Do you believe in aliens and UFOs?

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    This is exactly what I saw the last time I had poured too much "Ultra Strong Tabasco" over my food.

I hope you put the toilet roll in the fridge beforehand.

Two.

Two rolls.

Good. It's best to be prepared.
  • MofMI6MofMI6 Midwest US
    Extraterrestrials? Yes!
    Extradimensionals? Quite possibly.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Yes i believe....it would be arrogant to think we are the only life form out there.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    As in The meaning of life ...... we have to hope there's intelligent life out there, as there's bugger all here on earth. ;-)
    As in The meaning of life ...... we have to hope there's intelligent life out there, as there's bugger all here on earth. ;-)

The truest quote of the day,right there.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Yes i believe....it would be arrogant to think we are the only life form out there.

Many believe there might be other life forms out there. That is not the issue. The crazy logistics behind ufoes in our solar system that most people question however, is this: How the hell are they gonna get here??? Have you taken the distances in space into consideration?

And if we first start with the idea that some mind blowing way of space travel unknowned to us exist and that some hyperintelligent species somewhere in the endless univers managed to discover it and perfect it: how, with billions of galaxies, solar systems and planets, are they gonna find us? Would they even bother?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Apparently today is world UFO day, so keep watching the skies.
    edited May 2019 Posts: 17,727
    Does anyone here remember Roger Cook and The Cook Report? I remember watching it as a child in the 1990s. Posted below is a YouTube link to a different kind of episode from the investigative journalism show. James Bond even gets a mention!

The Cook Report [1987] - Close Encounters:

A non-confrontational but somewhat eerie episode as Roger Cook investigates the likely cover up behind the strange goings-on at two different properties in the west of England.

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited May 2019 Posts: 8,655
    I just discovered this thread for the first time, and as my first posting I' d simply like to answer the question that serves as the thread title: No, not at all.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I just discovered this thread for the first time, and as my first posting I' d simply like to answer the question that serves as the thread title: No, not at all.

Thank you for your succinct reply, @j_w_pepper. Short and sweet! If you read the OP of this thread you'll see that I'm of the same opinion.

That being said, it is still an interesting topic to discuss and research, hence the creation of this thread. It was part of a now concluded miniseries of threads on weird phenomena. If you're interested, you'll find them all under the "Do you believe...?" label.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Don't get me wrong, @Dragonpol. I'm not at all trying to question the legitimacy of this thread 's existence as such. Everybody can discuss anything -- provided the mods let him :-). It's just that I wasn't aware of this thread (or the others you mentioned) until tonight and somehow felt I had to make a point.

Is there a thread about time travel? Haven't found it by way of the search function.

j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, @Dragonpol. I'm not at all trying to question the legitimacy of this thread 's existence as such. Everybody can discuss anything -- provided the mods let him :-). It's just that I wasn't aware of this thread (or the others you mentioned) until tonight and somehow felt I had to make a point.

Is there a thread about time travel? Haven't found it by way of the search function.

No worries.

No, but there were individual ones on ghosts, psychic mediums/fortune tellers, astrology, the Illuminati and David Icke (that particular one was since re-titled 'The General Oddities Thread'). If you're interested in any of those topics you'll find the links in the Discussions list on my profile page.

If you'd like to discuss time travel, then please feel free to post about it in my other more general weird phenomena thread here:

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/10164/the-lord-dragonpols-strange-and-bizarre-mysterious-world-thread/p1
    This is a biggie. It's actual footage of alien contact:

;)
    While working on the early 90's mini series "Intruders" about alien abduction and visitations the things I experienced make it hard for me to discount the existence of some kind of entities that are interacting with us.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    I believe that life does exist on another planet somewhere. The chance of that not being the case in the unimaginably vast universe with countless planets is just too slim. It is far more likely life exists elsewhere than not.
    Having said that I don't believe we will ever make contact with any other life and vice versa. I think the best we can hope for is to discover EVIDENCE of bacterial life somewhere.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    * possibly discovered before Brexit is resolved. All bets are off.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 17,727
    delfloria wrote: »
    While working on the early 90's mini series "Intruders" about alien abduction and visitations the things I experienced make it hard for me to discount the existence of some kind of entities that are interacting with us.

That sounds truly fascinating. Can you tell us some more about your experiences and about the mini series you were involved with?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

That sounds truly fascinating. Can you tell us some more about your experiences and about the mini series you were involved with?

But prepare to be ridiculed and harrassed by the pseudo-skeptics.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 17,727

But prepare to be ridiculed and harrassed by the pseudo-skeptics.

Who cares what those people think? Screw 'em. This thread isn't for them; there's enough of that tiresome drivel elsewhere. Contributors here and in my other Fortean subject threads should not feel discouraged to post their thoughts and experiences. There is no welcome mat for ridicule here.

That is why I set this series of threads up in the first place as I sought to learn more about various phenomena I find interesting.

So, I would say to any present or future contributor here, share your stories. Tell your truth and fear not, as I will defend your right to share your experiences. I never go back on my word. It would be very bad for my reputation. :)
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    I wish I could believe in this sort of thing - but I don't. Especially in modern times. Most abductions seem to happen on empty roads in the middle of nowhere with no one about... and since everyone carries a video camera in their pocket nowadays - getting evidence of such things would be easier.

E.T and Close Encounters are two of my favourite movies. I enjoy quite a lot of science fiction stories - but do I believe in this stuff for real? Sorry, no.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The problem is this. Looking back to when the first abduction stories began to surface, A) the vast majority of those arrived after Hollywood had begun screening alien invasion movies, and B) there seemed to be a strange desire for aliens to especially pick up Americans in thinly populated areas and then put them back.

Surely, if aliens with technologies vastly superior to ours were probing us the way we probe certain animals for research, they would merely throw us away after the tests or keep us under further observation until we die. Also, aliens advanced enough to have figured out ways to hop from solar system to solar system in a reasonable amount of time, which is still quite unthinkable for us, would most likely need but a drop of our blood to analyze and completely interpret our DNA and with that, who we are. If they wish to conduct sociological studies, they have to observe us in groups rather than pick up a few random samples here and there.

Worst of all, it's surprising that aliens love to abduct Americans all that much. Where are all those alien abduction stories from everywhere else? Judging by the sheer amount of alien abductions reported in the USA alone and extrapolating for the rest of the world, almost every single one of us should know at least one or two people who claim to have been beamed up in a UFO at night with, as @BondStu correctly pointed out, no cameras or anything of the kind on them.

Why would these aliens be so sneaky about it? Do we make ourselves invisible to inferior species when we wish to study a few of their kind? Are we worried about whether or not a few fish spot us standing on the shore with a bucket full of their uncles and aunts? Understand, please, that to aliens who possess the technology required to reach us in the first place, we are less than ants or maggots. So what if we can land on the Moon? We can't even manipulate wormholes, bend space and time or render the laws of physics mute for a while, which must be kindergarten physics to them. We make fun of cute little birds building a nest while we erect skyscrapers. Those aliens would be making fun of our cars and airplanes, still exhausting fumes like machines from darker ages. They would neither fear nor be particularly interested in us, except for the sake of archiving additional information in their cosmic encyclopedia. And then they'd simply move on. Why would they strategically choose to beam up loner x and hiker y, with a particular preference for a certain group of people, i.e. living in certain places, out at night, not very educated, American, ..., while doing it all ninja style?
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    Hit the nail on the head there @DarthDimi . I always hated the "it's such a big universe" argument. I actually think that's a cop out.

If people look back - they would find that the argument they're presenting originated in someone's imagination. Aliens are a modern day Jungian archetype. Much like the vampire, the werewolf and such and such. A boogieman. A thing that goes bump in the night.

There's nothing out there.
    I have to respectfully disagree. It is naïve to think their is nothing out there? Casing point is all the new species in the deep oceans of our own planet.

Life as we should all realise takes many different forms and in all shapes and sizes.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I don't think nothing's there. The argument that the universe is a really big place (billions upon billions of galaxies, each containing billions upon billions of stars) holds up. The universe truly is a very big place and it has existed more than long enough for advanced alien civilisations to have arisen. In fact, statistically speaking, the chances of such advanced alien civilisations are almost 100 %.

But the same argument for the large probability of advanced civilisations other than our own can also be used against the notion that we were already visited by one. Again, the universe is an immensely big place. Statistically, the chances of anyone finding us in the vastness of space, fairly remote from the black hole at the centre of our Milky Way Galaxy, revolving a non-descript, average G-type star, are practically 0. Even if aliens went deliberately looking for stars, planets and satellites fit to spawn life, the total number of those would still be impossible to contemplate. A thin slice out of an unfathomably large pie still represents an enormous quantity.

So while I have no trouble believing that aliens exist, I have the utmost trouble believing that mankind in its present form has or ever will be visited by them.

Anyone interested in this stuff should really read
    • Extraterrestrial Civilizations by Isaac Asimov
    • The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan

The former is meant to please everyone while the latter will mostly please non-believers like me but was really written for believers unwilling to abandon their belief in alien abductions and whatnot.
    Wether life exists elsewhere in thf universe or not, isn't the defining factor here. There could well be. The obstacle however is a) how the hell are they gonna get here and b) if they are capable of it, why would they bother or be even interested in us? @DarthDimi makes an amusing point of it ;))
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Personally I believe in aliens as in I think that the universe is so big that there has to be at least another advanced civilization out there. If anything, I want to believe there is one.

As for Area 51, alien abductions and identified flying saucers, the ancient astronaut theory, no, I don't think any of those are real. I own a couple of books about that stuff and I enjoy discussing it, because there is a part of me that is entertained by the thought that they might have happened, but I'm rational enough to think that it's all false.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Have people stormed area 51?
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 1,693
    Took me a while to check in. I don't have enough time to detail a lot but I sat with people under hypnosis who say they had been abducted. Their stories were chillingly the same and heartfelt. There were descriptions of alien activities from these sessions we were not allowed to be included in the series because it's used as a litmus test while conducting interviews with abductees. These are things that abductees describe that have NEVER been seen in films or TV shows. Also while working on the series, because it was a subject of conversation in our day to day lives, it was fascinating to have business associates and relatives come out of the wood work to talk about their encounters because I was somebody who would understand what they had experienced. It was eye opening to find out how many stories there are out there from people who have no reason to make this stuff up. When I finished the series and moved on to other subjects the these stories decreased and finally dried up because I had moved on. Having said that, these people had no reason to make up these stories considering how crazy it made them appear.