The movie poster thread

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    the-ambushers-md-web.jpg

Another good 60"s poster, I really need to get hold of these movies on dvd.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 17,241
    I remember watching the Matt Helm films some years ago. I think it was a streaming service, but can't remember which one. Can't remember much of the plots, but they were entertaining. Love the poster artwork for the films. Looks like they're made by Robert McGinnis!
    Some recent finds (the images are a bit big, so I've put them in a spoiler tag:
    25-north-by-northwest-re-release-italian-2-foglio-1966-01.jpg
    21-vertigo-italian-2-foglio-1958-01.jpg
    31-grenoble-japanese-b1-1968-01.jpg
    16-girl-on-a-motorcycle-italian-2-foglio-1968-01-855x1200.jpg
    20-vanishing-point-italian-4-foglio-1971-01-853x1200.jpg
    5-convoy-japanese-b0-1978-01.jpg
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2019 Posts: 23,104

I like the North by Northwest poster, I think I may have a crack at making a poster with an amalgamation of images from different movies.

The Barry Newman poster must be Vanishing Point?

I like the North by Northwest poster, I think I may have a crack at making a poster with an amalgamation of images from different movies.

That's a really good idea! There are plenty of posters I want to see on the wall at home, but I won't have room for all of them. If I can find decent high-quality images online, I could try making a collage of several films.
    The Barry Newman poster must be Vanishing Point?

I think so!

Vanishing Point is a film I'm yet to watch. Must do something about that.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    big-jim-mclain-marijuana-italian-poster-luigi-martinati.jpeg?w=584
    big-jim-mclain-marijuana-italian-poster-luigi-martinati.jpeg?w=584

Had to google this one. Interestingly, the film (originally called Big Jim McLain) starts John Wayne and James Arness "…as HUAC investigators hunting down communists in the post-war Hawaii organized labor scene".

"In some European markets the film was retitled as Marijuana and dispensed with the communist angle, making the villains drug dealers instead. This was achieved entirely through script changes and dubbing."

How about that!
    Well, in Europe, the communist party was a legitimate political party, and in those days quite powerful. The same thing happened with Samuel Fuller's Pickup on South Street, the communist agents being changed to drug dealers. In France, the movie was even called Le Port de la Drogue (Drug Harbour).
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 17,241
    Gerard wrote: »
    Well, in Europe, the communist party was a legitimate political party, and in those days quite powerful. The same thing happened with Samuel Fuller's Pickup on South Street, the communist agents being changed to drug dealers. In France, the movie was even called Le Port de la Drogue (Drug Harbour).

Indeed, the political landscape was different in Europe than in the U.S. I find it interesting that they went through the trouble of changing the films in the dubbing process in order to presumably make them more marketable.

Didn't know that about Pickup on South Street, by the way. Thanks for the info!
    That's a really good idea! There are plenty of posters I want to see on the wall at home, but I won't have room for all of them. If I can find decent high-quality images online, I could try making a collage of several films.

I think I'll start of with an easy one perhaps a retro looking TSWLM or MR poster using 1950"s images

I think I'll start of with an easy one perhaps a retro looking TSWLM or MR poster using 1950"s images

Oh, I thought you meant just putting complete posters together on a print! Making a collage of several poster elements could make a great poster too.

Oh, I thought you meant just putting complete posters together on a print! Making a collage of several poster elements could make a great poster too.

I do print my own posters I have a decent Epson workforce printer/scanner, I framed a Bruce Lee image the other day

I do print my own posters I have a decent Epson workforce printer/scanner, I framed a Bruce Lee image the other day

I have a couple printers myself, but both are A4 and neither are the type you get decent quality art prints from.

I have a couple printers myself, but both are A4 and neither are the type you get decent quality art prints from.

The quality is excellent on mine though the ink is quite expensive

Ink is really expensive! For one of my printers (the cheapest one), a pack of replacement ink cartridges cost the same as I paid for the printer itself!

Ink is really expensive! For one of my printers (the cheapest one), a pack of replacement ink cartridges cost the same as I paid for the printer itself!

That sounds about right and I refuse to purchase cheaper ink it's not worth it if it messes your printer up, occasionally I will print a poster as a treat to myself though my wall space is very limited, I am due a clear out and maybe change up what prints I'll put on my wall.

That sounds about right and I refuse to purchase cheaper ink it's not worth it if it messes your printer up, occasionally I will print a poster as a treat to myself though my wall space is very limited, I am due a clear out and maybe change up what prints I'll put on my wall.

Yes, buying cheaper ink can be a bit risky sometimes. For that cheaper printer, buying ink from the manufacturer or cheaper ink isn't much of a price difference, so I usually end up spending the extra cash needed to buy ink from the manufacturer.

I like that printing at home makes it easier to change artworks more often, and I'm tempted to try that. What I would really like though is to get myself one large poster from one of the many films I like, but I haven't decided which one yet.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    91wtTHcD-%2BL._SY550_.jpg
    51K46CSZTDL.jpg

Yes, buying cheaper ink can be a bit risky sometimes. For that cheaper printer, buying ink from the manufacturer or cheaper ink isn't much of a price difference, so I usually end up spending the extra cash needed to buy ink from the manufacturer.

I like that printing at home makes it easier to change artworks more often, and I'm tempted to try that. What I would really like though is to get myself one large poster from one of the many films I like, but I haven't decided which one yet.

There used to be some great retro shops where I live with superb memorabilia and movie art alas the shops shut down, could not compete with online. I look for bargains on ebay though not bought any posters for a while. The last bargain I found was a sealed Bond 50th Anniversary Post Card Boxset which I won't open lol
    51K46CSZTDL.jpg

Never seen that first one, but I've seen the second one before. Can't remember where though, but possibly as a prop in a TV show.

There used to be some great retro shops where I live with superb memorabilia and movie art alas the shops shut down, could not compete with online. I look for bargains on ebay though not bought any posters for a while. The last bargain I found was a sealed Bond 50th Anniversary Post Card Boxset which I won't open lol

Never had shops like that around these part. Would have been cool to have though!

Ebay certainly has a lot to offer in memorabilia, posters and stuff like that. Never bought anything through the site myself, but it's probably the place to go when searching for poster prints.

That postcard boxset must be a great find!

Orange variant , rare
    51K46CSZTDL.jpg

Never seen that first one, but I've seen the second one before. Can't remember where though, but possibly as a prop in a TV show.

Never had shops like that around these part. Would have been cool to have though!

Ebay certainly has a lot to offer in memorabilia, posters and stuff like that. Never bought anything through the site myself, but it's probably the place to go when searching for poster prints.

I only buy bargains, I have found a few. Even though some items I probably would keep I always take into consideration resale value I had that drilled into me from an early age when buying collectable etc.

Yeah the boxset cost me next to nothing and seen it brand new and sealed at six times the money I paid.
    Tracy wrote: »

Orange variant , rare

That's Fist of Fury, right?
    51K46CSZTDL.jpg

I only buy bargains, I have found a few. Even though some items I probably would keep I always take into consideration resale value I had that drilled into me from an early age when buying collectable etc.

Yeah the boxset cost me next to nothing and seen it brand new and sealed at six times the money I paid.

I've never had resale value in mind the few times I've bought collectables, but it might be something to take into consideration. Quickly browsed through Ebay for some posters, and there are definitely bargains out there. Prices do vary a bit though, so it's probably best to do research before buying. Vintage posters are too expensive for me though, so I have to do with new prints of old posters.

Can't do much better than a purchase like that! Should probably get myself some Bond memorabilia, but I'm really not much of a collector. A couple of posters/objects could be cool to have.

Orange variant , rare

51K46CSZTDL.jpg

I've never had resale value in mind the few times I've bought collectables, but it might be something to take into consideration. Quickly browsed through Ebay for some posters, and there are definitely bargains out there. Prices do vary a bit though, so it's probably best to do research before buying. Vintage posters are too expensive for me though, so I have to do with new prints of old posters.

Can't do much better than a purchase like that! Should probably get myself some Bond memorabilia, but I'm really not much of a collector. A couple of posters/objects could be cool to have.

Yeah its best to assess how prices vary unless its an item that is very rare, plus I am very cautious regarding what sellers I buy from I read through all the reviews and feed back from buyers. I have had to complain and get refunds on numerous occasions

Orange variant , rare

51K46CSZTDL.jpg

Yeah its best to assess how prices vary unless its an item that is very rare, plus I am very cautious regarding what sellers I buy from I read through all the reviews and feed back from buyers. I have had to complain and get refunds on numerous occasions

That the main thing I'm wary of re. Ebay – you can end up purchasing from an unreliable seller.

Cool posters, @Tracy! Is that first one from a comic book?
    @Tracy great posters are these your personal collection?
    Yes , my collection.......Bravestarr is from toys (you had to collect all four to get the whole poster , great sales gimmick) so not a movie poster but nice art still
    Yes , my collection.......Bravestarr is from toys (you had to collect all four to get the whole poster , great sales gimmick) so not a movie poster but nice art still

Indeed, that's very clever! How big is your poster collection?