NTTD: The Clapperboard thread

Comments

I haven’t heard too many guesses on where the third act and ending takes place or what that will consist of.
  • 18515388-7467109-image-a-75_1568590936986.jpg

I'm confused. The same recording has two scene numbers?
  • GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona
    This must be the most complex action sequence for a Bond-film in a long time. There has to be executed lots of editing, simply because there is so many doubling going on. I remember that during pre-production of CR, Daniel Craig was taking lots of car racing training on Silverstone.

In any case, this car chase better has to be as tight and memorable as other classic car chases.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    I haven’t heard too many guesses on where the third act and ending takes place or what that will consist of.

The final showdown I think it will happen at Malek mansion in Norway (the castle-like mansion filmed in Scotland) which will be part of a bigger sequence involving the Atlantic Road chase and some helicopter stunts.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 3,160
    They never filmed at or in the mansion, but used its private roads as the continuation of the Norway car chase.
    Station_Z wrote: »
    A-roll and B-roll.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Zekidk wrote: »
    They never filmed at or in the mansion, but used its private roads as the continuation of the Norway car chase.

We don’t know that for sure. They could’ve use the mansion for exterior shots and then filmed the interior at Pinewood. Just like they did with the Blenheim Palace in SP.
  • Zekidk wrote: »
    A-roll and B-roll.

Surely, they are not shooting B-roll with an IMAX camera…………….

I think the odd numbering may have something to do with IMAX. If anything the above photo confirms it. I don’t really know much about IMAX, but there are clearly two IMAX cameras attached to a rig on the AM.

I’m sure that some of the bigger fans of the format such as @antovolk can help explain a little more than I can.

I assume thy are ordering the IMAX shots in a different order from the other sequences. Hence why the numbers are difficult to keep track of.
    A-roll and B-roll.

Surely, they are not shooting B-roll with an IMAX camera………
    Camera to the right is not an IMAX cam by closer look. But I'm not 100% sure. Another possibility is that they are using the same exact shots twice, just from two different angles at two seperate times during the chase.
  • PavloPavlo Ukraine
    A-roll and B-roll.

Surely, they are not shooting B-roll with an IMAX camera………
    Camera to the right is not an IMAX cam by closer look.

It's IMAX camera.
    Both of them are.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Is that a screen in the middle of the hood, to help the driver?
    Or something else entirely?
    Univex wrote: »
    Both of them are.

A and B cameras.

LED lighting, to light up their faces when driving against the sun for example.
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    Both of them are.

A and B cameras.

That's correct for yesterday.

They also filmed with one genuine Aston Martin yesterday.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 870
    LED lighting, to light up their faces when driving against the sun for example.

Oh... thanks.
    Shown better here:
    teaserbreit.jpg
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    received-394734427911247.jpg
    The amount of time and effort that goes into putting sequences like these in any film of this type always amazes me.
  • Station_Z wrote: »
    18515388-7467109-image-a-75_1568590936986.jpg

A-roll and B-roll.
    A-roll and B-roll.

I think the odd numbering may have something to do with IMAX. If anything the above photo confirms it. I don’t really know much about IMAX, but there are clearly two IMAX cameras attached to a rig on the AM.

I’m sure that some of the bigger fans of the format such as @antovolk can help explain a little more than I can.

I assume thy are ordering the IMAX shots in a different order from the other sequences. Hence why the numbers are difficult to keep track of.

Sorry for the confusion. There’s a very simple explanation really, I just had the wrong scene on the slate. Honestly I quite like it, it would be a rather boring virgin pap if I’d have gotten it spot on anyway right?
    #seasonedprofessional
  • Station_Z wrote: »
    18515388-7467109-image-a-75_1568590936986.jpg

A-roll and B-roll.
    A-roll and B-roll.

Sorry for the confusion. There’s a very simple explanation really, I just had the wrong scene on the slate. Honestly I quite like it, it would be a rather boring virgin pap if I’d have gotten it spot on anyway right?
    #seasonedprofessional

If this is genuine I'd like it very much :) Imagine the confusion you'll give to the editor when he has to insert a close-up of Bond in a bike chase but finds a shot of him behind the steering wheel for this scene number ;)

Btw, you're the one on the left? I guess 45 is not only the number on the right, but also the right one
  • NickThunderballsNickThunderballs Australia
    antovolk wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    That's probably because Nolan is one of the only filmmakers to shoot IMAX. Like, properly :P. Aside from him only ones in the last couple years were Damien Chazelle with First Man (the moonwalk finale had an aspect ratio change for the whole sequence) and Zack Snyder with Batman v Superman (a few full sequences in the format, but expanded image didn't make it to the Blu-ray unfortunately). Avengers Infinity War and Endgame were filmed on the IMAX digital cameras entirely so in these cinemas they were presented expanded for the whole film, but on disc only in 2.40:1.

Yep I know, but it depends in which theaters you see those films. I saw BvS (many times) in regular non-IMAX theaters and there was no change in the aspect ratio. None on the BvS BD either. But the aspect ratio change was always present in the same theater* (and BD as well obviously) speaking about Nolan... so I believe NTTD will face the same BvS treatment. Point is, Nolan wants to present the audiences the power of IMAX even if they watch the film on a laptop. Which is, uhm, weird. Always hated the aspect ratio changes and for example if u see the BvS Nightmare sequence on BD you are still able to enjoy the difference without that annoying aspect ratio bug.

*You say the aspect ratio change happens only in IMAX... but I remember Dunkirk had that change also in the theater, and it was no-IMAX...

Yeah, Blu-ray is an interesting one as some filmmakers (like Nolan and Chazelle) have chosen to have the IMAX versions on there (and McQuarrie on Fallout), but Snyder didn't on BvS, Brad Bird specifically said no to it on Mission Impossible 4, the Russos didn't get it on Avengers... We'll have to wait and see what Cary chooses to do as the decision for the home media release is in his and EON's hands.

As to the point about theatres though...I know for a fact Dunkirk was only presented in 2.20:1 (the aspect ratio of the non-IMAX sequences in that film) in regular theatres. You must have seen it in IMAX if you got the ratio changes. The only film 'shot on IMAX' to have the changes everywhere was Transformers The Last Knight and that was a real vomit of AR changes as Bay alternated between the digital IMAX 'A' camera and regular 'B' cameras in the same scene, shot to shot, every time almost. Yuck.

@antovolk I'm going to need some serious convincing that the switching aspect ratios is a good idea. I understand that Christopher Nolan-sycophants believe it to be the ultimate storyteller mechanism. But I can’t help but feel the wider aspect ratio fetishizes action sequences and “money shots.”

Christopher Nolan is as bad as Michael Bay in this respect. If you’re going to switch aspect ratios, at least do it for a narrative purpose such as in Life of Pi, First Man or the second Hunger Games films.

(Also, Mission: impossible – Fallout doesn’t count. McQuarrie is a total fraud and didn’t even use IMAX cameras, it’s still 35mm)

If you want to film in a wider aspect ratio, then just fill the screen and don’t crop to widescreen throughout. Some of the best examples of modern cinematography are found in 1.85:1. I’d love to see a Bond film return to this aspect ratio!

Anyway, rant over……………………………more from the set. Plus our first look at Dali Benssalah. Who, aside from the brief glimpse at Nomi, is the ONLY new character we have seen!

18569148-7472445-image-m-51_1568711032123.jpg

18569164-7472445-image-m-59_1568711525686.jpg

18569186-7472445-image-a-80_1568712143855.jpg

18569174-7472445-image-m-130_1568712771203.jpg

18569152-7472445-image-a-128_1568712696652.jpg

Scene 37 on the clapper..??????

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    That's probably because Nolan is one of the only filmmakers to shoot IMAX. Like, properly :P. Aside from him only ones in the last couple years were Damien Chazelle with First Man (the moonwalk finale had an aspect ratio change for the whole sequence) and Zack Snyder with Batman v Superman (a few full sequences in the format, but expanded image didn't make it to the Blu-ray unfortunately). Avengers Infinity War and Endgame were filmed on the IMAX digital cameras entirely so in these cinemas they were presented expanded for the whole film, but on disc only in 2.40:1.

Yep I know, but it depends in which theaters you see those films. I saw BvS (many times) in regular non-IMAX theaters and there was no change in the aspect ratio. None on the BvS BD either. But the aspect ratio change was always present in the same theater* (and BD as well obviously) speaking about Nolan... so I believe NTTD will face the same BvS treatment. Point is, Nolan wants to present the audiences the power of IMAX even if they watch the film on a laptop. Which is, uhm, weird. Always hated the aspect ratio changes and for example if u see the BvS Nightmare sequence on BD you are still able to enjoy the difference without that annoying aspect ratio bug.

*You say the aspect ratio change happens only in IMAX... but I remember Dunkirk had that change also in the theater, and it was no-IMAX...

Yeah, Blu-ray is an interesting one as some filmmakers (like Nolan and Chazelle) have chosen to have the IMAX versions on there (and McQuarrie on Fallout), but Snyder didn't on BvS, Brad Bird specifically said no to it on Mission Impossible 4, the Russos didn't get it on Avengers... We'll have to wait and see what Cary chooses to do as the decision for the home media release is in his and EON's hands.

As to the point about theatres though...I know for a fact Dunkirk was only presented in 2.20:1 (the aspect ratio of the non-IMAX sequences in that film) in regular theatres. You must have seen it in IMAX if you got the ratio changes. The only film 'shot on IMAX' to have the changes everywhere was Transformers The Last Knight and that was a real vomit of AR changes as Bay alternated between the digital IMAX 'A' camera and regular 'B' cameras in the same scene, shot to shot, every time almost. Yuck.

@antovolk I'm going to need some serious convincing that the switching aspect ratios is a good idea. I understand that Christopher Nolan-sycophants believe it to be the ultimate storyteller mechanism. But I can’t help but feel the wider aspect ratio fetishizes action sequences and “money shots.”

Christopher Nolan is as bad as Michael Bay in this respect. If you’re going to switch aspect ratios, at least do it for a narrative purpose such as in Life of Pi, First Man or the second Hunger Games films.

(Also, Mission: impossible – Fallout doesn’t count. McQuarrie is a total fraud and didn’t even use IMAX cameras, it’s still 35mm)

If you want to film in a wider aspect ratio, then just fill the screen and don’t crop to widescreen throughout. Some of the best examples of modern cinematography are found in 1.85:1. I’d love to see a Bond film return to this aspect ratio!

Anyway, rant over……………………………more from the set. Plus our first look at Dali Benssalah. Who, aside from the brief glimpse at Nomi, is the ONLY new character we have seen!

We've already established that Matera is scene 19-50s, likely with some location jumping in between.
  • NickThunderballsNickThunderballs Australia
    jake24 wrote: »

We've already established that Matera is scene 19-50s, likely with some location jumping in between.

Just posting in some photo evidence, sorry
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

It'd be interesting to see where the fight comes in the overall sequence. We know it's not the end...

It'd be interesting to see where the fight comes in the overall sequence. We know it's not the end...

I'd say, Bond visits Vesper's grave on his own so he can quietly and privately have closure so he can finally move on with his new life. Madeleine is alone back at the hotel. The bomb goes off. Bond, injured and bloody, races to get back to Madeleine before she is in danger. He's forced to jump from the bridge (as per the stunt) and he scrambles back into the town while being pursued by the motorbike rider. Bond ambushes the bike in the streets - the fight scene - Bond speeds off on the bike, riding up and down the narrow lanes and steps, and he does a high bike jump to land on the hotel balcony. He breaks into the hotel room and finds a startled Madeleine. They rush to get to the DB5. Jump into the car to escape, but then the cars and other bike riders chase them. I suspect the end of the chase will be on the coastal road which has been established (in opening scenes set the day before) to be close to the town.
    1. Graveyard
    2. Bond runs toward bridge, while the evil-doers are closing in. He jumps
    3. He runs. Evil-doer on bike chases him
    4. Bond hides. Knocks evil-doer off the bike
    5. Fistfight. Bond loses his tie. Steals bike
    6. Bond on bike races through Matera, trying to get to the hotel-room
    7. Hotelroom. Just in time to pickup Swann before the room explodes.
    8. Both in the Aston Martin. Now being chased by cars, where 1st evildoer who lost his bike is now a passenger. Also a 2nd bike joins the chase.
    9. Chase ends with Bond escaping and Swann either dead, missing or captured

1. Graveyard
    8. Both in the Aston Martin. Now being chased by cars, where 1st evildoer who lost his bike is now a passenger. Also a 2nd bike joins the chase.

Yes, good point about the hotel explosion. So the Vesper grave blows up. Bond gets phone call warning him the hotel room, where he has left Madeleine, has a bomb hidden in it or nearby, so now Bond has to race back to the town to save her (assuming her phone etc. is blocked so he can't call and warn her) - we see Bond running from cemetery, but he's then trapped on the bridge by the bike rider and the car at either end, so he jumps...

I think the night before, when Bond and Madeleine arrive in the town, he gets suspicious they are being watched (from those pics on the steps), but Maddy tries to calm and relax him and he kisses her to reassure her he's ok.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 151

Scenes 19-50s? Eh, how did you decide that? I think the earliest Matera clapperboard we've seen is for scene 37, which would be 26 minutes. Norway is scene 15K, which is about 11 minutes. Where did you get scene 19 from? What clapperboard is that?
    1. Graveyard

Or Bond finds Madeleine in the street (as we saw him kissing her and her seemingly surprised) and they get in the DB5 and they finally get back to the hotel after the car chase ends and Madeleine goes in to get their stuff and kaboom, she's dead.
    Someone wrote: »

Scenes 19-50s? Eh, how did you decide that? I think the earliest clapperboard we've seen is for scene 37, which would be 26 minutes, and the latest scene we have is 48, which is 34 minutes. Norway is scene 15K, which is about 11 minutes. Where did you get scene 19 from? What clapperboard is that?

The scene I watched here in Matera two days ago. Bond and Swann arriving at their hotel entrance with the hotel staff carrying their luggage in after them. Scene 19.