sorry, but, no, BB said when the film starts. During the Live Reveal Barbara Broccoli says, "Bond is not on active service when we start the film, so he is actually enjoying himself in Jamaica." Her exact words. Not story, film. You don't start a film 50 minutes in.

As Leiter sends Bond on his mission I haven't got a problem with M turning up at scene 140.

Think through that, the PTS is encompassing Norway and Matera. Matera has a clapperboard number of 54. The PTS is not going to be more than 15-20 mins. There is no way Matera is in the PTS. Maybe Norway, but not Matera.
    I don't see your point...The fact that BB didn't mentioned Matera as the first place where we'd find Bond means nothing. She just mentioned where we find Bond when the main plot start. It's not that complicated.

Sorry, but, no, BB said when the film starts. During the Live Reveal Barbara Broccoli says, "Bond is not on active service when we start the film, so he is actually enjoying himself in Jamaica." Her exact words. Not story, film. You don't start a film 50 minutes in.

As Leiter sends Bond on his mission I haven't got a problem with M turning up at scene 140.

Think through that, the PTS is encompassing Norway and Matera. Matera has a clapperboard number of 54. The PTS is not going to be more than 15-20 mins. There is no way Matera is in the PTS. Maybe Norway, but not Matera.

BB may have said that, but she, as producer, can and will choose what she and the filmmakers want us to know and what she/they want to hold back as a surprise. Simple as that.

Bond is not on active service in Matera either. He resigned in SP.

Norway could easily be the PTS and then Matera follows after the main titles. So the big action scenes that starts the film would be after the song, like in CR.

Point is, based in the clapperboards, Matera is before Jamaica.

Bond is not on active service in Matera either. He resigned in SP.

Norway could easily be the PTS and then Matera follows after the main titles. So the big action scenes that starts the film would be after the song, like in CR.

Point is, based in the clapperboards, Matera is before Jamaica.

Yes, that is logical and makes story sense following on from SP and showing what happens to Bond and Madeleine which, in some way, separates them, leaving Bond to be alone in Jamaica.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 6,665
    - Gunbarrel

- Opens up in a remote icy location in Austria. It's Mr. White's house. A young Madeleine wakes up to some commotion in the living room. Fetches the gun from under the sink, shoots her father's assailant in the face. He does not die, and follows her outside into the ice. She falls through. He shoots the ice and thinks she's dead.

- Cue Kleinman's titles, which aptly provide us some context on Swan's surviving that traumatic scene.

- Swann wakes up in the DB5. Bond's driving. They go through a tunnel into the gorgeous Matera. They arrive at the Hotel. Romantic scenes in Matera follow.

- Bond goes to the old cemetery alone. For some reason the mausoleum blows up and he is attacked by assassin's in an old Maserati and Triumph Scrambler.

- He runs to the bridge and jumps over into some trees. He flees.

- Running back to the town, he takes the Triumph from the assassin, using his tie to make him fall off his motorbike and goes to Swann.

- He takes her by the hand and they run to the DB5.

- Chase ensues. A mix of classic Bond stuff, like she sheep and the big airplane machine guns from the headlights.

- By the end of it, something happens which makes Bond think Swann is dead. Much like the assassin though in the original ice scene. Again Madeleine Swann is taken for dead.

- Years later, Bond is at Jamaica, fishing and sailing. His retirement is interrupted by his old pal Leiter, who informs him about a kidnapping of a scientist that's been held in Cuba. Leiter convinces Bond to help him with some very valid personal arguments. Meanwhile, at a party, he is contacted/seduced by an Mi6 agent who's keeping tabs on him and later she informs him about some CIA's double plot.

- Bond goes to Cuba. There he rescues the scientist in an awesome chase in Cuban streets and roofs (and falling into a bar).

- After all of that, Bond has to be briefed in London. So he goes back as a visitor. There he is made aware of his replacement. A person who he already knew from Jamaica (maybe she even helps him in Cuba).

I don't know. What do you guys think?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I think you pretty much nailed the structure down.

Many thanks. I think so to. That parallelism between
    young Swann being taken for dead and older Swann being taken for dead
    was quite smart, IM(NS)HO.

What happens after London is beyond me, though.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Univex wrote: »

Bare in mind that there are still crucial details we don't know yet, including Malek's character and his scheme, where Paloma falls in, Magnussen's character, what happens to Swann and where she shows up again in the story, and...
    where Blofeld falls in.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Univex wrote: »

Damn you @Univex thank God I stop reading after 1st line, nearly spoiled the film for myself. But from what little I read was quite good.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited September 2019 Posts: 1,165
    The spoiler tags are appreciated :D
  • Here's my take:
    • PRE-TITLE SEQUENCE: I suspect we will get something very brief featuring Bond. Something more akin to the CR sequence. It'll be around 2-3 minutes. Either that or we'll get the full sequence with the girl on the lake.
    • AFTER TITLES: The film either opens with the girl on the lake or we go straight to Bond and Swan in Matera. I'm thinking NTTD will be very similar in structure to the first big action set-piece of CR. You have to wait through the PTS and MTS to get the parkour chase. In fact, according to the shooting script of CR the Parkour chase runs from scene 22 to 35.

I think we will get to Matera around 12 minutes into the film and the sequences will finish around 25-30 minutes in. Perhaps even sooner.

This logic is flawed.

This scene from CR comes at around 140 minutes into the film, but is actually scene 205.

400091bdd6891f2206f956b1954b85f2.jpg

Basically no one knows the length of the film yet. Even the people making it. (Ps; they still have a month left to shoot!)
    First time we'd see Bond will be driving with Swann through the beautiful roads of Maratea, with the DB5, following directly the ending of SP.

Before that, the PTS will be a nightmarish scene in the frozen landscapes of Norway, where after some dialogs in the cabin, the horrifying masked man chases the girl. She would end up down the lake, and we will have to wait further into the film to find out her fate, her identity... my 2 cents...
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Here's my take:
    • PRE-TITLE SEQUENCE: I suspect we will get something very brief featuring Bond. Something more akin to the CR sequence. It'll be around 2-3 minutes. Either that or we'll get the full sequence with the girl on the lake.
    • AFTER TITLES: The film either opens with the girl on the lake or we go straight to Bond and Swan in Matera. I'm thinking NTTD will be very similar in structure to the first big action set-piece of CR. You have to wait through the PTS and MTS to get the parkour chase. In fact, according to the shooting script of CR the Parkour chase runs from scene 22 to 35.

I think we will get to Matera around 12 minutes into the film and the sequences will finish around 25-30 minutes in. Perhaps even sooner.

This logic is flawed.

This scene from CR comes at around 140 minutes into the film, but is actually scene 205.

400091bdd6891f2206f956b1954b85f2.jpg

Basically no one knows the length of the film yet. Even the people making it. (Ps; they still have a month left to shoot!)

To be fair, there were quite a few deleted scenes in CR.